LTH Forum Holiday Party

Posted September 30th 2012, 10:51pm
I was near Sheridan and Irving Park this evening and decided to get some take-out from TAC Quick in the post-Andy era. Good restaurants can survive with a chef turnover. And TAC Quick is an excellent restaurant.

I ordered two specials that I had not had previously (I don't know if they were previously on a rotating list of specials): Brisket with Basil and Prik Khing with Crispy Pork Belly. Both were excellent, as fine as any take-out I have had from TAC, and had I not known that Andy had left I would not have guessed. He must have trained his staff well. The Prik Khing, a red Thai curry, had a lot of good heat and the pork was nicely crispy. The brisket was not as spicy hot, but very moist and flavorful.

So far, so good, TAC Quick.

Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik

Posted April 3rd 2013, 9:40pm
Dinner Monday night at TAC Quick was pretty good, but in my opinion well below the level I had grown accustomed too. There were a couple of major train wrecks in fact. First, the sticky rice was actually wet and sticky, not at all how it should be served. The idea with sticky rice is to lightly squeeze a ball of it with your fingers and dip it in your sauce/food. But when you tried to pick up this rice with your fingers, it was too moist and just stuck to your hands. The Isaan sausage was also a big disappointment, very much (and surprisingly) lacking in flavor.

The nam tok preparation was particularly odd, featuring a garden's worth of mint, many spinach leaves and unripe tomatoes. A duck curry dish was decent, but I found the curry to be a little too much on the sweet side. However, I hadn't tried this dish at TAC before so I can't say if it's changed.

But don't let me leave you with the impression that everything was off. Crispy On Choy was generally on target, if perhaps slightly unbalanced towards sour. Pad Thai in Omelet was also close to its usual self, except that the omelet part itself might have been a tad overcooked (really minor issue though). Kra Phrao Kai Khai Yeow Ma (minced chicken, crispy fried basil, preserved egg) may have been the best of the bunch and pretty much as good as ever.
Posted October 3rd 2013, 8:25pm
No longer a GNR (?) the last few posts were pretty old and not so favorable- thinking about going to satisfy my Thai craving-am I making a mistake?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Site Admin
Posted October 3rd 2013, 8:34pm
Elfin wrote:No longer a GNR (?) the last few posts were pretty old and not so favorable- thinking about going to satisfy my Thai craving-am I making a mistake?

TAC Quick is still a GNR.

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen
Posted October 4th 2013, 11:41am
stevez wrote:
Elfin wrote:No longer a GNR (?) the last few posts were pretty old and not so favorable- thinking about going to satisfy my Thai craving-am I making a mistake?

TAC Quick is still a GNR.

TAC Quick will definitely still satisfy your cravings.
Posted October 7th 2013, 12:10pm
Tac Quick did not disappoint. We arrived Friday night about 30 minutes late for our reservation and they had saved our table. Not a big deal as there were plenty of empty tables. I thought it should have been more crowded on a Friday night -7:15-30 and it was never full during our time there-we left around 9:15. The food and service were really, really good. We brought two bottles of wine-a white and red- and a wine cooler was placed on the table right away. We ordered grilled squid, Nam Tok, Penang tofu, basil mussels and a seafood soup-forget the name but similar to Tom Kha but with seafood. All was delicious-the squid had the perfect chew and grilled flavor. The Nam Tok was tender, grilled and the bed of greens and mint was really nice-not the usual iceberg/romaine in lesser quality joints. The basil mussels were prepared well-not gritty and the soy/basil sauce was really nice. The Penang tofu had a lot of crisp peppers, onions and flavorful sauce and we ate every drop of sauce with rice. The soup was OK-it had a little too much greens that were underdone-a feat for soup so it had to be added later to a mother stock. We finished all but the soup. As it was a big B-day fete, I brought a Snickers Pie from Magnolia Bakery and the waitstaff brought extra plates and presented it complete with candle lit (I brought candles just in case). The whole bill including tax and tip was under $60-and everyone vowed to return with others. As the place was never full I wonder how it is doing. We will definately go back as it is an easy on/ easy off Red Line Sheridan stop.

What disease did cured ham actually have?
Posted October 7th 2013, 3:12pm
Elfin wrote:Tac Quick did not disappoint. We arrived Friday night about 30 minutes late for our reservation and they had saved our table. Not a big deal as there were plenty of empty tables. I thought it should have been more crowded on a Friday night -7:15-30 and it was never full during our time there-we left around 9:15. The food and service were really, really good. We brought two bottles of wine-a white and red- and a wine cooler was placed on the table right away. We ordered grilled squid, Nam Tok, Penang tofu, basil mussels and a seafood soup-forget the name but similar to Tom Kha but with seafood. All was delicious-the squid had the perfect chew and grilled flavor. The Nam Tok was tender, grilled and the bed of greens and mint was really nice-not the usual iceberg/romaine in lesser quality joints. The basil mussels were prepared well-not gritty and the soy/basil sauce was really nice. The Penang tofu had a lot of crisp peppers, onions and flavorful sauce and we ate every drop of sauce with rice. The soup was OK-it had a little too much greens that were underdone-a feat for soup so it had to be added later to a mother stock. We finished all but the soup. As it was a big B-day fete, I brought a Snickers Pie from Magnolia Bakery and the waitstaff brought extra plates and presented it complete with candle lit (I brought candles just in case). The whole bill including tax and tip was under $60-and everyone vowed to return with others. As the place was never full I wonder how it is doing. We will definately go back as it is an easy on/ easy off Red Line Sheridan stop.

I regularly order delivery from TAC as it typically is 30 minutes between order and buzzer. When I do dine in with friends, it's usually on a weekend night and if not at capacity, they are typically around 75% full by the time we leave. They don't do anything when it comes to promoting themselves, and I have been surprised by the number of people who swear restaurant X is the best Thai in this city and don't know about TAC Quick (or Rainbow Cuisine for that matter). I wish them the best of luck, but they seem to have been at the same pace for a few years now.
Home Cookin'

Online Information