LTH Home

Langer's Pastrami, Los Angeles

Langer's Pastrami, Los Angeles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 28th, 2007, 4:19 pm
    Post #31 - February 28th, 2007, 4:19 pm Post #31 - February 28th, 2007, 4:19 pm
    JeffB wrote:The meats at Manny's and Langer's are not really comparable, as they are doing very different things (with Langer's meat being a prime filet to manny's tasty burger). Langer's pastrami should be compared with Katz's, and that's about it.

That said, I was just at Manny's for the first time in a long while, and the pastrami/CB mix I had (with a schmear of chopped liver, ordered on the side) was a damn fine sandwich. Bread is much better at Langer's than any of the above, but things such as chopped liver and pancackes are, IMO, sub-par there.

Each place is way cool, and since they are thousands of miles apart (albeit in strikingly similar parts of their respective cities), I don't get much value out of ranking them.

In that case, Jeff, I think that I have the perfect place for you.

It's called the Eastside Market, and I'll be sharing the details real soon...

:twisted:

E.M.
  • Post #32 - March 1st, 2007, 8:42 am
    Post #32 - March 1st, 2007, 8:42 am Post #32 - March 1st, 2007, 8:42 am
    "Each place is way cool, and since they are thousands of miles apart (albeit in strikingly similar parts of their respective cities), I don't get much value out of ranking them."

. . . and remember, Manny's is a Jewish cafeteria, one of the last of its kind (Shapiro's in Indianapolis, I understand, is another). Langer's pastrami is incomparable (and does anybody order anything else there nowadays?), but Manny's has many other qualities that make it unique to Chicago and worth a detour.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #33 - March 29th, 2007, 8:32 pm
    Post #33 - March 29th, 2007, 8:32 pm Post #33 - March 29th, 2007, 8:32 pm
    The photos of Langer's pastrami are fantastic! What kind of equipment was used to take them?

I'm downloading one of the photos and printing it out for my office.

I agree ... Langer's has the best deli pastrami, bar none. I've eaten their pastrami for more than fifty years!

But ... I know how to make pastrami every bit as good as Langer's, and perhaps even better. If anyone wants to do so, let me know and I'll Email you the recipe and complete instructions ... no charge.

It will cost about $20 or $25 for the beef brisket, spices, and curing salt to make $100 worth of pastrami.
  • Post #34 - March 31st, 2007, 11:45 am
    Post #34 - March 31st, 2007, 11:45 am Post #34 - March 31st, 2007, 11:45 am
    Please post the recipe. (I eat Langers about once a week now that I work in Downtown LA.)
    Let the wild rumpus start!
  • Post #35 - March 31st, 2007, 1:12 pm
    Post #35 - March 31st, 2007, 1:12 pm Post #35 - March 31st, 2007, 1:12 pm
    The recipe is too long to post. If you send me your Email address, I'll send it to you as an attachment.

Actually, I tried to send you the recipe, but the Email address you had listed on the website is no longer valid, so my Email was not delivered.
  • Post #36 - March 31st, 2007, 1:39 pm
    Post #36 - March 31st, 2007, 1:39 pm Post #36 - March 31st, 2007, 1:39 pm
    If it's really too long to fit into a single post, why not start a new thread in "Shopping and Cooking" and split it into a few posts in that thread?

I'm sure others would appreciate it.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #37 - March 31st, 2007, 2:08 pm
    Post #37 - March 31st, 2007, 2:08 pm Post #37 - March 31st, 2007, 2:08 pm
    Good suggestion, but I don't know how to do so! I guess I'll give it a try, however.
  • Post #38 - April 3rd, 2007, 10:40 pm
    Post #38 - April 3rd, 2007, 10:40 pm Post #38 - April 3rd, 2007, 10:40 pm
    There are others besides Langer's, Schwartz's, and Katz's for a similar style. I don't know where they all are, but, eg, Ben's Best in Rego Park, Queens, is kosher, excellent, and hand slices quality pastrami. I thought they were very comparable to Katz's. They're just not in Manhattan so they don't get the press Katz's or Carnegie's gets, I suspect.

I found Langer's pastrami decently sweeter than Katz's, but every bit as good. I thought that Langer's as a deli overall was better than Katz's. I think Katz's has probably jumped the shark more than once and it seemed that beyond the pastrami there wasn't much of a reason to go there. Wait, I take that back. Your boy in the army would be lucky to be sent a salami. The half sours aren't half bad, either.

But with Langer's I can go across the street and get a bacon-wrapped dog with grilled onions and jalapenos. Of course, with Katz's I can walk down the street to Yonah Schimmel's and get a knish or Russ & Daughters for some whitefish salad.
    Unintentionally retired early by the pandemic, but without the golden parachute.
    Formerly Mi Mero Mole
    Formerly Zapapizza
    Formerly Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen
    Artisan Jewish Deli at Home Cookbook
  • Post #39 - April 4th, 2007, 4:57 pm
    Post #39 - April 4th, 2007, 4:57 pm Post #39 - April 4th, 2007, 4:57 pm
    Jake's, don't forget Jake's.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #40 - April 4th, 2007, 5:11 pm
    Post #40 - April 4th, 2007, 5:11 pm Post #40 - April 4th, 2007, 5:11 pm
    Geo wrote:Jake's, don't forget Jake's.

Geo

Re: Jake's

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/jakes.html

E.M.
  • Post #41 - July 8th, 2007, 11:46 am
    Post #41 - July 8th, 2007, 11:46 am Post #41 - July 8th, 2007, 11:46 am
    Sad news for Langer's fans

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... obituaries
    Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Spaghetti and Meatballs! (Beauregard Burnside III)
  • Post #42 - July 20th, 2007, 4:47 pm
    Post #42 - July 20th, 2007, 4:47 pm Post #42 - July 20th, 2007, 4:47 pm
    Al Langer
    RIP

Three generations of Langers
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #43 - July 21st, 2007, 9:28 pm
    Post #43 - July 21st, 2007, 9:28 pm Post #43 - July 21st, 2007, 9:28 pm
    Here's a nice writeup I came across:

http://www.savethedeli.com/?p=279

I loved one of the responses to the article:

"I am sure that his love of deli foods did him no harm if he lived this long …

Maybe pastrami is, after all, a health food …

Couldn’t hurt …"
  • Post #44 - January 9th, 2017, 8:35 am
    Post #44 - January 9th, 2017, 8:35 am Post #44 - January 9th, 2017, 8:35 am
    jbw wrote:Langer's pastrami is incomparable (and does anybody order anything else there nowadays?)...
    some years ago my then 19yr old nephew ordered the spaghetti & meatballs to which the waitress ask "Do we even have that on the menu?" Can lead a horse to water.....

Just had Langer's pastrami sandwich this past weekend, still glorious.

FYI, if on the street parking isn't available, they do have a parking lot a block away that offers free parking if ticket is validated at the restaurant. This came in handy as this past Saturday the area around Langer's was packed with people/cars.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #45 - January 10th, 2017, 9:38 am
    Post #45 - January 10th, 2017, 9:38 am Post #45 - January 10th, 2017, 9:38 am
    While I love Langer's pastrami a few hundred miles up the coast one will find Mission Chinese and the fusion of all fusion.

Kung Pao Pastrami
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #46 - January 11th, 2017, 9:16 am
    Post #46 - January 11th, 2017, 9:16 am Post #46 - January 11th, 2017, 9:16 am
    G Wiv wrote:Kung Pao Pastrami
    I'd eat it. I can imagine pastrami stir fry in black pepper sauce would be delicious.

I've seen quite a number of burger joints in the greater LA area that serve pastrami on the burger as an option. Locally I just had the pastrami burger at Frato's in Schaumburg http://fratospizza.com/ the burger was double patty so the burger meat overwhelmed the pastrami flavor.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #47 - January 11th, 2017, 3:12 pm
    Post #47 - January 11th, 2017, 3:12 pm Post #47 - January 11th, 2017, 3:12 pm
    The kung pao pastrami at Mission Chinese is one of the best things I've ever eaten. I can't think of a dish more perfectly aligned with my palate.
  • Post #48 - January 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm
    Post #48 - January 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm Post #48 - January 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm
    If you like the pastrami burger (a SoCal thing by way of SLC, of all places to be the origin of excess), Three Greens here in Chicago (Hubbard & Orleans) has an Au Cheval burger topped with Dillman's (RIP) pastrami.
  • Post #49 - January 13th, 2017, 11:09 pm
    Post #49 - January 13th, 2017, 11:09 pm Post #49 - January 13th, 2017, 11:09 pm
    Not 100% sure but pretty sure that the term colossal is used to describe any L.A. sandwich topped with pastrami.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #50 - January 15th, 2017, 10:06 pm
    Post #50 - January 15th, 2017, 10:06 pm Post #50 - January 15th, 2017, 10:06 pm
    JeffB wrote:If you like the pastrami burger (a SoCal thing by way of SLC, of all places to be the origin of excess) . . .

My understanding is it's a Salt Lake City thing by way of Anaheim. About ten years ago, a very fine history of (though certainly not the last word on) the pastrami burger appeared in a Salt Lake City newspaper.

In Salt Lake City Weekly, Ted McDonough wrote:As for the invention of the pastrami burger, that story remains cloaked in some mystery. All agree the burger has its origins in California, somewhere near Anaheim, where, before there were Greek burger palaces in Utah, there were Utah Greeks living and flipping burgers in California.

JeffB wrote:. . . Three Greens here in Chicago (Hubbard & Orleans) has an Au Cheval burger topped with Dillman's (RIP) pastrami.

That sounds good. Is their fry sauce up to snuff?

ronnie_suburban wrote:Not 100% sure but pretty sure that the term colossal is used to describe any L.A. sandwich topped with pastrami.

I don't know very much about Los Angeles, but am curious about this. It certainly seems colossal burger often refers to a burger topped with pastrami (the term pastrami burger is common too), but is that true for sandwiches in general? It's hardly definitive, but a Google image search for colossal burger los angeles versus colossal sandwich los angeles left me wondering. It does sound somewhat familiar though. If someone could confirm this use of colossal, I'd be grateful. It's something I'd like to look into a little more.

Getting back to the topic of Langer's, on a years-ago visit I finally tried their most popular sandwich, the #19 – pastrami, Swiss cheese, coleslaw, Russian dressing.

I enjoyed my colossal Swiss cheese sandwich very much, but honestly I think I might prefer the perfect simplicity of Langer's unadorned pastrami sandwich.
  • Post #51 - February 14th, 2017, 9:51 am
    Post #51 - February 14th, 2017, 9:51 am Post #51 - February 14th, 2017, 9:51 am
    I normally have to hit up Langer's on visits to LA. On a recent trip, my brother introduced me to Wexler's. We visited the Santa Monica location. Meats and Fish smoked daily. I had a pastrami sandwich, hand cut, on rye with spicy brown mustard, dill pickle spear, and a chocolate phosphate to boot. Pretttttyyyy, pretty good. The included potato salad wasn't anything special.
    Wexler's Deli
    616 Santa Monica Blvd.
    Santa Monica, CA 90401
    http://www.wexlersdeli.com
    wexlers pastrami.png
    "And if you don't know, now you know." -BIG

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat