LTH Home

A Few Days in Los Angeles — Report

A Few Days in Los Angeles — Report
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - May 15th, 2014, 11:36 am
    - May 15th, 2014, 11:36 am Post #151 - May 15th, 2014, 11:36 am
    I headed to Tsujita LA for their highly touted tonkotsu ramen the other day after getting some solid thumbs-up reviews from Team RAB/REB awhile back.

Wow. This broth is a true beast! As I was shooting a photo of my bowl, within seconds a fatty sheath had formed on its surface. This is easily the richest/fattiest tonkotsu soup I've ever tried anywhere. Nuclear, really. If you eat an entire bowl like I did for lunch, be prepared to skip dinner.

Initially, I really wanted to dislike this effort as the broth was so completely over-the-top flavorful. But as I slurped along, its beautifully toothsome elegant hakata-style noodles, succulent chashu, and perfectly molten honjuku egg coupled with this intense broth made for a notable noodling experience. In the end, I came to the conclusion that you just had to respect the soup itself as it had both power as well as nuance.

Tsujita offers two kinds of tableside condiments: Beni-Shoga (red pickled ginger) and Karashi Takana (hot mustard leaf). The pickled mustard leaf being absolutely phenomenal but a completely unnecessary addition to an already aggressive ramen.

I'm really looking forward to returning to Tsujita and trying what seemed to be the crowd favorite there - the Tsukemen or dipping ramen. With the Tsukemen, you're more apt to regulate how much of this intense broth you really wanna take on.

Note the fatty film starting to form at the bottom of the bowl. Tsujita makes claims of boiling their pork bones for 60 hours.

Tsujita LA
    2057 Sawtelle Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    (310) 231-7373
    Last edited by PIGMON on June 10th, 2014, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more