LTH Home

John's Pizza in Calumet City

John's Pizza in Calumet City
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 27th, 2008, 12:09 pm
    Post #31 - March 27th, 2008, 12:09 pm Post #31 - March 27th, 2008, 12:09 pm
    I expect a little more when its a sit down place. The reason I did not order the pizza pie is their munster location is 2 blocks from my house. If I go to whiting I am looking for something beside pie. I recently met one of the owners at a party and he said I was not the only one who commented on no salad ,garlicbread or pasta. They were going to 'do something' about it.
  • Post #32 - April 20th, 2010, 6:53 pm
    Post #32 - April 20th, 2010, 6:53 pm Post #32 - April 20th, 2010, 6:53 pm
    Thanks to Cathy2's bump of this thread in another thread today, I was reminded to post on a recent trip to John's in Whiting. Someone up thread was wondering if they could keep up the same level after opening and I'm happy to report that we thoroughly enjoyed our pizza. Having never been to John's of any persuasion, I can't compare but SigOth and I thought the pizza was really delicious.

Quite honestly, neither of us was planning to even eat because we'd been guilted into eating some VERY bland chicken flautas that his mom cooked without asking us if we were eating during an earlier stop at her house. So with plans of begging out early, we proceeded to John's to meet a couple of his professors (their college, St. Joseph's of Calumet, is nearby) where we shared a large cheese and sausage pie. Obviously, the pizza was good because we definitely found an appetite and polished off plenty.

I was impressed with the nice firm and flaky crust, tangy and balanced sauce, savory sausage, and easy but flavorful cheese (which I especially like, since I'm not a fan of gunky gobby cheese topping, being more of a sauce and crust gal). Some of the guys ordered other things but I didn't try them, although the spaghetti looked tasty. I thought the joint was cute and quaint (some great old pics of the neighborhood in the back by the bathrooms). For me, it was all about the pizza planks and I look forward to going back. Not sure if it's a destination from the city but if you're anywhere near the area, it's certainly a good and satisfying option.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #33 - August 10th, 2012, 1:53 pm
    Post #33 - August 10th, 2012, 1:53 pm Post #33 - August 10th, 2012, 1:53 pm
    Had a very good Sausage, Green Pepper and Mushroom pizza
    a little while ago (from the Whiting location). Wish the sausage
    was more fennelly, so next time might sub bacon;
    but overall a fantastic pizza.
  • Post #34 - November 26th, 2012, 6:37 pm
    Post #34 - November 26th, 2012, 6:37 pm Post #34 - November 26th, 2012, 6:37 pm
    In Nov 2007, Rene G wrote:If you liked the original John's Pizza in Calumet City, I think you'll be happy with the new John's that opened only a few days ago in Whiting.

In Aug 2012, SCUBAchef wrote:Had a very good Sausage, Green Pepper and Mushroom pizza a little while ago (from the Whiting location).

It looks like the John's in Whiting has closed. It was dark on a recent Saturday evening, a realtors sign was in the window, and the phone has been disconnected.

As far as I know, nothing has changed at the other, mostly only loosely associated, John's Pizzerias in Northwest Indiana. The other "Original John's" on Ridge Road in Munster is definitely open. That one is take-out and delivery only.

The Original John's Restaurant & Pizzeria (closed)
    2356 Schrage Av
    Whiting IN
    219-659-1046

The Original John's Pizzeria
    247 Ridge Rd
    Munster IN
    219-836-8536
    http://www.theoriginaljohns.com/
  • Post #35 - November 26th, 2012, 7:12 pm
    Post #35 - November 26th, 2012, 7:12 pm Post #35 - November 26th, 2012, 7:12 pm
    Well that sucks!! Soooooo few decent places in that area and, while I'm not in that neighborhood that much any more now that my SO finished his program at Calumet College, I was hoping to get back there one of these days.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #36 - November 26th, 2012, 11:33 pm
    Post #36 - November 26th, 2012, 11:33 pm Post #36 - November 26th, 2012, 11:33 pm
    Hi,

The John's on Ridge Road in Munster franchised the John's in Whiting that recently closed. Unfortunately there was bad blood between them, which seems to be a usual business practice between the The John's Pizza locations.

When it first opened, it was an experience very much like The John's Pizza in Calumet City, the mother ship that closed some years ago.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #37 - December 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm
    Post #37 - December 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm Post #37 - December 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm
    Rene G wrote: It looks like the John's in Whiting has closed. It was dark on a recent Saturday evening, a realtors sign was in the window, and the phone has been disconnected.

I rode thru Whiting this past weekend and drove by John's and saw the neon lights on in their windows. So I did a quick ride around the block and can confirm they were open as I saw customers entering and noticed a few inside. Though the for sale sign is still up in the window. I need to get back there sometime soon.

John's in Whiting as of 12/1/12
  • Post #38 - December 3rd, 2012, 6:14 pm
    Post #38 - December 3rd, 2012, 6:14 pm Post #38 - December 3rd, 2012, 6:14 pm
    Da Beef wrote:I rode thru Whiting this past weekend and drove by John's and saw the neon lights on in their windows. So I did a quick ride around the block and can confirm they were open as I saw customers entering and noticed a few inside. Though the for sale sign is still up in the window. I need to get back there sometime soon.

That's odd. I wonder what was going on inside. I don't casually mention that places have closed and in this case I had four pieces of evidence: business was dark at prime time; phone had been disconnected; realtor's sign in window; links to Whiting location on Original John's website were dead (links to the still-open Munster location work). Just a few minutes ago I called the Whiting number (219-659-1046) and it's still disconnected. I then called the Munster location and they told me the Whiting location had closed. Let us know if you find out anything more.
  • Post #39 - December 3rd, 2012, 6:37 pm
    Post #39 - December 3rd, 2012, 6:37 pm Post #39 - December 3rd, 2012, 6:37 pm
    Rene G wrote: That's odd. I wonder what was going on inside.

Yeah I suppose I should of double checked with calling the number but there was definitely something going on inside. Cars parked in the back and along the side of the road not pictured as well as lights on and people entering. Maybe it was one last hoo-rah. Who knows. I'll be keeping an eye out.
  • Post #40 - May 10th, 2014, 10:14 pm
    Post #40 - May 10th, 2014, 10:14 pm Post #40 - May 10th, 2014, 10:14 pm
    Da Beef wrote:
    Rene G wrote:It looks like the John's in Whiting has closed. It was dark on a recent Saturday evening, a realtors sign was in the window, and the phone has been disconnected.

I rode thru Whiting this past weekend and drove by John's and saw the neon lights on in their windows. So I did a quick ride around the block and can confirm they were open as I saw customers entering and noticed a few inside. Though the for sale sign is still up in the window. I need to get back there sometime soon.

I'm even more convinced now that John's in Whiting is closed.

John's Pizza, Schrage & Indianapolis, Whiting, May 2014

The Original John's Restaurant & Pizzeria (closed)
    2356 Schrage Av
    Whiting IN

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more