LTH Home

Northwest Indiana Food

Northwest Indiana Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 11 of 14
  • Post #301 - March 13th, 2013, 2:45 pm
    Post #301 - March 13th, 2013, 2:45 pm Post #301 - March 13th, 2013, 2:45 pm
    This place looks promising: Old Style Inn (Valpo)
    http://www.oldstyleinn.com/Menus/scan0001.pdf
    Lake Perch - Boned and buttered, served with tartar sauce
    Perch Dejonge. 18.95
    Fillet of Walleye :.............................. .. 12 oz 17.95
    Served breaded and deep fried
    Walleye Dejonge............ .. 18.95
    Bluegill - Flavorful fillets, served with tartar sauce
    Bluegill DeJonge 19.95
  • Post #302 - May 1st, 2013, 10:32 am
    Post #302 - May 1st, 2013, 10:32 am Post #302 - May 1st, 2013, 10:32 am
    dbrick59 wrote:I have not had a real deep fried taco in over a decade. I used to live on the East Side and there was a place on the corner of Ewing & 106th st. that made them.Long gone. Thanks for the heads up on Adrians Lounge , its actually not that far from me. I can continue my burrito quest and get some 'real taco's' at the same time.

I'm starting to gather having read and heard from enough people that used to live on the Eastside and in Da Region area that deep fried tacos used to be a popular thing around there. I've been tipped that there's some great ones to be had at the Mexican Pride festival in East Chicago every year and look forward to trying those. Is this your Burrito Quest site? I saw that while looking up some places that serve hard shell tacos like those at Adrian's.

Da Beef wrote:If you're just driving by Adrians you probably wouldn't look twice. It looks like pretty much every other sit down restaurant in the area from the outside and it's got the looks and feel of a NW Indiana restaurant on the inside.

East Chicago, IN

Adrians is a bar first. I think a good chunk of their business comes from that. As you enter you're greeted by a swinging wooden door like you'd find at on old Wild West bar. On there is a note making sure you know that unless you're 21 you are not to enter. Over to the side in the other room next door is a family dining area that hasn't changed since the 70's.

Can we tweet?

I was tipped off on here buy someone I know from Horseshoe who said it's one of his favorite places to eat and drink at when he gets off. Like the decor in the dining room the menu seems to be the same as you'd find at a 1970's restaurant. Think Pepe's or Chi-Chi's as if an old timer who just likes to cook good homestyle food his way was running the place. The tipper along with the freindly waitress who I'm sure has been working there since the 70's both rec'd the nachos as being very popular. So we tried those.

Heaping Plate of Chicken Nachos

This big ass plate pictured above was $10 and came loaded with shredded chicken (choice of meat) and beans underneath all that cheese. We couldn't finish the whole thing despite trying. The drinks are cheap and the margarita wasn't half bad considering. But the reason I was there was because he told me they have some great deep fried tacos like those at Loncar's. Available everyday for $2 each these were as big as theirs but stuffed with a wetter more seasoned blend of ground beef. Good although not quite up to par with the other guys across the border. There's just something about that hot sauce.

The elusive Deep Fried Taco

Here's what else I've found in my Northwest Indiana 1970's style American-Mexican restaurant round-up. First up I noticed that quite a few bars in the area offer "hard" tacos. I decided to try one at Chuck and Irene's in Hammond one day and ended up with a hard shell chicken taco similar to something you were served at your high school cafeteria. Something anyone with chicken, store bought hard shell tacos, seasoning, lettuce, tomato and cheese could make.

Just like mom used to make...if you grew up in Iowa in the 80's

Restaurante Casa Blanca

East Chicago, IN

I've driven past this place countless times over the years and had read some good things about their steak tacos online. I dont know how long they've been around but this place is old school. It's actually quite beautiful inside. It almost feels like you're in a church. A few Mexican families were dining there on a weekday afternoon so I'd guess it gets packed on the weekends.

a peak inside

No deep fried tacos here like I went in looking for so instead I opted for the "huge" steak taco they serve that was getting praise from others online. They asked if I wanted flour or corn and most mentions were for the flour which folks said was filled with meat. That it was, but the quality of the meat was probably just a 7 out of 10 but it was spiced in a rather unique way. The meat was quite juicy and not as dry as it looks. It was ok. I doubt the urge for one will ever hit me again though.

Steak Taco

Avila's

Mexican-American Bar & Grill in East Chicago

Right down the block from Casa Blanca is another spot I've driven by but never been in. I thought that there was a real good chance this place would be similar to Loncar's on the Eastside of Chicago and went on in to see what was up. It's smokey in there. Somewhat similar to Loncar's but no fried tacos here. I did try their chicken fajita plate and again...liked it for what it was. Something most of us could make at home. Too dark inside to get a decent pic.

Plaza Garibaldi

East Chicago, IN

The search for a deep fried "hard" shell taco like that at Adrian's in East Chicago continues at Plaza Garibaldi where they, like Adrian's, have a "hard shell taco" on the menu. No mention of a deep fried and I didn't ask because that's part of the fun. I didn't know what to expect. It had the cheap thrill of a scratch off ticket. Loser. Again just a pre-made hard shell filled with ground beef and topped with lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. Those that love them some Ortega Taco kit tacos for dinner would like these.

Hard Shell Taco

El Taco Real

Hammond, IN

This place has the atmosphere down pat. I grew up loving Mexican food. Long gone places like Lindo Mexico on Lincoln off Wrightwood and La Canasta on Webster were frequented by my family and others from the area. The inside of El Taco Real felt like those old time places. A little pond with a tiny waterfall along with lots of families and couples here for what looked like their weekly dinner at the place. The food though? Meh. Not how I remember Lindo Mexico to be.

a peak inside

They serve "hard" tacos so I got one of those and an enchilada as tasters. Another scratch card, another loser. I dont mean too sound too harsh I just mean in terms of the deep fried taco search. None here and nothing special as far as the generic hard shell taco and enchilada goes.

Enchilada and a Hard Shell Taco

Taco Trader

Dyer, IN

Fans of the now shuttered shuttered Mexican Inn on the Eastside rejoice! Taco Trader was opened by a family member from the folks who ran the Mexican Inn at 95th and Ewing. The menu is pretty simple and two favorites remain. Their signature deep fried tacos are available (with your choice of filling) as are their soft cheese tacos. I think the deep fried guys here were even better than they were there. Or maybe I was just a little too happy to have finally found a worthy one. Just $5 for three. I'm glad this place isnt closer to me. Not sure I'd be here in five years if it were.

Deep Fried Taco Box

Soft Cheese Tacos from Mexican Inn (RIP) now available at Taco Trader

Good Sh!t

Memo's Taco Mex

Highland, IN

Alright throw all the spots we've just been too out the window. Despite the fact it sits in a strip mall down a not so busy street, Memo's is different. It's authentic. Props to boudreaulicious for the rec. I doubt I ever would of known without it. This place is great, basically my definition of a GNR. It's a family run business with some great people taking care of you. I always thought the Molletes on their menu were their own creation but I guess this is a popular dish at family dinner tables around Mexico.

Molletes aka Mexican Bruschetta

Memo's makes theirs with toasted garlic Texas sized toast with a smear of refried beans topped with guacamole, roasted red peppers and cheese. These are sure to please folks from all walks of life. Also listed on their menu is a section of "Tacos Dorados" which you know I'm all over. Do not miss their shrimp taco dorado. They're on any "best tacos in Chicagoland" list I'm asked to make.

Shrimp (Bottom) and Beef Tacos Dorados

The Insides

The shrimp dorados are addictive with the mango habenero salsa served on the side and a little pinch of slaw put into the open area on top. The shrimp go in a corn tortilla and they hold it shut with tongs while deep frying it for a few minutes. Crunchy outside and excellent tasting insides. They have a few specialty tacos incl. the campechana with skirt steak (always quality) along with chorizo and cilantro and red onions. Very good as are the mahi mahi tacos available on Friday only.

Taco Campechano

The taquito's appetizer is basically alambres served in mini corn tortillas. Skirt Steak, bacon, green peppers, onions, and cheese? Yes please. They also do breakfast as well as specials on weekends. Items like pozole, carnitas and cochinita pibil. Carne en su Jugo on the menu too.

Taquitos

Then there's the Pancha. This is great. They take a big fresh flour tortilla and fill it with skirt steak, refried beans, green peppers, onions and cheese and then cook it on the flattop basted with red enchilada sauce. So it's basically a burrito, enchilada, and fajitas all rolled into one. Served with housemade guac and sour cream on the side. At $10 it makes for two meals for me and that's saying something, I eat well. All of their salsas are made in house and each one is top notch. This is a place that could easily hang in the city. I would be there often if it was nearer. Actually I think they used to have a place on Torrence. Fill up on gas while there and it's worth the ride. Great place to eat.

Pancha Burrito

Adrians Lounge
    1208 Carroll St
    East Chicago, IN 46312
    (219) 397-5951

Casa Blanca
    4616 Indianapolis Blvd
    East Chicago, IN 46312
    (219) 397-4151

Avila's Restaurant & Lounge
    823 W Chicago Ave
    East Chicago, IN 46312
    (219) 397-0070

Plaza Garibaldi
    4302 Indianapolis Blvd
    East Chicago, IN 46312
    (219) 397-2237

El Taco Real
    935 Hoffman St
    Hammond, IN 46327
    (219) 932-8333

Taco Trader
    875 Joliet St
    Dyer, IN 46311
    (219) 864-0007

Memo's Taco Mex
    2128 45th St
    Highland, IN 46322
    (219) 934-7300
  • Post #303 - May 1st, 2013, 10:36 am
    Post #303 - May 1st, 2013, 10:36 am Post #303 - May 1st, 2013, 10:36 am
    nice,

Taco Trader just became tops on my list of places to try.
  • Post #304 - May 1st, 2013, 10:45 am
    Post #304 - May 1st, 2013, 10:45 am Post #304 - May 1st, 2013, 10:45 am
    Well da beef, it's a good trade of info because I go to the Sbux next to Taco Trader at least a couple times a week and I've looked in their window a couple times but it appeared to be nothing more than a taco-bell wannabe. I'll have to check it out.

So glad you liked Memo's--next time, don't miss the cochinita pibil tacos and the carnitas. Both terrific. And the tres leches cake is worth the calories. I do wish they'd expand though--lately, even at off hours, there are waits for tables--so far, we've always lucked out and not had to wait but I fear the day will arrive when my SO will cross it off our list (he refuses to wait for food).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #305 - May 1st, 2013, 4:22 pm
    Post #305 - May 1st, 2013, 4:22 pm Post #305 - May 1st, 2013, 4:22 pm
    No, the burrito quest site is not mine although I continue to try new places on my own 'quest'.The gentleman named John who created the burrito quest site has not posted anything in a couple of years,I wonder what happened.You mentioned Memo's in Highland. I have probably had 60 or so burrito's so far and thats the only place I have found that offers 2 sizes of burritos.They are not much difference in size.
  • Post #306 - May 1st, 2013, 6:32 pm
    Post #306 - May 1st, 2013, 6:32 pm Post #306 - May 1st, 2013, 6:32 pm
    Da Beef wrote:El Taco Real
    Hammond, IN
    Year in,year out,folks in NWI rave about this place. Anytime there's a "best of" this place ends up on top. Years ago I was dragged there by Hammond natives gushing about how good the food was. During the meal it was difficult for me to keep a straight face while my companions oohed and ahh'd over the dreadful food. I vowed never to eat there again.
  • Post #307 - May 1st, 2013, 6:45 pm
    Post #307 - May 1st, 2013, 6:45 pm Post #307 - May 1st, 2013, 6:45 pm
    Artie wrote:
    Da Beef wrote:El Taco Real
    Hammond, IN
    Year in,year out,folks in NWI rave about this place. Anytime there's a "best of" this place ends up on top. Years ago I was dragged there by Hammond natives gushing about how good the food was. During the meal it was difficult for me to keep a straight face while my companions oohed and ahh'd over the dreadful food. I vowed never to eat there again.

My 100% Mexican MIL LOVES the place. Of course she cooks without any seasoning of any kind--not even salt--so there you have it.

Hey Artie--been meaning to ask about this and you'd be a good person to check with. Any intel on the Peruvian place--I think it's called Maritza's--that took over the space where Underdog or Wunderdog or whatever it was called was in Highland by the library?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #308 - May 6th, 2013, 2:16 pm
    Post #308 - May 6th, 2013, 2:16 pm Post #308 - May 6th, 2013, 2:16 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Hey Artie--been meaning to ask about this and you'd be a good person to check with. Any intel on the Peruvian place--I think it's called Maritza's--that took over the space where Underdog or Wunderdog or whatever it was called was in Highland by the library?

Never even knew they took over the space.
  • Post #309 - May 6th, 2013, 2:50 pm
    Post #309 - May 6th, 2013, 2:50 pm Post #309 - May 6th, 2013, 2:50 pm
    Artie wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:Hey Artie--been meaning to ask about this and you'd be a good person to check with. Any intel on the Peruvian place--I think it's called Maritza's--that took over the space where Underdog or Wunderdog or whatever it was called was in Highland by the library?

Never even knew they took over the space.

I'm going to try to stop in next weekend if possible. Will update as soon as I have any info. Certainly an interesting addition if it's any good...
  • Post #310 - May 15th, 2013, 11:18 am
    Post #310 - May 15th, 2013, 11:18 am Post #310 - May 15th, 2013, 11:18 am
    Upon recommendation I tried Mi Tierra restaurant at the Griffith- Merriville airport . Obscure location but very good food. Check it out when you are in the area. Don't know about the tacos dorado that has been the subject of a few posts lately. I had the chilaquiles and a pork tamale. My brother had chiles relleno and a steak taco. We both enjoyed our meal. I asked why the chips tasted so much better than one usually gets and Don Chuy said they make their own tortillas. The table salsa is a little bland but tasty. They will also bring hotter upon request.
    The menu is the typical NW Indiana Mexican but with pulled pork and St Louis ribs also. Give it a try.

Mi Tierra
    1705 E Main
    Griffith,IN
    219 922 3633
  • Post #311 - May 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm
    Post #311 - May 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm Post #311 - May 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm
    Bombers BBQ opened up in Munster just over 2 weeks ago and I have to say it's well worth the stop. Pulled pork, brisket, baby backs, spares and rib tips are the meats. The owners are young and enthusiastic and super friendly. I've been there 4 times already and it's been solid on every trip. Sides are average to above but I've only had a couple.

Spares with jalapeño cheddar corn bread

Brisket sandwich and hush puppies.

They have a Facebook page that they put end of night specials on and usually run out so check if going late.

Bombers BBQ
    439 Ridge Road
    Munster, IN
    219-836-2662

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2
  • Post #312 - May 24th, 2013, 7:34 pm
    Post #312 - May 24th, 2013, 7:34 pm Post #312 - May 24th, 2013, 7:34 pm
    sparky697 wrote:Bombers BBQ
    439 Ridge Road
    Munster, IN
    219-836-2662

I had no idea this place even existed. Thank you! 8)
  • Post #313 - May 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm
    Post #313 - May 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm Post #313 - May 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Any intel on the Peruvian place--I think it's called Maritza's--that took over the space where Underdog or Wunderdog or whatever it was called was in Highland by the library?

Yes, it's where Underdog Hotdogs was. I haven't been there yet, but they do hav a website...

http://maritzascafe.com/

Maritza's Cafe
    2945 Jewett St.
    Highland, IN 46322
    (219) 838-1234
  • Post #314 - May 25th, 2013, 7:23 pm
    Post #314 - May 25th, 2013, 7:23 pm Post #314 - May 25th, 2013, 7:23 pm
    We stopped in at Maritza's a couple weeks ago. The owner and her son were the ones working and the were really nice. Never had Peruvian before so I didn't know what to expect. We started off with some really tasty Peruvian margaritas made with something called Pisco, a Peruvian brandy.

I went with a fried seafood dish with shrimp, fish and calamari and it was good. Not overly breaded and tasted fresh.

Girlfriend had a steak dish that she enjoyed. She must have liked it because I didn't even get a taste lol.

We split some lemoncillo cake that was fantastic.

Overall I'd say it was good but not great but as I said the owner was really nice and helpful and I will happily return to try some other dishes.

• Post #315 - June 9th, 2013, 1:50 pm
    Post #315 - June 9th, 2013, 1:50 pm Post #315 - June 9th, 2013, 1:50 pm
    Had the brisket again at Bombers BBQ and it has definitely improved since the first day. Nice and juicy this time with the same great flavor. So nice to finally have real BBQ near my house.

• Post #316 - June 21st, 2013, 7:07 pm
    Post #316 - June 21st, 2013, 7:07 pm Post #316 - June 21st, 2013, 7:07 pm
    sparky697 wrote:We stopped in at Maritza's a couple weeks ago. The owner and her son were the ones working and the were really nice. Never had Peruvian before so I didn't know what to expect. We started off with some really tasty Peruvian margaritas made with something called Pisco, a Peruvian brandy.

That cake looks delicious. The seafood looks very good too.

I was wondering if anybody here has been to Avia in Munster? I went there a few times several years ago when that location was a Savoia T'Go, but I lost interest when I learned it was no longer Savoia. I rarely travel in that area, but I recently had to see a doctor nearby, and noticed it as I went past. A few days later I checked it out online, and found their website. It says they "feature Savoia food products," and the menu looks pretty much identical to STG.

Is it good?
  • Post #317 - June 22nd, 2013, 8:04 am
    Post #317 - June 22nd, 2013, 8:04 am Post #317 - June 22nd, 2013, 8:04 am
    DKriv wrote:I was wondering if anybody here has been to Avia in Munster? I went there a few times several years ago when that location was a Savoia T'Go, but I lost interest when I learned it was no longer Savoia. I rarely travel in that area, but I recently had to see a doctor nearby, and noticed it as I went past. A few days later I checked it out online, and found their website. It says they "feature Savoia food products," and the menu looks pretty much identical to STG.

Is it good?

I had a sub sandwich from there Once. As a result I've never been back.
  • Post #318 - June 24th, 2013, 9:21 am
    Post #318 - June 24th, 2013, 9:21 am Post #318 - June 24th, 2013, 9:21 am
    Bombers should have it's own thread. The baked beans were something magical. Just had the brisket but can't wait to try the bacon jalapeno bombs, candied bacon, deep fried candy (varies), etc etc etc...

The sweet potato fries with the garlic aioli.... I don't like sweet potato fries but the garlic aioli it came with transformed the flavor into an uppercut of garlic awesomeness...
  • Post #319 - June 24th, 2013, 12:05 pm
    Post #319 - June 24th, 2013, 12:05 pm Post #319 - June 24th, 2013, 12:05 pm
    Went thru the popular European Market in historic downtown Chesterton which is open Saturdays in the beginning of May thru October. Nice place to visit if you're heading thru on a Sat. en route elsewhere or just as a quick trip out of the city. Without traffic its about an hour and the beaches at Indiana Dunes State Park and Beverly Shores arent far.

A quick pic trip thru Chesterton's European Market

I wasn't all that impressed with the actual produce, there were a couple good stands but not as many as I thought I'd see. They did have some good vendors selling canned items and an Amish lady had a tent with a package that included a huge two pound bag of homemade noodles along with a dozen fresh eggs and huge roll of Amish butter for $20 but I wasnt rolling proper to store that package. The eating options though are pretty damn good. All three spots I tried were winners.

They're so hyped that they've reached NW Indiana...

Excellent Soft Pretzel from Ben's

The Rolling Stonebaker in da house

Pizza Margherita is good but their weekend market specials are great

Island Grilled Jerk Chicken Stand

Mi a go a back mon!

Chesterton's European Market
    Thomas Centennial Park
    Chesterton, IN 46304
    (219) 926-5513
  • Post #320 - June 24th, 2013, 7:27 pm
    Post #320 - June 24th, 2013, 7:27 pm Post #320 - June 24th, 2013, 7:27 pm
    I love that jerk chicken stand! Have to agree with the pizza truck. They usually have a heirloom tomato salad that is pretty good as well.
  • Post #321 - July 11th, 2013, 6:42 pm
    Post #321 - July 11th, 2013, 6:42 pm Post #321 - July 11th, 2013, 6:42 pm
    Looks like Arrenello's in Highland will be closed for a few days. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like it was too serious.

Highland plaza fire damages pizzeria and bakery
  • Post #322 - July 12th, 2013, 4:15 pm
    Post #322 - July 12th, 2013, 4:15 pm Post #322 - July 12th, 2013, 4:15 pm
    The Rolling Studebaker truck is at the Griffith Central Market and will be open every Friday from 3pm until 8pm. I had an $8.00 sausage pizza today that was cracker thin with a perfect char on the bottom. Delish!
    You can read more about the truck and it's fare Here

Griffith Central Market
    698 N Broad St
    Griffith, IN 46319
  • Post #323 - July 13th, 2013, 5:15 pm
    Post #323 - July 13th, 2013, 5:15 pm Post #323 - July 13th, 2013, 5:15 pm
    sparky697 wrote:Had the brisket again at Bombers BBQ and it has definitely improved since the first day. Nice and juicy this time with the same great flavor. So nice to finally have real BBQ near my house.

I went here with UniAddict here today, and I have to agree, they need their own thread. I'm a bit sorry I didn't bother to take pictures, but this may just be my new favorite barbecue in the Chicagoland area if today's meal is indicative of their usual quality. The brisket is simply sublime. I would say as good to better than Smoque's. Perfectly juicy, smoky, good bark, tender. I could not find a single thing to fault it. It's exactly the kind of brisket I strive for when I throw one out on the WSM. The pulled pork was wonderful, too, and the burnt ends were also great, but I don't have a lot of burnt ends experience to say how it compares. My one criticism is that the pulled pork sandwich came on a pretzel roll that was much too dense for my tastes. Similar to Fat Willy's idea of the ciabatta-type rolls they use for their barbecue sandwiches. I can't say I'm a fan of that approach, so I just left the bun aside and ate the meat.

But, seriously, this place needs to be on the radar. Without exaggeration, I would say this is the best overall barbecue experience I've had in the Chicagoland area (although I did not taste the ribs.)
  • Post #324 - July 28th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Post #324 - July 28th, 2013, 12:36 pm Post #324 - July 28th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Second location opening:

Big Daddy's BBQ Grand Opening
    6823 Grand Avenue, Hammond, IN
    12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
    South Shore CVA to end 30 Stops in 30 Days Wednesday
    HAMMOND | The 30 Stops in 30 Days Campaign ends Wednesday at the grand opening of Big Daddy's BBQ in Hammond.

The South Shore Tour Mobile has been making different stops throughout the South Shore during the campaign at restaurants, businesses, events and tourist destinations.

Wednesday's final stop is from noon to 2 p.m. at Big Daddy's BBQ, 6823 Grand Ave. in Hammond.

Original location
    Big Daddy's BBQ
    4213 Cleveland St, Gary, Indiana 46408
    (219) 888-9592
  • Post #325 - August 19th, 2013, 9:09 am
    Post #325 - August 19th, 2013, 9:09 am Post #325 - August 19th, 2013, 9:09 am
    Da Beef wrote:
    Fans of the now shuttered shuttered Mexican Inn on the Eastside rejoice! Taco Trader was opened by a family member from the folks who ran the Mexican Inn at 95th and Ewing. The menu is pretty simple and two favorites remain. Their signature deep fried tacos are available (with your choice of filling) as are their soft cheese tacos. I think the deep fried guys here were even better than they were there. Or maybe I was just a little too happy to have finally found a worthy one. Just $5 for three. I'm glad this place isnt closer to me. Not sure I'd be here in five years if it were.

Deep Fried Taco Box

Taco Trader
    875 Joliet St
    Dyer, IN 46311
    (219) 864-0007

I was over in the area of the Heights of Chicago at the humane society looking for a kitten, knew some tacos were in the cards. I dig Loncars and their fried tacos on Wednesday's... alot. Nice to find a place that can cure that crave 7 days a week.

clean spot in a strip mall, looks corporate, but the tacos are ligit. Missing something when compared to Loncar's - perhaps the buzz, perhaps Loncars sauce,...

Taco Traders were solid (3) for about $6.
  • Post #326 - September 11th, 2013, 7:28 pm
    Post #326 - September 11th, 2013, 7:28 pm Post #326 - September 11th, 2013, 7:28 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:I actually ate at Amici's this week--and it wasn't bad. Seating is only bar stools along the order counter and a few tables outside so clearly they're geared towards takeout/delivery.

I went past it yesterday and saw a lot of construction there. It looks like they're making the building larger. Indoor dining appears to be on its way to Amici's. 8)
  • Post #327 - September 11th, 2013, 8:30 pm
    Post #327 - September 11th, 2013, 8:30 pm Post #327 - September 11th, 2013, 8:30 pm
    I haven't been back--we don't live close enough for delivery and eating there wasn't comfortable so good for them if they're doing well enough to expand.
  • Post #328 - September 13th, 2013, 10:36 am
    Post #328 - September 13th, 2013, 10:36 am Post #328 - September 13th, 2013, 10:36 am
    I had a chance to try Bombers BBQ in Munster for lunch the other day. All in all, it was pretty good. The only thing holding them back from greatness is the lack of business. While much of what I had showed real promise, the lack of a lunch crowd on a Wednesday meant that things were held just a bit too long to be at their peak, but the flavors and technique were very good. I'd love to sample their wares fresh of the smoker some time!

Bombers BBQ

Bombers BBQ Brisket

The brisket looked good, and the bark had an excellent flavor. Unfortunately, the brisket had been held too long and it was pretty dry. As I said, if this were fresh off the smoker, it would have been elevated at least three levels from what we were served.

Bombers Baby Backs

These were served as part of a combo platter. They had real good flavor but were again just a tad dry.

Bombers Pulled Pork

This sandwich was the best item of the day. Good moisture, nice smoke flavor, lots of bark...a real good sandwich.

Bombers is doing a lot of stuff right. All meat is served dry, and you can add sauce as desired from their collection of 5 - 6 house made sauces. They deserve some love, and I hope some more folks make the trek to Munster to check them out. A good 1 - 2 punch is lunch/dinner at Bombers followed by a visit to Munster Donuts located right around the corner.

Bombers BBQ
    439 Ridge Rd
    Munster, IN 46321
    (219) 836-2662

Munster Donuts
    8314 Calumet Ave
    Munster, IN 46321
    (219) 836-1709
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #329 - September 13th, 2013, 11:10 am
    Post #329 - September 13th, 2013, 11:10 am Post #329 - September 13th, 2013, 11:10 am
    stevez wrote:The brisket looked good, and the bark had an excellent flavor. Unfortunately, the brisket had been held too long and it was pretty dry. As I said, if this were fresh off the smoker, it would have been elevated at least three levels from what we were served.

Oh, yeah...that's not at all how the brisket I had looked. Bummer, as it's sublime when it's on.
  • Post #330 - September 26th, 2013, 4:24 pm
    Post #330 - September 26th, 2013, 4:24 pm Post #330 - September 26th, 2013, 4:24 pm
    Here's a nice find in the middle of the industrial struggle. While Northwest Indiana actually has a relatively high number of good spots for a home cooked breakfast, it doesn't have many places taking the new school approach. The Scrambled Diner in Dyer feels like it should be somewhere in River North or up in s trip mall in Northbrook. No doubt if it were it'd have a wait each and every weekend.

Image Image
    Dyer, IN

Stopped in on a Saturday morning a few weeks back en route to the Dunes and there was steady traffic but only about a 5 minute wait. Basically everything but the bread is made from scratch here. But even that is bought from a baker in Chesterton so it's a real modern type place. Exact opposite of most of the other breakfast stops around the area. The menu is pretty basic with a few twists here and there. They have omelets, skillets, pancakes, sandwiches, burgers, and so on but it's most all made in back, nothing from a can and you could taste that. It was also felt in the wait between ordering the food and it actually arriving. Nonetheless I'd recommend, especially for the area.

Chorizo Skillet - Only had a few bites but tasted a well spiced blend w/ perfectly crisped hash browns.

Side of Corned Beef Hash - Near perfect. Small bits of perfectly crisped hash and potato, just the way I like it.

Bacon Cheeseburger - Just a tad overcooked but still something I'd happily eat again. Thick tasty bacon and fresh cut fries both top of the line.

Homemade Cinnamon Roll - Over the top in pure indulgence. Might of dropped dead or developed diabetes if I ate the entire thing.

The Scrambled Diner
    250 W 81st Ave
    Dyer, IN 46311
    (219) 865-3950

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide