LTH Home

Desperate in Des Moines

Desperate in Des Moines
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - June 12th, 2011, 2:21 pm
    - June 12th, 2011, 2:21 pm Post #31 - June 12th, 2011, 2:21 pm
    Tyrgyzistan wrote:Random Des Moines Area Photograzing:

Those are some good-looking places and ones that don't seem to get much attention. I passed Patton's (and a couple other Mexican places that were busy) while walking along Grand from Kelly's Little Nipper to Tasty Tacos. I probably would've eaten better somewhere else but I needed to try those puffy tacos.

David Hammond wrote:I perferred the slight spiciness of the chorizo tenderloin, which has the housemade sausage mixed in with the breading and a little dab of salsa on top.

I considered ordering that but decided to stick with the classic tenderloin. Had I known the chorizo is in the breading I would have ordered it for sure.

David Hammond wrote:I also witnessed the Killossal being served. It was awesome/silly.

I didn't notice that sign (not that I would've considered ordering a Killossal). While waiting for my sandwiches, someone ordered a Quadzilla (four burgers on one bun). "Are you sure?" they were asked. I wanted to get a look at it but was in a bit of a hurry. Most of B&B's sandwiches are more modest, well-thought-out constructions.

Speaking of awesome/silly tenderloins, Centro, an upscale downtown restaurant, offers the Kill Bill Tenderloin: Niman Ranch tenderloin, ham, bacon, pepper jack cheese, red onion, fried egg and garlic mayonnaise on ciabatta ($12.99). It was on my list of possibilities but, although I stayed nearby, I never made it to Centro.

I forgot to mention a couple bars I enjoyed (not breaking any new ground here). Hessen Haus has a truly excellent selection of German beers. I'm not sure there's anywhere in Chicago with a better German beer list.

Only a tiny corner of the menu, the selection of the high-octane brews is especially impressive but they were out of the question in the day's 95° heat. I settled on a liter of Weihanstephaner Hefeweizen, on draft for an exceedingly reasonable happy hour price of $7.75. I spent a very happy hour there.

Leaving Hessen Haus, I unexpectedly passed Fong's (mentioned earlier in this thread) and decided to stop just to see the interior. The bar was far more pleasant than I expected and I stayed for a couple beers (Madhouse from Newton IA—not bad at all). Plenty to look at including lots of old details from the previous restaurant as well as their impressive selection of tiki drink vessels.

David Hammond wrote:My daughter Josanna's senior project was a guide to local farmers and the restaurants that source from them in Des Moines: http://capitalpalate.wordpress.com/

I'll probably be in Des Moines again later in the summer so this will come in handy. Thanks for posting the link and thanks to Josanna for putting it together.

Hessen Haus
    101 4th St
    Des Moines IA
    515-288-2520

Fong's Pizza
    223 4th St
    Des Moines IA
    515-323-3333

Contact

About

Team

Advertize