LTH Home

Old Habits @ Ludlow Liquors in Avondale

Old Habits @ Ludlow Liquors in Avondale
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Old Habits @ Ludlow Liquors in Avondale

Post #1 - July 8th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Post #1 - July 8th, 2018, 2:35 pm Post #1 - July 8th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    There have been several mentions around the forums about Ludlow Liquors and Old Habits, the foodservice component that's situated inside the bar (here, here and here, and probably others, too). I figured I'd start a dedicated thread and since this post is mainly about the food, I'm putting it here in the EOiC forum.

The bar occupies the former Orbit Room space and is helmed by Wade McElroy and Jeff Donahue who, along with Heisler Group, also helm the bouncy, pan-latin-themed Estereo in Logan Square and the gritty, nouveau/psuedo-dive bar Sportman's Club in Ukrainian Village. Ludlow is the first venture for this duo outside of -- and apart from -- Heisler, but their natural ability to provide lived-in comfort and welcome-back hospitality shines through from the get-go. The space is inviting with a well-stocked, burnished-wood back bar and creamsicle-orange, art deco-style accent lighting. There's also an exceptional patio space on the east side of the building with a dedicated satellite bar and seating for 60+. In short, the place is a perpetual party.

As if all this weren't enough, under the moniker of Old Habits, chef Nick Jirasek and sous chef Eric Valdivia run the kitchen inside of Ludlow and from there, are turning out some the city's best bar food. In fact, it's almost a mild insult to refer to it as bar food because even though many of the offerings are perfectly suited to be eaten in a bar setting, the food itself far transcends the category.

For example, a friend and I recently enjoyed a dinner of Shrimp Fried Rice and Chikin Delight (smoked jerk chiken, dirty rice, coco black beans). I've also enjoyed -- on more than one occasion -- the Chicago Rib Tips (classic smoked rib tips en su jugo, chicha, cheesed flour tortilla & seeded slaw) and their calling card sandwich, the Beefy Boi (pot roast sammich - braised brisket and cheek meat, house giardiniera aioli, onion crips, salt n vin chips)

Most recently, I stopped in with the family for some pre-dinner beverages and bites . . .

Crab Dragoon (crab meat, everything crm chz, grunions), Filipino Egg Rolls (beef, pork, spam, patis)

Shrimp Fried Rice (laughin bird schwumps, old bay rice, egg), Frensch Cut Fries w/bolognese, aka Bolo Fries

For reference, here's a shot of the printed version of the menu . . .

Old Habits menu - 18.0707

It's a great pleasure having this fine and friendly establishment within walking distance (though, I generally don't walk under the Kennedy after dark! :shock:). It's a quintessential neighborhood spot, and it feels that way from the moment you walk in. And just to be clear, even folks from outside the neighborhood are treated warmly there. :wink: On appearances this is not the kind of setting in which one might typically expect to find food this compelling or destination-worthy. But having been through most of the menu -- and some of it multiple times -- I can say with certainty that is. So, if you're a fan of great food, you need to check out the fare being put out by Old Habits @ Ludlow Liquors.

p.s. The bar offerings are equally notable but that's a story for another post.

=R=

Old Habits @ Ludlow Liquors
    2959 N. California
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 754-7492
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - July 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm
    Post #2 - July 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm Post #2 - July 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm
    Now on the short list. Ron, does this need to be date night only or would a well-behaved child be welcome? Audrey would be all over those Rangoon.
  • Post #3 - July 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm
    Post #3 - July 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm Post #3 - July 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm
    LynnB wrote:Now on the short list. Ron, does this need to be date night only or would a well-behaved child be welcome? Audrey would be all over those Rangoon.

I'm honestly not sure about that. I've never seen any kids in there but perhaps during the day? I think the patio opens at noon on Saturdays and Sundays (and google confirms this). I guess it'd be best to call and ask.

Re: the Crab Dragoons, much like Old Habits' Lumpia, they're delicious, and imo, represent a serious upgrade from 'traditional' freezer-to-fryer versions that are typically served elsewhere (heck, even their names and descriptions are playfully changed-up). They basically feel homemade.

=R=
  • Post #4 - July 8th, 2018, 6:53 pm
    Post #4 - July 8th, 2018, 6:53 pm Post #4 - July 8th, 2018, 6:53 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:p.s. The bar offerings are equally notable but that's a story for another post.

I have to push back on this. I'm entirely deferential to you with regard to the food, which is not my style of cuisine but has earned praise everywhere I've seen and is full of unique twists on old favorites. As for the beverage element, that shouldn't be conflated with Old Habits food menu of chef Nick Jirasek.

I've been for drinks like 5-6 times. It's okay because of its convenient location and now, their impressive patio. But the drinks are pre-mixed and nothing special. The ambience and service are fine, but don't think you're getting anything in the same league as Heisler ventures like Queen Mary or Estereo.
  • Post #5 - July 8th, 2018, 6:59 pm
    Post #5 - July 8th, 2018, 6:59 pm Post #5 - July 8th, 2018, 6:59 pm
    I loved the vibe, decor & tunes here. A place I felt totally comfortable and at home saddled up to the bar solo.

I have to work my way around the menu, but the lumpia were some of the best I've had, with a wider girth reminiscent of a Viet spring roll– more meat than wrapper, bringing the juicy salty Spam-infused core into the forefront. Loved the sharply acidic dipping sauce as well. And cute pres in the Spam can.

I think fans of the Depot pot roast sammy will feel misled (if you've read any of the back story about the menu in various reviews.) The grilled toast its built on is greezy from top to bottom, more like a melt (+ the beef is kinda suadero-like), rather than the soft pillowy textures of the OG. Not a bad sandwich, but for those of us with deep nostalgia for the Depot, this won't take you back. That lumpia sauce was great for cutting the richness tho.
  • Post #6 - July 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm
    Post #6 - July 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm Post #6 - July 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm
    bweiny wrote:But the drinks are pre-mixed and nothing special.

This is incorrect. There are only a couple of cocktails, mainly the punches, that are batched. Most are mixed to order. Maybe this differs on the patio? We mainly sit at the bar inside, where the bartenders are typically mixing drinks all the time.

=R=
  • Post #7 - July 8th, 2018, 7:22 pm
    Post #7 - July 8th, 2018, 7:22 pm Post #7 - July 8th, 2018, 7:22 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

This is incorrect. There are only a couple of cocktails, mainly the punches, that are batched. Most are mixed to order.

I'm afraid you're mistaken. The page that lists their 8 combinations available in 1, 2 or 3 oz servings have been pre-mixed (with the possibility of 1-2 ingredients being added at serving on a couple of the 8 I haven't tried). I've ordered and watched it first hand. Drinks that have 5-6 ingredients are served after 2-3 oz are poured out of a single dark/black bottle, then mixed with ice and served up or on the rocks. My statement was not incorrect.
  • Post #8 - July 8th, 2018, 7:53 pm
    Post #8 - July 8th, 2018, 7:53 pm Post #8 - July 8th, 2018, 7:53 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

This is incorrect. There are only a couple of cocktails, mainly the punches, that are batched. Most are mixed to order.

I'm afraid you're mistaken. The page that lists their 8 combinations available in 1, 2 or 3 oz servings have been pre-mixed (with the possibility of 1-2 ingredients being added at serving on a couple of the 8 I haven't tried). I've ordered and watched it first hand. Drinks that have 5-6 ingredients are served after 2-3 oz are poured out of a single dark/black bottle, then mixed with ice and served up or on the rocks. My statement was not incorrect.

Hmm...Flower Lords, Old Fashioneds and Escapists ordered yesterday were most definitely made to order from start to finish, with no batched components whatsoever (two are currently on the menu, the other is not). That said, I have no problem with partially batched cocktails, depending on which components are batched and which are added at service.

=R=
  • Post #9 - July 18th, 2018, 10:53 pm
    Post #9 - July 18th, 2018, 10:53 pm Post #9 - July 18th, 2018, 10:53 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:There have been several mentions around the forums about Ludlow Liquors and Old Habits, the foodservice component that's situated inside the bar (here, here and here, and probably others, too). I figured I'd start a dedicated thread and since this post is mainly about the food, I'm putting it here in the EOiC forum.
    [edit - images snipped to save bandwidth {mine}]
    It's a great pleasure having this fine and friendly establishment within walking distance (though, I generally don't walk under the Kennedy after dark! :shock:). It's a quintessential neighborhood spot, and it feels that way from the moment you walk in. And just to be clear, even folks from outside the neighborhood are treated warmly there. :wink: On appearances this is not the kind of setting in which one might typically expect to find food this compelling or destination-worthy. But having been through most of the menu -- and some of it multiple times -- I can say with certainty that is. So, if you're a fan of great food, you need to check out the fare being put out by Old Habits @ Ludlow Liquors.
    p.s. The bar offerings are equally notable but that's a story for another post.

Second of all, there's no need to walk under the expressway overpass. The CTA route #77 Belmont bus runs 24 hours a day. That is north of the venue. Comparison: The #76 Diversey bus quits a little after 10:00 pm. That's the route you would contact if you walked under the expressway overpass.
    The area is definitely gentrifying. This may be the point we have to put LTHF GNR Carniceria Guanajuato on the watch list lest Whole Foods or some other national natural grocer attempts to buy it out.
    What was the 1st part? :lol: I'm not a cocktail (or whiskey | bourbon) drinker (for the most part), so I can't speak for the ingredients or the preparation of those sippables. The beers on offer run the spectrum. There's a sleazy megabrew if you want to have that. Yes, there are quite a few India Pale Ales on tap. :| But there are other craftbeer styles also.
    I'll go here again one of these days.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #10 - September 11th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #10 - September 11th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #10 - September 11th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    A clarification on how the cocktails are made at Ludlow: the left side of the menu offers cocktails that are batched. The right side of the menu offers cocktails that are made to order. And, of course, any cocktail not on the menu is also made to order.

However, when Ludlow first opened, batched cocktails were not yet available, and at that time all the cocktails were being made to order. Additionally, for reasons of which I'm not entirely sure, even since then I've occasionally been served some left-side cocktails that were made to order . . . perhaps someone was training? I apologize for any confusion my earlier posts may have caused. In any event, here's a cocktail being made to order just the other night . . .

Joel stirs up a Pa Pa's Old Fashioned, from scratch

=R=
  • Post #11 - September 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Post #11 - September 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm Post #11 - September 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Ronnie’s post prompted me to enjoy one of my all time favorite cocktails, from Lundlow and The Sportsman Club, The Sportsman. Hadn’t had one recently and was suddenly craving one. I think of a Boulevardier as an improved Manhattan and the Sportsman is an improved Boulevardier.

Watching the Cubs outside on my patio on a fabulous evening, a Sportsman in one hand, and an Arturo Fuente Canone Maduro in the other, life is good.

In honor of the BOB bourbon thread, I used VOB 100 BOB as I have had them made at The Sportsman.
  • Post #12 - September 26th, 2018, 3:21 pm
    Post #12 - September 26th, 2018, 3:21 pm Post #12 - September 26th, 2018, 3:21 pm
    I and a couple friends shared a few Old Habits dishes last week while bending an elbow at Ludlow. Everything was tasty but the Beefy Boi (sic) was a true crowd-pleaser . . .

Old Habits' Beefy Boi @ Ludlow Liquors

=R=
  • Post #13 - September 26th, 2018, 4:25 pm
    Post #13 - September 26th, 2018, 4:25 pm Post #13 - September 26th, 2018, 4:25 pm
    Is that a serrated knife I see?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #14 - September 26th, 2018, 4:32 pm
    Post #14 - September 26th, 2018, 4:32 pm Post #14 - September 26th, 2018, 4:32 pm
    stevez wrote:Is that a serrated knife I see?

LOL, good question! Though, the meat is braised, so it may not matter too much in this application.

=R=
  • Post #15 - September 27th, 2018, 3:25 am
    Post #15 - September 27th, 2018, 3:25 am Post #15 - September 27th, 2018, 3:25 am
    stevez wrote:Is that a serrated knife I see?

I think you mean "Is this a serrated knife which I see before me?" :lol:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #16 - October 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm
    Post #16 - October 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm Post #16 - October 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm
    Was right by Ludlow this evening, so I stopped and had a seat at the bar.

Really like the vibe and they did a nice job with the space.

For clarification, there were only maybe 8 people and all at the bar. Asked if the Sportsman, one of my favorite cocktails, was batched. Barkeep said yes. Asked if it could be made from scratch. "No." Again, she was not at all busy at and not many drinks to be made for most of my time there. $12 and no brand given for the bonded bourbon. Sorry, but since they weren't at all busy, don't understand while they couldn't mix it when requested. I realize that may be their rule, but maybe some leeway for a customer on an empty Tuesday evening? Also the Ludlow version was not as good as the Sportsman at The Sportsman.

Food was good, not great, and would probably say to stick with drinks, but would prefer to have my drinks mixed when I order them.
  • Post #17 - January 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm
    Post #17 - January 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm Post #17 - January 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm
    Anyone been to the new Bone Brothery (replacing Old Habits) here? I am more keen on noodle soups than BBQ and it looks like the proprietor is very interested in generating high quality food.

Also as a non-drinker, how awkward would it be to show up just for food?
  • Post #18 - January 22nd, 2019, 8:38 pm
    Post #18 - January 22nd, 2019, 8:38 pm Post #18 - January 22nd, 2019, 8:38 pm
    botd wrote:Anyone been to the new Bone Brothery (replacing Old Habits) here? I am more keen on noodle soups than BBQ and it looks like the proprietor is very interested in generating high quality food.

Also as a non-drinker, how awkward would it be to show up just for food?

I believe the Bone Brothery is a limited-time pop-up and yes, I've been. I liked what we had but was kind of disappointed that during its run, some of the regular items were not available.

I don't think it'd be awkward at all to go and not drink alcohol. The staff is plenty accommodating.

The place opens at 5 but I think that food might not be available until 6. That was true of Old Habits but I'm not sure if it's also true of the Bone Brothery. Best to double-check first.

=R=
  • Post #19 - November 10th, 2020, 2:43 pm
    Post #19 - November 10th, 2020, 2:43 pm Post #19 - November 10th, 2020, 2:43 pm
    Ludlow Liquors, the cocktail bar with a spacious patio from Wade McElroy and Jeff Donahue (Sportsman’s Club, Estereo) in the former Orbit Room, is temporarily closed

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/5/12/212 ... oronavirus
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #20 - June 25th, 2021, 11:41 pm
    Post #20 - June 25th, 2021, 11:41 pm Post #20 - June 25th, 2021, 11:41 pm
    Old Habits is no more but Ludlow is back open and doing quite well. Patio is open and no reservations are required . . .

Logan Square All-Star Rory Toolan

It was great to see Rory mixing up drinks once again. And to round out the Logan Square All-Star team, Mickey Neely has taken the helm in the kitchen . . .

Salad
    With radishes, house green goddress dressing and lots of tarragon.

Buffalo Wings
    Textbook wings. Plenty saucy and yet, a light and crispy exterior . . . and more house dressing, too. This time, blue cheese.

Cheeseburger & Fries
    Carefully assembled and well-seasoned. A moist patty with crispy edges, made from Spence Farms beef.

High Life
    Well, it is Avondale/Logan Square, after all. 8)

=R=
  • Post #21 - August 14th, 2021, 1:05 pm
    Post #21 - August 14th, 2021, 1:05 pm Post #21 - August 14th, 2021, 1:05 pm
    Friday Happy Hour at Ludlow . . .

George T. Stagg
    Neat. Rocks on the side.

One of my favorite bourbons in the foreground and one of my favorite bartenders, Rory Toolan, in the background.

=R=
  • Post #22 - August 29th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Post #22 - August 29th, 2021, 7:44 pm Post #22 - August 29th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    It is a nice, 'cool' venue. :)
    But I do have to vent a little here. I stopped in here one Sunday afternoon. I was going to move on to the Beer Temple after a spell anyhow. :|
    Disappointingly, Ludlow Liquors has seemingly become another venue which only broadcasts its wi-fi network to 5 G devices. :cry:
    There were a number of older wi-fi networks appearing on my 2.4 G laptop, including those named for the Orbit Room. I looked through my pad of paper with old wi-fi passwords. I did not find one for the Orbit Room. (I feel I definitely logged on to it once with a previous laptop or netbook.)
    There is a solution to my quandary. But it involves somebody at the venue with a tablet or laptop, because I would be very wary trying to tabulate through a network properties screen on a mobile phone. Essentially, somebody who knows what he | she is doing needs to tick a box to transmit to lower-gigahertz devices. :idea:

I apologize for having to dump on Ludlow for this. But for venues which are paying for wi-fi {I am not clamoring it has to offer wi-fi.}, discriminating against patrons with older devices is not doing you much good. :arrow:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #23 - August 29th, 2021, 7:59 pm
    Post #23 - August 29th, 2021, 7:59 pm Post #23 - August 29th, 2021, 7:59 pm
    pudgym29 wrote:I apologize for having to dump on Ludlow for this.

The nerve of those fuckers!

I feel your pain. I was going to go to Ludlow a while ago, called and asked if they had Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry on the soda gun. Could not believe a "classy" joint like that does not offer my favorite beverage. Not even in cans.

Needless to say I took my money elsewhere.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - August 29th, 2021, 8:22 pm
    Post #24 - August 29th, 2021, 8:22 pm Post #24 - August 29th, 2021, 8:22 pm
    stealthily elbows G Wiv in his ribs, then sprouts an angelic face :P
    If you are running a venue where you want people to hang around and order more cocktails (of which the photograph of mine may be forthcoming), broadcasting your wi-fi network to all of them would seem to be pragmatic.
    I also do not comprehend how what a licensed venue has on the soda gun is relevant to its wi-fi offering. :?:
  • Post #25 - August 30th, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Post #25 - August 30th, 2021, 6:57 pm Post #25 - August 30th, 2021, 6:57 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: stealthily elbows G Wiv in his ribs, then sprouts an angelic face :P
    If you are running a venue where you want people to hang around and order more cocktails (of which the photograph of mine may be forthcoming), broadcasting your wi-fi network to all of them would seem to be pragmatic.
    I also do not comprehend how what a licensed venue has on the soda gun is relevant to its wi-fi offering. :?:

Did you ask them about it? Seems like if it was a simple fix, they’d likely be happy to oblige if asked.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more