LTH Home

The Essentials: Ed's Potsticker House

The Essentials: Ed's Potsticker House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - June 26th, 2013, 3:21 pm
    Post #121 - June 26th, 2013, 3:21 pm Post #121 - June 26th, 2013, 3:21 pm
    So funny--I thought it wasn't cuminy enough :) And I love my lamb fat but this had too much fat to meat ratio for me to thoroughly enjoy it.

I am having such mixed feelings about this dinner. I was a first-timer at Ed's. I was only recently at Homestyle Taste and that was my very first foray into Northern Chinese I think. I'm not sure if it was an ordering issue or that I'm just not an Ed's fan but the dinner didn't wow me. While I certainly enjoyed the company and thought the food wasn't offensive in any way, Ed's fits into that category of places to which I'm "not rushing back" and, for that reason, I have a hard time saying it screams GNR to me.

Too many of the dishes were bland, unexciting (either in type or preparation) and monotonous. The sweet sauces were all very similar. The savory sauces were all very similar. The only dishes we ordered that were in any way unique were the smoked pork pancake (GREAT filling, pancake a bit doughy and heavy, as were all of the dough based items) and the mung bean noodle salad (presented like an Asian cobb salad--I took some before the server had a chance to mix it all up, which was good because once she did that, it tasted like a cold version of everything else--pre-mix, it had a nice bite of some kind of horseradish mayo on top that made it really interesting and the veggies were more distinct and crunchier). I also enjoyed the celery and dried tofu salad and the noodle dish but neither would make a greatest hits list for me.

There is a good chance that Onur is right--this is cold weather food that just didn't entice on a hot, muggy summer day. But I can't say that I'm dying to go back and try to better navigate my way through the menu, as I certainly am for Homestyle Taste.

Still enjoyed hanging with everyone (Lee, I hope your mom was ok the next day--I felt bad that we subjected her to an LTH ordering frenzy :) ) and thanks to turkob for organizing!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #122 - June 26th, 2013, 5:03 pm
    Post #122 - June 26th, 2013, 5:03 pm Post #122 - June 26th, 2013, 5:03 pm
    My mom was fine, thanks for asking :)

It was good, but I'm not sure I'd rush back either.

I think I was overwhelmed because we had SOOOO much food and I wanted to taste it all.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #123 - June 26th, 2013, 5:40 pm
    Post #123 - June 26th, 2013, 5:40 pm Post #123 - June 26th, 2013, 5:40 pm
    Funny, I love Northern Chinese, am a semi-regular at Lao Bejing, have a history with Katy's, even trekked out to the Old Mandarin Islamic place in outer BFE last time I was in SF, but I found myself a 3 time loser at Ed's long, long ago and have not been back. Then I saw this thread and was ready to go, then I saw your post. So you are saying I shouldn't go? :wink:
  • Post #124 - June 26th, 2013, 6:25 pm
    Post #124 - June 26th, 2013, 6:25 pm Post #124 - June 26th, 2013, 6:25 pm
    JeffB wrote:Funny, I love Northern Chinese, am a semi-regular at Lao Bejing, have a history with Katy's, even trekked out to the Old Mandarin Islamic place in outer BFE last time I was in SF, but I found myself a 3 time loser at Ed's long, long ago and have not been back. Then I saw this thread and was ready to go, then I saw your post. So you are saying I shouldn't go? :wink:

Oh...the pressure :)

Of the other spots you mention, I've only been to Katy's (once) and, as previously mentioned, I visited Homestyle Taste recently. I hope to go back to both very soon because they were wonderful. Everything was fresh, original and delicious. I can't say the same for Ed's. But again, based on one visit, I feel a bit guilty telling anyone to do or not do something.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #125 - June 26th, 2013, 9:26 pm
    Post #125 - June 26th, 2013, 9:26 pm Post #125 - June 26th, 2013, 9:26 pm
    I think it's more apt to compare Ed's to Lao Beijing rather than Northern City or Homestyle Taste. Ed's has a broad menu and features many dishes from Beijing in addition to Dongbei (and also from Shanghai seeing as we ordered quite a few on Sunday), whereas the other two focus mostly on Dongbei. I'm not an expert and I recognize that there is a lot of overlap, but other than the lamb with cumin there was no overlap between my single meal at Homestyle Taste and my many meals at Ed's. I'd be interested to try a more directed menu at Ed's to see how they stack up on the more Dongbei style dishes, but as I said, I'd prefer to wait for the winter since the food can be pretty heavy.

Much like Lao Beijing, Ed's has a menu that's meant to cater to a wide range of tastes. I prefer Ed's particularly for their sweet and sour preparations and their myriad dumpling options, though I do enjoy both restaurants. I'd say it's worth a visit if you're craving Northern Chinese. Though I have to agree with Jen that I'm more excited to return to Homestyle Taste.
  • Post #126 - June 27th, 2013, 11:53 pm
    Post #126 - June 27th, 2013, 11:53 pm Post #126 - June 27th, 2013, 11:53 pm
    Hi,

When LTHforum was merely a few weeks old, I wrote this post on Mung Bean Noodle Salad for a hot summer night, which was enjoyed at Ed's and several other places.

This is definitely the dish to try when it is too hot. I have long wanted to do it again, because never before did food slip down my throat so fast and easily. It was a very unique sensation.

If anyone chooses to reply on that thread with their experience, it will be the first time.

Regards.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #127 - October 1st, 2014, 11:18 am
    Post #127 - October 1st, 2014, 11:18 am Post #127 - October 1st, 2014, 11:18 am
    Why did Ed's lose their GNR status?
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #128 - November 9th, 2014, 10:17 am
    Post #128 - November 9th, 2014, 10:17 am Post #128 - November 9th, 2014, 10:17 am
    Hi,

I stopped at Ed' Potsticker House yesterday after Dorie Greenspan's talk. After Ed's name was dropped, I was under the impression it had new ownership.

There was a tall woman with a short skirt who seemed to look like Ran. I wasn't really sure it was her or another tall Chinese woman from northern China. I finally gathered the nerve to inquire if she was Ran. It was, though she looked better and more youthful than my last encounter.

We ate through two orders each of soup dumplings and those long cigar potstickers. An order of scallion pancakes with smoked pork and eggplant with garlic sauce. Soothing savory food was a nice finish after a hectic morning.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more