LTH Home

Dan Ryan Alternative: Ashland Avenue

Dan Ryan Alternative: Ashland Avenue
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Dan Ryan Alternative: Ashland Avenue

Post #1 - March 30th, 2006, 9:22 pm
    Post #1 - March 30th, 2006, 9:22 pm Post #1 - March 30th, 2006, 9:22 pm
    For those who use the Dan Ryan, my sympathies for the next three years. You have been encouraged to try new routes, which will allow LTHforum friends to use their commuting time as an opportunity to explore new food venues.

To begin this new series of data points, I have combed through our archives for places already identified on Ashland Avenue:

BBQ:

YourPalWill wrote:3. Ribs Unlimited on 79th near Ashland makes excellent tips and slabs. The sauce has a hint of mustard which is a real positive for this Carolina boy. It is one of my favorites in the area.

Caribbean:

Paul Mollica wrote:I also tried JR's, a carry-out counter place at Ashland and 79th that has also had its share of mentions. I found the food, unfortunately, more filling than satisfying on a first visit: a lifeless curry goat and mounds of rice and beans, not a bargain at $10. Perhaps the jerk dishes are better; incidently, they don?t have jerk pork on the menu, but they do serve BBQ ribs and tips.

JR's Caribbean Hut
    7959 S. Ashland
    Chicago, IL

Zim noted:

Tropic Island Jerk Chicken Restaurant
    419 E 79th St (and Ashland)
    773-224-7766

Chicken:

GWiv suggested:
    Harold's Chicken 3B
    8316 S Ashland
    Chicago, IL

Mexican:

Jonah praised:
    Bombon Cafe
    18 South Ashland.
    312-733-8717

chgoblknazn wrote:One of my favorite local spots is La Condessa on Blue Island and Ashland. It's not fancy, but it's certainly authentic and very well priced. I've never had a bad experience there. Great service, friendly owners and good eats.

La Condesa
    2230 S. Ashland Ave. (just south of Cermak)
    773-376-0078
    7 am to midnight daily

ReneG noted:

Las Palmas
    (was Restaurante Oaxaca)
    4612 S Ashland Av
    Chicago
    773-247-4682

GWiv reported on:
    Sabas Vega Meat Market
    1808 S Ashland Ave
    Chicago, IL

Soulfood:

Paul Mollica noted:
    Mississippi: Mrs. Johnson's Soul Food., Ashland and 83d

Tamales:

strawberrycupcake wrote:The closest I've gotten to good tamales in a restaurant is at La Cebolita, on Ashland. It's really more of a tiny neighborhood diner. They sell theirs at just under 60cents each, or a dozen for $7.

La Celbolita
    1723 S Ashland Ave
    Chicago, 60608
    (312) 492-8443

Shopping:

Filbert's Old Time Root Beer
    (773) 847-1520
    3430 S Ashland Ave
    Chicago, IL 60608

Along this route there are likely other finds to note. Maybe tamale stands will erupt to feed those sitting in traffic. Perhaps there are cross streets with lots of venues like 75th or 79th Streets, which can be suggested for further exploration.

Perhaps this activity will make lemonade of a lemon situation.

Happy Hunting!
    Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - March 31st, 2006, 5:48 am
    Post #2 - March 31st, 2006, 5:48 am Post #2 - March 31st, 2006, 5:48 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Tropic Island Jerk Chicken Restaurant
    773-224-7766

Unfortunately, Tropic Island is no more at this location. (The original is still there further East at 79th & Jeffery). This location is now a place called Slabs, which seems to be a rib shack with a few tables. They do have a Jamaican section on their menu, though. I have not tried it yet.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - March 31st, 2006, 9:52 am
    Post #3 - March 31st, 2006, 9:52 am Post #3 - March 31st, 2006, 9:52 am
    JR's has moved to S. Indiana / 36th St or so...

thanks for the "La Condesa" reminder . It's a skip & a hop away from my place... must hit it up one of these days...

Dan Ryan Express... hopefully it won't turn out like the Big Dig... sympathies to all the southsiders indeed..,
  • Post #4 - March 31st, 2006, 10:05 am
    Post #4 - March 31st, 2006, 10:05 am Post #4 - March 31st, 2006, 10:05 am
    Yes, Cathy, this is a wonderful idea for a thread!

Many of the Pilsen favorites are within a block of Ashland on 18th Street.

Further down Ashland there is a carnitas place which I've never been to, but which Evil Ronnie posted on on Chowhound years ago:

http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards ... 13647.html

Here's the info, taken from that CH post:

Kiki D's (Home of Carnitas)
    4117 South Ashland Ave
    773-254-3526
  • Post #5 - March 31st, 2006, 10:28 am
    Post #5 - March 31st, 2006, 10:28 am Post #5 - March 31st, 2006, 10:28 am
    In the same vicinity, might as well add Lem's (about a block east on 75th), Cafe Trinidad a few blocks further east, and Barbara Ann's on Cottage. And all of the other stuff around there...

Whoops, my point of reference was the Ryan, not Ashland as noted in the original post. Reverse my directions and start from Stony. Or ignore me.
  • Post #6 - March 31st, 2006, 10:54 am
    Post #6 - March 31st, 2006, 10:54 am Post #6 - March 31st, 2006, 10:54 am
    Neither Ashland or Stony, but:

Pearl's Place at 39th and S. Michigan is a pleasant stop-off, equidistant between LSD/King Drive and the DR. There's a parking lot right across the street from the entrance on 39th. Don't miss the peach cobbler (unless you're allergic to butter).
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #7 - April 1st, 2006, 4:42 am
    Post #7 - April 1st, 2006, 4:42 am Post #7 - April 1st, 2006, 4:42 am
    stevez wrote:
    773-224-7766

Unfortunately, Tropic Island is no more at this location. (The original is still there further East at 79th & Jeffery). This location is now a place called Slabs, which seems to be a rib shack with a few tables. They do have a Jamaican section on their menu, though. I have not tried it yet.

Huh. Are you sure about this, steve? I think the last time I went to Tropic
    Island was only about a month or so ago, and it was still there then.

The reason I ask is - I *think* I might have actually been to "The Slab"
    (I think it was called) , in the bad old days when Barbara Ann's was
    shut down. I seem to recall that place being pretty close to TI, but
    a few doors down IIRC? Or am I thinking of someplace entirely
    different, and TI has shut down its (for me) most convenient location
    only recently?

c8w
  • Post #8 - April 3rd, 2006, 9:18 am
    Post #8 - April 3rd, 2006, 9:18 am Post #8 - April 3rd, 2006, 9:18 am
    If your detour takes you to southbound Vincennes take a left at 115th st cross over the expressway and pull into "I-57 Ribs" Southern style and cooked on a grill. These ribs are the real deal.

I-57 Ribs
    1550 W 115th St
    Chicago
  • Post #9 - April 3rd, 2006, 9:43 am
    Post #9 - April 3rd, 2006, 9:43 am Post #9 - April 3rd, 2006, 9:43 am
    c8w wrote:
    stevez wrote:
    773-224-7766

Huh. Are you sure about this, steve? I think the last time I went to Tropic
    Island was only about a month or so ago, and it was still there then.

The reason I ask is - I *think* I might have actually been to "The Slab"
    (I think it was called) , in the bad old days when Barbara Ann's was
    shut down. I seem to recall that place being pretty close to TI, but
    a few doors down IIRC? Or am I thinking of someplace entirely
    different, and TI has shut down its (for me) most convenient location
    only recently?

c8w

I tried to go to TI at that address around 3 weeks ago. Slabs (or The Slab) was located at the address given above. Pdaane was with me and was actually the person who stuck his head in the door to see that it was indeed not TI (although, like I said, there was a Jamaican menu available). I could be wrong about this, so if someone closer to the area than I am wants to verify this, it might be worth a second look. The original location was mighty good though.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #10 - April 3rd, 2006, 11:21 am
    Post #10 - April 3rd, 2006, 11:21 am Post #10 - April 3rd, 2006, 11:21 am
    Tropical Island is listed at the 419 address in the yellow book

Slab's a block over

Here is Slab:
    Slab
    Address: 537 E 79th St, Chicago, IL 60619
    Phone: (773) 723-7522
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #11 - April 3rd, 2006, 6:08 pm
    Post #11 - April 3rd, 2006, 6:08 pm Post #11 - April 3rd, 2006, 6:08 pm
    Here are some comments on previous comments as well as a few new ones, roughly organized from north to south. It’s not meant to be at all exhaustive, there’s a lot more to “discover.”

Many of the Pilsen favorites are within a block of Ashland on 18th Street.

Yes, a detour on 18th will be well rewarded. Likewise Cermak but you’ll have to go a bit farther (west) from Ashland.

Kiki D's (Home of Carnitas)
    4117 South Ashland Ave

Kiki D’s big sign is gone but I think it’s still the same popular place. It looks like a fast food restaurant (which I suppose it is) but don’t let that stop you.

Mama Nena’s (1623 W 43rd) is a Chicago-style shrimp house with a Mexican twist. Not bad at all. Somewhere I have a write-up I’ll try to dig out.

Supermercado La Internacional (around 46th, west side) has an always-crowded taqueria in the back I’ve long wanted to try.

Las Palmas
    (was Restaurante Oaxaca)
    4612 S Ashland Av

Haven’t visited since Restaurante Oaxaca closed but this place now goes by the name Las Palmitas. Not sure if it has new owners.

A detour on 47th is very worthwhile. Between Ashland and Damen is the dense, vibrant Back of the Yards business district. Have a taco al pastor at Atotonilco, a bowl of carne en su jugo at Los Altos, a taco de ojo at El Arco, a taco de pescado (or al pastor) at Don Cuco, the parillada at La Cecina. Pick up some rye bread at Baltic Bakery (Hermitage). There’s a lot more to explore.

Tropic Island Jerk Chicken Restaurant

Unfortunately, Tropic Island is no more at this location. (The original is still there further East at 79th & Jeffery). This location is now a place called Slabs, which seems to be a rib shack with a few tables.

As others mentioned, Tropic Island is at 419 E 79th (near King, not Ashland) as well as 1922 E 79th. The Slab BBQ is at 537 E 79th. I’m pretty sure all three are currently open. The reason for the confusion is probably because Tropic Island used to be at 537 E 79th. It moved a block west to 419 around 2000. The Slab opened at 537 E 79th a year or two ago.

JR's has moved to S. Indiana / 36th St or so...

JR’s Caribbean Hut was originally at 7960 S Ashland, on the NW corner of 80th. It closed several years ago and reopened across the street at 7959 S Ashland, on the NE corner, where it still is. Another JR’s opened on S Indiana. I think, but am not sure, all three are/were related.

GWiv suggested:
    Harold's Chicken 3B
    8316 S Ashland

I hope I’m not putting words in his mouth but I don’t think Gary particularly recommended this Harold’s. It wasn’t terrible but wasn’t one of the better ones either (the chicken art is excellent though). Harold’s is well represented on S Ashland so the chicken-loving commuter will have plenty to choose from. Other HCSs are near 56th, 63rd, 68th, and 92nd.

Paul Mollica noted:
    Mississippi: Mrs. Johnson's Soul Food., Ashland and 83d

A good place. More to try: Vaughan’s (67th), Morning Glory (77th; I like the looks of this new one), Morrison’s (81st), Granny’s (85th).

If your detour takes you to southbound Vincennes take a left at 115th st cross over the expressway and pull into "I-57 Ribs" Southern style and cooked on a grill. These ribs are the real deal.

I-57 Barbecue is not bad but I’d suggest tips (and maybe links) instead of ribs. It looks like I-57 is getting ready to open a new place at 6514 S Western in the old Rib Inn location.

This new commute isn’t sounding so bad, is it?
  • Post #12 - October 21st, 2018, 9:34 am
    Post #12 - October 21st, 2018, 9:34 am Post #12 - October 21st, 2018, 9:34 am

Slab BBQ
    1918 E. 71st Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60649

(773) 966-5018
    http://www.slabbbq.com
    Hours
    Mon - Thurs from 11:00am - 9:00pm
    Fri - Sat from 11:00am - 11:00pm
    Sun from 11:00am - 7:00pm
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more