LTH Home

The Essentials: Ed's Potsticker House

The Essentials: Ed's Potsticker House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Essentials: Ed's Potsticker House

- July 22nd, 2004, 8:58 am
    - July 22nd, 2004, 8:58 am Post #1 - July 22nd, 2004, 8:58 am
    eatchicago wrote: Particularly because you may very likely burn your mouth.

EatChicago,

Phoenix Dumpling House's soup dumplings are served, in my experience, much hotter than most. The first time I had soup dumpling at Phoenix I, as is my preferred method, placed one on a soup spoon, added a bit of chili oil, red vinegar and ginger and popped the thing into my mouth.

Wow! :shock: :shock: Hot, Hot Hot. Delicious, but hot.

Ed's are not served at the same molten lava temperature, but do have a small problem that Phoenix soup dumplings do not have, they are harder to get from the steamer without bursting.

At Phoenix Dumpling House the soup dumplings rest on a layer of cabbage, making them easy to remove, at Ed's the are directly on the steamer and have a tendency to stick. My suggestion at Ed's is to place a spoon directly next to the soup dumpling and roll, gently, into the spoon with your chopsticks. This way the soup dumpling is less likely to break.

I have tried various methods of eating soup dumplings, including taking a small bite from the top, sucking out the liquid, and then eating the dumpling. My preferred method is to just pop the whole thing, but then again some have said I have a big mouth. :)

As an interesting aside, during a conversation with the somewhat grumpy, but loveable (wonder if she ever worked in a Jewish deli) manager of Phoenix Dumpling she asked, in a mostly rhetorical way, why Americans (yes I know there are many types of Americans, but she that's not what she meant) never eat the cabbage lining the steamer.

Since she posed the question I have made it a point to always eat the cabbage, which is quite tasty.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more