LTH Home

Real BBQ in Des Plaines Area?

Real BBQ in Des Plaines Area?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 30th, 2006, 4:51 pm
    Post #31 - August 30th, 2006, 4:51 pm Post #31 - August 30th, 2006, 4:51 pm
    Alright, took one for the team.
    I went by Kadds today and ordered JD's Teaser Platter which consists of 1/2 slab gourmet baby back ribs, 1/2 slab of the King ribs with an order of rib tips,a dinner roll, and choice of 2 sides.The gentleman at the counter suggested cole slaw but since I hate slaw, I chose baked beans and mac & cheese. A small container of tangy bbq sauce was also included. There was more than enough food for 2 people.

First, the rib bones were relatively soft(?). As I understand it, smoking doesn't do that to the bones but parboiling does. I do believe they smoke their ribs but I didn't spot an outdoor smoker. The only indicvation of bbq came after I placed my order and the bbq odors started IMHO, they smoke their meat and then warm it up for individual orders because they don't do enough Ribs business to keep the smoker going all day. The baby backs had the least charring on them and were the most tender of the 3 but I've had better.
    The other half slab had about 1 1/2 ribs that was dried up. Parts of 2 or 3 rib tips also were dried up and hard to digest. But overall the ribs and tips were tender with the tips & king slab more flavorful.
    What I'm told by my friends is that if a good rub is used, there would not be an overly salty aftertaste. Which was unfortunately my experience.
    The sides were sort of bland. The beans did have some bacon bits but nothing stood out.
    The counterman did say the bbq was very good particularly the pulled pork & beef brisket. I may try that in the future but not right away. Perhaps another poster can go and confirm my experience or if they have a different one, provide their account. I suspect the purists in the forum might have a problem with Kadds' ribs.
    It wasn't a bad experience but then again I find Gale Street Inn ribs acceptable. For bbq, I would not be in a hurry to go back.
  • Post #32 - December 31st, 2007, 11:55 pm
    Post #32 - December 31st, 2007, 11:55 pm Post #32 - December 31st, 2007, 11:55 pm
    My girlfriend and I just enjoyed a terrific lunch at BBQ Shack in St. Charles. I had the "Texas" Combo - 3 smoked meats (I picked sliced brisket, pulled pork and ham) - and she chose fried catfish. Having lived for two years in Memphis, Tennessee, I can vouch for the authenticity of the food, which was delicious. I heartily recommend this place...it's worth going out of your way to eat there!
  • Post #33 - January 1st, 2008, 12:45 am
    Post #33 - January 1st, 2008, 12:45 am Post #33 - January 1st, 2008, 12:45 am
    Sweet Baby Ray's in Wooddale is good. I went to Honey One but it was just ok nothing really to make a trip for.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #34 - January 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm
    Post #34 - January 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm Post #34 - January 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm
    Smoque is really, really easily accessible from the inbound Kennedy Expressway (Irving Park exit to Avondale; the map on their website makes it easy to follow). The stated criterion was 10-20 minutes from Des Plaines; if you're not driving during prime commuting times, Smoque is only about 8 minutes from the Tri-State/Kennedy/Northwest interchange, which means it's easily within the range specified. And despite my disappointment at the mediocre sides at Smoque, I think the barbecue items there are very good, especially if you enjoy barbecue with a strong smoke taste to it. You'll find more info in the separate topic on Smoque.

toria wrote:Sweet Baby Ray's in Wooddale is good.

Last year I attended a party catered by Sweet Baby Ray's and I thought it was quite good, too.
  • Post #35 - May 27th, 2008, 7:09 am
    Post #35 - May 27th, 2008, 7:09 am Post #35 - May 27th, 2008, 7:09 am
    Coming Soon: Smokey's Barbecue around 5430 Northwest Highway! I'll keep everybody posted. I'm so excited to have a BBQ joint within walking distance! (A long walk, but still...)
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #36 - May 27th, 2008, 1:15 pm
    Post #36 - May 27th, 2008, 1:15 pm Post #36 - May 27th, 2008, 1:15 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Coming Soon: Smokey's Barbecue around 5430 Northwest Highway! I'll keep everybody posted. I'm so excited to have a BBQ joint within walking distance! (A long walk, but still...)

where is 5430 Northwest Highway by? I a mean what intersections or city?
  • Post #37 - May 27th, 2008, 2:13 pm
    Post #37 - May 27th, 2008, 2:13 pm Post #37 - May 27th, 2008, 2:13 pm
    I can't believe that someone has not recommended Smoque. Yes you have to drive to the city although not downtown, but is really not that far and it would have to say that it is worth the drive.

Smoque
    3800 N Pulaski
    http://www.smoquebbq.com/
  • Post #38 - May 27th, 2008, 4:37 pm
    Post #38 - May 27th, 2008, 4:37 pm Post #38 - May 27th, 2008, 4:37 pm
    friendly foodie wrote:I can't believe that someone has not recommended Smoque. Yes you have to drive to the city although not downtown, but is really not that far and it would have to say that it is worth the drive.

Smoque
    3800 N Pulaski
    http://www.smoquebbq.com/

NSXtasy not only recommended Smoque back in Jan, but also referenced threads (3 posts up). :)
  • Post #39 - May 27th, 2008, 6:50 pm
    Post #39 - May 27th, 2008, 6:50 pm Post #39 - May 27th, 2008, 6:50 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Coming Soon: Smokey's Barbecue around 5430 Northwest Highway! I'll keep everybody posted. I'm so excited to have a BBQ joint within walking distance! (A long walk, but still...)
    Bah! I was hoping to scoop the board on this when it opened. I could walk it, too.
  • Post #40 - May 29th, 2008, 4:34 am
    Post #40 - May 29th, 2008, 4:34 am Post #40 - May 29th, 2008, 4:34 am
    5430 Northwest Hwy would be in Chicago- roughly 2 blocks north of Foster (5200).
  • Post #41 - May 29th, 2008, 5:29 am
    Post #41 - May 29th, 2008, 5:29 am Post #41 - May 29th, 2008, 5:29 am
    BrendanR wrote:
    Bah! I was hoping to scoop the board on this when it opened. I could walk it, too.

You still could. I don't normally drive that way. It's a race against time! A mid-pace, walked race!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #42 - June 2nd, 2008, 7:04 pm
    Post #42 - June 2nd, 2008, 7:04 pm Post #42 - June 2nd, 2008, 7:04 pm
    JD KAdd's sauce is woeful and weak. However, the brisket itself has proven to be worth the 15 minute drive. I just add my own favorite sauce to it.
  • Post #43 - August 17th, 2008, 6:46 am
    Post #43 - August 17th, 2008, 6:46 am Post #43 - August 17th, 2008, 6:46 am
    Smokeys is making progress

5481 NW Highway
    Map
    “Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.”
    George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright (1856-1950)
  • Post #44 - August 17th, 2008, 10:34 am
    Post #44 - August 17th, 2008, 10:34 am Post #44 - August 17th, 2008, 10:34 am
    G Wiv wrote:There are a few BBQ places in your general are. Of these listed, I have personally eaten at Uncle Bub's and Sweet Baby Ray's, both of which reach my personal minimum standard to be called BBQ and would do, in a pinch, for the BBQ deprived.

If I was you I would take EatChicago's advice and take the drive to Honey 1....

Call first to make sure they are open
    Uncle Bub's - Westmont
    Bar-B-Que Shack - St. Charles
    Sweet Baby Ray's - Wood Dale
    The Texan Bar-B-Q - Lombard
    Bobby Q's -- Allington Heights
    Salt Creek Barbecue -Elk Grove Village

For the geographically challenged, I note that both Honey One and Smoque are much closer to Des Plaines than Westmont, St. Charles or Lombard (all of which are more than 20 miles away). I do not recommend Bobby Q's or Salt Creek.

The best barbecue near Des Plaines may be at the Hyatt O'Hare. They cook it in a Southern Pride, so it isn't going to appeal to the purists, but the brisket and chicken were both nicely smoky with good texture. Skip the ribs.

linutink wrote:My girlfriend and I just enjoyed a terrific lunch at BBQ Shack in St. Charles.

This place is now Billy's Roadhouse. Supposedly they still do barbecue, though.
  • Post #45 - January 11th, 2018, 8:59 am
    Post #45 - January 11th, 2018, 8:59 am Post #45 - January 11th, 2018, 8:59 am
    nsxtasy wrote:Smoque is really, really easily accessible from the inbound Kennedy Expressway (Irving Park exit to Avondale; the map on their website makes it easy to follow). The stated criterion was 10-20 minutes from Des Plaines; if you're not driving during prime commuting times, Smoque is only about 8 minutes from the Tri-State/Kennedy/Northwest interchange, which means it's easily within the range specified. And despite my disappointment at the mediocre sides at Smoque, I think the barbecue items there are very good, especially if you enjoy barbecue with a strong smoke taste to it. You'll find more info in the separate topic on Smoque.

toria wrote:Sweet Baby Ray's in Wooddale is good.

Last year I attended a party catered by Sweet Baby Ray's and I thought it was quite good, too.

True. I was really surprised how close Smoque was after we moved to Des Plaines. We used to make the trip from Andersonville, but I think it's even closer now!

Surprised you don't like the sides. We LOVE the mac and cheese and the cobbler/bread pudding.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more