LTH Home

Landbirds - "Asian" Wings in Logan Square

Landbirds - "Asian" Wings in Logan Square
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Landbirds - "Asian" Wings in Logan Square

Post #1 - December 5th, 2018, 4:41 pm
    Post #1 - December 5th, 2018, 4:41 pm Post #1 - December 5th, 2018, 4:41 pm
    After hearing raves about this new, small storefront from several people in the neighborhood, I decided to check it out. My order of 12 lollipopped wings, piping hot right out of the fryer and spiced to a level 3 of 4, were excellent. They were a bit sweet, nicely spiced and a wee bit funky, too. They were light and crispy on the outside and very juicy inside. Really nice stuff.

12 (well, 10 now :wink:) Spicy Wings

I met the owner, Eddie, who told me that they've been open since just before Thanksgiving. He also mentioned that their wings are never frozen. Right now the signage is not great but that should change soon. And for now, it's byo, as well.

Landbirds
    2532 N California
    (west side of California, just south of Logan)
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 697-7107
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - December 8th, 2018, 10:33 pm
    Post #2 - December 8th, 2018, 10:33 pm Post #2 - December 8th, 2018, 10:33 pm
    I went for a second time today and I'd say they've gotten even better - particularly with regard to the highest heat level. Well-fried and juicy both times. This place is dangerous to have nearby.
  • Post #3 - December 9th, 2018, 4:12 pm
    Post #3 - December 9th, 2018, 4:12 pm Post #3 - December 9th, 2018, 4:12 pm
    As a long time Great Seas Chinese fan I'm jumping on the Landbirds bandwagon! Heat level #4 just right, crisp, juicy, delicious frenched drumettes.

Landbirds, Count me a Fan!

LandbirdsPost1.jpg Landbirds
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - December 10th, 2018, 10:55 am
    Post #4 - December 10th, 2018, 10:55 am Post #4 - December 10th, 2018, 10:55 am
    On Saturday for my boyfriend's birthday we did a "wing crawl" through the area. First stop was D-Men, then on to Son of a Butcher and then Landbirds was the last stop. My favorite of the night was Landbirds. What's not to love? Spicy, Cruchy, Salty, Sweet! Don't get me wrong, the other 2 places also have great wings. Landbirds lolli-pop style put them over the edge. I can't wait to go back.
  • Post #5 - December 21st, 2018, 4:15 pm
    Post #5 - December 21st, 2018, 4:15 pm Post #5 - December 21st, 2018, 4:15 pm
    I'm continuing to love Landbirds' wings (spicy tiger, 4/4 on the heat level, are outstanding) but at $20.99/dozen, they seem a bit pricey. Am I off-base on this? I don't do a lot of winging, so I don't really know. But nearly $2 a wing does seem a bit expensive.

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #6 - December 21st, 2018, 4:24 pm
    Post #6 - December 21st, 2018, 4:24 pm Post #6 - December 21st, 2018, 4:24 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm continuing to love Landbirds' wings (spicy tiger, 4/4 on the heat level, are outstanding) but at $20.99/dozen, they seem a bit pricey. Am I off-base on this? I don't do a lot of winging, so I don't really know. But nearly $2 a wing does seem a bit expensive.

For reference, I looked up pricing at a couple other wing places. Great Sea charges $15.49 per 14-piece order and Bonchon charges $12.95 for an order of 10. So, on a per-piece basis, pricing is as follows . . .

Landbirds - $1.75/wing
    (~35% more expensive than Bonchon and ~57% more than Great Sea)
    Bonchon - $1.30/wing
    Great Sea - $1.11/wing

Of course, this doesn't consider the quality or provenance of the ingredients but my initial impression that Landbirds' wings are relatively pricey was accurate.

=R=

• Post #7 - December 22nd, 2018, 11:58 am
    Post #7 - December 22nd, 2018, 11:58 am Post #7 - December 22nd, 2018, 11:58 am
    I don't get it. These are overpriced generic sweet Asian wings. Not even battered so it's barely crispy.
  • Post #8 - December 22nd, 2018, 2:19 pm
    Post #8 - December 22nd, 2018, 2:19 pm Post #8 - December 22nd, 2018, 2:19 pm
    botd wrote:I don't get it. These are overpriced generic sweet Asian wings. Not even battered so it's barely crispy.

This is based on only 3 visits, so take it for what it's worth but I find them to be perfectly and pleasantly crispy on the outside -- and more importantly -- very juicy and tender inside. I don't know if it's a function of them never being frozen or some other method(s) used but the meat on these wings is a noticeable cut above just about everything else I've ever had in town. There's none of that fibrous, desiccated stuff that's pretty common with a lot of fried chicken. However, there's a premium to be paid for it here. Is there value? I guess that's for each of us to decide for ourselves.

=R=

• Post #9 - December 22nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
    Post #9 - December 22nd, 2018, 3:05 pm Post #9 - December 22nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    botd wrote:I don't get it. These are overpriced generic sweet Asian wings. Not even battered so it's barely crispy.

This is based on only 3 visits, so take it for what it's worth but I find them to be perfectly and pleasantly crispy on the outside -- and more importantly -- very juicy and tender inside. I don't know if it's a function of them never being frozen or some other method(s) used but the meat on these wings is a noticeable cut above just about everything else I've ever had in town. There's none of that fibrous, desiccated stuff that's pretty common with a lot of fried chicken. However, there's a premium to be paid for it here. Is there value? I guess that's for each of us to decide for ourselves.

=R=

I'm really curious to hear how these compare to my gold standard Great Sea wings, which at the present time, I just can't get out of my head.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #10 - December 22nd, 2018, 3:55 pm
    Post #10 - December 22nd, 2018, 3:55 pm Post #10 - December 22nd, 2018, 3:55 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm continuing to love Landbirds' wings (spicy tiger, 4/4 on the heat level, are outstanding) but at $20.99/dozen, they seem a bit pricey.

Landbirds - $1.75/wing
    Bonchon - $1.30/wing
    Great Sea - $1.11/wing

Of course, this doesn't consider the quality or provenance of the ingredients but my initial impression that Landbirds' wings are relatively pricey was accurate.

The gold standard in overpriced wings, sweet Korean BBQ style specifically, is Dak on Granville. At $12.95 for 5 wings (2.59/per), Landbirds can carry on knowing they aren't the "worst". Another relevant comp is Crisp, at $9.95/5, $17.95/10 (1.99/1.79p).

It should be noted that both of these are full wings, not French drumettes. I prefer full pieces to drumettes for the simple reason that w/ well-sauced wings - the more surface area and skin, the better. With a small space, it looks like Landbirds can live with some people passing based on lack of value and still do well in a 'premium' niche.
  • Post #11 - December 25th, 2018, 5:38 am
    Post #11 - December 25th, 2018, 5:38 am Post #11 - December 25th, 2018, 5:38 am
    bweiny wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm continuing to love Landbirds' wings (spicy tiger, 4/4 on the heat level, are outstanding) but at $20.99/dozen, they seem a bit pricey.

Landbirds - $1.75/wing
    Bonchon - $1.30/wing
    Great Sea - $1.11/wing

The gold standard in overpriced wings, sweet Korean BBQ style specifically, is Dak on Granville. At $12.95 for 5 wings (2.59/per), Landbirds can carry on knowing they aren't the "worst". Another relevant comp is Crisp, at $9.95/5, $17.95/10 (1.99/1.79p).

It should be noted that both of these are full wings, not French drumettes. I prefer full pieces to drumettes for the simple reason that w/ well-sauced wings - the more surface area and skin, the better. With a small space, it looks like Landbirds can live with some people passing based on lack of value and still do well in a 'premium' niche.

The dak wings are humongous, as you note. I don't see how they're even in the same category.
  • Post #12 - January 25th, 2019, 4:18 pm
    Post #12 - January 25th, 2019, 4:18 pm Post #12 - January 25th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Longtime lurker, brother of DClose, lover of wings, and hopefully embedded this image right.

Stopped by Landbird today and the wings were amazingly crisp and perfectly spicy. Contemplating a tray for Superbowl eatin'. The owner said they are going to be open Superbowl Sunday for tray order pick-up.

I had a soft spot for previous tenant Anong as my walkable neighborhood Thai joint, but Landbird is softening the blow.
  • Post #13 - January 28th, 2019, 4:24 am
    Post #13 - January 28th, 2019, 4:24 am Post #13 - January 28th, 2019, 4:24 am
    KClose wrote:Image
    The owner said they are going to be open Superbowl Sunday for tray order pick-up.

I imagine that's going to be one helluva day over there!

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more