LTH Home

Sushi-San, the oma-Kaze

Sushi-San, the oma-Kaze
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sushi-San, the oma-Kaze

Post #1 - May 4th, 2018, 7:35 am
    Post #1 - May 4th, 2018, 7:35 am Post #1 - May 4th, 2018, 7:35 am
    The new sushi restaurant Sushi-San on Grand Avenue offers an omakase where you sit at the sushi bar and have Chef Kaze attend to you for about an hour. You have to separately reserve this, by telephone, and they have "seatings" at 6:00, 8:00 and 10:00 (I think). I believe only one group can do this at a time since Chef Kaze did not appear to do anything during our slot other than serve us.

As for the meal, it was absolutely spectacular. After a small tuna starter, the meal consists of 12 pieces of nigiri and a hand roll to finish. Chef Kaze said if you were still hungry he could augment it with 4 more pieces, but we were stuffed.

This is sushi you don't dip in soy sauce; each piece is carefully constructed to be eaten exactly as he presents it, whether brushed with soy or ponzu, topped with daikon or sprinkled with sea salt. Some highlights:
    Flounder which is topped with a piece of the fin that he blowtorches until the oils ooze out of the fin and drip unto the flounder.
    Needle fish: I asked why this delicious item is not on more menus and he said because it's very small and hard to cut proper slices
    Trout, farmed in Japan, that tasted unlike any trout we've had.
    A final, incredible piece of fatty tuna topped with freshly grated wasabi and osetra caviar.

The bill, with one beer, came to around $180 before tax and tip, for two.

As for the restaurant in general, while the food looked great, I'd be leery of returning because it was too noisy for me. Two of us sitting at the sushi bar were fine, but a group of four at a communal table? Then again, I find virtually every new Chicago restaurant too noisy, so take that comment with a grain of sea salt.

Sushi-San
    63 West Grand Avenue

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more