LTH Home

Taquerias: Lawrence & Montrose Aves [Project LTH]

Taquerias: Lawrence & Montrose Aves [Project LTH]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - March 4th, 2010, 10:28 am
    Post #31 - March 4th, 2010, 10:28 am Post #31 - March 4th, 2010, 10:28 am
    Eva Luna wrote:I'm so glad for this thread! Just moved to Albany Park, and am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options.

This thread is SIGNIFICANTLY out of date. The taqueria market in Albany Park changes almost yearly. Places that were once good get new owners and change their menus and cooks, other places upgrade, places close, etc.

One constant: La Fogata still sucks.
  • Post #32 - March 4th, 2010, 10:48 am
    Post #32 - March 4th, 2010, 10:48 am Post #32 - March 4th, 2010, 10:48 am
    I really like Santa Rita, especially their chilaquiles. I agree that some items can be inconsistent but I've never had a bad plate of chilaquiles verdes there. I keep a close eye on their al pastor cone. If I seem some nice char, I order something with al pastor meat. If they are very busy and the cone looks pretty shaved down, I pass (one of the many invaluable tips I learned on LTH). Recently I was there for breakfast/brunch and noted a nice crust on the cone meat so I had to get my breakfast chilaquiles al pastor (resulting in a raised eyebrow from the server but it was a good move). Hmm, what I wouldn't give to have an identical plate in my office right now (talk about raised eyebrows, though).

• Post #33 - March 4th, 2010, 10:59 am
    Post #33 - March 4th, 2010, 10:59 am Post #33 - March 4th, 2010, 10:59 am
    eatchicago wrote:
    Eva Luna wrote:I'm so glad for this thread! Just moved to Albany Park, and am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options.

This thread is SIGNIFICANTLY out of date. The taqueria market in Albany Park changes almost yearly. Places that were once good get new owners and change their menus and cooks, other places upgrade, places close, etc.

One constant: La Fogata still sucks.

Well, let the bump serve as a hint to all who care to update, then. I know some of the Middle Eastern places in the 'hood, but zilcho of the Mexican places (though pupuseria recs would also be appreciated, they are not nearly as numerous or overwhleming).
  • Post #34 - March 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm
    Post #34 - March 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm Post #34 - March 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm
    eatchicago wrote:This thread is SIGNIFICANTLY out of date. The taqueria market in Albany Park changes almost yearly....

Indeed, and in recent times I believe it has changed substantially for the better. This area used to be filled with a whole lot of unexceptional fare that would do in a pinch, but not a lot that ever got me excited. One trend is that pressure has increased to compete with new places that have signs like this:

Don't Know The Name of This New Taqueria:

As I strolled through the neighborhood, I saw sign after sign with places highlighting hand-made masa products. They are becoming the rule rather than the rare exception. I find that handmade tortillas, huaraches, sopes, etc. can make all the difference in a meal that otherwise causes indifference, so this is a most welcome development.

I'm glad I resurrected the old thread, and agree with Eva Luna's sentiment: let's bring it up to date with recent experiences. Another benefit of resurrecting it is that a lurker decided to PM me about San Matias - his favorite local place. So I gave it a try today.

The pastor spit seemed to be going strong, so that's what I zeroed in on:

Pastor Spit at San Matias:

Tacos al Pastor at San Matias:

These were outstanding. Juicy, flavorful and crisp, served on fresh and good tortillas. The radish and cucumber, an owner told me, are hallmarks of food served in the city of San Matias. He says he plans to offer food that distinguishes itself from competitors because it stays true to the style of the region.

San Matias is a clean-as-a-whistle spot with bright artwork, friendly guys running it, and interesting menu items in addition to the excellent pastor. Cochinita was the special today, and I hope it returns another time I'm in the restaurant.

San Matias
    3005 W. Lawrence Ave
    (773) 467-7533
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #35 - March 5th, 2010, 1:58 pm
    Post #35 - March 5th, 2010, 1:58 pm Post #35 - March 5th, 2010, 1:58 pm
    NB: little to no English spoken, at least when I was there

This has been a huge problem for me in the 4 times I have tried ordering pick up from here. They have NEVER given me what I've ordered, and have actually gotten frustrated and hung up on me before when I'm trying to tell them my order. They also charged me $13 for the smallest portion of ceviche I've ever had the displeasure of ordering.
    I have vowed not to even bother with them anymore. What's the use when places like this are a dime a dozen in my neighborhood. :?
    Models Eat too!!!
    www.bellaventresca.com
  • Post #36 - March 5th, 2010, 3:46 pm
    Post #36 - March 5th, 2010, 3:46 pm Post #36 - March 5th, 2010, 3:46 pm
    bella54330 wrote: ...places like this are a dime a dozen in my neighborhood. :?

I assume you're talking about Los Faroles, in which case... I wish.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #37 - March 5th, 2010, 4:05 pm
    Post #37 - March 5th, 2010, 4:05 pm Post #37 - March 5th, 2010, 4:05 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    I'm glad I resurrected the old thread, and agree with Eva Luna's sentiment: let's bring it up to date with recent experiences. Another benefit of resurrecting it is that a lurker decided to PM me about San Matias - his favorite local place. So I gave it a try today.

The pastor spit seemed to be going strong, so that's what I zeroed in on:

When I went to San Matias for a snack today at 2:30, the pastor spit was devoid of a trompo, so instead I tried one taco carne asada and one of the special cochanita. The cochanita was served with a squeeze bottle of orange hued habanaro salsa that packed a nice bit of heat, but was well balanced and flavorful. This was one of the best tacos I've had in a while. I hope the cochanita stays on special for a while. The carne asada was nothing out out of the ordinary, but wasn't bad by any means. I hope to get back for the daily double of al pastor and cochanita soon.

Thanks Kenny and lurker for bringing this place to my attention.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #38 - March 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm
    Post #38 - March 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm Post #38 - March 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm
    Eva Luna wrote:Well, let the bump serve as a hint to all who care to update, then. I know some of the Middle Eastern places in the 'hood, but zilcho of the Mexican places (though pupuseria recs would also be appreciated, they are not nearly as numerous or overwhleming).

The data is nearing a year old, but I thought that Pupuseria Cuscatleco was excellent when I tried some offings during the Kedzie Kaper.

Pupuseria Cuscatleco
    3125 West Lawrence Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60625-4239
    (773) 539-0977
  • Post #39 - March 5th, 2010, 8:23 pm
    Post #39 - March 5th, 2010, 8:23 pm Post #39 - March 5th, 2010, 8:23 pm
    Pupuseria Cuscatleco is excellent, and they're incredibly nice. I included them here.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #40 - March 6th, 2010, 7:10 pm
    Post #40 - March 6th, 2010, 7:10 pm Post #40 - March 6th, 2010, 7:10 pm
    Kennyz wrote:It's not exactly a taqueria, but Los Faroles should take its place at the top of the neighborhood's Mexican eateries.

On a whim after reading and seeing your post I took the missus here last night.

Underwhelming is all I can say. Being that it was a Friday during Lent we didn't order any meat dishes. The wife had shrimp "mexicana" and I had the fish chimichanga.

In general I have a hurdle. If we can make something at home that tastes about the same as something I order when at a restaurant I'm underwhelmed.

We're looking for sit down Mexican places in the area that have something exceptional about them.
  • Post #41 - March 6th, 2010, 10:34 pm
    Post #41 - March 6th, 2010, 10:34 pm Post #41 - March 6th, 2010, 10:34 pm
    kenji wrote:In general I have a hurdle. If we can make something at home that tastes about the same as something I order when at a restaurant I'm underwhelmed.

We're looking for sit down Mexican places in the area that have something exceptional about them.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't have the right equipment or experience to make good tortillas at home, and I wish I could have the recipe for Los Faroles's beans, because they're more interesting and flavorful than Mexican beans I've had elsewhere.

Perhaps our expectations are just different. Give me good tortillas, lengua that's tender and flavorful from braising all day, herbaceous and rich beans, and a sub 10 dollar price tag, and I'm likely to be very happy with the experience.

kenji wrote:I had the fish chimichanga.

What is that, exactly? A flour tortilla rolled up burrito style with fish, then deep fried?

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #42 - March 7th, 2010, 11:03 am
    Post #42 - March 7th, 2010, 11:03 am Post #42 - March 7th, 2010, 11:03 am
    The beans were a 7 on a 1-10 scale, I'll give them that.

The fish chimichanga was a large flour tortilla with their battered fried mojarra, cabbage, and some queso deep fried. Pretty yummy.

Finding a place that makes sub 10 buck entrees with fish is out of the ordinary.
  • Post #43 - March 7th, 2010, 7:15 pm
    Post #43 - March 7th, 2010, 7:15 pm Post #43 - March 7th, 2010, 7:15 pm
    kenji wrote:The beans were a 7 on a 1-10 scale, I'll give them that.

The fish chimichanga was a large flour tortilla with their battered fried mojarra, cabbage, and some queso deep fried. Pretty yummy.

Finding a place that makes sub 10 buck entrees with fish is out of the ordinary.

So you had a "pretty yummy" chimichanga, better-than-most beans, and you were happy with the price at this humble and friendly little neighborhood spot. Yet you describe the experience as underwhelming. Man, I thought I was tough :wink:

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #44 - March 8th, 2010, 5:10 pm
    Post #44 - March 8th, 2010, 5:10 pm Post #44 - March 8th, 2010, 5:10 pm
    Ha! I never thought about it that way. Maybe I'm jaded.

What I'd like to find up here is the Nuevo Leon of the North and NW side of town!
  • Post #45 - March 9th, 2010, 9:41 am
    Post #45 - March 9th, 2010, 9:41 am Post #45 - March 9th, 2010, 9:41 am
    Tried La Oaxaquena?
  • Post #46 - March 9th, 2010, 9:46 am
    Post #46 - March 9th, 2010, 9:46 am Post #46 - March 9th, 2010, 9:46 am
    Yeah, I don't know exactly what the Nuevo Leon of the north side means, but La Oaxaquena would surely be a start. I wish they were the Nuevo Leon in the sense of having lines running out the door...
  • Post #47 - March 9th, 2010, 10:00 am
    Post #47 - March 9th, 2010, 10:00 am Post #47 - March 9th, 2010, 10:00 am
    JeffB wrote:Tried La Oaxaquena?

No I haven't been there but I will be now!
  • Post #48 - March 9th, 2010, 1:42 pm
    Post #48 - March 9th, 2010, 1:42 pm Post #48 - March 9th, 2010, 1:42 pm
    Kennyz wrote:San Matias is a clean-as-a-whistle spot with bright artwork, friendly guys running it, and interesting menu items in addition to the excellent pastor. Cochinita was the special today, and I hope it returns another time I'm in the restaurant.

San Matias
    3005 W. Lawrence Ave
    (773) 467-7533

I gave San Matias a try today and am really glad that I did. I had a taco al pastor and a taco with chorizo. Both were really excellent - nice and crispy edges on the meat, not a lot of grease in the chorizo. (A sign said that they had cochinita, but unfortunately they didn't have any available today.) Can't wait to return!
  • Post #49 - March 19th, 2010, 4:54 pm
    Post #49 - March 19th, 2010, 4:54 pm Post #49 - March 19th, 2010, 4:54 pm
    Third time was the charm.

First up Kenny Z's unknown Taqueria then a few doors east to Cafe Grand Restaurant a mildly formidable Bosnian joint with windows of one way glass and a fellow who surprisedly said "kitchen is not open yet" when asked if they served food. Third try, the Charm, Taqueria San Matias provided a tasty low cost lunch for four now quite hungry Lawrence Ave travelers.

Lunch started out rocky with blah refried beans as dip for just past toasty chips. A little lard love for the beans and salt and a minute less in the fryer would have done wonders for the house made chips and dip. Matters took an uptick with the arrival of two squeeze bottle salsas, a SMR* green and spicy hot full flavored orange tinted habanero which did wonders for the refried bean dip.

Chips and refried bean dip

Three tacos w/rice and beans and watery horchata with an overdoes of cinnamon for lunch. SMR lengua, small cubes lacking the elemental tender rich lusciousness of the best versions, suadero with seemed for all purposes to be exactly the same as the carne asada, and top taco by a landslide cochinita.

Kenny Z had the same basic taco lineup, I did not try Dan S's Camarones a la Mexicana, but a taste of Mike G's Sopes with chorizo has me planning, along with the cochinita, a return visit.

Gordita w/carne asada, Sopes w/Chorizo

Camarones a la Mexicana

Taqueria San Matias absolutely rates a return visit, inexpensive, spotless, terrific cochinita, I want to try the al pastor when the trompo is running and I'm betting their chorizo is a killer add-in for Chilaquiles.

Thanks Kenny for brining San Matias to the boards attention, nice to have another solid Lawrence/Montrose Mexican option.

Enjoy,
    Gary

*Standard Mexican Restaurant
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #50 - March 19th, 2010, 5:47 pm
    Post #50 - March 19th, 2010, 5:47 pm Post #50 - March 19th, 2010, 5:47 pm

I was starting to feel for Kennyz, our visit to San Matias had all the signs of the second-visit-with-expectant-friends-that-fails-to-live-up-to-the-first-solo-meal. Service seemed only distantly interested in us, the pastor spit was turned off ("oh yeah, we run it all the time," we were told... except RIGHT NOW), a furtive, unconvincing "yes" came in response to the question whether sopes and gorditas were made by hand.

Then the food came and pleasantly surprised us all. Not city-class, perhaps, but certainly at least pick-this-one-over-the-five-closest-in-any-direction good, which makes it the only other one in this thread so far, besides Taqueria San Juanito, that I'd make any effort to return to. Both sope and gordita were freshly made and arrived steaming hot. Steak was decent, but chorizo, the tender tongue, and the spicy cochinita were better yet, and the chorizo, for which I had no great expectations at all, was really nice with a shot of the chipotle mayo, a pleasant and unexpected addition on the plate. And as for not caring, we soon saw that the fellow in charge had actually run out and bought bottled water and fresh limes just for us (well, and the customers who would follow us) after we placed our order.

I mentioned at lunch another place I checked out recently in the area, actually on Montrose. The sign seemed to hold out some hope that there might actually be charcoal-grilled chicken in the area (closer than Taqueria Ricardo):

Silly me for believing the word "Charcoal" in foot-tall letters. The chicken was rotisserie cooked, most likely, certainly no closer to a flame than the Luckies in the chef's pocket. It wasn't bad, but there was nothing exceptional about it in a neighborhood where, as noted on other occasions, chicken places are sprouting like purslane, and the interior managed the odd feat of seeming both nightclubbishly dark at 6 pm and stranger's-living-room awkward. There were no other customers the entire time we were there, though there seemed to be a raft of family members watching TV in a back room. The real business here seems to be catering, and the restaurant feels like it.

Sabroso Grill
    3816 W. Montrose
    Tel: (773) 961-8531
    http://www.sabrosocatering.com
  • Post #51 - March 20th, 2010, 5:42 am
    Post #51 - March 20th, 2010, 5:42 am Post #51 - March 20th, 2010, 5:42 am
    Thanks to Gary, Mike and Dan S. for joining me. I was disappointed that there was no pastor trompo, but pleased that lunch was tasty anyway.

G Wiv wrote:Lunch started out rocky with blah refried beans as dip

For better bean dip, definitely check out Los Faroles located down the street, and posted about above.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #52 - March 21st, 2010, 9:16 am
    Post #52 - March 21st, 2010, 9:16 am Post #52 - March 21st, 2010, 9:16 am
    Second time at Los Faroles - this time for dinner instead of lunch - was not as good. Stale tortillas, overcooked liver, not as much flavor in the beans. Staff spoke perfect English this time, and the guacamole was good.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #53 - April 2nd, 2010, 3:21 pm
    Post #53 - April 2nd, 2010, 3:21 pm Post #53 - April 2nd, 2010, 3:21 pm
    From earlier in this thread:
    First up Kenny Z's unknown Taqueria then a few doors east to Cafe Grand Restaurant a mildly formidable Bosnian joint with windows of one way glass and a fellow who surprisedly said "kitchen is not open yet" when asked if they served food. Third try, the Charm, Taqueria San Matias provided a tasty low cost lunch for four now quite hungry Lawrence Ave travelers.

The unknown taqueria at 2739 W. Lawrence seems unlikely to open. An eviction notice granted March 23 is posted in the door with enforcement delayed to March 30.

This storefront should probably be added to the locations of the damned unless Lawrence Live Poultry next door closes. That place is rather smelly in the summer and much messier than Aden Live Poultry a few doors east.
  • Post #54 - April 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am
    Post #54 - April 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am Post #54 - April 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am
    kenji wrote:Ha! I never thought about it that way. Maybe I'm jaded.

What I'd like to find up here is the Nuevo Leon of the North and NW side of town!

I've never had a good experience at Nuevo Leon in the three visits I've made there. Sub par food, abysmal service. I don't understand all the accolades that place gets. I'd rather go to El Presidente. And they're not great at all, although my wife loves the menudo.
    trpt2345
  • Post #55 - April 4th, 2010, 1:21 am
    Post #55 - April 4th, 2010, 1:21 am Post #55 - April 4th, 2010, 1:21 am
    G Wiv wrote:Third time was the charm.

First up Kenny Z's unknown Taqueria then a few doors east to Cafe Grand Restaurant a mildly formidable Bosnian joint with windows of one way glass and a fellow who surprisedly said "kitchen is not open yet" when asked if they served food.

Formidable is just a hell of a word for it. I like that.

I don't think Cafe Grand wants nobody nobody sent. I've pondered what guise I'd use to crack security there, but learning Serbo-Croatian with a Bosnian accent has always seemed like the hurdle I couldn't jump. I think short of that, you'd have had to have played soccer with somebody's kid. And the kid would have to be with you at the time you entered. "kitchen is not open yet". I'm sure. Had you pressed, I think you might have found "kitchen is not ever open yet".

My reason for mulling a trojan attack there -- I think there's every chance the lost pizza recipe from Satko's Quattro Stagione Pizza is encoded in the pattern of nails used by the carpenter who built the tables and shelving at Cafe Grand. And one day, I'll find it.
  • Post #56 - April 4th, 2010, 7:59 pm
    Post #56 - April 4th, 2010, 7:59 pm Post #56 - April 4th, 2010, 7:59 pm
    The door was wide open when I walked past Cafe Grand Restaurant Friday afternoon, so I could look in without stepping in. A video poker machine was clearly visible. I wonder to what extent their business is food. The Chicago food inspection site does not have a listing for their address, which may signify nothing as the updating for this site is abysmal. There is a listing for the recently opened Rendezvous Bistro, however. Cafe Grand does have an Illinois liquor license: 10-1A-91287.

Grand Cafe
    2705 w.lawrence ave
    Chicago, IL, 60625

Cafe Grand Restaurant Facebook Wall
  • Post #57 - May 12th, 2010, 2:49 pm
    Post #57 - May 12th, 2010, 2:49 pm Post #57 - May 12th, 2010, 2:49 pm
    Torta vs. Torta - Round 1

Taquerias Uptown (1708 W. Lawrence) v. El Taco Rico (1728 W. Lawrence)

Event - Torta de Lengua

I wonder who got to this block first. It hardly seems like this block of Lawrence needs two Taquerias, and just a block from Garcia's #2. Taquerias Uptown seems likely to be a transplant, considering that most would not have called this Uptown, at least in the last decade. It thinks of itself as Ravenswood.

El Taco Rico's tongue torta was definitely rico. Accounting for the fact I asked them to go light on sour cream, there was still more sour cream than there was on the tongue torta from T.Uptown. However, T.Uptown, had quite a bit more meat, chopped in smaller pieces and well grilled. The T.Rico bun was pretty big, compared to the thin bun at T.Uptown, both nicely toasted. Salsas were similar enough that I can't remember the difference. The accompaniments at either would have frighted a North Sea ship captain - scattered bits of iceberg! Prices comparable, and either make a fine low-budget lunch. There's TV at T.Rico -- determine for yourself whether that's a feature or a bug.

JUDGE'S DECISION - Taquerias Uptown wins, because they give you more tongue!
  • Post #58 - May 12th, 2010, 8:27 pm
    Post #58 - May 12th, 2010, 8:27 pm Post #58 - May 12th, 2010, 8:27 pm
    The discussion on this topic isn't complete without a mention of Taqueria el Asadero on Montrose. Steak is grilled, awesome tacos de barbacoa, burritos, etc. Our super cheap go to place (Mrs. Trpt is from Districto Federal, she loves it).

2213 W Montrose Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 583-5563
    trpt2345
  • Post #59 - September 24th, 2010, 3:56 pm
    Post #59 - September 24th, 2010, 3:56 pm Post #59 - September 24th, 2010, 3:56 pm
    Handmade masa-based goodies abound in this 'hood now, which is an exciting development. I tried 2 new-to-me places that specialize in such things, and I zeroed in on the huaraches. The wildly different preparations of the same dish made the comparison interesting.

Huarache de chorizo from El Corralito:

While definitely handmade, the huarache itself was just OK. The masa lacked much earthy, corn-y flavor and the griddle must not have been hot enough to produce any crispness on the outside. Thankfully, the chorizo at El Corralito is excellent, with a coarse grind, pleasantly dry texture and good flavor. The cheese and other toppings all tasted fresh.

Huarache de chorizo from HUARACHES restaurant:

I was happy when I saw the yellower tint of this huarache, as it reminded me of the earthy, flavorful product at Doña Chio. Unfortunately, that's where the comparison ended. In a twist I'd never seen before, the cook here actually stuffs the huaraches with beans instead of using a more common bean smear on top. I watched her take a ball of masa, top it with beans, then fold it over itself before pressing it flat and griddling it. While interesting, this method produced a huarache that lacked the chew I enjoy in my favorite versions. The bigger problem was that this whole thing was a mess. The chorizo was a low quality, finely-ground salt bomb with little flavor, and the huarache itself cooked in a lagoon of not-hot-enough grease that drained off only when it reached my plate and mouth.

Though neither of these huaraches compared favorably to the best in our city, and one was pretty bad, I'm still awfully happy to have so many places making their own in the neighborhood. An interesting side note: the brother-in-law of El Corralito's owner is a line cook at some Chinese restaurant in Skokie, and on Tuesdays he takes over El Corralito's kitchen, cooking a menu of his personal takes on Chinese food. I hope to try that soon.

El Corralito
    3821 W Lawrence Ave
    (773) 866-1411

HUARACHES Restaurant
    3021 W Lawrence Ave
    773) 539-5902

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #60 - November 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm
    Post #60 - November 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm Post #60 - November 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm
    I gather from other posts that there have been or maybe still are other locations of Taqueria Uptown, but I was please to see that the one at which I lunched today had a pastor trompo going strong. Tortillas were fresh and meat was delicious, if perhaps slightly more mildly seasoned than I prefer. A solid Lawrence Ave taqueria for days when I find myself a bit east of the usual suspects.

As a bonus, the seemingly nameless Balkan bakery in a strip mall across the street (south side of Lawrence) has really good, yeasty and not-too-sweet donuts, along with bagels(?!?) that they claim are boil-and-baked onsite daily. Roasted lamb by the pound ($7.95) smelled fantastic, and the burek looked good too.

Taqueria Uptown
    1726 W Lawrence Ave
    (773) 784-1881

Fuckerberg on Food

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more