LTH Home

The Family House- Burmese and Malaysian food

The Family House- Burmese and Malaysian food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Post #31 - January 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm Post #31 - January 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Shortly after trying The Family House, and hearing fellow LTH'ers consistently enjoy it as much as I do, I expected a review from Mike Sula in the Reader because of his attraction to small scale authenticity.

Review posted last night: https://m.chicagoreader.com/chicago/the-family-house-myanmar-burmese-indonesian-malaysian-cuisine/Content?oid=38574893
    He credits LTH for bringing The Family House its well deserved positive buzz.
  • Post #32 - January 20th, 2018, 6:05 pm
    Post #32 - January 20th, 2018, 6:05 pm Post #32 - January 20th, 2018, 6:05 pm
    It was extremely busy last Sunday, after the Sula write-up, and staff clearly struggled to keep up with the increased demand. All tables were filled. Unfortunately, several of our dishes, and even our cups of tea, were delivered to other tables, seated after us, that had ordererd the same items. The result was a wait stretching an hour before we received a single cup of tea or a salad.

I am sympathetic to the problems. Staff was clearly worked beyond the breaking point; at one point, a gentleman busing/cleaning spilled a bottle of cleaning solution and mopped it hastily, resulting in several near-falling incidents as staff went back and forth.

This place is happily growing, but there may be some pain along the way.

A single disappointing note concerns a dish that had run out, the Malay oxtail soup. Innocuous enough, but the same worker who had told us it was out soon told another table that they had everything on the menu, when a gentleman asked what was available on the menu. It seemed as though it were a case of giving a fast answer rather than going into details that took more effort and time than judged worthwhile.

It will be interesting to see how The Family House manages its rising popularity.
  • Post #33 - January 20th, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Post #33 - January 20th, 2018, 6:40 pm Post #33 - January 20th, 2018, 6:40 pm
    I’ve also been there post-Sula and they were indeed slammed, which definitely slows everything down, as I get the feeling that there are not too many people cooking. On the plus side, as posted above, they have a new menu, everything on which seems to actually be offered in the restaurant (at least, most of the time).

Finally tried the ohn no khao swe. Never had the Burmese version of this, so it’s entirely possible that this was authentic, properly made, etc. But gotta say, I much prefer the northern Thai rendition — this was much thinner, with almost no coconut flavor, fewer mix-ins, and clearly reheated chicken. Still not bad, but can’t touch the mohinga.

Also, the ginger salad is good but not very gingery. Sticking to tea leaf.

Still dirt cheap!
  • Post #34 - January 24th, 2018, 3:55 pm
    Post #34 - January 24th, 2018, 3:55 pm Post #34 - January 24th, 2018, 3:55 pm
    For a Mon-Thurs night group dinner, what is max I should have? (from what I've read I'm assuming have a pre-planned meal will help)
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #35 - January 24th, 2018, 4:23 pm
    Post #35 - January 24th, 2018, 4:23 pm Post #35 - January 24th, 2018, 4:23 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:For a Mon-Thurs night group dinner, what is max I should have? (from what I've read I'm assuming have a pre-planned meal will help)

The place isn't very big, and the kitchen is easily overwhelmed. I'd say no more than 6. Definitely give them a heads up!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #36 - February 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm
    Post #36 - February 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm Post #36 - February 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Tea Leaf deep, murky, delicious and quite different than the more composed version found at Burma Superstar in SF.
    Agreed, though it has been awhile, I recall enjoying Burma Superstar’s version more.
    peteouc wrote:Breakfast: Mohinga (traditional Burmese breakfast soup) and Tea
    The Mohinga was bar-none the freshest I have ever had. Made me realize that most mohinga in Burma and Thailand use canned mackerel- which adds an unneeded fishiness to the dish.
    I have the feeling I would have liked canned mackerel version as the mohinga last night was lacking the deep, murky flavors others have described. In looking at the photos that others have taken, it seems the portion I got didn’t have near the herbs that are pictured. The chicken in the Oh No Khao Swe was likely microwaved as it was extremely tough/chewy. Ginger salad was quite good.
    Rene G wrote:Nasi lemak was absolutely great. A full plate is $4, which might make that the best way to spend $4 in Chicago (an extra $1.50 adds a chicken leg). I practically got lost in that little dollop of sauce and the coconut rice was good. Cucumber, peanuts, and tiny dried fish rounded out a very satisfying little plate.
    Amen! The standout last night for me was the Nasi Lemak w/chicken leg. Loved every bite and the sambal (not enough of it as Jefe mentions) was terrific.
    I'm going again at month’s end and it will be interesting if round two has the same results.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #37 - February 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm
    Post #37 - February 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm Post #37 - February 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    Amen! The standout last night for me was the Nasi Lemak w/chicken leg. Loved every bite and the sambal (not enough of it as Jefe mentions) was terrific.
    I'm going again at month’s end and it will be interesting if round two has the same results.

Both times I've been there (so far), I've asked for at least one refill on the sambal. :-)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more