LTH Home

Cafe Zupas - Schaumburg soup, salad, sandwiches

Cafe Zupas - Schaumburg soup, salad, sandwiches
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Cafe Zupas - Schaumburg soup, salad, sandwiches

Post #1 - July 27th, 2017, 7:51 am
    Post #1 - July 27th, 2017, 7:51 am Post #1 - July 27th, 2017, 7:51 am
    The Woodfield Green shopping center (north side of Golf across from Woodfield) has several decent sit-down restaurants (Kuma's, California Pizza kitchen), but is relatively shy on fast food: A Qdoba, a Subway, and tucked in behind Michaels and MattressFirm, Cafe Zupas. It's not a big chain, with most of their outlets in Utah, Nevada and Arizona, but expanding to midwest states including 3 in the Chicago burbs (Wheeling and Bloomingdale, others opening soon).

While it's hard to spot from the center's parking areas, it was doing very good business at 2PM on a Saturday. The sandwiches, soups and salads seem a little more exotic than Potbelly, Panera or the other fast-casual delis by running several items through different combinations: pulled pork makes its way into sandwiches labeled carnitas, BBQ and a Cuban; I had the crab and avocado melt, which was delicious but could have used more crab. SueF had the enchilada soup (one of 10 plus seasonal specials) which was very tasty.

Gimmicks include a free chocolate-dipped strawberry (made in-store) with every order, house fountain drinks and add-in syrups on top of the standard Coke products, creme brulees for dessert. They emphasize that everything is made in-house (not sure about the breads), with notes on local suppliers (Wisconsin cheeses here, I would imagine California for the mountain states).

Salads and sandwich ingredients looked very fresh, and the place was bright and friendly (so much better than Subway). Prices are reasonable with salads and sandwiches around $5.99, soups in two sizes flanking that price. I'd definitely go back again when in the neighborhood.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - August 16th, 2017, 2:01 pm
    Post #2 - August 16th, 2017, 2:01 pm Post #2 - August 16th, 2017, 2:01 pm
    Despite living nearby, last night was the first time we tried it. A friend who works closer to Woodfield says it's his favorite lunch place.

Maybe it was partially because I was really hungry and therefore especially indecisive, but it was very overwhelming at first because there are so many options for sandwiches, soups, and salads, and then lots of variations on top of it all.

Like you, JoelF, I also had the crab avocado sandwich, in addition to half of a Maui chicken salad, and got a large tortilla soup to bring to work for lunch today. It thought it was all really good. A little on the salty side, but everything is a little salty for me. I think you could really tell the "made in-house" difference in the soup in particular.
  • Post #3 - August 16th, 2017, 6:21 pm
    Post #3 - August 16th, 2017, 6:21 pm Post #3 - August 16th, 2017, 6:21 pm
    Is it just me? Do Zupas and Zoup! seem too alike? I get them confused.....
  • Post #4 - September 14th, 2017, 10:51 am
    Post #4 - September 14th, 2017, 10:51 am Post #4 - September 14th, 2017, 10:51 am
    Stopped by today w/a co-worker for lunch. We both split our sandwiches (crab avocado & the Cuban). I found both just to be ok.

Now the mushroom bisque, I was really pleased, delicious. When weather gets cooler later this fall, I look forward to exploring more of the numerous soups they offer.

Side note: wow do they have a lot of people working at this store. I got the sense that some were in training for new locations based on number of employees.

Cafe Zupas
    1422 E. Golf Rd.
    Schaumburg, IL 60173
    (630) 259-4062
    http://cafezupas.com/locations/illinois/schaumburg
    -
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #5 - September 18th, 2017, 9:27 am
    Post #5 - September 18th, 2017, 9:27 am Post #5 - September 18th, 2017, 9:27 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:Side note: wow do they have a lot of people working at this store. I got the sense that some were in training for new locations based on number of employees.

There's a sign up on the new construction in Kildeer on Rand Rd/Rt. 12, near Plum Grove Rd for a new location.
  • Post #6 - September 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm
    Post #6 - September 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm Post #6 - September 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm
    They are proposing a location in the old Stoney River/Biaggi's in Deerfield.
  • Post #7 - September 18th, 2017, 9:10 pm
    Post #7 - September 18th, 2017, 9:10 pm Post #7 - September 18th, 2017, 9:10 pm
    Do you know if they cook soups on premises ?
  • Post #8 - September 18th, 2017, 9:32 pm
    Post #8 - September 18th, 2017, 9:32 pm Post #8 - September 18th, 2017, 9:32 pm
    Lenny007 wrote:Do you know if they cook soups on premises ?

An aside, I once just adored a soup at a tea room. At my next visit, I saw frozen soup at Costco with the very same name. I bought it to find it was the same soup I enjoyed at this tea room. My gut feeling, I was eating the very same soup.

So Lenny, are you coming to the picnic this weekend to show off your talents? :D

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #9 - September 19th, 2017, 6:59 am
    Post #9 - September 19th, 2017, 6:59 am Post #9 - September 19th, 2017, 6:59 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Lenny007 wrote:Do you know if they cook soups on premises ?

An aside, I once just adored a soup at a tea room. At my next visit, I saw frozen soup at Costco with the very same name. I bought it to find it was the same soup I enjoyed at this tea room. My gut feeling, I was eating the very same soup.

So Lenny, are you coming to the picnic this weekend to show off your talents? :D

Regards,
    Cathy2

No, because I am currently working hard to commercialize them.

As far as Zupas, I checked their website and haven't found anything exciting.
  • Post #10 - November 9th, 2017, 12:02 pm
    Post #10 - November 9th, 2017, 12:02 pm Post #10 - November 9th, 2017, 12:02 pm
    Mushroom Bisque hit the spot today, really good soup.

Was offered a taste of the German Sausage soup, a seasonal soup, quite nice I'd certainly have been pleased to get a bowl of it.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #11 - November 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm
    Post #11 - November 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm Post #11 - November 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm
    Just curious. Is it crab-avocado or krab-avocado?

D.
  • Post #12 - December 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    Post #12 - December 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm Post #12 - December 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    Ram4 wrote:They are proposing a location in the old Stoney River/Biaggi's in Deerfield.

It’s open.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more