LTH Home

Best Thing You've Eaten [Lately]

Best Thing You've Eaten [Lately]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 81 of 81 
  • Post #2401 - December 24th, 2017, 7:36 pm
    Post #2401 - December 24th, 2017, 7:36 pm Post #2401 - December 24th, 2017, 7:36 pm
    justjoan wrote:that's still quite a steal. i can't imagine why they're taking such a hit on the price....except maybe it's to get people excited about buying their unbaked, frozen pie crusts, which their website says they now sell at whole foods.... they also have a well received cookbook. i think you lucked out on your pie!


    I have a feeling there not taking a hit in price as they probably are only selling at Whole Foods stores in which Four & Twenty Blackbirds bakery doesn't have a brick and mortar location from. This is actually a great marketing for them if they can sell their pies in places where they do not have city/state business location from.

    I would love for some other LTH'rs to try this pie and give their honest feedback to the forum followers as well.

    /polster
  • Post #2402 - December 24th, 2017, 9:43 pm
    Post #2402 - December 24th, 2017, 9:43 pm Post #2402 - December 24th, 2017, 9:43 pm
    Pork belly with black fermented leaf at Chengdu Impression. In what has become family tradition, we have been doing Sichuan for Xmas Eve (ever since the first LTH event at the Chinatown Lao Sze Chuan). Over the years we migrated north, first to Uptown, then to Skokie. After hearing LSC was not up to snuff lately, we decided to try Chengdu Impression this year. Service was great and the food even better. This dish was new to us: thick slices of pork belly tender as can be, modest five spice flavors, over a very tasty vegetable we couldn't identify. Especially as it's just a couple blocks from SueF's family's church, this will probably become the new tradition.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2403 - December 25th, 2017, 11:22 am
    Post #2403 - December 25th, 2017, 11:22 am Post #2403 - December 25th, 2017, 11:22 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    stevez wrote:
    knitgirl wrote:Another perfectly cooked burger at Bad Apple. In this instance, medium rare "The Fig is In": Tyranena Chief Blackhawk porter, fig & bacon relish. goat cheese. smoked onion. They're closed from January 1st til the 10th, I knew I wouldn't be able to wait that long.


    I wish they would open for lunch during the week!

    http://www.badapplebar.com/contact/
    Thursday-Sunday @ 11:30am.


    I was actually there for lunch.
  • Post #2404 - December 25th, 2017, 1:15 pm
    Post #2404 - December 25th, 2017, 1:15 pm Post #2404 - December 25th, 2017, 1:15 pm
    justjoan wrote:hi, i'm glad you enjoyed your pie, but it seems highly unlikely that a $42/pie would be sold at whole foods for $14. the brooklyn bakery's pie is 10 inches. i suspect yours was considerably smaller??
    [/quote]

    that's still quite a steal. i can't imagine why they're taking such a hit on the price....except maybe it's to get people excited about buying their unbaked, frozen pie crusts, which their website says they now sell at whole foods.... they also have a well received cookbook. i think you lucked out on your pie![/quote]
    My guess is volume. They can almost certainly sell more pies with WFM as a distributor than they can at their shop in Brooklyn. And WFM is like Walmart and can tell its vendors what they will pay for product. While distasteful to many, most of us lack that sort of buying power to assist (or harm) a small business.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2405 - December 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm
    Post #2405 - December 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm Post #2405 - December 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    justjoan wrote:hi, i'm glad you enjoyed your pie, but it seems highly unlikely that a $42/pie would be sold at whole foods for $14. the brooklyn bakery's pie is 10 inches. i suspect yours was considerably smaller??


    that's still quite a steal. i can't imagine why they're taking such a hit on the price....except maybe it's to get people excited about buying their unbaked, frozen pie crusts, which their website says they now sell at whole foods.... they also have a well received cookbook. i think you lucked out on your pie![/quote]
    My guess is volume. They can almost certainly sell more pies with WFM as a distributor than they can at their shop in Brooklyn. And WFM is like Walmart and can tell its vendors what they will pay for product. While distasteful to many, most of us lack that sort of buying power to assist (or harm) a small business.[/quote]

    sorry, i don't think there's any profit to be made at $15 a pie, shipped from brooklyn. polster said it was a short term special, i believe. i think it's just advertising for their crusts- and as such, not a bad idea. chocolate, and particularly, pecans are not cheap.
  • Post #2406 - December 25th, 2017, 3:11 pm
    Post #2406 - December 25th, 2017, 3:11 pm Post #2406 - December 25th, 2017, 3:11 pm
    I’ve been to Four and Twenty Blackbirds and their pies are outstanding. But to sell them at that cost, I’m sure they’ve outsourced production, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using slightly inferior ingredients than they’d use at their store, such as the butter and chocolate. And they’ve eliminated rent as a factor in production. Still, I’m sure a much better pie than is typically available for purchase, even at Whole Foods.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #2407 - December 25th, 2017, 9:26 pm
    Post #2407 - December 25th, 2017, 9:26 pm Post #2407 - December 25th, 2017, 9:26 pm
    BR wrote:I’ve been to Four and Twenty Blackbirds and their pies are outstanding. But to sell them at that cost, I’m sure they’ve outsourced production, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using slightly inferior ingredients than they’d use at their store, such as the butter and chocolate. And they’ve eliminated rent as a factor in production. Still, I’m sure a much better pie than is typically available for purchase, even at Whole Foods.


    Yep. I am guessing the capacity to produce pies for a national retailer is not in the realm of a pie shop.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2408 - December 25th, 2017, 9:27 pm
    Post #2408 - December 25th, 2017, 9:27 pm Post #2408 - December 25th, 2017, 9:27 pm
    Panettone From Roy is ah-mazing!

    https://www.thisisfromroy.com/products/ ... colate-2-1
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2409 - December 25th, 2017, 9:33 pm
    Post #2409 - December 25th, 2017, 9:33 pm Post #2409 - December 25th, 2017, 9:33 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    BR wrote:I’ve been to Four and Twenty Blackbirds and their pies are outstanding. But to sell them at that cost, I’m sure they’ve outsourced production, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using slightly inferior ingredients than they’d use at their store, such as the butter and chocolate. And they’ve eliminated rent as a factor in production. Still, I’m sure a much better pie than is typically available for purchase, even at Whole Foods.


    Yep. I am guessing the capacity to produce pies for a national retailer is not in the realm of a pie shop.


    I agree with everyone's assumption about outsourcing production of these pies for Whole Foods. The pie I bought came in a whole foods pie box with the Four and Twenty Blackbirds sticker saying "Bittersweet Chocolate and Pecan Pie - Limited Time Only" at a price point of $14.99. Either way outsourced production or not this was a great store bought pie that in my opinion was better than any other Pecan Pie I have tasted from any grocery store chain (baked in house or a commercial brand).

    /polster
  • Post #2410 - December 27th, 2017, 10:12 am
    Post #2410 - December 27th, 2017, 10:12 am Post #2410 - December 27th, 2017, 10:12 am
    BR wrote:I’ve been to Four and Twenty Blackbirds and their pies are outstanding. But to sell them at that cost, I’m sure they’ve outsourced production, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using slightly inferior ingredients than they’d use at their store, such as the butter and chocolate.

    Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if these pies only had four and sixteen blackbirds — four and eighteen, tops.

    But I too love the Gowanus shop and will definitely try these and report back, assuming they’re still around when I get back to town.
  • Post #2411 - January 28th, 2018, 10:52 pm
    Post #2411 - January 28th, 2018, 10:52 pm Post #2411 - January 28th, 2018, 10:52 pm
    Tonight at ...Moon Palace in Chinatown.

    Chive stir fry with sprouts and dry tofu was wonderful. I don’t know what I was expecting but this dish was delicate and restorative. I did splash some soy and crushed chili oil on it.

    I am definitely making this at home.

    Moon Palace ( next door to the Fire Station)
    216 W Cermak Rd
    Chicago, IL 60616
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2412 - January 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm
    Post #2412 - January 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm Post #2412 - January 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm
    the best thing i've had lately... and daily for a couple of weeks now is a dairy free fake ice cream sold in your grocery store freezer. the company is 'so delicious', and it's not new- just new to me. they have coconut milk and cashew milk frozen products, but it's only the cashew milk ones that have knocked my socks off. the texture of the 'deep chocolate truffle' is extremely dense and chocolatey, but not too sweet. and it doesn't so much melt in your bowl as soften- still intensely rich. the only other flavor i've found is 'salted caramel cluster', which could more accurately be called 'amazingly-addictive-chocolate-flakes- with-a-little-not-too-sweet-caramel-swirled-through-it'. i'm a bit of a gelato addict, but these no cholesterol desserts are every bit as good as my favorite gelato (lemon cake from freddie's pizza, and goat's milk/caramel, or 3 floyd's stout from black dog gelato).
  • Post #2413 - January 29th, 2018, 9:16 pm
    Post #2413 - January 29th, 2018, 9:16 pm Post #2413 - January 29th, 2018, 9:16 pm
    The fried artichokes at Due Lire.
  • Post #2414 - February 9th, 2018, 6:33 pm
    Post #2414 - February 9th, 2018, 6:33 pm Post #2414 - February 9th, 2018, 6:33 pm
    After long consideration Boka became our choice for Restaurant Week, and we were not disappointed with any of the offerings, but my most memorable dish--oddly enough, since I'm not a big dessert person--was the Vanilla+Citrus dessert for its complexity of flavors, textures, and even temperatures. Really a highpoint, and I hope they keep it on the regular menu.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #2415 - February 10th, 2018, 5:47 pm
    Post #2415 - February 10th, 2018, 5:47 pm Post #2415 - February 10th, 2018, 5:47 pm
    Last Sunday @ Fat Rice there was an "omelet" (as it did involve egg, but not in the traditional way) w/roasted shiitakes and rice noodles that still haunts me.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #2416 - February 15th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Post #2416 - February 15th, 2018, 1:27 pm Post #2416 - February 15th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Lobster bisque from Hagen's fish market. Sold in a pint container to take away. YUM!
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #2417 - February 15th, 2018, 3:28 pm
    Post #2417 - February 15th, 2018, 3:28 pm Post #2417 - February 15th, 2018, 3:28 pm
    jbw wrote:After long consideration Boka became our choice for Restaurant Week, and we were not disappointed with any of the offerings, but my most memorable dish--oddly enough, since I'm not a big dessert person--was the Vanilla+Citrus dessert for its complexity of flavors, textures, and even temperatures. Really a highpoint, and I hope they keep it on the regular menu.


    Out of maybe 15-20 RW menus I've tried over the years, Boka's might be my favorite. I think I last dined there for RW in 2013, but their seared diver scallops were some of the best I've had anywhere.
  • Post #2418 - February 20th, 2018, 10:16 pm
    Post #2418 - February 20th, 2018, 10:16 pm Post #2418 - February 20th, 2018, 10:16 pm
    At Peaches restaurant today had the Shrimp and Cheese grits, shrimp with a garlic cream sauce, pork bacon, mushrooms, scallions. Served with garlic Texas toast. The cream really makes it. 10 minutes later I started craving it walking out to my car and have not stopped.

    Peaches Restaurant
    4652 S. King Drive
  • Post #2419 - February 20th, 2018, 10:41 pm
    Post #2419 - February 20th, 2018, 10:41 pm Post #2419 - February 20th, 2018, 10:41 pm
    cleanplateclub wrote:At Peaches restaurant today had the Shrimp and Cheese grits, shrimp with a garlic cream sauce, pork bacon, mushrooms, scallions. Served with garlic Texas toast. The cream really makes it. 10 minutes later I started craving it walking out to my car and have not stopped.

    Peaches Restaurant
    4652 S. King Drive

    I love shrimp & grits and I've heard wonderful things about Peach's. Time for a drive - thanks for sharing.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #2420 - February 20th, 2018, 11:46 pm
    Post #2420 - February 20th, 2018, 11:46 pm Post #2420 - February 20th, 2018, 11:46 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Last Sunday @ Fat Rice there was an "omelet" (as it did involve egg, but not in the traditional way) w/roasted shiitakes and rice noodles that still haunts me.



    I want to have that.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2421 - February 21st, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Post #2421 - February 21st, 2018, 6:40 pm Post #2421 - February 21st, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Porto's Bakery in Buena Park, CA.
    http://www.portosbakery.com/bakery/all

    Potato ball, meat pie, and chicken empanda were all exceptional.
  • Post #2422 - February 21st, 2018, 11:15 pm
    Post #2422 - February 21st, 2018, 11:15 pm Post #2422 - February 21st, 2018, 11:15 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    Jazzfood wrote:Last Sunday @ Fat Rice there was an "omelet" (as it did involve egg, but not in the traditional way) w/roasted shiitakes and rice noodles that still haunts me.



    I want to have that.


    yes you do. it's a special so you may have to ask for it. Image
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more