LTH Home

Milwaukee index

Milwaukee index
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 6
  • Post #61 - February 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm
    Post #61 - February 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm Post #61 - February 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm
    My son and I just ate at the newly opened "big daddy's BBQ" at Bayshore mall.
    Inexpensive - $25 plus tip for two of us (no drinks). The beef ribs on special were huge, but bland.
    I only finished two of the four. The pork ribs were good. Three sauces on the table. The tomato sauce had too much of a "black pepper" taste for me. The sweet sauce was excellent. I skipped the mustard sauce having learned a dislike for it when living in exile in SC. My wife is the cornbread person, we brought it back for her and I will post an update from the expert. The Mac&cheese was very bland. Go for another side.
    The service was actually the absolute best I have experienced in Milwaukee since the demise of an older German place that had older "professional" waiters. A very nice "perky" waitress who was very helpful, friendly, non-intrusive, did things without being asked, etc. I really hope that she stays there.

Anyway, overall, not a "destination", better than some of the other options, and far cheaper than a few of the other places. Above average.

We will be going again for me to try the brisket.
  • Post #62 - February 11th, 2013, 7:12 pm
    Post #62 - February 11th, 2013, 7:12 pm Post #62 - February 11th, 2013, 7:12 pm
    Rich's in Menominee Falls, not that far away from Woodman's.

I asked a friend about the location and was told a few years ago that if I ever wrote about them and they were "discovered" he would cause me great bodily harm. Having been there, I can see why.
    Very friendly place. We were welcomed by several customers even though it was our first time there.
    The prime rib sandwich I had was very good, the teenager said that it was some of the best fried chicken he ever had. The wings I had were highly breaded, the way I like them. Only open for lunch on Fridays and weekends. I have a feeling that the place is going to be a standard after school stop for us for decent "bar type" food.
  • Post #63 - February 12th, 2013, 2:03 pm
    Post #63 - February 12th, 2013, 2:03 pm Post #63 - February 12th, 2013, 2:03 pm
    exvaxman wrote:My son and I just ate at the newly opened "big daddy's BBQ" at Bayshore mall.
    Inexpensive - $25 plus tip for two of us (no drinks). The beef ribs on special were huge, but bland.
    I only finished two of the four. The pork ribs were good. Three sauces on the table. The tomato sauce had too much of a "black pepper" taste for me. The sweet sauce was excellent. I skipped the mustard sauce having learned a dislike for it when living in exile in SC. My wife is the cornbread person, we brought it back for her and I will post an update from the expert. The Mac&cheese was very bland. Go for another side.
    The service was actually the absolute best I have experienced in Milwaukee since the demise of an older German place that had older "professional" waiters. A very nice "perky" waitress who was very helpful, friendly, non-intrusive, did things without being asked, etc. I really hope that she stays there.

Anyway, overall, not a "destination", better than some of the other options, and far cheaper than a few of the other places. Above average.

We will be going again for me to try the brisket.

Big Daddy's Brew & 'Que
    Bayshore Town Center
    5800 N. Bayshore Dr.
    Glendale, WI 53217
    (414) 203-0404
    http://www.bigdaddysbrewandque.com
  • Post #64 - February 12th, 2013, 2:07 pm
    Post #64 - February 12th, 2013, 2:07 pm Post #64 - February 12th, 2013, 2:07 pm
    exvaxman wrote:Rich's in Menominee Falls, not that far away from Woodman's.

I asked a friend about the location and was told a few years ago that if I ever wrote about them and they were "discovered" he would cause me great bodily harm. Having been there, I can see why.
    Very friendly place. We were welcomed by several customers even though it was our first time there.
    The prime rib sandwich I had was very good, the teenager said that it was some of the best fried chicken he ever had. The wings I had were highly breaded, the way I like them. Only open for lunch on Fridays and weekends. I have a feeling that the place is going to be a standard after school stop for us for decent "bar type" food.

Is this the Rich's on Fond Du Lac? How recently were you there? When I googled for their address, I found a yellowpages.com listing that said they were closed, and when I tried calling the number I found, it was disconnected.
  • Post #65 - February 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm
    Post #65 - February 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm Post #65 - February 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm
    On Rich's.
    Last week. I think on a Tuesday or wed.
    Yes, on fondy.
    Only open for lunch Friday-Sunday despite what the old sign says.
    Otherwise 3:pm. Not sure if open on Monday or not, the old sign says not.
    Leaving Woodman's go as if you were getting on the freeway going south. At the light where you turn south to get on the freeway, turn right instead. They will be a little way down on the left.
    Knowing how you like fish frys, I have not tried theirs yet.

N80w13003 Fond Du Lac Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
  • Post #66 - February 12th, 2013, 9:35 pm
    Post #66 - February 12th, 2013, 9:35 pm Post #66 - February 12th, 2013, 9:35 pm
    exvaxman wrote:On Rich's.
    Last week. I think on a Tuesday or wed.
    Yes, on fondy.
    Only open for lunch Friday-Sunday despite what the old sign says.
    Otherwise 3:pm. Not sure if open on Monday or not, the old sign says not.
    Leaving Woodman's go as if you were getting on the freeway going south. At the light where you turn south to get on the freeway, turn right instead. They will be a little way down on the left.
    Knowing how you like fish frys, I have not tried theirs yet.

N80w13003 Fond Du Lac Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051

Online accounts did laud their fish fry. I'm concerned about the disconnected phone, though. Will check again on another day.
  • Post #67 - February 12th, 2013, 9:56 pm
    Post #67 - February 12th, 2013, 9:56 pm Post #67 - February 12th, 2013, 9:56 pm
    Great news-the Asian (Hmong) mall by 76th and mill is expanding.
    According to the JSOnline, building out from 14k sq feet to 80k sq ft, 250 vendors and an enlarged food court. 80% of the expansion space has been leased already.
  • Post #68 - February 16th, 2013, 3:11 pm
    Post #68 - February 16th, 2013, 3:11 pm Post #68 - February 16th, 2013, 3:11 pm
    Does anyone know of a decent place for fried oysters?

1) I refuse to go to Samuri around the corner from me in Glendale for an incredibly awful experience that involved many things on the menu not being available and a server that did not understand English and required that we point at everything. And still she got it wrong. The manager refused to do anything about the situation.

2) St. Paul seafood. We will never go there again. The "manager" was either high or drunk, so insulting that my wife for the first time since we dated (30+) years ago demanded we leave. I was so upset that I was willing to go over the counter at him myself.
  • Post #69 - February 17th, 2013, 4:55 pm
    Post #69 - February 17th, 2013, 4:55 pm Post #69 - February 17th, 2013, 4:55 pm
    exvaxman wrote:Does anyone know of a decent place for fried oysters?

1) I refuse to go to Samuri around the corner from me in Glendale for an incredibly awful experience that involved many things on the menu not being available and a server that did not understand English and required that we point at everything. And still she got it wrong. The manager refused to do anything about the situation.

2) St. Paul seafood. We will never go there again. The "manager" was either high or drunk, so insulting that my wife for the first time since we dated (30+) years ago demanded we leave. I was so upset that I was willing to go over the counter at him myself.

Acme Oyster House, NOLA.
    Seriously, nothing in either Milwaukee or Chicago.
    Part of the secret is fresh shucked oysters which eliminates both cities becuase I can't find any decent shell oyster either retail or in a restaurant.
    I've become fed up with the crap marketed in the shell in retail and tired of returning obviously shrunken dried up oysters served to me in restaurants.
    A good oyster, when on the half shell, should have a faint briney sea odor and be plump and glistening with no dried up mantle. In the last few years i also found apparently good looking oysters with zero taste at Bob Chinn's that everyone in our party declined to eat. Just didn't taste right?
    Ask whether the restaurant shucks thier fried oysters or prepares from bulk. That gives you a clue.
    Now bulk oysters can be good fried but they have to be fresh and far from the use by date as possible.
    Since you can't have access to that information in a restaurant, you don't know what you are getting.
    -Dick
  • Post #70 - February 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm
    Post #70 - February 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm Post #70 - February 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm
    St. Paul in Milwaukee marketplace has shelled oysters. Several regions that are shucked for you. But again, out last experience there was so horrid and demeaning to sit there and be insulted by the opening manager has made us put them on the "never again" list.
  • Post #71 - February 18th, 2013, 3:24 pm
    Post #71 - February 18th, 2013, 3:24 pm Post #71 - February 18th, 2013, 3:24 pm
    Rich's is now named "falls bar and grill".
    New owner, new staff, decent fish fry, great prime rib sandwich.
    I was confused because they just took down the "Rich's" sign for their own.

http://menomoneefalls.patch.com/article ... atmosphere

While a friend I took there said the fish fry was "just good" he was raving about the potato pancakes.
  • Post #72 - February 18th, 2013, 10:24 pm
    Post #72 - February 18th, 2013, 10:24 pm Post #72 - February 18th, 2013, 10:24 pm
    Last December I asked about the Asian "sam's club" in Milwaukee.
    I have not been there yet, but I just got the address:

Wing Fat
    2006 S 55
    West Allis
    414-258-7550
    Apparently they leased 10k sq feet back in 2010.
  • Post #73 - February 21st, 2013, 9:55 am
    Post #73 - February 21st, 2013, 9:55 am Post #73 - February 21st, 2013, 9:55 am
    Maxies Southern Comfort has really good fried oysters. They have good fresh ones too. I don't buy fresh oysters from any supermarkets in Milwaukee I just go right to Empire Fish or St. Paul. Selection is somewhat limited in the Empire retail store but they are usually fresh and tasty.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #74 - February 21st, 2013, 4:01 pm
    Post #74 - February 21st, 2013, 4:01 pm Post #74 - February 21st, 2013, 4:01 pm
    The new Dr. Dawgs in Greenfield is supposed to be opening on April 1st.
  • Post #75 - March 16th, 2013, 6:49 pm
    Post #75 - March 16th, 2013, 6:49 pm Post #75 - March 16th, 2013, 6:49 pm
    I just read that Pacific Produce is adding a north side location, at the empty grocery at west Hampton and west Appleton. Not that far away from Rhino Foods.
  • Post #76 - April 20th, 2013, 3:47 pm
    Post #76 - April 20th, 2013, 3:47 pm Post #76 - April 20th, 2013, 3:47 pm
    Puddle jumpers has changed ownership.
    A real step up on their BBQ. 12 hours low & slow with a dry rub for pork and beef.
    A great smoky smell as you walk in.
    My guests were impressed.

4939 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee
  • Post #77 - April 24th, 2013, 10:46 am
    Post #77 - April 24th, 2013, 10:46 am Post #77 - April 24th, 2013, 10:46 am
    Yay! Spartan Gyro is now making their own corned beef.
    http://www.spartangyros.com/

I have been sending people there for their pastrami.
    Right across from the Hmong mall, 76th and Mill roads, Milwaukee.
  • Post #78 - June 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm
    Post #78 - June 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm Post #78 - June 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm
    Apparent there was a fire at Ono kine grindz, a favorite on this board.
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/210690461.html
  • Post #79 - June 8th, 2013, 9:37 pm
    Post #79 - June 8th, 2013, 9:37 pm Post #79 - June 8th, 2013, 9:37 pm
    exvaxman wrote:Apparent there was a fire at Ono kine grindz, a favorite on this board.
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/210690461.html

They're fine and still open per their Facebook Page.

"We're all fine at OKG. There was a bucket of rags that caught on fire due to spontaneous combustion. Thanks to the fine Wauwatosa Fire and Police Departments, the situation was under control within minutes. Our Ohana has generously given their time to clean every surface at OKG and we're open for business. Aloha to All...We Love You, David & Guy!"
  • Post #80 - June 12th, 2013, 7:11 pm
    Post #80 - June 12th, 2013, 7:11 pm Post #80 - June 12th, 2013, 7:11 pm
    House of corned beef is moving to the east side with a second location. They are moving into the (now) former Sobelman's location on Farwell.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/bl ... in-on.html
  • Post #81 - June 14th, 2013, 4:24 pm
    Post #81 - June 14th, 2013, 4:24 pm Post #81 - June 14th, 2013, 4:24 pm
    Apparently one of my favorite places in the Hmong mall (76th and Mill) is not doing so well inspection wise:
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/dirt ... 80521.html
  • Post #82 - June 18th, 2013, 10:33 am
    Post #82 - June 18th, 2013, 10:33 am Post #82 - June 18th, 2013, 10:33 am
    If you need elk or awesome smoked trout (best I have had since I gave up ordering from Homaris years ago), check out the theinsville farmer's market. Not to much in produce, but a couple of BBQ purveyors, etc. Tuesdays 8:AM - 7:PM.

You can skip the Brown Deer market. Two vendors were there last week.

Obviously the West Allis market wins overall for produce.
  • Post #83 - June 20th, 2013, 7:29 am
    Post #83 - June 20th, 2013, 7:29 am Post #83 - June 20th, 2013, 7:29 am
    You should check out the Waukesha market. When I moved here 8 years ago it was pretty weak, now they have an insane amount of vendors. Tons of produce vendors (Roots Down Farm, who usually comes later in the season) is probably my favorite. Lots of heirloom tomatoes and other vegetables. You'll also find Rushing Waters Trout, which has become a weekly purchase for me. They harvest the fish on Friday and sell them at the market Saturday morning.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #84 - July 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm
    Post #84 - July 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm Post #84 - July 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm
    This 4th of July weekend, thanks to everyone's postings, we had some really nice food on a quick trip to Milwaukee. A brief listing of our choices include:

Comet Cafe - Although the grass-fed meatloaf was good, the gooey and super rich mac and cheese was the winner with my wife (but the veggie chili was also really tasty).
    Karl Ratzsch - Both the Usinger sausage sampler and the "European" sampler, which included roasted goose, were excellent. My 6 year old ate 2 entire orders of the potato pancakes herself.
    Kopp's - I have to agree this is one excellent custard, although their regular chocolate seemed too malty to me (but one of their flavor of the day chocolates, eaten at a second visit, was much bettter)
    St. Paul's Seafood Co - Located in the Public Market, their $13 lobster roll had a little too much mayonnaise but was otherwise quite delicious, especially for the price.
    Mars Cheese Castle - Everyone seems to dis this place, but it was a great stop on the wasy to/from Chicago to buy a horribly cheesey mug souvenir (pun intended). Also, the lunch we had (Usinger brat, reportedly made special for Mars, and grilled cheese, with homemade German potato salad) was a thousand times better then any fast food chain.
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles-
  • Post #85 - August 28th, 2013, 12:44 pm
    Post #85 - August 28th, 2013, 12:44 pm Post #85 - August 28th, 2013, 12:44 pm
    Hi, does anyone know a good place for a quick lunch near the airport? I'm picking up my friends for a golf weekend next Thursday and one of them gets in at 11:15 and the other two get in at 1 so I was thinking I would pick up my one friend and go grab lunch while we waited for the other two.

So assuming there is no flight delay and he gets his bags and is in my car by 11:35 is there anywhere we can get to, eat and make it back to the airport by 1:15?
  • Post #86 - August 28th, 2013, 1:59 pm
    Post #86 - August 28th, 2013, 1:59 pm Post #86 - August 28th, 2013, 1:59 pm
    shakes,

If you're in the mood for Mexican, try Jalapeno Loco, right on the outskirts of Mitchell Airport. At first glance you'll think you're walking into a mid-range chain Steak House, and, in fact, the building very likely served that purpose, once upon a time. As Jalapeno Loco, it's home to a menu full of unexpected offerings.

You can get all the usual suspects (chile rellenos, enchiladas, carne asada, etc.), but their regional specialties make the place special. Tamales Oaxaquenos, several different moles, and a number of daily specials separate Jalapeno Loco from the rest of the pack. Be sure to try the Cream of Jalapeno Soup if it's on the specials board.

Also highly recommended is the Chiles En Nogada. Best described as a cousin to the typical Chile Rellenos, this version is stuffed with pork, plantain, apples, pears, peaches, and almonds, then topped with a cheese and walnut sauce; finally accented with a scattering of pomegranate seeds.

If Jalapeno Loco isn't what you're looking for, there are a bunch of other restaurants on the same stretch of road bordering the west side of the airport. Also, right on the airport's northern border, you'll find the Nite Owl Drive In. Legend has it that Elvis kept his plane waiting on the runway while he ran over to Nite Owl for a couple of their Burgers.

Have a great lunch!

Buddy

Jalapeno Loco
    5067 S. Howell Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53207
    (414) 483-8300

Nite Owl
    830 E. Layton Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53207
    (414) 483-2524
  • Post #87 - August 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm
    Post #87 - August 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm Post #87 - August 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm
    Buddy,

I'll take two with peanut butter and banana.

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #88 - August 28th, 2013, 9:30 pm
    Post #88 - August 28th, 2013, 9:30 pm Post #88 - August 28th, 2013, 9:30 pm
    Goober Burger, eh?

Buddy
  • Post #89 - September 15th, 2013, 3:18 am
    Post #89 - September 15th, 2013, 3:18 am Post #89 - September 15th, 2013, 3:18 am
    I had a massive pork shank. It was the best liver dumpling soup I've had, and the dumplings were delicious. I think it's better than the German restaurants I've tried in Chicago (yet to try Mirabell), though not as good as a German country inn with home cooking.
  • Post #90 - November 4th, 2013, 2:16 pm
    Post #90 - November 4th, 2013, 2:16 pm Post #90 - November 4th, 2013, 2:16 pm
    Had a fantastic weekend in Milwaukee with my wife, two weekends ago. We hit Sanford (description of that amazing experience in the Sanford-dedicated thread), Cafe Calatrava at the Museum, the West Allis Farmer's Market, the bar at the Pfister Hotel, and Honey Pie for Sunday brunch. Here's a rundown:

Sanford - Ridiculously great. Exceeded expectations and easily justified the price.

Cafe Calatrava - Very, very good on its own terms. Museum food has been on the ups recently and this was no exception. Great fig salad with crispy kale and a delicious turkey sandwich (the cranberry mustard and bread were the standouts) with a surprisingly great side salad.

West Allis Farmer's Market - Really cool/strange market. Lots of great produce, especially the brussels sprouts, apples (these two older women were selling only heritage apples and they had an unbelievable selection, chock full of varieties I'd never seen before - and I love apples), and mushrooms. The cheddar-jalapeno bread we bought was not as good and downright mediocre for this kind of market.

Blu at the Pfister Hotel - The drinks were a tick above average, but nothing more. The complementary snack was a fun mix of stuff. The view is amazing and would bring me back, time and again.

Honey Pie - WOW! Great brunch. We had the biscuits and sausage gravy and a sundried tomato and sausage quiche. Both were just fantastic, especially the biscuits and gravy. The coffee with also excellent and the two cupcakes we took home for dessert that night were delicious, as well.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more