LTH Home

Restaurants closed Sunday that should not be missed

Restaurants closed Sunday that should not be missed
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Restaurants closed Sunday that should not be missed

Post #1 - August 26th, 2018, 11:30 am
    Post #1 - August 26th, 2018, 11:30 am Post #1 - August 26th, 2018, 11:30 am
    I lead a group that goes to an ethnic restaurant normally one Sunday evening per month. In an upcoming month, the Sundays all have conflicts, so rather than skip, I thought this might be a good opportunity to go someplace that is closed on Sunday evenings.

The only one left on my "possibles" list is Amitibul, the Korean Vegan place. Another that was closed on Sundays is now closed 7x24.

Any recommendations? Remember, this is ethnic, American food does not qualify, unless some special non British descended regional food from an immigrant subculture, like cajun or Pennsylvania Dutch..
    Last edited by diversedancer on August 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #2 - August 26th, 2018, 11:44 am
    Post #2 - August 26th, 2018, 11:44 am Post #2 - August 26th, 2018, 11:44 am
    Location or general area?
  • Post #3 - August 26th, 2018, 12:58 pm
    Post #3 - August 26th, 2018, 12:58 pm Post #3 - August 26th, 2018, 12:58 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Location or general area?

My apologies. Well, if good enough, anywhere within 60-75 minutes of downtown. That said, since I have to preview, a preference for also within about 45 minutes of Des Plaines, and southside/south burbs difficult. Most of the recent diners are from the north and or west side of chicago and suburbs. Free parking and public transportation can be a plus. All but 2 past dinners have been cook county north of Fullerton I think. The outliers were Wheaton and Burbank.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #4 - August 26th, 2018, 2:30 pm
    Post #4 - August 26th, 2018, 2:30 pm Post #4 - August 26th, 2018, 2:30 pm
    Why not do a search using this website's search (referred to as Old, but really the best tool IMHO) for closed Sunday on the Eating out in Chicagoland board.

Search results here.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - August 26th, 2018, 3:22 pm
    Post #5 - August 26th, 2018, 3:22 pm Post #5 - August 26th, 2018, 3:22 pm
    Fat Rice, Parachute, & Soulwich are all ethnic/adventurous and closed Sunday evenings.
  • Post #6 - August 26th, 2018, 3:43 pm
    Post #6 - August 26th, 2018, 3:43 pm Post #6 - August 26th, 2018, 3:43 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Why not do a search using this website's search (referred to as Old, but really the best tool IMHO) for closed Sunday on the Eating out in Chicagoland board.

Regards,
    Cathy2

well, I didn't think of it, but from your search, 23 pages of search results, I counted about 40 on the first page, of which 2 were ethnic restaurants (the interesting one having one table and 3 chairs so not suitable, the second being 'nothing special Mexican, just inexpensive', so also not in my radar), maybe 2 more were hot dog places or bars, others were "false positives" like "closed Monday, hours 9 to 9 on Sunday" or "went there sunday, they are out of business and closed". Then there could well be many false negatives, i.e. there is no notation in the posting that they are closed on Sunday, or "closed weekends", or "closed sundy". I doubt there is any way to search reliably for a restaurant suitable for a group of 10-20 people (which I didn't specify, but since I DID say I was leading a group, I hope nobody would suggest the place with one table and 3 chairs.

Asking also automatically selects for places people think are good enough to recommend.
    Last edited by diversedancer on August 27th, 2018, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #7 - August 26th, 2018, 4:20 pm
    Post #7 - August 26th, 2018, 4:20 pm Post #7 - August 26th, 2018, 4:20 pm
    bweiny wrote:Fat Rice, Parachute, & Soulwich are all ethnic/adventurous and closed Sunday evenings.

Thank you , you may have nailed a second option to the vegan Korean place. I went to fat rice, liked it (so I would not have to go try it out, a plus), but got confused with de quay and had it marked as "closed" rather than "closed sunday" in my list. I don't think soulwich is ethnic enough from what I saw. Parachute is definitely too expensive, as just one entree plus tax and tip is almost $40.

Still open to other suggestions, as fat rice might be more expensive than my people are used to, I think. Hoping for $40 or less per person including tax and tip for a family style meal with multiple appetizers and entrees to sample, and dessert if the restaurant has appropriate specialties.

typically we might get 2 or 3 appetizers and 6 or 7 entrees for every 5 people plus they all expect a soda, which most places charge at least $2 often $3 for (probably a mistake to have gotten in the expectation, but that was before I ran the group).
    Last edited by diversedancer on August 27th, 2018, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #8 - August 26th, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Post #8 - August 26th, 2018, 5:02 pm Post #8 - August 26th, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Why not do a search using this website's search (referred to as Old, but really the best tool IMHO) ...
    Regards,
    Cathy2

Thank you so much for making me find the website search, which I never noticed before, especially since I just gave up on the almost totally useless google search and never did searches any more.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #9 - August 26th, 2018, 5:34 pm
    Post #9 - August 26th, 2018, 5:34 pm Post #9 - August 26th, 2018, 5:34 pm
    diversedancer wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Why not do a search using this website's search (referred to as Old, but really the best tool IMHO) ...
    Regards,
    Cathy2

Thank you so much for making me find the website search, which I never noticed before, especially since I just gave up on the almost totally useless google search and never did searches any more.

Having been here from the get-go, I have the advantage of remembering unique words and phrasing or who might have written what. It is still great with finding specific information.

The google search is so broad, it's results are the proverbial throw enough something on the wall and maybe something will be useful.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #10 - August 26th, 2018, 5:47 pm
    Post #10 - August 26th, 2018, 5:47 pm Post #10 - August 26th, 2018, 5:47 pm
    While Morena's Kitchen, listed clearly and early in C2's link, probably deserves to win this competition, it might just be too small for 20 ppl. It's cheap though.

Wholly Frijoles? Kai Zan is another. Tell 'em if they don't want to get stuffed into Morena's, beggars can't be choosers and the space at Kai Zan comes at a premium. It's a win-win.
  • Post #11 - August 26th, 2018, 8:04 pm
    Post #11 - August 26th, 2018, 8:04 pm Post #11 - August 26th, 2018, 8:04 pm
    Has your group gone to GNR Isla Pilipina? They close at 7PM on Sundays (and are closed all day Mondays), which we did not know until we joined friends for a 6PM reservation a few months ago. Very shareable food, BYOB if anyone wants something beside soda, plus a strip center parking lot

Isla Pilipina
    2501 W Lawrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
  • Post #12 - August 27th, 2018, 1:52 am
    Post #12 - August 27th, 2018, 1:52 am Post #12 - August 27th, 2018, 1:52 am
    bweiny wrote:While Morena's Kitchen, listed clearly and early in C2's link, probably deserves to win this competition, it might just be too small for 20 ppl. It's cheap though.

Wholly Frijoles? Kai Zan is another. Tell 'em if they don't want to get stuffed into Morena's, beggars can't be choosers and the space at Kai Zan comes at a premium. It's a win-win.

I mentioned Morena's without it's name, here is the full description "Morena's Kitchen is a half storefront hideaway on W Armitage, one table with three chairs and a few stools offering Caribbean/Dominican comfort food. "....too small.

And Kai Zan lists "early bird special $35" on Tuesday and Wednesday only at 5:15, which would be $45 with tax and tip, too expensive, too early (later would be even more expensive, right), too little food . Many refuse to RSVP more than a week in advance, I suspect a reservation for 15-20, if even possible, requires several weeks notice. When we go to a sushi place, some people only eat cooked items, some only vegetarian, some no shellfish, some mostly eat the non-sushi items included in the deal like salad, edamame, fried squid, etc, so sushi only works with "unlimited for prix fixe", and there are several I consider adequate.

I do hope to try both those places just for myself soon, so thank you for suggesting.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #13 - August 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm
    Post #13 - August 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm Post #13 - August 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm
    diversedancer wrote: I went to fat rice, liked it (so I would not have to go try it out, a plus), but got confused with de quay and had it marked as "closed" rather than "closed sunday" in my list.

de quay is closed, closed.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more