LTH Home

Tempesta Market: Fancy Sammiches on Grand

Tempesta Market: Fancy Sammiches on Grand
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Tempesta Market: Fancy Sammiches on Grand

Post #1 - January 22nd, 2018, 11:00 am
    Post #1 - January 22nd, 2018, 11:00 am Post #1 - January 22nd, 2018, 11:00 am
    Veterans of Publican Quality Meats have opened a sandwich shop near Grand and Noble featuring their artisanal charcuterie. The place has counter service plus a few tables for dining in.
    I asked if they could make half-sandwiches so I could try two or three, but they said no. So I tried sandwich #1 on their menu, The Dante:

Hot sopressata, mortadella, finocchiona, hot coppa, porchetta, provolone, nduja aioli and hot giardiniera, plus lettuce and tomato. (The bread is a toasted Turano baguette, although most of the other sammies use bread from Publican Quality Bread.)

A tasty sandwich, but I couldn't get past the $12.50 price point for about 5 inches of sandwich. Just down the street I can get a little more sandwich for less money: Graziano, Vinnie, Bari, etc.
    I guess their argument would be that the meats are better quality, but when five or so meats are in the same sandwich, I think quality gets a bit blurred.
    There are some other interesting menu items, such as nduja arancini, plus a variety of artisanal sodas for $2.99 and a few flavors of gelato. There are also charcuterie boards.

Tempesta Market
    1372 W. Grand
    (312) 929-2551
    http://tempestamarket.com/
    Last edited by TomInSkokie on January 23rd, 2018, 5:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
  • Post #2 - January 22nd, 2018, 11:48 am
    Post #2 - January 22nd, 2018, 11:48 am Post #2 - January 22nd, 2018, 11:48 am
    TomInSkokie wrote:A tasty sandwich, but I couldn't get past the $12.50 price point for about 6 inches of sandwich. Just down the street I can get a little more sandwich for less money: Graziano, Vinnie, Bari, etc.
    I guess their argument would be that the meats are better quality, but when five or so meats are in the same sandwich, I think quality gets a bit blurred.
    http://tempestamarket.com/

I hear you on this, though I think the price is okay considering the product, it was also plenty enough food for me. A Mr. G at Grazi's runs $10.95 (more bread, less meat). But unlike the ideally-proportioned Mr. G, I agree the flavors on the Dante muddle together. Satisfying, but not quite transcending the Chi-talian sub form.

The St. Gennaro, on the other hand, will keep me running back! Definitely not your average neighborhood red-sauced sassage sammich– a coil of juicy tube meat nestled on a billow of aioli and sweet grilled onions, all stacked on a pillowy brioche bun. Kind of an incomparable sammy.

I'm super stoked to have this place a few blocks from my work place. When picnic season rolls around, I'll be set with all my charcuterie needs. That nduja, well I hardly need to convince anyone of its merits. If you haven't heard, an embarrassingly massive orb of the stuff greets you on the counter for a little amuse bouche.

Very cool place, nice folks too!
  • Post #3 - January 22nd, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Post #3 - January 22nd, 2018, 2:44 pm Post #3 - January 22nd, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Count me in as a fan of the Southside Johnny - a porchetta dip with brun-uusto cheese, broccolini, and chimichurri.

They are making some very very very high quality sandwiches here.
  • Post #4 - January 22nd, 2018, 7:04 pm
    Post #4 - January 22nd, 2018, 7:04 pm Post #4 - January 22nd, 2018, 7:04 pm
    Surprised it took so long for someone to post about this after the Gebert write-up.

I have been a fan of PQM since it opened and, while I'm seldom in that neck of the woods anymore, I still make it a point to stop. Tempesta is an entirely Italian-focused version of PQM, in a very good way. No, it isn't cheap, but it's on par with PQM in many ways, and the house charcuterie is truly excellent.

We went two days before a trip to the Philippines, about which I will eventually post. It was my spouse's birthday the following day and she loves a good meat-and-cheese plate. Since we were both packing and having family over last-minute, a nice spread to graze on while chatting and sitting on luggage seemed appropriate. We did not order the platters as such, as we wouldn't be consuming them right away. Instead, they wrapped six meats and two cheeses (in roughly 1/4 portions each, as I recall) and, after throwing in some breads, we were out the door for fifty or sixty bucks, as I recall, and this was plenty to feed two of us for dinner and an additional five for heavy snacking. They were very friendly and helpful in figuring out what and how much to get. Truthfully, we had enough leftover for a couple good sandwiches.

My arrangement, so not the prettiest; jams, mustard, and some of the crackers not included. You can probably guess at most of the meats. (Having trouble getting Google Photos to display here, so just posting links for now)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/dctVEDTTBd2WhLmy2

We also had a sandwich, the Dante, which is perfectly captured above. I thought it quite good, and plenty of food, though the bread can easily destroy the roof of your mouth. I was particularly big on the nduja aioli, which was probably overwhelming, but damn, I'd put that on everything.

Here's part of the meat case, just for fun. Most things are priced in 1/4 pound increments for easier mental calculation, weight and money.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5gnDZhKKfs1DHaV12

In general, I loved the spread and we will be going back--compared to some of the imports (even at a place like Mariano's), the prices were pretty fair for meats that were obviously high-quality. I seldom enjoy mortadella, for example, but this one actually had flavor. Everyone kept eating, beyond the point of satiety. For a last-minute party before the real deal Filipino Christmas, it was hard to ask for more.
  • Post #5 - January 23rd, 2018, 12:33 pm
    Post #5 - January 23rd, 2018, 12:33 pm Post #5 - January 23rd, 2018, 12:33 pm
    Beware of the platters! We bought 3 meats ($15) and 2 cheeses ($12) platters and to call them meager is an incredible compliment.
  • Post #6 - January 25th, 2018, 1:15 am
    Post #6 - January 25th, 2018, 1:15 am Post #6 - January 25th, 2018, 1:15 am
    Jefe wrote:The St. Genaro, on the other hand, will keep me running back!

Yes, absolutely, though I can't wait to work my way through the menu.
    TempestaMarketLTH1.jpg St. Gennaro, Tempesta Market

TempestaMarketLTH2.jpg Gratis samples of Nduja

Tempesta Market, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - February 17th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Post #7 - February 17th, 2018, 2:35 pm Post #7 - February 17th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Tempesta was hit and miss for me. Enjoyed the ample Dante, which was a tasty, high-quality meat bomb. Though, the inclusion of lettuce and tomato left me scratching my head. There's no reason to include those ingredients on sandwich like this, especially not tomatoes this time of year.

The Southside Johnny was a shamefully skimpy affair. There was a mere condiment-level amount of Porchetta. I had to open up the sandwich and search for it to even find any. And what was there was hard and dry; more like porchetta jerky. The sandwich was mainly large amounts of chopped up broccolini and overly sweet, pickled fennel on some nicely grilled bread. And, if there was any Brun-uusto on it, I never found it. For me, it was a major fail.

Gary's picture of the St. Gennaro looks good. If I go back, maybe I'll try it.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - February 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    Post #8 - February 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm Post #8 - February 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    Can confirm the St. Gennaro has been delicious and ample on both visits. The chicken and dumplings soup was also quite good. So far I've been pretty impressed.
  • Post #9 - May 3rd, 2018, 4:43 am
    Post #9 - May 3rd, 2018, 4:43 am Post #9 - May 3rd, 2018, 4:43 am
    Terrific lunch Wednesday at Tempesta with the ever engaging Major Nancy Powers. Much as I enjoyed the food company was even better! I've only been a few times and it seems to me Tempesta gets better, smoother, more delicious with each visit.

TempestaLTH1.jpg Mortadella, salsiccia secca piccante, hot coppa, pickled cauliflower, wagyu pastrami.

TempestaLTH8.jpg The Dante

TempestaLTH5.jpg Wagyu Pastrami

TempestaLTH3.jpg Gratis nduja

TempestaLTH7.jpg Southside Johnny

Tempesta Market, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - May 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm
    Post #10 - May 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm Post #10 - May 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm
    I like what's going on here, particularly the boards and salads. The best sandwich I've had so far is the truffuletta - why didn't someone think of this before - which is like an Avec focaccia with a case of the meat sweats. The thing is packed with mortadella and a composite of relishes with pesto and eggplant and giardiniera notes and a downright dirty size. However, for $15 with tax and beyond with tip I could probably provision a few of these with a D'amato's / Bari double-dip down the street.

I took away a much more reasonable package of frozen maple breakfast sausage ($3.99) and fettuccine fatte in casa ($5). Both were exceptional. They have espresso drinks (but the staff has seemed short on time to prepare on multiple visits, and is notably also still learning their own register system) and good gelato.
  • Post #11 - May 7th, 2018, 7:51 pm
    Post #11 - May 7th, 2018, 7:51 pm Post #11 - May 7th, 2018, 7:51 pm
    Tempesta was on Channel Nine's Chicago's Best this weekend. Should give them a nice boost.
  • Post #12 - May 19th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #12 - May 19th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #12 - May 19th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    I'm glad I gave this place another try. With the meatless-for-me Southside Johnny now dead to me, there were still other sandwiches to try. We were really pleased with The B. Franklin (Roasted Turkey, Hooks 2-Year Cheddar, Pickled Fresno, Avocado, Pea Shoots, Sofrito Aioli on Sourdough), The St. Gennaro (Hot Italian Sausage, Pickled Pepper Mojo, Roasted Onions, Lolla Rossa and Aioli on a Brioche Bun) and the Potato'Nator (Smoking Goose Bacon , Hash Brown, Fried Egg, American Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato and Pickled Red Onion on a Brioche Bun). Between these and The Dante I had last time, (Hot Soppressata, Mortadella, Finnochinoa, Hot Coppa, Porchetta, Provolone, Giardiniera, ‘Nduja Aioli, Lettuce, and Tomato on a Baguette) Tempesta's sandwich line-up is notably strong. It's not likely to ever make me forget that Bari is just 2 blocks away but the creative, distinctive builds and high quality of ingredients here are truly a draw and make it a serious sandwich destination.

=R=
  • Post #13 - May 20th, 2018, 10:06 am
    Post #13 - May 20th, 2018, 10:06 am Post #13 - May 20th, 2018, 10:06 am
    I've had the Dante a couple times and it really scratches the itch every once in awhile.

Yesterday I bought a baguette to take home for dinner from Aya Bakery. Wow...
  • Post #14 - June 15th, 2018, 11:09 am
    Post #14 - June 15th, 2018, 11:09 am Post #14 - June 15th, 2018, 11:09 am

Fancy hot dog on Grand. Interesting DTTG style, but when each veg and condiment is local and peak, and served on a buttered grilled lobster roll bun, it's more than the sum of its parts. The chicken and dumpling and Calabrian chili soup is tremendous with the little dollop of sour cream stirred in and fresh herbs.
  • Post #15 - June 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Post #15 - June 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm Post #15 - June 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Really nice stuff over at Tempesta (again). Eat-in lunch earlier today . . .

The Dante
    Spectacular, as always.

D.D. Brindisi's Grand Pastrami Sandwich (wagyu pastrami, swiss, bread & butter pickles)
    Loved the wagyu pastrami and the overall crispy-gooeyness of the sandwich. I would have liked a bit more pastrami and a pickle component that was a wee bit less sweet, but still a really fine sandwich.

Sympathy for the Meatballs (Berkshire Pork Meatballs, Tomato Basil, Bread)
    Nice flavor here but a strange, soft texture that didn't wow me. Had to try them, though.

Service was friendly, as were the other customers with whom we interacted. This place is a gem.

=R=
  • Post #16 - June 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Post #16 - June 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm Post #16 - June 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Image
    D.D. Brindisi's Grand Pastrami Sandwich (wagyu pastrami, swiss, bread & butter pickles)
    Loved the wagyu pastrami and the overall crispy-gooeyness of the sandwich. I would have liked a bit more pastrami and a pickle component that was a wee bit less sweet, but still a really fine sandwich.

That's the most disgustingly beautiful picture of a sandwich I think I've ever seen, Ronnie. Kudos.
  • Post #17 - December 26th, 2018, 12:38 pm
    Post #17 - December 26th, 2018, 12:38 pm Post #17 - December 26th, 2018, 12:38 pm
    I purchased a porchetta roast from Tempesta which I roasted off for Christmas Eve dinner. What a stunning roast! pronounced Italian herbs/fennel, a pork roast on steroids, my entire family was in a food coma.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #18 - January 8th, 2020, 11:42 am
    Post #18 - January 8th, 2020, 11:42 am Post #18 - January 8th, 2020, 11:42 am
    Had some out of town friends over and we went down to Grand looking for an afternoon hangout. Staff at Tempesta couldn’t be friendlier and they know their business. I really like Tempesta the place, as it’s an overall great chill space for shooting the shit with buddies and having a laid back good time - I just wish I could say the same about the sandwich but it wasn’t fully to my liking.

The Dante is a big meaty sandwich which on the surface seems like it’s right up my alley - but it’s just less than the sum of its parts. For starters there is too much meat on it, which believe me is something I never complain about, and also the meat is too high quality - which sounds stupid, but hear me out. When there is so much high quality charcuterie on a sandwich it forms a dense chewy salty blob right in the middle which unbalances the sandwich. A salty cured product that’s great on a cheese tray doesn’t necessarily work in a sandwich especially when there is so much of it. This leads into the next drawback which is cost. I get that using lots of high quality ingredients are just gonna cost more, but when my favorite sub joint Vinnie's Sub Shop just down the street makes a better balanced Italian I like more for $7, that makes it hard to pay $17 for the Dante after tax and tip.

Overall I like Tempesta but the Dante is not for me. I will say in its favor that the bread is EXCELLENT and comes from Aya bakery just down the street, a place I will be checking out soon.
  • Post #19 - January 8th, 2020, 12:05 pm
    Post #19 - January 8th, 2020, 12:05 pm Post #19 - January 8th, 2020, 12:05 pm
    eating while walking wrote:For starters there is too much meat on it, which believe me is something I never complain about, and also the meat is too high quality - which sounds stupid, but hear me out.

I'd need convincing on the too high quality but far as too much meat I'm with you. I often order a single burger where others opt for double or even triple. If I order a double dog I eat one of the dogs out of hand first then the dog. Balance is key.

Solution at Tempesta, which I also adore, get the sandwich, an extra bun, baguette, baton whatever and make two sandwiches. You cost goes down to a reasonable $6.88 pre tax/tip per sandwich and its more to your liking.

I also have a vague memory of JeffB dissing on a Cuban sandwich I posted long ago as having too much meat. Balance is key.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - January 8th, 2020, 12:11 pm
    Post #20 - January 8th, 2020, 12:11 pm Post #20 - January 8th, 2020, 12:11 pm
    I've never found the Dante to be out of balance. Yes, it's a lot of meat but it's on a delicious, heavy duty, hearthy roll and I believe its proportions are spot on. This is one of my favorite sandwiches in town. I do agree that sometimes a sandwich (or any dish, for that matter) can contain too much of one thing or another but imo, the Dante is not an example of this.

=R=
  • Post #21 - January 8th, 2020, 2:24 pm
    Post #21 - January 8th, 2020, 2:24 pm Post #21 - January 8th, 2020, 2:24 pm
    I'm excited to learn that the line next time may be one, or two people shorter. Excellent news!

In all seriousness, I've never found this to be the case. The Dante is my second favorite sandwich at Tempesta, closely following their epic Muffuletta. In either case, the quality of the ingredients, in my view, is what makes this place a must stop if one desires sandwich perfection. I get the price thing, heck I do hesitate every time I pull out my credit card - as I did today for a $12.25 DD Brindisi Pastrami. Then, of course, I sank my teeth into that delicious creation, and all was forgotten.
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #22 - January 8th, 2020, 3:38 pm
    Post #22 - January 8th, 2020, 3:38 pm Post #22 - January 8th, 2020, 3:38 pm
    Pursuit wrote:I'm excited to learn that the line next time may be one, or two people shorter. Excellent news!

Hold on Cowboy (Chowboy)
    If I somehow gave the impression I don't like/love/adore Tempesta well then I need rectify that pronto.

I Heart Tempesta Market!

Tempesta Market, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #23 - January 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm
    Post #23 - January 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm Post #23 - January 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Solution at Tempesta, which I also adore, get the sandwich, an extra bun, baguette, baton whatever and make two sandwiches. You cost goes down to a reasonable $6.88 pre tax/tip per sandwich and its more to your liking.
    I also have a vague memory of JeffB dissing on a Cuban sandwich I posted long ago as having too much meat. Balance is key.

As I got to the end of the Dante where the meat slimmed down it was a lot better. It hit the meat strata sweet spot at about 40% thickness so the extra bread solution sounds like a good one.
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I've never found the Dante to be out of balance. Yes, it's a lot of meat but it's on a delicious, heavy duty, hearthy roll and I believe its proportions are spot on. This is one of my favorite sandwiches in town. I do agree that sometimes a sandwich (or any dish, for that matter) can contain too much of one thing or another but imo, the Dante is not an example of this.=R=

Sure, to each his own. When the meats are this intensely cured and salty I like just a little bit maybe 2-3 layers in there. Kind of simpler like a jambon buerre where a little ham and butter is enough to flavor the whole loaf. There's plenty more stuff to check out at Tempesta so I'll be back for sure.
  • Post #24 - January 8th, 2020, 4:35 pm
    Post #24 - January 8th, 2020, 4:35 pm Post #24 - January 8th, 2020, 4:35 pm
    eating while walking wrote:Sure, to each his own. When the meats are this intensely cured and salty I like just a little bit maybe 2-3 layers in there. Kind of simpler like a jambon buerre where a little ham and butter is enough to flavor the whole loaf. There's plenty more stuff to check out at Tempesta so I'll be back for sure.

Yep, understood. I think they'd be lost on a roll this large/dense but I see your point. And I agree that when the components are fresh and high in quality, ham and butter on baguette can be a special experience.

As for other offerings at Tempesta, give the B. Franklin a try. Yes, I know it's "just" a turkey sandwich but I think it's the best one I've ever paid for.

=R=
  • Post #25 - January 8th, 2020, 5:03 pm
    Post #25 - January 8th, 2020, 5:03 pm Post #25 - January 8th, 2020, 5:03 pm
    I respect your opinion but I LOVE the Dante just the way it is. Oddly enough I'm someone that usually shies away from the "too much" styles of sandwiches, burgers, etc. yet I don't find this one in any way excessive - everything just works for me.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #26 - January 9th, 2020, 8:29 am
    Post #26 - January 9th, 2020, 8:29 am Post #26 - January 9th, 2020, 8:29 am
    Based on pictures, I would camp out to get the first Dante of the day. I go to Geneva often for meetings that are mostly staged in the French Alps. Every little town along the way has numerous Bakeries (Boulangerie) scattered throughout the town. Means to me that they like fresh bread (plus) daily. The resort hotels we stay at have fresh (made mere hours ago) baguettes and other breads each morning. It is the star. I just add a few thin layers of salami and prosciutto and I am happy. Nothing else needed.
  • Post #27 - January 9th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    Post #27 - January 9th, 2020, 3:34 pm Post #27 - January 9th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    Puckjam wrote:I go to Geneva often for meetings that are mostly staged in the French Alps.

Are you hiring??
  • Post #28 - January 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Post #28 - January 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm Post #28 - January 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    All this tempesta talk has guaranteed that I'll be grabbing a Dante from their wells st Market location tomorrow!
  • Post #29 - February 10th, 2020, 6:30 pm
    Post #29 - February 10th, 2020, 6:30 pm Post #29 - February 10th, 2020, 6:30 pm
    And I agree that when the components are fresh and high in quality, ham and butter on baguette can be a special experience.

As for other offerings at Tempesta, give the B. Franklin a try. Yes, I know it's "just" a turkey sandwich but I think it's the best one I've ever paid for.

=R=
    i'm a big fan- my favorite sandwich is the southside johnny and i usually go home with a pint of their gelato. here's a story i should have shared before now: a few months after stevez died, i went with a friend to tempesta. while waiting in line to order, i told her the story that boudreaulicious shared about stevez's love of the B. Franklin sandwich; how even when he was dying he asked her to pick one up for him. apparently the woman behind the counter heard me and relayed the story to antonio, the young owner. he popped up outside while we were having our food and asked me to tell him about steve. he seemed sincerely moved to hear about steve and called over dave, the owner of coalfire pizza, who was hanging out with him. the 4 of us had a good chat and he refused to let me pay for my usual pint of nocciola gelato when i left. i know i didn't deserve any special consideration- but i appreciated how happy steve's love of the sandwich made antonio...the story touched me the same way, and i was glad i shared it with the good folks at tempesta.
  • Post #30 - February 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
    Post #30 - February 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm Post #30 - February 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
    justjoan wrote:
    And I agree that when the components are fresh and high in quality, ham and butter on baguette can be a special experience.

=R=
    i'm a big fan- my favorite sandwich is the southside johnny and i usually go home with a pint of their gelato. here's a story i should have shared before now: a few months after stevez died, i went with a friend to tempesta. while waiting in line to order, i told her the story that boudreaulicious shared about stevez's love of the B. Franklin sandwich; how even when he was dying he asked her to pick one up for him. apparently the woman behind the counter heard me and relayed the story to antonio, the young owner. he popped up outside while we were having our food and asked me to tell him about steve. he seemed sincerely moved to hear about steve and called over dave, the owner of coalfire pizza, who was hanging out with him. the 4 of us had a good chat and he refused to let me pay for my usual pint of nocciola gelato when i left. i know i didn't deserve any special consideration- but i appreciated how happy steve's love of the sandwich made antonio...the story touched me the same way, and i was glad i shared it with the good folks at tempesta.

That's a great story, Joan. Thank you, for sharing it.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more