LTH Home

Min's Noodle House

Min's Noodle House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Min's Noodle House

Post #1 - September 17th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    Post #1 - September 17th, 2018, 3:51 pm Post #1 - September 17th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    If Ma Po Tofu and Dan Dan Noodles had a baby...

chunking_noodles.jpg Chunking Noodles W/$2.49 Pork

Good, if slightly one note broth, which was much better after the addition of some table vinegar & chili oil.

Min's Noodle House
    3255 S. Halstead
    Chicago, IL 60608
    312-465-2999
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - September 18th, 2018, 6:36 pm
    Post #2 - September 18th, 2018, 6:36 pm Post #2 - September 18th, 2018, 6:36 pm
    I really dug my first bowl of Dan Dan here. I'd never had the sesame-paste fortified version before and I loved the nutty creaminess, teasing out further complexity (and mouthfeel) from the typical chile oil/ black vinegar/ Sichuan peppercorn profile. The noodles were cooked well, though I'm not sure if they're made in house, but they work as a vehicle for that awesome sauce.

In fact, I craved that bowl for the following week and it was more convenient for me to swing by H-Mart for supplies than to schlep to Bridgeport, so I followed Prof. Wiv's recent recipe and found it quite similar & equally satisfying!
  • Post #3 - November 29th, 2018, 6:03 pm
    Post #3 - November 29th, 2018, 6:03 pm Post #3 - November 29th, 2018, 6:03 pm
    I was disappointed in the noodle soup here as it looks so good. At some point I need to try the breakfast options as those are pretty rare. I will also try the Dan Dan noodles, but I am very fond of JMC's version at the moment.
  • Post #4 - November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm
    Post #4 - November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm Post #4 - November 29th, 2018, 8:41 pm
    I find Min's to be merely okay on the noodle end of the spectrum. The noodles themselves are good, but the preparations are middling most of the time. I was very keen on the breakfast, as they offer some unique dishes (tofu brains being one), but the last time I had them, they were also phoned in. I'll go back, but not as frequently.

ETA: Not sure what JMC refers to...
  • Post #5 - November 30th, 2018, 4:01 am
    Post #5 - November 30th, 2018, 4:01 am Post #5 - November 30th, 2018, 4:01 am
    mtgl wrote:ETA: Not sure what JMC refers to...

Szechuan JMC
    243 W Cermak
  • Post #6 - December 11th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Post #6 - December 11th, 2018, 5:12 pm Post #6 - December 11th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Our dinner here really left us cold. We tried three appetizers (beef bing, pork bao, and spicy wonton dumpling), and the dan dan noodles. Honestly, we did not like a single dish. The dan dan noodles were bland, tasting only of pork and peanuts. No spice at all, no real flavor. The noodles themselves, though, were just right.

All three apps were off. The beef bing had flavorless beef strips on a bun, and little else. Chewy, not enjoyable. The pork filling for the bao was grayish and strange tasting. And the dumplings had a harsh flavor that lacked balance, and a mushy wonton skin. A really bad meal. Granted, we did not try the house special (the noodle soup), but everything on the menu should be decent.

Also, our hot tea was a Lipton tea bag. Ouch.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more