LTH Home

Desperate in Des Moines

Desperate in Des Moines
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - August 19th, 2011, 1:09 pm
    - August 19th, 2011, 1:09 pm Post #31 - August 19th, 2011, 1:09 pm
    Tyrgyzistan wrote:For anyone visiting the State Fair, I strongly suggest skipping the 30-minute lines for the latest fried food fad. Head to an intersection of paths between the Riley Talent Stage and the Varied Industries Building to find Jennie Grinder opposite The Gizmo Stand. There are other Italian Sausage sandwiches and grinders at the fair, and Jennie Grinder has opened a year-round location recently.

My last visit was on a strict diet, so no food photos:

I was on a three-hour diet*, having just judged a culinary contest, so was unable to try a grinder at the Fair. I did have one from Jennie Grinder's permanent location during my visit last spring. Beside Jennie Grinder I noticed Carl's Gizmo and Aunt Mary's Great Grinder but missed Zag's. Is there a favorite among the many choices?

I spent a little time watching the operation at Jennie Grinder and was fortunate enough to witness the mashing of the loosemeat. The smell and heat of the spicy grease, while appealing, was about enough to knock you over.

* My diet wasn't quite so strict that it prevented me from visiting the Iowa craft beer tent, pouring a good selection of local beers, where I sampled Corn Dog Ale (Court Avenue Brewing, Des Moines), Hefe'R'weissen (Millstream Brewing, Amana) and a bunch more. Every state fair ought to have something like this.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more