LTH Home

Which Pilsen taqueria?

Which Pilsen taqueria?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Which Pilsen taqueria?

Post #1 - February 16th, 2019, 11:19 am
    Post #1 - February 16th, 2019, 11:19 am Post #1 - February 16th, 2019, 11:19 am
    If you wanted a few tacos for lunch, where would you go in Pilsen? I usually head for Birrieria Reyes de Ocotlan, but I'm with kids who are going to want something other than goat. I've been to Atotonilco at 1637 S. Blue Island a couple of times and it's fine (I'm a big fan of the pickled carrots and cauliflower), but perhaps there's something better?
  • Post #2 - February 16th, 2019, 1:18 pm
    Post #2 - February 16th, 2019, 1:18 pm Post #2 - February 16th, 2019, 1:18 pm
    If you're willing to go just a bit west, I really dig 5 Rabanitos right across the park from the art museum. Although if you're already willing to cross Ashland you could also go a mile up to La Lagartija, of course not in a Mexican neighborhood at that point. Over in La Villita (if atmosphere is more important than specific geography), Los Barrilitos still has my favorite al pastor. [One more thought: Sabas Vega for carnitas. Unctuous.]
  • Post #3 - February 16th, 2019, 9:03 pm
    Post #3 - February 16th, 2019, 9:03 pm Post #3 - February 16th, 2019, 9:03 pm
    Agreed with all of Santander's thoughts, and might also suggest Uruapan if you have youngsters...it's really hard to argue with pork for the kiddos. I know some folks who swear by Don Pedro over Uruapan, but I've had more consistent experiences at Uruapan.

El Taco Azteca is also a bit further, being on Cermak just west of Damen, but they are fantastic tacos; like 5 Rabanitos, it's a bit "fancier," but at both the execution is worth the extra buck. I love their tacos arabes in particular.

And if it's Wednesday or Thursday, definitely saunter over to Barrilitos, where tacos are something like a dollar fifty each. I miss the dollar-taco days.

And for a real change of pace, Yvolina's tamales are utterly delectable--we occasionally bring home a jar of mole we love it so much. They also manage to pull off vegan tamales without sacrificing flavor. I wish they had more love around here.
  • Post #4 - February 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm
    Post #4 - February 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm Post #4 - February 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm
    If you want birria that's not goat, I hear that Taquizas Don Rafa does an excellent birria de res (beef), though I've not made it there yet myself.

I can second 5 Rabanitos and Carnitas Uruapan.
    The best food is well-spiced and well-fattened.
  • Post #5 - February 23rd, 2019, 9:30 pm
    Post #5 - February 23rd, 2019, 9:30 pm Post #5 - February 23rd, 2019, 9:30 pm
    lowwall wrote: If you wanted a few tacos for lunch, where would you go in Pilsen? I usually head for Birrieria Reyes de Ocotlan, but I'm with kids who are going to want something other than goat. {edit}
    Come on! You know what is the trick. Don't tell the kids the meat is 'goat', tell them it's ..some weird fantastic creature that you read about way before they were born (compose a cool sounding name for it)!
    They'll want to taste it so swiftly your mouth will gape clench. :twisted:
    The links you can use, without the fluff, or sales pitch: http://208.84.112.25/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more