LTH Home

Desperate in Des Moines

Desperate in Des Moines
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - December 1st, 2010, 12:07 pm
    - December 1st, 2010, 12:07 pm Post #31 - December 1st, 2010, 12:07 pm
    jjbinfl wrote:IMO, if you talk about local favorites you have to go to B&B Grocery, Meat & Deli. They've been around forever and happen to have some of the best burgers you'll ever eat! I'm addicted. In fact, I'm also addicted to their breaded tenderloins. They're much better than Smity's!!!

One-post jjbinfl speaks the truth. As does LTHer Tyrgyzistan in his Des-Loines blog. I was just in Des Moines for a day and made it to B&B Grocery for a monster tenderloin washed down with Mexican Fresca. To be honest, B&B aside, Des Moines was more depressing than I'd hoped. I chalk it up to post-holiday, bad weather, early week doldrums. B&B's energy, the exceedingly welcoming and friendly staff (I honestly thought they were messing with me at first) and the great food stood out all the more. B&B is like Des Moines' Bari, Riv, Tenuta's, Freddy's, Manny's, etc. Lots of old timers and regulars shooting the bull in a real old-timey butcher shop (since '22) and general sundries store with some Italian items and some Mexican to reflect the changing demographics of the neighborhood. A counter with a few stools completes the picture. I dug reading the original Des Moines Register coverage of Bonnie & Clyde Barrow's local exploits and downfall, lacquered and stuck to the counter. This was an audible at the line when Kelly's Little Nipper (documented by Da Beef and others) was closed up tight. I'm no tenderloin super fan, but I did appreciate the expertly-fried schnitzel of tender white meat on a cheap burger bun that circumscribed a comically small subset of the massive cutlet. The hamburgers and deli sandwiches looked outstanding as well. To make things a tad healthier, a buck-fifty side of 3 terrific deviled eggs rounded it off.

Also ate at Fong's chinese pizza. Liked the vibe, the tropical drinks were OK, the crust on the pie a not-bad tavern style, but I found the Chinese fast food toppings plain nasty.

No LTHer should visit Des Moines without stopping by B&B.

http://www.bbgrocerymeatdeli.com/

B&B Grocery Meat & Deli
    2001 S.E. Sixth St.
    Des Moines, IA 50315
    515-243-7607

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles