LTH Home

Korean Express

Korean Express
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Korean Express

Post #1 - August 5th, 2004, 9:05 am
    Post #1 - August 5th, 2004, 9:05 am Post #1 - August 5th, 2004, 9:05 am
    Just saw this yesterday, a new storefront on Wells Street, where Riggie's Pizza shared a space with Lai Lai (chineese fast food).

Lai Lai is still there, but in the place of Reggie's is Korean Express, billed as Chicago's first Korean fast food restaurant. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so today.

Here is the short list:

Bibimbahb (meat and veg on rice)
    Bulgoki (BBQ beef)
    Pork Bulgoki
    Dakkochi (spicy chicken brochette)
    Jabache (sweet potato noodle with fried veg)

...alll about $5 and Yaki Mandu dumplings for $3.

Will report back later today.

Korean Express
    330 South Wells Street
    (312) 986-8009

pd
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #2 - August 5th, 2004, 9:35 am
    Post #2 - August 5th, 2004, 9:35 am Post #2 - August 5th, 2004, 9:35 am
    Looking forward to the report. That's right around the corner from my office, in an area increasingly dominated by bland sandwich shops. It's like Jimmy John's and Quizno's are locked in a cannibalistic battle where the winner will own the Baked Lay's craving masses.
  • Post #3 - August 5th, 2004, 10:11 am
    Post #3 - August 5th, 2004, 10:11 am Post #3 - August 5th, 2004, 10:11 am
    This is exciting news. I would actually disagree that that area of the Loop is particularly bland (although I agree it is becoming increasingly more so). I actually find it to be one of the better food areas downtown...not that this is saying much. Right in that area you have Finkle's, Burrito Buggy, Peppers, Tokyo Lunch Box, Petra's, the new Haifa Cafe, La Cocina, and now this Korean fast food place. That's seven different types of pretty decent, non-chain fast food within a block or two. I don't know that there are many other parts of the Loop that can say the same. Plus there is Cal's, one of the few good bars downtown.
  • Post #4 - August 5th, 2004, 10:24 am
    Post #4 - August 5th, 2004, 10:24 am Post #4 - August 5th, 2004, 10:24 am
    Right in that area you have ... Petra's, ...

When Antonius and I last walked by Petra Cafe (about 10 days ago) it looked like they had expanded their offerings with daily specials. Have you guys tried any of them?
  • Post #5 - August 5th, 2004, 10:48 am
    Post #5 - August 5th, 2004, 10:48 am Post #5 - August 5th, 2004, 10:48 am
    Giallo wrote:Plus there is Cal's, one of the few good bars downtown.

Tell me about Cal's. Somehow in 6 years of happy hours I have managed to miss a local place. Specifically, where is it, what sets it apart, what kind of crowd does it attract, does it have a menu?

thanks.

P.S. I did not mean to imply the area was devoid of quality lunch options - I frequent la Cocina, Finkl's and Petra in particular - merely that the sandwich shops with deep pockets and shallow food ambitions seem to be appearing with increasing frequency.
  • Post #6 - August 5th, 2004, 11:07 am
    Post #6 - August 5th, 2004, 11:07 am Post #6 - August 5th, 2004, 11:07 am
    Cal's is one of the few legitimate dive bars in the Loop. It attracts a lot of the bike messenger crowd or that ilk, but it's not uncommon to see a stray trader or two having a drink. I like Cal's because it has a neighborhood bar feel. Very rarely overcrowed, always laid back, decent music playing, cheap beer. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights they have punk and garage rock bands play there. No menu, but you can bring food in. Along with Kasey's in Printer's Row, probably my favorite after work drinking spot.

Cal's is at Van Buren and Wells
    www.drinkatcalsbar.com
    Last edited by Giallo on August 5th, 2004, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #7 - August 5th, 2004, 11:20 am
    Post #7 - August 5th, 2004, 11:20 am Post #7 - August 5th, 2004, 11:20 am
    Giallo wrote: Along with Casey's in Printer's Row, probably my favorite after work drinking spot.

That's Kasey's with a 'K'... And don't take my stool!

:D
    A
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #8 - August 5th, 2004, 11:29 am
    Post #8 - August 5th, 2004, 11:29 am Post #8 - August 5th, 2004, 11:29 am
    When Antonius and I last walked by Petra Cafe (about 10 days ago) it looked like they had expanded their offerings with daily specials.

I'm pretty sure it's under new management. I have not tried their special offerings.
    MAG
    www.monogrammeevents.com

"I've never met a pork product I didn't like."
  • Post #9 - August 5th, 2004, 11:38 am
    Post #9 - August 5th, 2004, 11:38 am Post #9 - August 5th, 2004, 11:38 am
    Simon wrote:
    Giallo wrote:Plus there is Cal's, one of the few good bars downtown.

Tell me about Cal's. Somehow in 6 years of happy hours I have managed to miss a local place. Specifically, where is it, what sets it apart, what kind of crowd does it attract, does it have a menu?
    <snip>

Hmmm...I lunch at Cal's occasionally and would hesitate to call it a "good bar." It's very rundown, shares a space with an adjacent liquor store, and through a cut-out in the wall, offers burgers from the adjoining J&J Snack Shop. J&J's offers what MikeG lovingly has dubbed the 30's-style burger. that is to say, a thin patty surmounted by a few pickle chips and little else (onions?). A lot has been made of J&J's burger, but I found the predominant taste to be...grease. Both the burger patty and the shoestring fries are undoubtedly frozen, but the fries are usually very crispy (a plus in my book) Cal's charm for me lies in the fact that for around ~$5, one can have a burger, fries, and a cheap domestic beer, and take in a Cubs game on the teevee before trudging back to the office. (One can do the same at the local Billy Goat outpost where the principal design element is formica and fixed bench seating).

Other than that, I would give Cal's props for having the one non-Disneyfied bar in the financial district (think Poag Mahones and Elephant & Castle). Apparently, it is a haven for weary bike messengers as well, and has bands on the weekend which slightly mystifies me. Frankly, it would take a lot to drag me into the lower Loop on a weekend to see a local band in a rundown bar. You can however swill Bud and Miller products for $2 a pop.

Oh, and Cal's has one the most disgusting restrooms I have ever seen in Chicago. If any of the above appeals, make your way to Cal's.
    Last edited by titus wong on August 5th, 2004, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #10 - August 5th, 2004, 11:45 am
    Post #10 - August 5th, 2004, 11:45 am Post #10 - August 5th, 2004, 11:45 am
    Actually, Cal's is a package store/lounge, and the adjacent hamburger stand is Pepper's, which I and others on the old board like(d) pretty well.

Cal's is a trader bar, and one of the few gritty places left in the Loop, though it fits in well under the L in that particular neighborhood, along with Skyride and Boni Vino.

By the way, a korean couple ran a "pan-asian" window in the Chinese/Pizza place next to Billy Goat accross from the BOT, maybe 5 years ago. I ate excellent bibimbop or beef donburi there several times a week for a few years. Hope it's the same nice folks.
  • Post #11 - August 5th, 2004, 11:49 am
    Post #11 - August 5th, 2004, 11:49 am Post #11 - August 5th, 2004, 11:49 am
    Whoops, JeffB is right -- that's Pepper's not J&J. Sorry.
  • Post #12 - August 5th, 2004, 12:00 pm
    Post #12 - August 5th, 2004, 12:00 pm Post #12 - August 5th, 2004, 12:00 pm
    Report Back:

I met MAG for quick lunch (she has a high pressure lawyer job, so it had to be quick; TPA was so-high pressured today he couldn't join in).

I had the Beef Bulgoki and MAG had the Spicy Chicken Dakkochi. Both were served on a bed of shredded cabbage with rice on the side. We each also had two of the Yaki Mandu dumplings, for a buck add-on.

I couldn't even think of spciy food after last night's Thai Aree dinner, even sitting down to lunch may me a bit uneasy :oops: However, MAG said her dish was not all spicy, but good. I added a small container of hot sauce to mine and it improved the flavor....but they probably could use some more heat. The dumplings were fine.

Will be nice to see if they kick up the spice a bit or at least expand the ways that folks can add in condiments. But for the price this is a decent non-chain lunch option.

In answer to some of the above questions:

1. There is actually a resurgence of some new restaurants in this area. I see a newish-Mexican place where Burger King (where you can eat like Royalty "Here King, come and get it").

2. I had another report on Petra's a while back. Yes, they are under new management. The owner used to run a ME grocery in Indiana and is very happy here. Yes, they now have daily specials and the food quality has improved greatly.

pd
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #13 - August 5th, 2004, 12:35 pm
    Post #13 - August 5th, 2004, 12:35 pm Post #13 - August 5th, 2004, 12:35 pm
    pdaane wrote:I see a newish-Mexican place where Burger King (where you can eat like Royalty "Here King, come and get it").

I think you're referring to Qdoba, which, unfortunately is a largish chain of around 100 outposts, according to their website. Who needs chain Mexican with La Cocina right around the corner?

EDIT: I notice from the link I provided that Qdoba is owned by the Jack in the Box Corp. We're back to deep pockets, shallow taste. (Qdoba, not JITB, which I have not had).

I have to confess though that I am a bit of a wimp and have been lately avoiding the insanely hot, non-airconditioned La Cocina. Can't get those work clothes sweaty and smelly.

Glad to hear the Korean is good though. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the review.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more