LTH Home

Kal'ish Plant Based Diner

Kal'ish Plant Based Diner
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kal'ish Plant Based Diner

Post #1 - April 1st, 2018, 10:15 am
    Post #1 - April 1st, 2018, 10:15 am Post #1 - April 1st, 2018, 10:15 am
    Second time eating at Kal'ish yesterday evening.

Bright, nice design, fast casual, order at the counter and they bring out your order.

We split the very good beet box salad. I had the Papa's Quesadillas and the house made chorizo is excellent, not giving up any flavor of real chorizo. My wife had the K Burger Green Mash Up with hand cut fries.

Wish there were more vegetable options, other than the two salads. Not directed just at Kal'ish, but most people who choose a plant based diet are healthy eaters, incorporating lots of vegetables which surprisingly are absent at many plant based restaurants.

Kal'ish
    1313 W. Wilson
    Chicago, IL 60640
    http://www.kalishvegan.com
  • Post #2 - April 2nd, 2018, 9:04 pm
    Post #2 - April 2nd, 2018, 9:04 pm Post #2 - April 2nd, 2018, 9:04 pm
    Agreed on more vegetables in general at these kinds of places, but as I look at the menu it earnestly looks like "fast/comfort food" is where they are starting to get folks to "try" the menu.

Hopefully they will add ah-mazing salads and vegetables soon.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #3 - June 19th, 2018, 10:12 am
    Post #3 - June 19th, 2018, 10:12 am Post #3 - June 19th, 2018, 10:12 am
    Had a very tasty inaugural visit to this Plant-based restaurant on Wilson in Sheridan Park (....some might say it's in -UPTOWN!)

Went for a Chicken Sandwich- that if you told me it wasn't "chicken"- I'd-a
    challenged you.
    Very tasty and umami rich blend of Seiten and ground Chickpea, then breaded and fried....(creating a Calorie versus Alkaline Food conundrum...but- I digress)
    ImageNOT-Chicken. Looks-Like-Chicken! but- it's Totally-"Plant-Based" (Seiten + Chickpea-based) by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Also- at $13.00 not a cheap sammy.
    But, since I'm new to this Plant-Based eating - in an attempt to become more alkaline-
    less acidic.....I'm exploring all things "Plant-Based" in and around town.

I returned for an Adzuki Bean burger, on another day- and was- "underwhelmed"-
    no image- but the taste just went as "meat-like" as a burger, and the overall flavor profile left me with a taste in my mouth, more of a dry Boca Burger encounter
    than a KUMA's experience.
    But- the Chicken is a winner!
    ImageKalish- 1313 West Wilsosn Avenue.,Chicago,IL by R. Kramer, on Flickr
  • Post #4 - August 18th, 2019, 9:56 am
    Post #4 - August 18th, 2019, 9:56 am Post #4 - August 18th, 2019, 9:56 am
    Friday dinner with youngest daughter, who had never been, prior to Kurt Elling at the Green Mill.

Remembering Randall's strong recommendation of the chicken sandwich, we split that and Papa's quesadillas. Agree with Randall, it did seem like chicken and we really liked it. I feel the same way about the chorizo in the quesadillas, which seems even more like the real thing.

We also shared a blueberry hand pie and an oatmeal apricot cookie, which were both excellent and you would not think were vegan. Neither were overly sweet, which is the biggest problem I have with vegan desserts that we don't make ourselves.

We still wonder why a plant based restaurant that is very serious about what they do, everything is made and baked in house, would not have some vegetable dishes, at least sides? We don't eat plant based meats often and don't go to diner-type vegan restaurants often. It would be awesome to be able to at least order some sides (brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc.) to get some vegetables into your meal.
  • Post #5 - August 19th, 2019, 5:56 pm
    Post #5 - August 19th, 2019, 5:56 pm Post #5 - August 19th, 2019, 5:56 pm
    Hey Al- So glad to hear that you-2-
    are a fan of The Coolest Cat in Showbusiness......
    11(x) Grammy Award-Nominated-& now
    Grammy Award Winning
    Male Jazz Vocalist- Kurt Elling. :D
    ImageKurt Elling plays @ The Green Mill Lounge-CHICAGO’s coolest Jazz Club by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    What a great show this weekend- at the place that "spawned"-
    & nurtured Kurt's Musical Journey.
    I'm a 25 year fan.
    I'm pleased that you liked the Plant-based food there-too.
    My better-half agrees with you that Kal'ish should have more "plants"/just veggies-
    on the menu.
    Me?- I have plenty of other places to go for that.....
    but- we always try
    and agree with The Lady of The House-
    to keep things mellow.
    Funny how many folks
    brought their dinner into The Green Mill- to help
    pass the huge wait necessary to get a seat-
    when Mr. Elling returns to perform at
    "The Pearl of Uptown".
  • Post #6 - August 20th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Post #6 - August 20th, 2019, 8:29 am Post #6 - August 20th, 2019, 8:29 am
    I've been seeing Kurt for the same amount of time and listen at home frequently. I mentioned to Kurt on Friday about really missing his regular Wednesday night gig prior to him moving to NY. Chicagoans were spoiled to have jazz star Patricia Barber every Monday (still her regular gig) and Kurt ever Wednesday, when they weren't touring. And for a $5 cover!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more