LTH Home

Gyu-Kaku vs. Gogi with Kids

Gyu-Kaku vs. Gogi with Kids
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Gyu-Kaku vs. Gogi with Kids

Post #1 - September 7th, 2017, 2:11 pm
    Post #1 - September 7th, 2017, 2:11 pm Post #1 - September 7th, 2017, 2:11 pm
    I have a birthday dinner approaching, and I would like my kids (9 and 7) to join me for dinner. Grilling at the table seems like a fun family dinner idea, but can anyone help me choose between Gyu-Kaku and Gogi? Food quality and uniqueness of experience are important to me. The premium all-you-can-eat menu at Gyu-Kaku seems like a lot of fun, and I do not think Gogi has a similar option. But Gogi is a GNR, and I have heard a lot of great things about it. I also plan to enjoy cocktails and other adult beverages throughout the meal.
    -jr
  • Post #2 - September 7th, 2017, 4:04 pm
    Post #2 - September 7th, 2017, 4:04 pm Post #2 - September 7th, 2017, 4:04 pm
    I've been to both - and there is a difference -

Gogi - Korean BBQ
    Gyu-Kaku - Japanese BBQ

While the concept of a BBQ pit is the same - the flavors are different.

Gogi - the staff actually does most of the work with the grills and you get TONS of sides (bapsang). It's not all you can eat, but the price is very reasonable - about $40 a head (there was 6 of us), and we got 3 different meats, a couple of appetizers, a couple of pitchers of beer.

Gyu-Kaku - I don't think we got any side dishes, we picked the meal deal which came with fried rice, a couple of appetizers - but there was a larger variety of meat. The staff was pretty much there to drop off the meat - we did most of the grilling. We only got 1 pitcher of beer, and I believe the bill came out to $80 a head (6 ppl).
    From my understanding with the Gyu-Kaku and the all you can eat meal - there's a time limit of 90 minutes ... you may want to check on this.

You may want to take in consideration of the ages of the kids, and if they're going to need to babysit little curious hands or not.
  • Post #3 - September 7th, 2017, 6:35 pm
    Post #3 - September 7th, 2017, 6:35 pm Post #3 - September 7th, 2017, 6:35 pm
    The family that owned Gogi sold it last November. While some of the staff is still there, there is no other connection between the former owner and the new one. Just wanted to throw that out there. I haven't been to Gogi since before the change so I can't comment on anything about the food there now.

I have been to San Soo Gab San on Western more recently and it's still great and, I think, pretty kid-friendly, assuming they like that kind of food.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - September 7th, 2017, 7:02 pm
    Post #4 - September 7th, 2017, 7:02 pm Post #4 - September 7th, 2017, 7:02 pm
    I've only been to Gogi of the two, and it was a full two years ago (so w/ different ownership; I was unaware of the change, Yeowoosai change too?).

Unless your 7 and 9 year olds are really fearless and adventurous, it seems like Gyu-Kaku is something they would be more accepting of than the Gogi spread that is heavy on fermentation in vegetables and spicier flavors than Japanese BBQ generally. Obviously authentic Japanese food incorporates ingredients that are unfamiliar to American menus and palates, but Gyu-Kaku doesn't seem to be in the vein of an izakaya at all.

I would say Gogi has a higher ceiling, certainly for you and any other adults w/ reasonably adventurous tastes, but there is greater risk that the kids are completely not into the meal whatsoever. Maybe bringing the kids will be enough to crack a smile out of Korean service!
  • Post #5 - September 8th, 2017, 12:23 am
    Post #5 - September 8th, 2017, 12:23 am Post #5 - September 8th, 2017, 12:23 am
    Happy Birthday! Gyu Kaku has a s'mores dessert and your kids can toast their own marshmallows, if that might interest anyone
  • Post #6 - September 8th, 2017, 1:53 am
    Post #6 - September 8th, 2017, 1:53 am Post #6 - September 8th, 2017, 1:53 am
    Gyu-Kaku is very kid friendly, I take my kids a few times a year. The only issue I have is that the service at the Ohio street location can vary from just OK to one time when it was insultingly bad - like waiting 45 minutes after ordering for raw items to show up at the table and some never showing up at all this must be a frickin' joke bad.
    The Randolph location may be better - don't know.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more