LTH Home

Rosscoe's Chicken and Waffle's

Rosscoe's Chicken and Waffle's
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - March 16th, 2008, 2:04 pm
    Post #31 - March 16th, 2008, 2:04 pm Post #31 - March 16th, 2008, 2:04 pm
    I'd long labored under the misimpression that LA was improperly taking credit for soemthing from Atlanta -- chicken and waffles. However, I recently read something that seemed to fairly document the origins of chicken and waffles as a specific form to Harlem early in the last century. I'll try to dig it up.
  • Post #32 - March 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm
    Post #32 - March 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm Post #32 - March 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm
    JeffB wrote:I'd long labored under the misimpression that LA was improperly taking credit for soemthing from Atlanta -- chicken and waffles. However, I recently read something that seemed to fairly document the origins of chicken and waffles as a specific form to Harlem early in the last century. I'll try to dig it up.

I've always heard the story that it originated at Wells Supper Club in Harlem, serving late dinner and early breakfast on one plate to people leaving jazz clubs late at night.

Wikipedia has the same story as well as a couple other origin theories.
  • Post #33 - March 16th, 2008, 5:43 pm
    Post #33 - March 16th, 2008, 5:43 pm Post #33 - March 16th, 2008, 5:43 pm
    I am so unimpressed at this point!

After 3 years of preparing to open, you'd think Rosscoe's of Chicago - which is definitely NOT Roscoe's of LA - would have its act together. Saturday was my 2nd time attempting to get serviced at this restaurant. Earlier in the week, as I was told Monday would be the official opening, I arrived only to be told there was a mix-up with the health inspection. The grand opening was changed to Saturday. Well, I tried again yesterday, only to see a sign stating, "Card machine not working. Cash only." On opening day? Not good. Well, I went to an ATM for cash and returned only to be told that I couldn't place a carry-out order. It was eat-in only due to the credit card machine breakdown and long wait. I told the owner that she should have anticipated a huge turnout and prepared accordingly. Also, told this owner and her employees that this lack of organization doesn't reflect well for the restaurant. One worker responded sarcastically, "Well, our reputation will speak for itself." Oh, really? With that attitude, I literally threw up my hands and walked out. I have been to Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles in LA and Gladys & Ron's Chicken & Waffles in Atlanta. Both offer superb service. Maybe Rosscoe's owners need to visit the LA and Atlanta establishments and learn how to run a business. No wonder Roscoe's LA owner doesn't franchise. Who'd want to be embarrassed by the likes of Rosscoe's of Chicago? This Rosscoe's needs to get its act together.
  • Post #34 - March 16th, 2008, 10:31 pm
    Post #34 - March 16th, 2008, 10:31 pm Post #34 - March 16th, 2008, 10:31 pm
    This talk of chicken and waffles caused a craving that made me improvise for quickie dinner tonight -- Jewel fried chicken and Eggo waffles (a proper waffle iron's on the wedding registry). I topped them with habanero maple syrup from the Chopping Block, which seemed to be invented for just such a meal.
  • Post #35 - March 17th, 2008, 8:15 am
    Post #35 - March 17th, 2008, 8:15 am Post #35 - March 17th, 2008, 8:15 am
    blipsman wrote:This talk of chicken and waffles caused a craving that made me improvise for quickie dinner tonight -- Jewel fried chicken and Eggo waffles (a proper waffle iron's on the wedding registry). I topped them with habanero maple syrup from the Chopping Block, which seemed to be invented for just such a meal.

I was almost tempted to do the same thing yesterday. But feel this Rosscoe's opening has been so jinxed, my own concoction probably wouldn't fare well either. :wink:
  • Post #36 - March 17th, 2008, 10:18 am
    Post #36 - March 17th, 2008, 10:18 am Post #36 - March 17th, 2008, 10:18 am
    ta1064 wrote:I was almost tempted to do the same thing yesterday. But feel this Rosscoe's opening has been so jinxed, my own concoction probably wouldn't fare well either. :wink:

I wouldn't call it jinxed; I'd call it karma for ripping off and besmirching the good name of Roscoe's.
    When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
  • Post #37 - March 17th, 2008, 10:57 am
    Post #37 - March 17th, 2008, 10:57 am Post #37 - March 17th, 2008, 10:57 am
    Fujisan wrote:
    ta1064 wrote:I was almost tempted to do the same thing yesterday. But feel this Rosscoe's opening has been so jinxed, my own concoction probably wouldn't fare well either. :wink:

I wouldn't call it jinxed; I'd call it karma for ripping off and besmirching the good name of Roscoe's.

Yeah, karma would be the appropriate term. I've eaten twice at Roscoe's in LA and never had a bad experience. Rosscoe's owners claim their food is better and fresher than Roscoe's. Well, if I EVER get a chance to get served at Rosscoe's then MAYBE I'll find out. Right now, Rosscoe's is definitely not on Roscoe's level. One of Rosscoe's owners should fly to LA, visit a Roscoe's restaurant and observe its operations.
  • Post #38 - March 17th, 2008, 3:11 pm
    Post #38 - March 17th, 2008, 3:11 pm Post #38 - March 17th, 2008, 3:11 pm
    JeffB wrote:I'd long labored under the misimpression that LA was improperly taking credit for soemthing from Atlanta -- chicken and waffles. However, I recently read something that seemed to fairly document the origins of chicken and waffles as a specific form to Harlem early in the last century. I'll try to dig it up.

eatchicago wrote:I've always heard the story that it originated at Wells Supper Club in Harlem, serving late dinner and early breakfast on one plate to people leaving jazz clubs late at night.

Wikipedia has the same story as well as a couple other origin theories.

Chicken and waffles quite definitely predates Wells, going back to the 19th century, at least.
  • Post #39 - March 18th, 2008, 8:22 pm
    Post #39 - March 18th, 2008, 8:22 pm Post #39 - March 18th, 2008, 8:22 pm
    Called today to see if carry-out was available. The employee told me that carry-out is unavailable indefinitely. According to her, "We are space challenged." They're using the carry-out area for storage now! :shock:

I really wonder who did the strategic planning for this restaurant. It's time they hire a real business advisor.
  • Post #40 - March 21st, 2008, 12:28 pm
    Post #40 - March 21st, 2008, 12:28 pm Post #40 - March 21st, 2008, 12:28 pm
    lolz... Jan '06 turned to March '08. All that wait for not a very good waffle and not a very good fried chicken...

feel sorry for Bronzeville...
  • Post #41 - April 9th, 2008, 6:19 am
    Post #41 - April 9th, 2008, 6:19 am Post #41 - April 9th, 2008, 6:19 am
    Roscoe's suing Rosscoe's

Free registration may be required to view.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #42 - April 9th, 2008, 7:13 am
    Post #42 - April 9th, 2008, 7:13 am Post #42 - April 9th, 2008, 7:13 am
    Food Nut wrote:Roscoe's suing Rosscoe's

This lawsuit doesn't surprise me. Plus the sub-par service at Rosscoe's is bringing down Roscoe's reputation. Rosscoe's will have to change its name and similarly named menu items. You can't copy a brand and expect no legal action. Roscoe's owner Herb Hudson is a pro and very protective of his enterprise.
  • Post #43 - April 9th, 2008, 7:17 am
    Post #43 - April 9th, 2008, 7:17 am Post #43 - April 9th, 2008, 7:17 am

To me, the most interesting tidbit here, though incidental, is that Hudson says he plans to open up shop in Chicago.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #44 - April 9th, 2008, 7:26 am
    Post #44 - April 9th, 2008, 7:26 am Post #44 - April 9th, 2008, 7:26 am
    Dmnkly wrote:

To me, the most interesting tidbit here, though incidental, is that Hudson says he plans to open up shop in Chicago.

I lookforward to eating at the REAL Roscoe's whenever it opens in Chicago. I've been to Roscoe's in LA. The food and service are great.
  • Post #45 - April 9th, 2008, 12:14 pm
    Post #45 - April 9th, 2008, 12:14 pm Post #45 - April 9th, 2008, 12:14 pm
    Chicago's Rosscoe's is Rosscoe's no more.
  • Post #46 - April 9th, 2008, 12:17 pm
    Post #46 - April 9th, 2008, 12:17 pm Post #46 - April 9th, 2008, 12:17 pm

""I'm happy as a chicken eating waffles," said Johnson, outside the courtroom in the Dirksen Federal Courthouse in downtown Chicago."

Uh-huh... :roll:
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #47 - April 9th, 2008, 12:21 pm
    Post #47 - April 9th, 2008, 12:21 pm Post #47 - April 9th, 2008, 12:21 pm
    I liked the judge's line.
    Said U.S. District Judge Samuel Der-Yeghiayan at the conclusion of the hearing Wednesday: "I see that both parties understand the issues and facts of life and none of the parties are waffling on the issue."
  • Post #48 - April 9th, 2008, 12:24 pm
    Post #48 - April 9th, 2008, 12:24 pm Post #48 - April 9th, 2008, 12:24 pm

So when Rosscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles opened March 15 in Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood, the name recognition brought droves to the restaurant. There's just one discrepancy: This Roscoe's is spelled Rosscoe's.

That extra "s" prompted Roscoe's in Los Angeles to file a federal lawsuit in Chicago on Tuesday against Rosscoe's in Chicago, alleging trademark infringement.

Beyond the name, there are other similarities:

•Both restaurants' logos feature a cartoon chicken standing in front of a waffle.

•Both include a drink called the "Sun Rise"—orange juice and lemonade. Both have drinks called "Sunset."

•Both feature like-sounding menu items. At Roscoe's: Carol C. Special, Natalie's Special, The Stubby. At Rosscoe's: Carol's Treat, Ed Hale Special, The Saint.

Hudson, owner and founder of Roscoe's in Los Angeles, said: "We'll be suing them to the hilt."

"He's got to do what he's got to do," said Johnson, owner of Chicago's Rosscoe's. "In a court of law, in a civil case, we feel we can win 9 out of 12 jurors. If they get the whole story."

From the business culture I have observed on the southside, the reaction of Mr. Johnson is not surprising. There are many similar sounding business names with remarkably similar logos, menus and food preparations. This kind of stealing ideas, names and logos is just a standard business practice. If Roscoe's pursues their lawsuit further, I can predict Mr. Johnson will be surprised when the jury submits their verdict.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #49 - April 9th, 2008, 12:35 pm
    Post #49 - April 9th, 2008, 12:35 pm Post #49 - April 9th, 2008, 12:35 pm
    nr706 wrote:I liked the judge's line.
    Said U.S. District Judge Samuel Der-Yeghiayan at the conclusion of the hearing Wednesday: "I see that both parties understand the issues and facts of life and none of the parties are waffling on the issue."

Shows the judge has a sense of humor. I bet after the court session, the judge was in his chambers rolling in laughter over this chicken and waffles lawsuit.
  • Post #50 - April 9th, 2008, 12:37 pm
    Post #50 - April 9th, 2008, 12:37 pm Post #50 - April 9th, 2008, 12:37 pm
    David Hammond wrote:

""I'm happy as a chicken eating waffles," said Johnson, outside the courtroom in the Dirksen Federal Courthouse in downtown Chicago."

Johnson is so nonchalant about the issue.
  • Post #51 - April 9th, 2008, 12:41 pm
    Post #51 - April 9th, 2008, 12:41 pm Post #51 - April 9th, 2008, 12:41 pm
    ta1064 wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

Adjectives that came to my mind included duplicitous, disingenuous, and totally full of crap.

I think C2 makes a good point, though, about the rampant name-stealing that seems to take place in Chicago (I believe she may be referring specifically to Baba's, Bubba's, Buba's, etc.).
  • Post #52 - April 9th, 2008, 12:46 pm
    Post #52 - April 9th, 2008, 12:46 pm Post #52 - April 9th, 2008, 12:46 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Adjectives that came to my mind included duplicitous, disingenuous, and totally full of crap.

I think C2 makes a good point, though, about the rampant name-stealing that seems to take place in Chicago (I believe she may be referring specifically to Baba's, Bubba's, Buba's, etc.).

There are all the JJ's. Rene G gave great examples simply in the bean pie producers business names with very similar names. In NW Indiana, there are a string of Lincoln Submarines of various pedigrees and owners. Just last summer in the Lawndale neighborhood, there were many shaved ice cones offered.

I just keep thinking of the old Timex commercials: "Often imitated but never duplicated."

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #53 - April 9th, 2008, 12:49 pm
    Post #53 - April 9th, 2008, 12:49 pm Post #53 - April 9th, 2008, 12:49 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    ta1064 wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

Adjectives that came to my mind included duplicitous, disingenuous, and totally full of crap.

The former Rosscoe's can no longer capitalize on Roscoe's brand. So how will the new Chicago's Home of Chicken & Waffles establish its own brand identity? There are also some serious service issues.
  • Post #54 - April 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm
    Post #54 - April 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm Post #54 - April 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    ta1064 wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

It's not only Chicago. Look only to Ray's Pizza in New York if you need proof.
  • Post #55 - April 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm
    Post #55 - April 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm Post #55 - April 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm
    When Chicago's Rosscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles opened, about 800 people showed up at Johnson's 80-seat restaurant, he estimated. Many waited two hours or more for a table.

Wonder how long will the line be if and when the real Roscoe's opens in 2009?
  • Post #56 - April 9th, 2008, 12:55 pm
    Post #56 - April 9th, 2008, 12:55 pm Post #56 - April 9th, 2008, 12:55 pm
    The former Rosscoe's can no longer capitalize on Roscoe's brand. So how will the new Chicago's Home of Chicken & Waffles establish its own brand identity? There are also some serious service issues.

The old fashioned way: hard work, good food product, good public service and decent value ... one step at a time. Every new business has to build a customer base. If you want someone to provide brand identity, menu and name recognition in one neat package, then you acquire a franchise.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #57 - April 9th, 2008, 12:57 pm
    Post #57 - April 9th, 2008, 12:57 pm Post #57 - April 9th, 2008, 12:57 pm
    YourPalWill wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:
    ta1064 wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

It's not only Chicago. Look only to Ray's Pizza in New York if you need proof.

Oh, I'm sure it happens elsewhere and all the time, sometimes overtly, sometimes subtly. I remember in the late 60's, there was a McDonald's competitor called Sandy's that featured a Scottish motif, a similar pricing structure, etc.
  • Post #58 - April 9th, 2008, 1:20 pm
    Post #58 - April 9th, 2008, 1:20 pm Post #58 - April 9th, 2008, 1:20 pm
    Wasn't this situation addressed in the movie "Coming to America"?
    I'm not Angry, I'm hungry.
  • Post #59 - April 9th, 2008, 1:23 pm
    Post #59 - April 9th, 2008, 1:23 pm Post #59 - April 9th, 2008, 1:23 pm
    AngrySarah wrote:Wasn't this situation addressed in the movie "Coming to America"?

Ha, yes, the script that Eddie Murphy allegedly stole from Art Buchwald (don't remember how that suit was resolved).
  • Post #60 - April 9th, 2008, 1:58 pm
    Post #60 - April 9th, 2008, 1:58 pm Post #60 - April 9th, 2008, 1:58 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I think C2 makes a good point, though, about the rampant name-stealing that seems to take place in Chicago (I believe she may be referring specifically to Baba's, Bubba's, Buba's, etc.).

I happened to run across other yesterday in Matteson. Baby's steak and lemonade.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more