LTH Home

Fat Chris's Detroit Style Pizza

Fat Chris's Detroit Style Pizza
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fat Chris's Detroit Style Pizza

Post #1 - February 17th, 2018, 7:54 am
    Post #1 - February 17th, 2018, 7:54 am Post #1 - February 17th, 2018, 7:54 am
    knitgirl wrote:A Detroit style place opened up on Foster a little ago, haven't been yet.

BR wrote:Fat Chris'
    1706 W. Foster
    Very respectable Detroit style pizza if you ask me, and friendly people. Not much of a dining in vibe, but nothing offensive either. I'll be back.

Re Fat Chris's, read they had Detroit style and offered by the slice. Stopped in about a month ago ordered a slice, declined the two slices with a soda deal, that actually seemed a good deal, and was served a respectable slice of thin pizza. Fat Chris's only does Detroit style whole pie. I could have inquired or simply looked at the menu as it plainly states slices are not Detroit style.

No harm no foul, slice was tasty, owner Chris, who is not fat by any stretch of the imagination, friendly and the room comfortable if a bit spartan. I keep meaning to go back to try the Detroit style pie
    FatChris1.jpg Fat Chris's thin slice with sausage and liberal sprinkle of crushed red pepper.

While the two dining areas are a bit minimalist as I was leaving a couple of nicely dressed thirty something women started setting up for a friends birthday party later that evening, balloons, streamers, cake, booze etc, looked to be a fun group. I imagine it was a festive and fun evening with good food.

Fat Chris's
    1706 W. Foster
    Chicago, IL 60646
    https://www.fatchrispizza.com/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - February 17th, 2018, 11:01 am
    Post #2 - February 17th, 2018, 11:01 am Post #2 - February 17th, 2018, 11:01 am
    As soon as I saw your picture of that slice, I knew it was their hand-tossed, not the Detroit square. Whoops! Having been in Detroit a few times recently (I had Buddy's and Loui's on my last trip) I am getting quite familiar with their deep dish so I am looking forward to trying Fat Chris's Pizza as well as Union Squared in Evanston. They both look the part.
  • Post #3 - February 17th, 2018, 11:31 am
    Post #3 - February 17th, 2018, 11:31 am Post #3 - February 17th, 2018, 11:31 am
    I've only tried the Union Squared offered at Revival, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, I liked Fat Chris' more. Now I'm getting hungry!
  • Post #4 - February 24th, 2018, 10:07 am
    Post #4 - February 24th, 2018, 10:07 am Post #4 - February 24th, 2018, 10:07 am
    Tried Fat Chris's this week. Nice little spot, friendly service (you walk up and order and they'll bring it all out to you). It felt closer in taste to Jet's than Buddy's. I even asked if they used brick cheese and got a yes, but if they did it wasn't much different to mozzarella - certainly not as noticeable as Buddy's or Loui's. The sauce was definitely different - it was thicker, with more tomato paste than I've gotten in Detroit and less sweet. The crust wasn't bad either, maybe not as light and fluffy as I would have expected. The sausage was decent, small pieces with fennel flavor. The verdict - very good pizza either way. Very crispy and oily crust which is always nice. Pizza doesn't take too long to cook for deep dish (probably conveyor belt). I would definitely go back, but it still fell a tiny bit short on matching the taste of Detroit style pizza overall for me.
  • Post #5 - October 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm
    Post #5 - October 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm Post #5 - October 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm
    We ordered a small Detroit style (sausage and banana pepper) the other night to enjoy at Spiteful Brewing a short distance away. A fine one-two punch if you need one. I'm not usually a crust person but the crispy, cheesy crust from the Fat Chris's pizza was very satisfying.
    -Mary
  • Post #6 - October 25th, 2019, 12:20 pm
    Post #6 - October 25th, 2019, 12:20 pm Post #6 - October 25th, 2019, 12:20 pm
    They do a lunch buffet on weekdays. Not necessarily the best way to judge the quality of a pizzamonger's product but I was still pretty pleased with their Detroit-style offerings. They also offered more traditional round crust -- thinner but not tavern-thin -- but I was already pretty full by the time they brought it out. $11 for adults, $6 for kids 6-11, free for kids 5 and under (accompanied by paying adult of course), drinks and salad bar included.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more