LTH Home

Café Cancale - Coastal French Seafood in Wicker Park

Café Cancale - Coastal French Seafood in Wicker Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Café Cancale - Coastal French Seafood in Wicker Park

Post #1 - May 14th, 2019, 8:28 am
    Post #1 - May 14th, 2019, 8:28 am Post #1 - May 14th, 2019, 8:28 am
    My friends and I dined at Café Cancale last night at their grand opening. One-Off definitely pulled off what can be an impossible feat for others and transformed the space in under two months since it's last iteration as Publican Anker. Gone are the dark wood and gastropub fare, in are upholstered booths and a plethora of coastal French seafood dishes. Everything we had was delicious: for starters we had a chef's selection of oysters, charred leeks with mussels, walleye quenelles and a duck terrine. Our mains were the steak frites, the roasted chicken, the halibut and the trout. The portion sizes for the steak and chicken were drastically larger than those of the fish mains.
    Overall, it was a pleasant meal. However, it was definitely a different price tier than Publican Anker and the feel of the room is different from the relaxed, casual atmosphere. I wish them well, but I wonder if this restaurant may be better suited to a different area of the city than the chaos of the Milwaukee/Damen/North intersection.

Café Cancale
    1576 N Milwaukee Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    https://www.cafecancale.com
  • Post #2 - May 14th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Post #2 - May 14th, 2019, 3:25 pm Post #2 - May 14th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Why would the location be better suited elsewhere?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #3 - May 15th, 2019, 7:25 am
    Post #3 - May 15th, 2019, 7:25 am Post #3 - May 15th, 2019, 7:25 am
    My guess would have to do with the fact that they don’t feel comfortable posting their prices. If it’s that high, will the local demographic support it?
  • Post #4 - May 15th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Post #4 - May 15th, 2019, 7:29 am Post #4 - May 15th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Quite expensive to live in that hood these days. I know. Just moved from it after 13 yrs.
  • Post #5 - May 15th, 2019, 8:05 am
    Post #5 - May 15th, 2019, 8:05 am Post #5 - May 15th, 2019, 8:05 am
    it's one of the priciest hoods in the city, if this place fails it will because of a lack of flat screens
  • Post #6 - May 15th, 2019, 8:35 am
    Post #6 - May 15th, 2019, 8:35 am Post #6 - May 15th, 2019, 8:35 am
    AlekH wrote:it's one of the priciest hoods in the city, if this place fails it will because of a lack of flat screens
    AKA Division St and one reason I moved were the douchebros akimbo. The other was the rents were nuts.
  • Post #7 - June 5th, 2019, 11:44 am
    Post #7 - June 5th, 2019, 11:44 am Post #7 - June 5th, 2019, 11:44 am
    All sort of douches (including ourselves) were in the neighborhood mix outside of Cancale when we stopped in for their weekday Happy Hour special: Oysters $1/each (otherwise $3/each) from 4-6 pm, M-F. It's a bit of an unconventional set up. No specific oysters are designated. Instead, they offer single varieties from their list, one at a time, until they run out of them. After one variety gets 86'd, they serve another, and then another, until the bell tolls at 6 pm.

As you'd expect, there's a mix of east and west coast bivalves. Quality is high across the board. Shucking was skillful, with relatively few shards of shell and decent liquor retention, and it got better as our session went on.

In addition to several dozen oysters, we had a few rounds of the Martini Classique, which is made with a choice of Citadel Dry Gin or Village Vodka (plus Dolin dry vermouth and orange bitters). I'm not sure how a martini made with vodka ever gets classified as a 'classique' but that's probably a debate for another thread. In any case, the martinis were well made and at $11, a decent value, especially for the neighborhood. And I'm fairly certain this is their regular price, not a happy hour offering.

We didn't have any other food or beverages but I'm guessing we'll be back for some of that sooner than later. Bottom line, though, if you like oysters, and martinis, Cafe Cancale is a really nice happy hour option.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more