LTH Home

Need Advice for Anniversary Dinner

Need Advice for Anniversary Dinner
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Need Advice for Anniversary Dinner

Post #1 - July 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Post #1 - July 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm Post #1 - July 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    I used to be a regular here. Then I had kids and my wife and I started eating most of our meals at home. As such, we really have lost touch with the dining scene. Hopefully, this marks a return for us, since, as much as I love eating with our kids, I do miss the great meals out with my wife.

In any case, I need advice on a place to enjoy our 20th anniversary. A few thoughts to limit it down.

We live in Streeterville and we definitely want to keep it in the city, but beyond that, the closer to our home neighborhood the better.

Second, we want to enjoy each others' company, so we need someplace where the overall noise level is relatively low.

In terms of food, our favorite place probably was Naha. We always found the food interesting and extremely well prepared. We knew we could order just about anything off the menu and get a good dish.

A tasting menu would be great, but not necessary. We know our way around a menu well enough to enjoy a meal, but at the same time, we also enjoy seeing how a chef thinks her or his courses should work together.

With the reference to Naha, Brindille is on the list of course (and I'd love to hear impressions of the place) and we'd like some other suggestions.

The last caveat - we've been saving a 1998 Ornellia for this night. We need a place that has food that would pair with it, and also is not likely to have it on the wine list (since places will not do corkage if they have it on the list).

I know this is really broad, but I really do appreciate any suggestions.
  • Post #2 - July 16th, 2018, 8:09 pm
    Post #2 - July 16th, 2018, 8:09 pm Post #2 - July 16th, 2018, 8:09 pm
    DML wrote:In terms of food, our favorite place probably was Naha. We always found the food interesting and extremely well prepared. We knew we could order just about anything off the menu and get a good dish.

Why not just go back to Naha?

I'll chime in with an additional, similar recommendation: North Pond. Not just because it has the exquisite location in the middle of the park (although that's nice too). But because I think Bruce Sherman's cuisine is very similar to your description of Naha - interesting and extremely well prepared. I love his style, because he'll serve a main ingredient, plated by surrounding it with a bunch of other interesting items, and I am constantly pleased by everything on each plate. Tip: When making your reservation, request the front room with the full-length windows facing the pond.

Both Naha and North Pond offer tasting menus, but far more diners at each order a la carte (and I think you can have a wonderful meal at either under either option).

If you are looking for more of a splurge for the occasion, I've had absolutely wonderful tasting menus recently at Alinea (of course), Smyth, and Oriole, along with top-notch service, and you can't go wrong with any of these, either. If you've never been to Alinea, it's by far the most unique experience, not just in sheer deliciousness, but also in mind-blowing presentation techniques. All three of these are considerably more expensive than Naha and North Pond, though, so there's that to consider.

Wherever you go, let them know about your anniversary when making your reservation, to give them a chance to make your special occasion even more special.
    Last edited by nsxtasy on July 16th, 2018, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #3 - July 16th, 2018, 8:13 pm
    Post #3 - July 16th, 2018, 8:13 pm Post #3 - July 16th, 2018, 8:13 pm
    Thanks. Naha is permanently closed.

We had our two best meals ever at Alinea, but I should have thought about it far earlier.

North Pond is a good option too. Thanks for the suggestion. We've enjoyed that place in the past but it has been a while since we've been there..
  • Post #4 - July 16th, 2018, 8:17 pm
    Post #4 - July 16th, 2018, 8:17 pm Post #4 - July 16th, 2018, 8:17 pm
    DML wrote:Thanks. Naha is permanently closed.

Oops. :shock:

You asked about Brindille. Based on one dinner there, I think it's very good indeed. However, I think it's just less unusual, and therefore less special for that reason. But if you really want French food, it's worth considering. Speaking of which, so is Everest, which has not only great food (and more unusual/creative than Brindille), but also that wonderful view looking out over the city.
  • Post #5 - July 16th, 2018, 8:33 pm
    Post #5 - July 16th, 2018, 8:33 pm Post #5 - July 16th, 2018, 8:33 pm
    Boka
  • Post #6 - July 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm
    Post #6 - July 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm Post #6 - July 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm
    Is Naha's promised reopening not happening this fall?

in March 2018, at chicagotribune.com, Phil Vettel wrote:“This is not a farewell,” she [Carrie Nahabedian] said. “Michael and I and most of our staff will still be at Brindille (534 N. Clark St.), and the new [Naha] space should be ready by early fall.”

The new location, Nahabedian said, is “not too far away. I love being in the heart of the city.”

As for your query, I can't speak to their corkage policy but Oriole seems like it would fit the bill nicely.

=R=

Oriole
    661 W Walnut St
    Chicago, IL 60661
    (312) 877-5339
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #7 - July 16th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    Post #7 - July 16th, 2018, 9:02 pm Post #7 - July 16th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Oriole looks amazing, and I also like the suggestion of Everest.

Over the years, my wife and I have loved Everest but it fell off our radar.

I will see if either of them will accommodate the wine request. If not, I may cook at home (thinking of doing a "greatest hits" of things I've cooked for her over the past 20 years) but whether it is for the anniversary or not, we need to check out those places.
  • Post #8 - July 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm
    Post #8 - July 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm Post #8 - July 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Is Naha's promised reopening not happening this fall?

in March 2018, at chicagotribune.com, Phil Vettel wrote:“This is not a farewell,” she [Carrie Nahabedian] said. “Michael and I and most of our staff will still be at Brindille (534 N. Clark St.), and the new [Naha] space should be ready by early fall.”

The new location, Nahabedian said, is “not too far away. I love being in the heart of the city.”

As for your query, I can't speak to their corkage policy but Oriole seems like it would fit the bill nicely.

=R=

Oriole
    661 W Walnut St
    Chicago, IL 60661
    (312) 877-5339

I strongly agree with the recommendation for Oriole. They do allow special bottles from home with corkage. Their front of house staff is thoughtful, accommodating, and all-around outstanding! I would recommending sending an email in advance regarding your celebration, and any requests you might have. This worked perfectly when we joined friends for a birthday celebration in February.
  • Post #9 - July 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm
    Post #9 - July 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm Post #9 - July 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm
    Another vote for Oriole; with Grace shuttered, Oriole is my go-to venue for a special occasion. The best service in Chicago, incredible cuisine from first bite to last, wonderful space (elegant yet relaxed and comfortable), widely spaced tables (so intimate and quiet) and as consistent as they come. Only issue is they do often book out far in advance, especially weekends (not sure when you are looking to dine or if you are open to weeknights).

Happy 20th anniversary!
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #10 - July 18th, 2018, 9:07 am
    Post #10 - July 18th, 2018, 9:07 am Post #10 - July 18th, 2018, 9:07 am
    I've had some great experiences at Sepia.
  • Post #11 - July 18th, 2018, 9:34 am
    Post #11 - July 18th, 2018, 9:34 am Post #11 - July 18th, 2018, 9:34 am
    Blackbird is our "go to" place for such celebrations.
  • Post #12 - July 18th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Post #12 - July 18th, 2018, 9:58 am Post #12 - July 18th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Update:

We went through the list and looked at options. Unfortunately, we did not see a place that would both accept the bottle and also would have a menu that would effectively pair with it.

However, the advice is not going to waste. My wife and I are going to go to Oriole for her birthday, and I'm glad that people reminded me about Everest. Everest is about two blocks from my office, so my wife and I definitely are going to make plans to head there.

We really appreciate all the help, and we look forward to returning to the dining scene over the next twenty years.

For those wondering what we are doing: I'm cooking a "greatest hits" of dishes that I've cooked over the years (for whatever reason, I tend to be the chef in am in charge of everything except deciding how long to cook meat. Her family likes meat cooked far longer than I do, so I defer to her on that topic). We are going to do a field green salad with figs and triple cream cheese, seared scallops with asparagus, we may do a second small fish course of salmon with a butter caper sauce, and then lamb (still deciding on lamb chops or if I will do a leg of lamb with a pepper/mustard crust. We are currently leaning towards the chops, very simply done with just a bit of salt and pepper). I may do garlic mashed potatoes with it, but I need to think about how the garlic will impact the wine. Dessert? No idea. I may go to Whole Foods and get something and pair it with a sauternes, since that is something we've come to enjoy together over the past 20 years.

Thanks again for all the advice and I look forward to being back here more often.
  • Post #13 - July 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm
    Post #13 - July 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm Post #13 - July 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm
    Excellent choice! Wishing you all the best on your meals.

After having visited most of the Michelin-starred places in Chicago, Oriole is still the most impressive to me (even over other heavy-hitters like Alinea and Smyth), so great choice!

I'd personally recommend the non-alcoholic cocktail pairing if it's offered. When I ordered it, Julia Momose was working some insane magic in those drinks.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more