LTH Home

Desperate in Des Moines

Desperate in Des Moines
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - August 29th, 2014, 12:36 pm
    Post #61 - August 29th, 2014, 12:36 pm Post #61 - August 29th, 2014, 12:36 pm
    Acting on a tip from Jim Duncan, walking encyclopedia of Iowa food and nice guy, we visited the Lamb Foodstand at the Iowa State Fair. Folks from the Iowa Sheep Industry Association grill lamb right outside the Fair's fine old Sheep Barn, within easy sniffing distance of its inhabitants. Eaters get a reminder of where their food comes from and the animals get a preview of how they may end up.

The "Greek pita sandwich," with tender slices of real leg-o' is in a different universe than gyros shaved from a Gyrokone™. Some of the best lamb I've had in a long time, maybe even worth waiting a year for.

Lamb Foodstand
    Iowa Sheep Industry Association
    Iowa State Fair—Sheep Barn
    Des Moines IA
  • Post #62 - September 1st, 2014, 4:42 pm
    Post #62 - September 1st, 2014, 4:42 pm Post #62 - September 1st, 2014, 4:42 pm
    Rene G wrote:animals get a preview of how they may end up.

So that they might think upon their sins? Memento mori. :lol:

I met Duncan earlier this summer. He knows a lot.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #63 - September 1st, 2014, 6:46 pm
    Post #63 - September 1st, 2014, 6:46 pm Post #63 - September 1st, 2014, 6:46 pm
    HA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of something my mother used to say, definitely less than half joking: "You just sit there, and think about your sins."
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #64 - September 1st, 2014, 7:24 pm
    Post #64 - September 1st, 2014, 7:24 pm Post #64 - September 1st, 2014, 7:24 pm
    Katie wrote:HA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of something my mother used to say, definitely less than half joking: "You just sit there, and think about your sins."

Your mother sounds like a wise woman.

When I heard about Quinn's proposal to beef up the Chicago-St.Louis train, I thought: you have my vote.

I actually met the Governor at Taste of Melrose Park last Friday. I wished him luck in the election, and he said, with a self-consciously self-deprecating laugh, "Thanks. I'll need it."
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #65 - September 10th, 2014, 8:57 pm
    Post #65 - September 10th, 2014, 8:57 pm Post #65 - September 10th, 2014, 8:57 pm
    East 14th St. Winnebago Tacos

Winnebagos were originally manufactured in Forest City in Northern Iowa. Their promotional video outtakes featuring some guy who went on to become known only as Winnebago Man lead to a documentary movie a few years ago. Therefore the tacos from these rv's must be extra Iowan in flavor.

ImageTaqueria Veracruz Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr

Taqueria Veracruz is parked in front of a Liquor store, and its frequently busy. Like most taco trucks in Des Moines it faces north.

ImageMenu Taqueria Veracruz Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr
    They remade their menu board with new tropical rounded lettering that reminds me of my time in warmer places. It might seem like a minor detail but choosing the right lettering for a menu board can really make or break a place. The palm trees remind me of my own time in the tropics.

ImageCabeza Tacos from Taqueria Veracruz Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr

Cabeza Tacos for two dollars each, rich fatty beef with simple onions cilantro and lime wedge.

ImageLa Barca Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa. by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr
    Further north on East 14th st is La Barca Tacos, with a sign reading Birria Al Estilo Jalisco MX. This picture from behind really shows the convenience of the Winnebago door which opens into some kind of Birria zone.

ImageBirria Tacos from La Barca Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa. by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr
    This is the star of the menu, birria tacos for $1.75 each, with tortillas dipped in the stew to absorb juices before being grilled.

ImageLa Barca Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr
    Nothing wets the appetite like a giant eagle eating a snake graphic.

Taqueria Veracruz
    1372 E. 14th St
    Des Moines

La Barca
    3301 E 14th St.
    Des Moines
  • Post #66 - September 16th, 2014, 1:27 pm
    Post #66 - September 16th, 2014, 1:27 pm Post #66 - September 16th, 2014, 1:27 pm
    Good stuff Tyrgyzistan. Your posts in this thread have shown us Chicago folk there's other reasons to visit Des Moines than just watching Kris Bryant crush baseballs into the cornfields. From the pics of those Winnebago based taco trucks it looks as though DM has a couple types of taco culture going on. Driving up to KC with jimswside this past July I had to try the puffy variety.

Locals Cult Favorite

Regular readers know I love to try the old school "American-Mexican" places as I call them. There's both history and unique to the house recipes that these places push. Tasty Tacos is a local chain but they're no different from what I just described. The namesake tacos are what they're known for. Made with flour these weren't quite San Antonio style puffy tacos but more like a cross breed of both them and an Indian frybread taco from what I could taste. The ground beef was pretty bland but the 1970's salsa took it up a notch. I'm not jonesing to go back but have a feeling I would if stopping thru. Maybe I'll catch baseballs next big thing this upcoming May before he's playing at Clark and Addison the rest of the way. Though I might of missed my shot.

Tasty Taco

Tasty Tacos
    1418 E Grand Ave
    Des Moines, IA 50316
    (515) 266-4242
  • Post #67 - October 26th, 2014, 2:33 pm
    Post #67 - October 26th, 2014, 2:33 pm Post #67 - October 26th, 2014, 2:33 pm
    For a completely different type of taco in Des Moines, try Tacopocalypse at 407 E 5th St in Des Moines, in the East Village neighborhood, just east of downtown. The wasabi brisket is my favorite.

http://tacopocalypse.com/evmenu/

• Post #68 - October 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm
    Post #68 - October 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm Post #68 - October 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm
    Smokey D's, a local barbecue restaurant here just won the Jack Daniels Championship as best barbecue in the country

http://www.jackdanielsbarbecuemedia.com/news

Here's a link to their website

http://www.smokeydsbbq.com/
  • Post #69 - October 28th, 2014, 12:45 pm
    Post #69 - October 28th, 2014, 12:45 pm Post #69 - October 28th, 2014, 12:45 pm
    Is it too early to declare a Best New Restaurant of The Year? What if its only the Best New Restaurant of the year, as it applies to ethnic dives on the east side of Des Moines. Its not like any more restaurants are going to start up just before the cold weather blows in and business drops off for the winter.

Enter El Rincón Catracho, taking over an taco house building that had been eternally changing hands over the years. The previous owners, as in owners with an s because we are talking several in succession, had painted the outside in the loudest possible combination of mexican colors. The latest owners have repainted everything blue and white, and even bought one single souvenir that says "honduras" to staple onto the wall.

Did you know that people from Honduras refer to themselves as Catrachos? How about that Rincon roughly translates to "hidden spot", similar to "recanto" in portuguese language restaurant names. There are Rincón Catrachos scattered about the country serving comida hondureña to the people who can find it.

Baleadas are the super simple tortilla foldovers filled with beans, crema, and some form of meat with avocado optional:

Enchiladas Catrachas, the Honduran version of tostadas. These were simple fried tortillas with meat and toppings:

Pastelitos de Carne Molida y Arroz, empanadas filled with rice and ground beef, topped with the special cabbage:

They also have dishes with your choice of meat served over bananas, and half of the menu is mexican classics.

El Rincón Catracho
    3310 E. 14th St.
    Des Moines, Iowa
  • Post #70 - December 29th, 2014, 3:55 pm
    Post #70 - December 29th, 2014, 3:55 pm Post #70 - December 29th, 2014, 3:55 pm
    The Official Unofficial Restaurant of the Year award goes to Abelardo's Mexican Restaurant of Des Moines and Omaha. In the few years since starting in Omaha, along with look-alike restaurant chain Lina's Mexican Food in both cities, have opened about thirteen locations with at least two more in the pipeline.

Carne Asada Tacos:

Lengua Tacos:
    Several choices available just are not easy to find in Central Iowa, and not nearly as convenient or fast at other places. The tacos are described as giant on the menu, and are prices from $2.29 to $2.89 You have to be some kind of eating contest champion to eat more than three of these at once. Totally overloaded with meats, a little sauce and salsa on some.

Shredded Beef Tacos:
    Shredded beef with tacos hardened and fried to a nice brown.

The experience is a cross between the classic West Coast Taqueria, and Midwestern fast food franchises. Giant hunks of meat are pulled of the Swift truck and treated in marinades and made on site, peppers are roasted on the grill in huge batches to make the salsa. Several items on the big menu are total stinkers, the ground beef is especially tasteless.

The Adobado plate:
    Super gigantic combo meals are pushed by the menu, coming in at a range of six to nine dollars. The correct way to approach to Adobado plate is to fold up the plate like a giant styrofoam taco and pour the chunks of pork into your mouth.

Chorizo plate:

Old Hardees Building:
    The story of Abelardo's and Linas is also one of urban revitalization, reuse, and renewal. The two have reopened closed restaurant spots that were former homes of Hardees, Maid Rite (twice), Sonic Drive-In, B-Bops Drive-In, and a classic Spanish Mission style Taco Bell Building. Some of these spots had more than one failed tenant after the original franchise closed. They might be renovating an old Long John Silvers building right now.

Abelardos Mexican Restaurant
    2510 Ingersoll Ave
    Des Moines, IA 50312
    10 locations, at least two more on the way. Lina's Mexican Food has 3 locations and near identical food and menu.
  • Post #71 - May 7th, 2015, 8:45 am
    Post #71 - May 7th, 2015, 8:45 am Post #71 - May 7th, 2015, 8:45 am
    attending an upcoming graduation party in Carrol, IA.. Staying in West Des Moines - basically 1 day of eating spread over 2 lunches (Sat & Sun) - got a few spots lined up, just missing a final rec. for a good pork tenderloin in the Des Moines area - gotta have 1.

-Had B & B's, thought their pork tenderloin was average to weak.

- Hearing Smitty's Tenderloins best days are behind them - using a frozen product?

- How is Nicks on Army Post road?

- or Kellys Little Nipper - like the looks of their hot sausage sandwich as well.

Someplace else?

appreciated.

Got plans to hit Maccabees Kosher Deli for a Sunday morning corned beef sandwich, I see it was mentioned upthread - worth the visit.?

Need an early dinner for coming back on a Sunday - might just roll trough Cedar Rapids.
    Last edited by jimswside on May 7th, 2015, 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #72 - May 7th, 2015, 9:21 am
    Post #72 - May 7th, 2015, 9:21 am Post #72 - May 7th, 2015, 9:21 am
    jimswside wrote:Someplace else?

I have family in Omaha, so I make the trek across I-80 fairly often. Of all the places I've stopped along the way, LT Organic Farm and Clinic was the most interesting. I have no idea why the roadside sign piqued our interest - maybe it was a gut reaction to all the heavy Midwestern food we had been eating - but it was one of the most satisfying plates of home cooked Indian food I've ever eaten. At a picnic table. On a family-run CSA farm. A Yelper mentioned that the farm is run by a doctor and his family who moved from Chicago. Seems about right. It's about $17 for a plate of whatever they are serving that day.

If you need a break from the tenderloins and are into digging into some fresh chicken masala while you watch the siblings of the chickens you're eating run around, then this place is totally worth it.

I know laikom took photos, and I thought he posted about it somewhere here ... but I guess not. Here are our photos from July 2010:

34617_403213502786_4494691_n.jpg

13453_403213487786_4046982_n.jpg much better than an I-80 truck stop ...

34290_403213537786_3411425_n.jpg

33423_403213607786_3638215_n.jpg the family

35709_403213622786_4248880_n.jpg fresh chicken!

LT Organic Farm and Clinic
    32513 Ute Ave, Waukee, IA 50263
    (515) 987-3561
    http://ltorganicfarm.org/?page_id=33
    The internet mentions that the farm is open seasonally, so it is worth a call before you go. It is only about a half mile off I-80.

edited to add photos and a link to the website
    Last edited by Teresa on May 7th, 2015, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    The meal isn't over when I'm full; the meal is over when I hate myself. - Louis C.K.
  • Post #73 - May 7th, 2015, 9:32 am
    Post #73 - May 7th, 2015, 9:32 am Post #73 - May 7th, 2015, 9:32 am
    jimswside wrote:Got plans to hit Maccabees Kosher Deli for a Sunday morning corned beef sandwich, I see it was mentioned upthread - worth the visit.?

Maccabees is definitely worth it - went there while on a business trip in DM and it was very good - this was a couple of years ago though.

Here is a link - http://order.letsorderonline.com/display/menu/maccabees
  • Post #74 - May 7th, 2015, 9:34 am
    Post #74 - May 7th, 2015, 9:34 am Post #74 - May 7th, 2015, 9:34 am
    Teresa wrote:

I have family in Omaha, so I make the trek across I-80 fairly often. Of all the places I've stopped along the way, LT Organic Farm and Clinic was the most interesting. I have no idea why the roadside sign piqued our interest - maybe it was a gut reaction to all the heavy Midwestern food we had been eating - but it was one of the most satisfying plates of home cooked Indian food I've ever eaten. At a picnic table. On a family-run CSA farm. A Yelper mentioned that the farm is run by a doctor and his family who moved from Chicago. Seems about right. It's about $17 for a plate of whatever they are serving that day.

If you need a break from the tenderloins and are into digging into some fresh chicken masala while you watch the siblings of the chickens you're eating run around, then this place is totally worth it.

I know laikom took photos, and I thought he posted about it somewhere here ... but I guess not. I'll have him follow up.

LT Organic Farm and Clinic
    32513 Ute Ave, Waukee, IA 50263
    (515) 987-3561
    The internet mentions that the farm is open seasonally, so it is worth a call before you go. It is only about a half mile off I-80.

right on,

I saw this place when I was researching - not sure it will work schedule wise this trip - though it just might, but it looked really interesting.

http://ltorganicfarm.org/?page_id=33
  • Post #75 - May 7th, 2015, 12:49 pm
    Post #75 - May 7th, 2015, 12:49 pm Post #75 - May 7th, 2015, 12:49 pm
    Need an early dinner for coming back on a Sunday - might just roll trough Cedar Rapids.

Closer than Cedar Rapids is little Oxford. I wouldn't drive that far on I-80 without stopping at the Augusta Restaurant in Oxford. We will be stopping weekend after this on our trip out to see our son graduate in Grinnell. Chef Ben Halperin keeps on making some good food.
  • Post #76 - May 7th, 2015, 6:21 pm
    Post #76 - May 7th, 2015, 6:21 pm Post #76 - May 7th, 2015, 6:21 pm
    jimswside wrote: party in Carrol, IA.. Staying in West Des Moines

The new tenderloin in Carrol is at the confusing named BS's 529 Bar in a building with the words Don's Place on the front.

The new tenderloin in Central Iowa is at the Brick St Market and Grill in Bondurant.

They have taken a bite out of Smitty's traffic, and their tenderloin recipe comes from the Townhouse Supper Club in tiny Wellsburg Iowa. They have a full bar and a bigger menu with pizza and italian beef sandwiches.

- Hearing Smitty's Tenderloins best days are behind them - using a frozen product?

Smitty's is the same as its ever been, big and wide and thin and very crunchy, they bread their tenderloins then freeze them and sell a giant freezer full of them every day.

- or Kellys Little Nipper - like the looks of their hot sausage sandwich as well.

KLN changed management a few years ago and some younger kids took over from an old family. They changed some things but it was always just a neighborhood dive. Tons of bars serve Graziano sausage sandwiches but KLN has an extra big one.

Got plans to hit Maccabees Kosher Deli for a Sunday morning corned beef sandwich, I see it was mentioned upthread - worth the visit.?

Maccabees has a cult following and it might be locally famous for so many people just driving past in the neighborhood and never stopping in.
  • Post #77 - May 7th, 2015, 8:26 pm
    Post #77 - May 7th, 2015, 8:26 pm Post #77 - May 7th, 2015, 8:26 pm
    jimswside wrote:attending an upcoming graduation party in Carrol, IA.. Staying in West Des Moines - basically 1 day of eating spread over 2 lunches (Sat & Sun) - got a few spots lined up, just missing a final rec. for a good pork tenderloin in the Des Moines area - gotta have 1.

-Had B & B's, thought their pork tenderloin was average to weak.

Someplace else?

appreciated.

Can't tell you much about the BPT's. As a transplanted Chicagoan, I've never quite figured out the allure. I've heard good things about Nick's....I've only had the Italian Beef there....it's decent, but it's not a real Chicago beef sandwich.

As for Maccabee's, it's alright......all the products are New York style, as opposed to Chicago style, and I definitely prefer Chicago style corned beef and pastrami. I guess it's what I grew up on. The Lubavitch rabbi who runs the place is extremely talkative; very friendly....but, I prefer to just eat in peace. But there's no other kosher (or even kosher style) deli in town, so it's your best option for a corned beef sandwich.
  • Post #78 - May 8th, 2015, 5:18 am
    Post #78 - May 8th, 2015, 5:18 am Post #78 - May 8th, 2015, 5:18 am
    Thanks folks for the Intel on the choices for the BPT, Only gonna have one so want one of their better representations.
  • Post #79 - May 12th, 2015, 7:13 am
    Post #79 - May 12th, 2015, 7:13 am Post #79 - May 12th, 2015, 7:13 am
    ex-chicago wrote:
    As for Maccabee's, it's alright......all the products are New York style, as opposed to Chicago style, and I definitely prefer Chicago style corned beef and pastrami. I guess it's what I grew up on. The Lubavitch rabbi who runs the place is extremely talkative; very friendly....but, I prefer to just eat in peace. But there's no other kosher (or even kosher style) deli in town, so it's your best option for a corned beef sandwich.

the rabbi running the spot is extremely friendly and talkative as you mentioned. Corned beef was forgettable - rye bread was brilliant. Latkes were good.

glad we stopped.
  • Post #80 - May 12th, 2015, 7:57 am
    Post #80 - May 12th, 2015, 7:57 am Post #80 - May 12th, 2015, 7:57 am
    Quick shot out west as I mentioned - had a hard time not jut continuing on to Denver as I was so far west. :wink:

Stopped in Pella on the way west -

Grabbed some bologna and snack sticks from In't Veld,s:

In't Veld's Meat Market
    820 Main Street
    Pella, IA

http://intvelds.com/

was hoping to get some baked goods I had ordered earlier in the week but the town was a madhouse - Tulip Days.

also grabbed a bologna & fried egg sandwich from one of the about 20 food carts set up - all run by local churchs/orginizations (anything from bologna sandwiches to bologna tacos).

decent - Pella bologna is more salami like than say a Daisy veal bologna I eat around home. - Still good - Ive got some slice to fry up.

Rolled into Des Moines around 1pm - Headed right to the spot that was 1 or 2 on my must hits - Henry J's Tacos:

hole in the wall joint - puffy, deep fried style tacos - :

couple of older ladies running the show - these were really good - deep fried with a slit cut into them where the lettuce and cheese were added - beef and beans inside. I thought these smoked the tacos at Tasty Tacos

Henry J's Taco House
    2920 SW 9th Street
    Des Moines, IA.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henry-Js ... 6087946054

I had seen some photos of a spot doing Chinese BBQ, I know - Des Moines? Looked good so we stopped in to Le's Chinese BBQ

snapped up some "crispy pork" - aka lechon -

fantastic, some of the best lechon I have had - tooth cracking crispy skin.

looked to be a charsiu type pork - alright -

fatty and nice - pretty solid spot

Le's Chinese BBQ
    1600 2nd Ave.
    Des Moines, IA.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Les- ... 8678394694

Random classic theatre time - Ingersoll Theater - 1938

Ingersoll Theater
    3711 Ingersoll Ave.
    Des Moines, IA.

High on the list of places I wanted to go in Des Moines - the High Life Lounge was at the top:

Right down the street from where the Iowa Cubs play - the bar was packed pregame on Sunday - enjoyed a pony and a Beam -

They also had NBA Jam - so those quarters came in handy(I was "on fire"). Respectable Pot roast, Broaster Chicken was not - never had dry broasted chicken - No worries - there to drink - Really cool old school bar.

High Life Lounge
    200 SW 2nd Street
    Des Moines, IA.

http://thehighlifelounge.com/

Realized I had not had a Tenderloin at this point and gave it a shot at Kelly's Little Nipper -

Shady little spot - out of tenderloins - guy hadnt had a chance to pound out any more - all good - cold beers and good people watching. Grill area is behind the bar so I did get so see one of their sausage sandwiches put together - looked like a Freddie. Didnt get a tenderloin on this trip - no worries.

Kellys Little Nipper
    1701 E. Grand Ave.
    Des Moines, IA.

Had fun, but way to short of a visit.
  • Post #81 - May 12th, 2015, 9:02 am
    Post #81 - May 12th, 2015, 9:02 am Post #81 - May 12th, 2015, 9:02 am
    Looks like a fun trip!! What was the side dish served with the tacos that looks like noodles? Can't figure it out :D
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #82 - May 12th, 2015, 9:04 am
    Post #82 - May 12th, 2015, 9:04 am Post #82 - May 12th, 2015, 9:04 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:Looks like a fun trip!! What was the side dish served with the tacos that looks like noodles? Can't figure it out :D

lol, I knew someone would catch that. She called it Fideo - it was like spaghetti but with salsa replacing marianara.?
  • Post #83 - May 12th, 2015, 9:10 am
    Post #83 - May 12th, 2015, 9:10 am Post #83 - May 12th, 2015, 9:10 am
    LOL--I use fideo (basically, like you said, it's Mexican spaghetti--though it's more like broken angel hair) in soups--I've never used it that way. It kinda looked like sesame noodles or something. The never ending cultural variations on basic themes, right?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #84 - May 20th, 2015, 12:26 pm
    Post #84 - May 20th, 2015, 12:26 pm Post #84 - May 20th, 2015, 12:26 pm
    jimswside wrote:...but the town was a madhouse - Tulip Days.

Thanks for the warning; I'll be sure to avoid Pella during the Tulip Time festival. Your post reminded me I never reported on a short visit to Pella a couple years ago.

Especially considering its population of 10,000, Pella has a remarkable group of historic Dutch-influenced businesses, including a couple butcher shops (now sadly down to one) and a couple bakeries located on the pretty town square.

I greatly enjoyed Ulrich's Meat Market and was shocked to hear this Pella institution, in business since 1868 (!), closed permanently at the end of 2014.

Pella bologna, the local sausage similar to summer sausage, was produced in staggering variety.

Ulrich's made sandwiches to take away, including this bologna beauty that I liked a lot.

They also made other interesting specialty meats such as dried beef and pork shoulder bacon, both of which I thought were top notch.

Image Image

It's truly sad this fine old business is no longer with us.

If bologna is Pella's signature meat, then Dutch letters are their signature sweet. These almond paste-filled puff pastry tubes can be found at both Pella bakeries. I got some at Jaarsma Bakery, which opened in 1899 and is still run by the Jaarsma family.

Image Image

If you like marzipan you'll probably like the letters, but better yet might be Andre's filled cookies (gevuld koekje), packed with even more almond paste.

Image Image

I tried a few things at Vander Ploeg Bakery (over a century old) but one that stands out is this barely-sweet raisin bun (krentenbollen).

When I was at Ulrich's I didn't realize these rolls are often used for dried beef and/or Gouda cheese sandwiches. I understand that In't Veld's Meat Market (a mere 75 years old) still makes these sandwiches, so I haven't missed my chance forever.

Ulrich's Meat Market (closed)
    715 Franklin St
    Pella IA

Jaarsma Bakery
    727 Franklin St
    Pella IA
    641-628-2940

Vander Ploeg Bakery
    711 Franklin St
    Pella IA
    641-628-2293

In't Veld's Meat Market
    820 Main St
    Pella IA
    641-628-3440
  • Post #85 - July 20th, 2015, 3:58 pm
    Post #85 - July 20th, 2015, 3:58 pm Post #85 - July 20th, 2015, 3:58 pm
    The Changing Face of Taco Trucks in Des Moines

The talking chihuahua told me one of the oldest and original taco trucks was back on the scene after a couple years away. But a couple new taco trucks had opened this summer, and a couple old ones never came back after winter:

The gas station next to the place where the intercity bus lines stop is home to the newest Taco Truck on the block, Taqueria Express.

Al Pastor Tacos

Al Pastor Quesadillas, a nice big disc of cheese and pork.

A couple months after opening they spraycan stenciled some more graphics to spell Tacos Express, above the stickers that read Taco Express

The empty parking lot beside the used appliance warehouse was home to Tacos Jerez last summer, but this summer it is home to Tacos La Papa. La Papa doesn't have any potatoes on the menu, I think the cook's nickname is Papa. Anyway

What they called "discada" quesadillas, mixed meat with peppers and onions.

La Papa's birria tacos

Taking the old hand painted letters and plastering over a graphic of a potato head guy in a sombrero.

The old man of Des Moines Taco Trucks is Taqueria Guadalajara, operating since "about 2006" or earlier. Taqueria Guadalajara spent the past couple of years doing only events and catering, previously based at 725 E Univeristy Ave, but returning this summer to its previous location beside the Honda dealership on the North Side. Zorro is the nickname of the owner, and the eponymous soccer team mascot painted on the side of the trailer.
    The menu claims its specialy is Tortas Ahogadas.

The tacos dorados de papas, fried tacos with mashed potatoes inside, topped with lettuce cheese and tomatoes.

The old Taqueria Guadalajara spot is now occupied by Taqueria Veracruz, The old Taqueria Veracruz spot is now occupied by Taco Loco Kings, who cook inside the gas station, La Barca Taco Truck moved behind a Casey's General Store, beside a Dollar General on the intersection of E 14th and Euclid, while its location was filled by Tacos El Asadero. Tacos Jerez moved to East Grand, then disappeared. The Taco Trucks also appear with some very informal vendors at a "Tianguis" outside the dead mall on the South Side of Des Moines. The talking chihuahua also told me I was using the wrong setting on my camera, now I have to take all the photos again.

You can follow the Des Moines Taco Trucks project at:
    http://tinyurl.com/DSMTacoTrucks

Taqueria Guadalajara
    1605 Euclid beside the Honda shop
    Des Moines, Iowa
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taqueria ... 0315435800

Tacos La Papa
    1638 E University
    Des Moines, Iowa
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tacos-La ... 9044763781

Taqueria Express
    1443 2nd Ave beside Star Station
    Des Moines, Iowa
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taqueria ... 8161389052
  • Post #86 - February 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am
    Post #86 - February 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am Post #86 - February 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am
    Long time Valley Junction fixture Donut King is being evicted to make way for strip malls, and its old owner with his notoriously grumpy and sarcastic disposition has a go fund me page to see if anyone wants to help him find a new place. Maybe he should have been nicer to all the first time customers who wanted to pay with debit cards, maybe Lou could have renovated the sign, or caught on to the super luxury donut trend in the past few years instead of making $0.95 donuts. Either way things don't look good for one of the last old places in West Des Moines.
    Ninety five cent donuts, they also serve coffee
    https://www.gofundme.com/uvpsmfec

At the opposite end of suburban Des Moines, Alohana Hawaiian Grill seems to be churning out the Hawaiian comfort food in a low key atmosphere in between the big box stores in Ankeny.

The BBQ Combo plate, with the required two scoops of rice and macaroni salad.

Classic loco moco

Donut King
    220 Grand Ave.
    West Des Moines

Alohana Hawaiian Grill
    802 SE Oralabor Rd
    Ankeny
  • Post #87 - February 22nd, 2016, 11:41 am
    Post #87 - February 22nd, 2016, 11:41 am Post #87 - February 22nd, 2016, 11:41 am
    That's got to be the smallest serving of loco moco I've ever seen. :wink:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #88 - February 22nd, 2016, 11:52 am
    Post #88 - February 22nd, 2016, 11:52 am Post #88 - February 22nd, 2016, 11:52 am
    stevez wrote:That's got to be the smallest serving of loco moco I've ever seen. :wink:

Well, at least it's cute. :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #89 - December 26th, 2016, 3:03 pm
    Post #89 - December 26th, 2016, 3:03 pm Post #89 - December 26th, 2016, 3:03 pm
    2016 Des Moines year in review, a tale of two Latin breakfast spots.

I don't usually go out for breakfast, I never get up early enough and I don't get into the whole brunch thing. But I do like to eat lunch early and if a place is open when I am driving past in the morning I will stop in and if they serve breakfast all day its a plus as far as I am concerned. A couple Latin cafes opened this year, one after the other in the same spot and each one had killer breakfast at drop dead prices. In fact, I think the low prices may have been part of the reason the first one went out of business. Or maybe its because this corner is a dead zone after six in the evening.

Around April of 2016 a new tenant opened up in a run down restaurant location with frequent turnover. This was Mi Rinconcito Mexicano.

The Chorizo and egg breakfast close-up

Huevos mexicanos.

The huarache with carne asada.

Then one day I was driving past and I noticed a different banner, from the same printer that makes these for every Latin restaurant in town, with a different name. Now its El Salvadoreño Restaurante with a menu of Salvadoran foods and very simple breakfasts.

This was the first breakfast on the menu and its a cooked plantain with casamento (rice and beans) with cheese, crema, and tortillas.

The stewed pork or carne cerdo lunch with onions and peppers and casamento with french fries.

Salvadoran enchiladas, with orange coloring on the bottom layer, topped with beans, cheese, and avo.

Mi Rinconcito Mexicano (closed)
    2728 2nd Ave,
    Des Moines, IA 50313

El Salvadoreño Restaurante
    2728 2nd Ave,
    Des Moines, IA 50313
  • Post #90 - December 27th, 2016, 9:47 pm
    Post #90 - December 27th, 2016, 9:47 pm Post #90 - December 27th, 2016, 9:47 pm
    Hi,

Wasn't 2728 2nd Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313 the location of Tamales Industry first location?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more