LTH Home

Bed and Breakfasts/ Dining in Asheville North Carolina

Bed and Breakfasts/ Dining in Asheville North Carolina
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bed and Breakfasts/ Dining in Asheville North Carolina

Post #1 - December 15th, 2004, 3:07 pm
    Post #1 - December 15th, 2004, 3:07 pm Post #1 - December 15th, 2004, 3:07 pm
    Hi,

I'm sending my Mom and sister to Asheville NC in March of next year and looking at the choices of B&B houses is overwhelming! Many of the luxury packages include tickets to the Biltmore which is definietly on the list of things to do but is it worth $ 800 for three nights to stay at a B&B? They have jacuzzi's and all the amenities of a hotel. I've never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before. The Holiday Inn Asheville looks just as nice for a cheaper price.
    Also, what is a local specality of Asheville in terms of dining out? What are they known for? Any good rec's of resturants? Thanks for any responses. :D
  • Post #2 - December 15th, 2004, 3:26 pm
    Post #2 - December 15th, 2004, 3:26 pm Post #2 - December 15th, 2004, 3:26 pm
    Been many years since I was in Asheville, but the Biltmore is a must. Grove Park Inn isn't exactly a B&B (too big), but it's nationally (maybe internationally) famous for its collection of Stickley and other Mission-style furniture. As far as B&Bs go, have you checked TripAdvisor.com?
  • Post #3 - December 15th, 2004, 4:32 pm
    Post #3 - December 15th, 2004, 4:32 pm Post #3 - December 15th, 2004, 4:32 pm
    Asheville got hit with a nasty double whammy from two hurricanes this past season and many businesses are no longer there (including a restaurant owned by a friend of mine) due to some serious flooding.

I would highly suggest calling to confirm anything you might find on the internet.
    I exist in Chicago, but I live in New Orleans.
  • Post #4 - December 15th, 2004, 8:05 pm
    Post #4 - December 15th, 2004, 8:05 pm Post #4 - December 15th, 2004, 8:05 pm
    I was in Asheville this summer, but before the hurricanes. The town is really interesting. We just came in to check it out and have lunch. The downtown has a surprising hippy feel. Not sure where that comes from, but I assume there is a university nearby.

It is a good-sized city so I assume all of the usual chain lodging places are available, though we didn't stay the night. I'm not a big B&B guy but some people love that stuff. Give me a Red Roof Inn any day.

The place we stumbled upon for lunch was fantastic, just some of the best food I have had, ever. Creative, inexpensive, fresh and absolutely delicious. It's right in the center of downtown so I doubt it was flooded out. It's a small place, nothing fancy, but they do have beer and wine in addition to awesome food.

The specialty is these platters that combine a number of different dishes and flavors, so there's meat and beans and vegetables and fruit, not exactly mixed together but cleverly arranged so you taste something different with every bite. They call it Mexican/Caribbean but where I've had anything similar it has been billed as Cuban.

I am delighted to be able to recommend this place to someone. Can you tell?

Salsa Mexican Caribbean Restaurant
    6 Patton Ave.
    Asheville, NC
    252-9805

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide