LTH Home

Desperate in Des Moines

Desperate in Des Moines
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - August 27th, 2012, 9:25 am
    - August 27th, 2012, 9:25 am Post #31 - August 27th, 2012, 9:25 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:Lunch at Pho 888. They serve very solid Vietnamese food, although being a family run place, the service can be slow. Of course, when a place is packed at lunch time on MEMORIAL DAY, they are doing something right.

There have been Vietnamese people in Des Moines since the seventies, and 2nd Ave is a hub of small businesses. Their old neighborhood used to be an area on Cottage Grove just south of the freeway. A Dong is the one restaurant that moved and stayed in business.

Mekong Sandwich Shop, where Mekong Haz a Sandwich?

Banh Mi is not my normal every day sandwich, served toasted:

Very normal North Des Moines house turned into sandwich hut:

Mekong Deli/Mekong Sandwich
    3308 N 2nd St
    Des Moines

Rene G wrote:A few miscellaneous notes from a recent short visit to Des Moines . . .

At the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, we stopped at The Wooden Shoe, a stand from Pella, a Dutch town 40 miles southwest and world's record holder for the largest wooden shoe dance. They were selling a couple of the town's signature foods: Pella bologna and Dutch letters. Pella bologna (on a stick!) is a tasty sausage indeed, without a lot of similarity to what usually goes by that name. Is this the same as rookworst?

I was in Pella recently, took a couple pics at some of the places I head back to. The shops on the square all offer free samples, so you can load up on tiny bits of bologna, cheese, and sweet stuff.

Ulrich's Meat Market:

If you aint Dutch you Aint much, unless you are a bag of potato chips, then you need to be Dutch Crunch:

Diverse choice of bologna:

Bologna sandwich:

Jaarsma Bakery

Bee Hives:

Can't remember the name of this almond thing:

Raspberry Dream Boats:

Jaarsma Bakery
    727 Franklin Street
    Pella, IA 50219

Ulrichs Meat Market
    715 Franklin Street
    Pella, IA 50219