LTH Home

Two Days in Kansas City, what are your "don't miss" places?

Two Days in Kansas City, what are your "don't miss" places?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - August 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm
    - August 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm Post #31 - August 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm
    Ursiform wrote:Another spot at this intersection we were unable to try due to being closed was Dixon's Famous Chili. Next time, I'll be sure to check hours before trying to go someplace. I was very disappointed at not being able to eat here and have it high on my priority list for our next visit.

I'd keep Dixon's on your need-to-do-it-once list. I'm glad I went but don't find myself craving more, at least not right away.

Instead of a bowl of red, Dixon's serves up a plate of brown. Basically it's minimally seasoned ground beef that can be customized in many ways. First choice is with or without beans. Then decide if you want it dry or moistened with bean broth, beef grease, or both. You can order your broth and grease on the side if desired. Accompaniments such as chopped onion, grated cheese, jalapeño relish (excellent!) or sour cream can also be ordered. Bottles of chili powder and pepper vinegar are on the counter.

That's a large regular—meaning with beans—plus a bit of bean water and beef grease already added. Our server couldn't have been sweeter and was concerned that my first Dixon's experience should be optimal. She even brought me extra bowls of beef fat and bean water.

Since I'd already ordered my chili greased and wetted this was overkill, to put it mildly. Still, I poured it on. With all those extras, it's possible to come up with a pretty tasty bowl. It might not be great chili but it's certainly a fascinating regional style. Have a look at stevez's post on Fritz's for a similar place.

Dixon's Chili Parlor
    9105 US Route 40
    Independence MO
    816-861-7308
    http://dixonschili.com/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles