Anybody been?

11 E Walton St
    Waldorf Astoria Hotel
    Chicago, IL 60611
    (312) 625-1324
  • Post #2 - August 31st, 2017, 11:45 pm
    Post #2 - August 31st, 2017, 11:45 pm Post #2 - August 31st, 2017, 11:45 pm
    Sula reviewed it. I lol'd at this passage:

"Don't be tempted by the cheese chariot. The wan and limited selection makes it feel like choosing from a gurney in a cheese hospice."

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #3 - September 1st, 2017, 10:16 am
    Post #3 - September 1st, 2017, 10:16 am Post #3 - September 1st, 2017, 10:16 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Sula reviewed it. I lol'd at this passage:

"Don't be tempted by the cheese chariot. The wan and limited selection makes it feel like choosing from a gurney in a cheese hospice."

=R=

Ouch. The review is certainly worth a read, my biggest takeaway was that Marqeaux is for the tourists, the locals need not bother.
  • Post #4 - September 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm
    Post #4 - September 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm Post #4 - September 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm
    I found the review rather obnoxious. I think a reviewer should stick to food and service, rather than flinging snide remarks at the owners and customers.
  • Post #5 - September 2nd, 2017, 9:50 pm
    Post #5 - September 2nd, 2017, 9:50 pm Post #5 - September 2nd, 2017, 9:50 pm
    After gathering a quick negative impression from this thread, I was amazed to read the review and discover that Sula found a substantial number of items rising to a level of excellence.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #6 - September 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm
    Post #6 - September 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm Post #6 - September 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm
    chicagojim wrote:takeaway was that Marqeaux is for the tourists, the locals need not bother.

Michael Mina's eponymous San Francisco restaurant is blatantly over the top stickituptouristass bullshit. I was treated to dinner and still left feeling like I was on the receiving end of a prison shower conga line.

MM's Dégustation was such a traumatizing experience I got the shakes for two years every time I saw an open bag of Mars M & M's.
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - September 3rd, 2017, 12:58 pm
    Post #7 - September 3rd, 2017, 12:58 pm Post #7 - September 3rd, 2017, 12:58 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Michael Mina's eponymous San Francisco restaurant is blatantly over the top stickituptouristass bullshit. I was treated to dinner and still left feeling like I was on the receiving end of a prison shower conga line.

MM's Dégustation was such a traumatizing experience I got the shakes for two years every time I saw an open bag of Mars M & M's.

But, how were the portions?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - September 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    Post #8 - September 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm Post #8 - September 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    G Wiv wrote: Michael Mina's eponymous San Francisco restaurant is blatantly over the top stickituptouristass bullshit. I was treated to dinner and still left feeling like I was on the receiving end of a prison shower conga line.

stevez wrote:But, how were the portions?
    But, aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? :twisted:
    Learn what Bing prefers you not know: http://66.242.161.72/pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #9 - September 5th, 2017, 11:43 am
    Post #9 - September 5th, 2017, 11:43 am Post #9 - September 5th, 2017, 11:43 am
    Our dinner at Margeaux, last Saturday,
    was a 10 out of 10.
    Four of us ate well

Uni, shrimp and lobster to start was very fresh tasting
    The Duck wings are terrific, crispy with an orange glaze. Beef tartare was good. The escargots in puff pastry were very satisfying.
    As for mains, my wife loved the Dover Sole. My sister and brother in law shared the Rib Eye and loved the beefy mineral taste
    For me, the Rohan Duck in cheery, cognac sauce was the best preparation I've had in Chicago
    Dessert was the irresistably great Banana Tarte Tatin with caramel sauce and ice cream. This is a must have. And a special Financiers with sorbet. Also great.

I reviewed Sula's review after my experience.
    My impressions were that this was a personal attack,somewhat divorced from the food, on his perceptions of people who frequent these types of establishments. Inappropriate and rank observations. Especially so in this age of class warfare we find ourselves today.
    I'm a Chicagoan, born and raised here. I grew up in Albany Park, Rogers Park and now reside in Lincoln Park. This restaurant is as much for Chicagoans as Red Hot Ranch and Khan's Bar B Que. And price-wise, it is comparable to Bavette's , RPMsteakhouse, Gibson's and Joe's Chicago all of which are great places for various reasons.

But all this is besides the point. Sula chose his review to opine on which restaurants are suitable for Chicagoans and which ones are mostly suitable for" Silver foxes with trophy additions" This is the work of a reviewer wannabe. Not a competent critic.
    Sula was enamored of the Onion Soup. I am left with the impression that the soup was all he could afford. But that's a problem with the Reader and shouldn't be laid at the doorstep of readership.
    In honor of my inaugural review. I've adapted the moniker SilverF, with deference to Sula.
  • Post #10 - September 5th, 2017, 6:15 pm
    Post #10 - September 5th, 2017, 6:15 pm Post #10 - September 5th, 2017, 6:15 pm
    They couldn't come up with a more seasonal dessert than something with bananas?
  • Post #11 - September 5th, 2017, 8:29 pm
    Post #11 - September 5th, 2017, 8:29 pm Post #11 - September 5th, 2017, 8:29 pm
    silverf wrote:This restaurant is as much for Chicagoans as Red Hot Ranch and Khan's Bar B Que.

Sula's review aside, I have a tough time believing that a hotel restaurant helmed by a (mostly) absentee celebrity chef with zero connection to Chicago is " . . . as much for Chicagoans as Red Hot Ranch and Khan's Bar B Que." That's crazy talk! :lol:

In all seriousness, your passion is greatly appreciated. Welcome to LTH. :)

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #12 - September 5th, 2017, 9:56 pm
    Post #12 - September 5th, 2017, 9:56 pm Post #12 - September 5th, 2017, 9:56 pm
    silverf wrote:Our dinner at Margeaux, last Saturday,
    was a 10 out of 10.
    Four of us ate well

Uni, shrimp and lobster to start was very fresh tasting
    The Duck wings are terrific, crispy with an orange glaze. Beef tartare was good. The escargots in puff pastry were very satisfying.
    As for mains, my wife loved the Dover Sole. My sister and brother in law shared the Rib Eye and loved the beefy mineral taste
    For me, the Rohan Duck in cheery, cognac sauce was the best preparation I've had in Chicago
    Dessert was the irresistably great Banana Tarte Tatin with caramel sauce and ice cream. This is a must have. And a special Financiers with sorbet. Also great.

I reviewed Sula's review after my experience.
    My impressions were that this was a personal attack,somewhat divorced from the food, on his perceptions of people who frequent these types of establishments. Inappropriate and rank observations. Especially so in this age of class warfare we find ourselves today.
    I'm a Chicagoan, born and raised here. I grew up in Albany Park, Rogers Park and now reside in Lincoln Park. This restaurant is as much for Chicagoans as Red Hot Ranch and Khan's Bar B Que. And price-wise, it is comparable to Bavette's , RPMsteakhouse, Gibson's and Joe's Chicago all of which are great places for various reasons.

But all this is besides the point. Sula chose his review to opine on which restaurants are suitable for Chicagoans and which ones are mostly suitable for" Silver foxes with trophy additions" This is the work of a reviewer wannabe. Not a competent critic.
    Sula was enamored of the Onion Soup. I am left with the impression that the soup was all he could afford. But that's a problem with the Reader and shouldn't be laid at the doorstep of readership.
    In honor of my inaugural review. I've adapted the moniker SilverF, with deference to Sula.

I think I'd rather eat out of the dumpster out back than dine within 500 feet of people who speak this way. Complaining about class warfare and then insulting Sula and the Reader for not having the kind of dough you have?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more