LTH Home

Ovo Frito

Ovo Frito
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ovo Frito

Post #1 - January 18th, 2018, 12:00 am
    Post #1 - January 18th, 2018, 12:00 am Post #1 - January 18th, 2018, 12:00 am
    Well off any path that's even been lightly beaten, the Evanston Lunch Group™ ventured about a block and a half north of Emerson on Maple in Evanston this afternoon, to Ovo Frito Café. As a breakfast/lunch/brunch establishment, Ovo Frito features many egg dishes, as it reminds you, with egg-themed lighting pendants, and many slightly-strange egg-themed murals (probably could have done without the one of an egg rushing to rest rooms).

The room is bright, clean and inviting, and the food was more complex and better presented than I expected.

Probably the best dish was Derek's Favorite Eggs.
    DerekEggsOvo.jpg Derek's Favorites Eggs
    Ovo Frito Menu wrote: Two eggs over chorizo, potato hash, jalapenos, red pepper, and topped with chihuahua cheese, chipotle ketchup, sour cream, and guacamole. Served with desiree potato hash and your choice of toast.

Also tasty was the Matamoros Omelete.
    MatamorosOmeletOvo.jpg Matamoros Omelet
    Ovo Frito Menu wrote: Goat cheese, spinach, and marinated portobellos. Served with desiree potato hash and your choice of toast.

Among lunch sandwiches, we tried the Avalon Sunset, which was a bit hard to split up for the group, and definitely the best non-egg dish we had.
    AvalonOvo.jpg Avalon Sunset
    Ovo Frito Menu wrote: Grilled chicken breast, bacon, tomato, swiss cheese, avocado, sriracha, spicy mayo, and lettuce served on a caramelized onions roll.

Finally, although not billed as dessert, Viva la France French Toast certainly tasted as if it was.
    VuvaOvo.jpg Viva la France French Toast
    Ovo Frito Menu wrote: Strawberry banana French toast layered with vanilla pastry cream, strawberry coulis, roasted pecans, rum caramel sauce, powered sugar, and whipped cream.

Prices were reasonable, with most generous plates at $11 (Derek's Favorite was $1 more ... apparently Derek has some clout here), although some thought the 2 pieces of applewood smoked bacon were a bit pricey at $4.

Not easy to find, but worth checking out early or mid-day if you're in the area.

Ovo Frito Café
    [website]
    1936 Maple Ave
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 859-6966
  • Post #2 - January 18th, 2018, 2:17 pm
    Post #2 - January 18th, 2018, 2:17 pm Post #2 - January 18th, 2018, 2:17 pm
    I enjoyed all the dishes we ordered, pictured above, but Derek’s Favorite Eggs was exceptionally flavorful and a nice combination of textures. Looking forward to my next visit and trying some of their other offerings.
    Ditto on the nice setting. Especially appreciated the very pleasant staff and good service.
  • Post #3 - January 19th, 2018, 7:36 pm
    Post #3 - January 19th, 2018, 7:36 pm Post #3 - January 19th, 2018, 7:36 pm
    Glad you went, I love this place:
    Clean, friendly, easy parking, attentive service, and really really good food.
  • Post #4 - February 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm
    Post #4 - February 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm Post #4 - February 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm
    Visited over the weekend, good place but they're a victim of their own success. Cramped, noisy and they force you into a narrow hallway to wait for a table. But still nice to have good breakfast option in the area.

Alexander's and the newly-expanded Bryn Mawr Breakfast Club are closer for me, but if I'm in the area I'll visit again.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more