LTH Home

Any ideas for Beloit, WI??

Any ideas for Beloit, WI??
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Any ideas for Beloit, WI??

Post #1 - June 29th, 2004, 10:08 am
    Post #1 - June 29th, 2004, 10:08 am Post #1 - June 29th, 2004, 10:08 am
    We head out to Beloit occasionally to see the Beloit Snappers, the Class A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for chow in the area? The only places that we have been able to find are truck stops and some fast food places.
  • Post #2 - July 25th, 2005, 1:02 pm
    Post #2 - July 25th, 2005, 1:02 pm Post #2 - July 25th, 2005, 1:02 pm
    I spent four years in Beloit and have had many visits since they handed me my degree. I can wholeheartedly recommend one location for food: Hanson's. They have one of the finer burgers around.

Domenico's was the pizza joint in town and lives well in my memory.

My best friend and I would splurge every year and head to the Butterfly Club. I don't remember the food as much as the mirrored, supper club atmosphere.

Hanson’s Tavern
    615 East Cranston Road
    608-362-8559

Domenico's Restaurant
    547 East Grand Avenue
    608-365-9480

The Butterfly Club
    County Hwy. X, off of I-43
    608-362-8577

-The GP (aka Mary)
  • Post #3 - July 25th, 2005, 1:48 pm
    Post #3 - July 25th, 2005, 1:48 pm Post #3 - July 25th, 2005, 1:48 pm
    Thanks. I haven't been out to Beloit this summer as the Kane County Cougars have been showering me with season ticket benefits. However, I will be heading out there during college basketball season later this fall.

Thanks for the ideas. I will try them out on my next trip.
  • Post #4 - September 18th, 2006, 2:21 pm
    Post #4 - September 18th, 2006, 2:21 pm Post #4 - September 18th, 2006, 2:21 pm
    Homecoming weekend at Beloit beckoned and off I went. A fine weekend of reconnecting with old friends and enjoying Wisconsin beers was capped with a lunchtime visit to Hanson's on Sunday. This was one fine burger. Ordered medium rare, it had a beautiful pink color and was juicy and flavorful. The platter came with a choice of fries or onion rings and we each had onion rings. (Whole onions, a little too crispy for my tastes.) Sundays is 2 for 1 burger days. The tab for two burger platters and two sodas = $9.53. Nirvana!

Hanson's Tavern
    615 East Cranston Road
    608-362-8559
  • Post #5 - October 12th, 2006, 9:55 am
    Post #5 - October 12th, 2006, 9:55 am Post #5 - October 12th, 2006, 9:55 am
    The GP wrote:Hanson’s Tavern
    615 East Cranston Road
    608-362-8559

Went to Hanson's yesterday and was knocked out. Nothing fancy, just the absolute best platter of fried onion rings, shrooms and chicken wings I can remember, everything cut and prepared on premises, no prepackaged stuff.

This place is a throwback on the order of VI's vaunted Butch's; it's got the cheap paneling, the photos of local groups on the wall, a pool room off to the side (with its own hot plates), local brews on tap and an entirely predictable menu that I intend to drill down into.

As an added bonus, we accessed the place via a small and twisting road through the woods. Oh yeah.

I will be in Beloit a lot over the next few weeks and intend to go back.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #6 - January 25th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    Post #6 - January 25th, 2007, 10:54 pm Post #6 - January 25th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    I regret to announce that Hanson's closed last month.
  • Post #7 - January 27th, 2007, 4:21 pm
    Post #7 - January 27th, 2007, 4:21 pm Post #7 - January 27th, 2007, 4:21 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I regret to announce that Hanson's closed last month.

No way! Really? Thats awful news.

Unbelievable, too. I was there only once, but it was on a Sunday last summer/fall
    (early football season). And the place looked pretty packed! They didnt seem
    to be doing bad business at all (even though the value on their burger
    was beyond belief - 2 burger baskets came to about 6 bucks IIRC, on
    Sundays). And a fine burger it was too. Looked a very nice place,
    good food, nice people, a pretty decent crowd, seemed a regularish
    pool-joint, been around a long time etc.

What happened? I find it hard to believe they werent getting business,
    surely? I hope they can open in some other form somewhere, if theyve
    only lost a lease or something (it was a *very* cool location too -
    up a winding road to the spot). Really bad news.

c8w
  • Post #8 - January 27th, 2007, 5:35 pm
    Post #8 - January 27th, 2007, 5:35 pm Post #8 - January 27th, 2007, 5:35 pm
    c8w wrote:What happened? I find it hard to believe they werent getting business, surely? I hope they can open in some other form somewhere, if theyveonly lost a lease or something (it was a *very* cool location too - up a winding road to the spot). Really bad news.
    c8w

I talked to a guy who works at ABC Supply right down the street from Hanson's, and he said the place had declined in years past, and actually cited the hamburger as being "not what it used to be." Apparently, they sold, but it's hard to imagine another place opening in that location (tucked away, as it is). My guess is the whole lot was sold (though even that is hard to believe in economically-challenged Beloit). At any rate, Hanson's is no more -- more's the pity.

Hammond
  • Post #9 - January 20th, 2008, 2:29 am
    Post #9 - January 20th, 2008, 2:29 am Post #9 - January 20th, 2008, 2:29 am
    I had not been to Beloit for a couple of years and decided to see some basketball and a film at the Beloit Film Festival (which features over 50 films over 4 days). I have always had problems finding any good options.

I stopped at the stateline at Alvarez Mexican restaurant. I ordered two of the tacos al pastor and an order of chips and salsa. The chips were fairly stale and the salsa had the appearance of tomato soup. It was really pretty bad. The tacos were passable. The beans and rice were disappointing and fairly cold. I was one of the first customers for lunch and I was disappointed that they did not have many Mexican beverages like Coke or Jarritos Mandarin. It is not a place that I would recommend.

Old Fashion Bakery was the next stop. I tried the peanut butter brownie and a crumb cake. Both were unpleasantly sweet and really nothing special. Also, it was disappointing that they had very little selection at 10 am.

I stopped at Domenico's for dinner. Originally, I thought the place was a pizza restaurant but they had a full Italian menu. In addition, they had a dinner buffet that features three entrees (roast pork, sausage and peppers, and mostociolli), three pizzas, and a good salad bar. As I was looking for pizza and a salad anyway, I decided to order the buffet. ($9.95 for dinner) The food was very good. Normally, this type of buffet is not very good BUT in this case, they had a limited selection and the buffet was well maintained.
    Great food and a place I would like to return to.

On my next visit, I am going to try the Bagels and More on State Street as I have heard a number of favorable review.

Domenico's Restaurant
    547 East Grand Avenue
    608-365-9480

Alvarez Mexican Restaurant
    129 Blackhawk Blvd
    South Beloit, IL 61080
    (815) 389-4533

Old Fashion Bakery
    1255 Park Ave
    Beloit, WI 53511
    (608) 365-6461

Bagels and More
    324 State Street
    Beloit, WI 53511
  • Post #10 - January 20th, 2008, 7:01 am
    Post #10 - January 20th, 2008, 7:01 am Post #10 - January 20th, 2008, 7:01 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:On my next visit, I am going to try the Bagels and More on State Street as I have heard a number of favorable review.

I went to Bagels and More last year around this time, and it was just fine, given the other options in downtown Beloit. As I recall (and I could be mis-remembering), the "and more" is like scones and muffins, although they might have soup and sandwiches.
  • Post #11 - January 20th, 2008, 12:25 pm
    Post #11 - January 20th, 2008, 12:25 pm Post #11 - January 20th, 2008, 12:25 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I went to Bagels and More last year around this time, and it was just fine, given the other options in downtown Beloit. As I recall (and I could be mis-remembering), the "and more" is like scones and muffins, although they might have soup and sandwiches.

They have sandwiches and soup ... and something unusual in Beloit - a WEBPAGE!

http://www.bagelsandmore.net/

I ALMOST had my first Big Mac in years yesterday after looking at the options in DT Beloit.
  • Post #12 - May 8th, 2011, 5:06 pm
    Post #12 - May 8th, 2011, 5:06 pm Post #12 - May 8th, 2011, 5:06 pm
    I have been reading and enjoying LTH forum for a while without registering but I just had to register to post a comment about Hanson's. Driving home from Madison with my husband, I looked at LTH (yay smartphones) to find somewhere to eat lunch near Beloit. Fortunately, I somehow missed the post that said Hanson's was closed and that's where we went. Awesome burgers and onion rings, and since it was Sunday, 2 for 1 (when we got the bill, we could not believe how cheap it was and told the waitress she had forgotten one of our burgers, but as it turned out, she hadn't). We are really glad to have found it.
  • Post #13 - May 9th, 2011, 10:29 am
    Post #13 - May 9th, 2011, 10:29 am Post #13 - May 9th, 2011, 10:29 am
    Never knew there was a Beloit Thread. We used to go to Beloit a lot since my grandpa lived there and our favorite place by far was Domenico's Restaurant. The pizza is awesome and their lunctime buffet on Sundays is also pretty nice. Usually 4-5 different pizzas, pasta, chicken parm, meatballs. Pretty standard, but tasty Italian American fare.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #14 - May 9th, 2011, 8:07 pm
    Post #14 - May 9th, 2011, 8:07 pm Post #14 - May 9th, 2011, 8:07 pm
    Near Beloit College is a Broasted Chicken spot where I ate last summer. Good pressure-fried chicken done to order, as well as a few other offerings, such as a fried fish special (not tried) in a clean, family-run spot open rather late. Nothing uber-special, but not a chain.

Scotties Genuine Broaster Chicken LLC
    946 Wisconsin Avenue
    Beloit, WI 53511-5421
    (608) 365-2445 ‎
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #15 - May 10th, 2011, 7:58 am
    Post #15 - May 10th, 2011, 7:58 am Post #15 - May 10th, 2011, 7:58 am
    eatwisconsin wrote:Never knew there was a Beloit Thread. We used to go to Beloit a lot since my grandpa lived there and our favorite place by far was Domenico's Restaurant. The pizza is awesome and their lunctime buffet on Sundays is also pretty nice. Usually 4-5 different pizzas, pasta, chicken parm, meatballs. Pretty standard, but tasty Italian American fare.

Having attended college in Beloit, I spent a lot of calories with Domenico's. Sunday night pizza was a ritual, mainly because the cafeteria was closed then. I remember it being good, but there is some dust on the memories. Domenico's is in a new location, at least new from when I was in school. It's not as divey as it was.

Domenico's
    547 East Grand Ave
    Beloit, WI 53511
    (608) 365-9489
    http://www.domenicos.us/
    -Mary
  • Post #16 - May 11th, 2011, 1:53 pm
    Post #16 - May 11th, 2011, 1:53 pm Post #16 - May 11th, 2011, 1:53 pm
    The GP wrote:
    eatwisconsin wrote:Never knew there was a Beloit Thread. We used to go to Beloit a lot since my grandpa lived there and our favorite place by far was Domenico's Restaurant. The pizza is awesome and their lunctime buffet on Sundays is also pretty nice. Usually 4-5 different pizzas, pasta, chicken parm, meatballs. Pretty standard, but tasty Italian American fare.

Having attended college in Beloit, I spent a lot of calories with Domenico's. Sunday night pizza was a ritual, mainly because the cafeteria was closed then. I remember it being good, but there is some dust on the memories. Domenico's is in a new location, at least new from when I was in school. It's not as divey as it was.

Domenico's
    547 East Grand Ave
    Beloit, WI 53511
    (608) 365-9489
    http://www.domenicos.us/

Yeah I thought I remember going with my grandpa to pick up pizzas a long time ago and it was somewhere different and yes, I think I remember it being kind of dumpy. Or maybe I am confusing it with Tilley's, which is also very good.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #17 - August 8th, 2012, 12:15 pm
    Post #17 - August 8th, 2012, 12:15 pm Post #17 - August 8th, 2012, 12:15 pm
    Actually had a choice of 3 or 4 supper club type spots in the Beloit area I believe, Butterfly Club had pan fried chicken on specia, folks who know the grubseeker know what that means.....

THe Butterfly Club just oozed history and nostalgia, off county road X, slick roadhouse/nightclub feel. Must have been the place back in the 1960's id guess. Huge bar area, bar had to be 100 ft long, a wall of windows looked out over a wooded scene. A solid version of a brandy old fashioned hit the spot, a little twist, this one had a pineapple slice as a garnish, nice touch.

Dinner was ok, standard iceburg salad, pan fried chicken was very solid, especially for $9. Cinnamon rolls were really good.

Butterfly Club

old fashioned:

cinnamon rolls:

pan fried chix:

Butterfly Club
    5246 E County Road X
    Beloit, WI.

http://www.butterflyclub.us
  • Post #18 - August 8th, 2012, 1:03 pm
    Post #18 - August 8th, 2012, 1:03 pm Post #18 - August 8th, 2012, 1:03 pm
    Jim-

The Butterfly Club was the spot where my best friend and I regularly celebrated the end of each school year when we were in college. I don't remember much about the food as we normally took great advantage of the low drink prices. We always enjoyed our special night out. I'm glad you checked it out -- my friend and I might have to visit again.

jimswside wrote: Must have been the place back in the 1960's id guess.

I didn't know this, but apparently the Butterfly Club has been around in some form since 1924, at least according to their website. They rebuilt after a devastating fire in 1972, which is probably the current building.
    -Mary
  • Post #19 - June 1st, 2014, 9:36 pm
    Post #19 - June 1st, 2014, 9:36 pm Post #19 - June 1st, 2014, 9:36 pm
    OK, I am officially reviving this thread with hopes of suggestions in/around Beloit as I am buying a 2nd home here. We're building a BBQ Retreat, right on the Rock River - think Dude Ranch for BBQ guys (huge outdoor cooking area, several smokers/grills/fire pits, dock for fishing/boating, horseshoe pits, etc.). I'm renting the house to BBQ Enthusiasts who want to show up - equipment clean and ready to cook, commercial fridge stocked with cuts of meat to cook (brisket, ribs, shoulder), rubs, injections, wood stacked, etc. All the fun, none of the prep work - a short 2 hour drive from Chicago.

Anyways, that's why I'm buying property up here - but I am also planning on spending many of my Sunday nights-Tuesday (my weekend) here with my family. I'm here now, for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, closing on the property and checking out the local scene. I'll be spending quite a bit of time up here this summer getting the place ready, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to eat out.

We've had the kids with on these past 2 trips, so I haven't done the supper clubs in town (Bennedettis's and 615 club look good). I love the idea of the Wisconsin Supper Club, but don't have much experience with them. Intel appreciated.

We visited Bushel & Peck's, a fairly new(ish) addition to the scene - downtown on State St. Farm-to-table cafe, lots of locally sourced groceries and coffee/panini menu made with ingredients from a farm the group owns. It was very good. Took home some house-made fermented pickles and some root beer. Had a sandwich, was very good. Nice space, funky/farmy/portlandy, nice people, I'll be back.

Bushel & Pecks
    328 State St, Beloit
    http://www.bushelandpecks.com/

Visited Bagels & More next door to B&P's (won't even give the address): Awful. Bad food, HORRRIBLE & RUDE (don't even want to start this rant again) service from the owner, will never step foot in that place again.

Saw a Rib place called Miss Vicki's Ribs in South Beloit, on Blackhawk drive. It looked promising: an older African American woman was standing outisde with 3 old school pits puffin' along. I had 2 wild, exhausted, sun-burnt children with me, so it wasn't the right time to stop but I'd report back when I do.

Miss Vicki's Famous BBQ
    722 Blackhawk Blvd, South Beloit

We've had ice cream from M&M's Dari-Ripple in S. Beloit - super cute family owned ice cream shop that is very popular with the locals.

M&M's Dari Ripple
    470 Blackhawk Blvd, South Beloit

Tried Pizza from a local staple today:

Tilley's Pizza
    900 4th St, Beloit

Bad pizza, eh... service, they want you there drink - not eat. I wouldn't recommend.

There is this awesome (looking) drive in up the way called "Circus Drive IN" that has apparently been there for 60 years (or something like that). They used to have kids rides along with the classic, car-hop served burgers n custard. They've been closed/owners changed a few times, and the latest rendition doesn't look great. If I was a ridiculous dreamer, with absolutely no risk adversion, I would try to buy the place and bring it back to its glory. I LOVE this kind of joint, and this one has great bones. Anyone have stories about Nick's Circus Drive In in Beloit, WI?

Nick's Circus Drive In (I'll add pics when I'm home, but google search 'em - it's a classic)
    3525 S Riverside Dr, Beloit, WI, US, 53511

So that's my start: add-on, fill-in, or just wait for my next journey - I'm gonna dig through Beloit/Janesville/Rockton, etc. to find the hidden spots, and try any reco's you guys may have - Madison is easy, so is Rockford, I want the local stuff near Beloit....
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #20 - July 2nd, 2014, 6:41 am
    Post #20 - July 2nd, 2014, 6:41 am Post #20 - July 2nd, 2014, 6:41 am
    I realize I may be the only one (ever) posting in this thread, who goes to Beloit anyways? But, maybe it will be a resource to those on random travels in future times....

This week I took possession of my new BBQ Retreat, so I was up there ripping up old carpeting (I'm installing reclaimed wide planked New England pine floors). I haven't moved any furniture in, so I stayed at the "fancy" hotel in town, the recently remodeled Beloit Inn that is now called "Ironworks Hotel".

http://www.ironworkshotel.com

From the outside, I rolled my eyes and thought "Here's a place that not interested in small town charm - this hotel looks like it should be in downtown Chicago." While this style normally falls short of my expectations - this place was very impressive. Very well designed, service impeccable, decor historic to the regional ironworks factory (lots of impressive reclaimed wood, custom built furniture, regional antiques), and quite affordable given the cleanliness and amenities ($129 for a double - compared to $89 for a generic roadside Holiday-Travel-Hilton-Econo-etc. with free waffles)

Egyptian cotton sheets, iPhone (5) docking stations, USB charging outlets, welcome bar, views of the downtown/river area. I still can't decide if someone if currently trying to plug money into this economy or if the old downtown has undergone a few attempts at resurgence with no avail...anyways - if you have reason to stay in Beloit, stay here. They have just finished the remodel, in fact, they were finishing paving the parking lot as we stayed there - so it's all BRAND SPANKIN NEW! It's also walking distance to a few pubs, but more importantly houses a FANTASTIC steakhouse called Merrill & Houston's (founders of the local Ironworks).

http://www.merrillandhoustons.com

Again, my expectations were that is was going to be a fall-short attempt at a "Big City Steakhouse", but I was pleasantly surprised. Our dinner here was fantastic, I can't say enough great things about the place. Moderately priced, goods steaks, properly cooked...I ordered a 22 oz. Ribeye (that for $32.95 came with house-made chunky garlic mashed potatoes and salad with a really good creamy-peppercorn dressing) and an appetizer of bacon-wrapped asparagus. All of the food was as good as (most) steakhouses here in Chicago - very impressed. Their house-made dinner rolls were fantastic - worth asking for an extra basket. Only complaint about this place is that the beer selection is weak (and service was a little nervous - but really just young). I was also surprised to see about 50 other diners on a stormy Monday evening, in such a slow, sleepy little downtown.

We also had lunch the next day, during work, at the town waterfront favorite - "The Rock". As we pulled up, their was an XXL Sysco truck in back - which doesn't necessarily mean "freezer to fryer", but after my meal I can tell you everything we consumed was "Sysco to plate". It wasn't awful, it just wasn't good. The place was nice, right on the water - pull your boat up for snacks/drinks..the drink menu was full of "party beverages" (a 25-drink deep "Martini" menu with a bunch of sugary, fruity, milky, chocola-tini esque drinks served in aforementioned glass), a "Bomb Menu", etc. I am sure the locals love this place, but I'll stick to wings, snacks, kids menu & other fail-proof items if I go here again. Big plus, I can drive a boat here - I think it's the only dock-able restaurant on that strip of the river.

Ironworks Hotel
    500 Pleasant Street
    Beloit, Wisconsin
    http://www.ironworkshotel.com

Merrill & Houston's Steak Joint
    500 Pleasant Street
    Beloit, WI 53511
    http://www.merrillandhoustons.com

The Rock
    The Rock Bar & Grill
    101 Maple Ave.
    Beloit, WI 53511
    http://www.rockbarbeloit.com
  • Post #21 - July 2nd, 2014, 11:37 pm
    Post #21 - July 2nd, 2014, 11:37 pm Post #21 - July 2nd, 2014, 11:37 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:Again, my expectations were that is was going to be a fall-short attempt at a "Big City Steakhouse", but I was pleasantly surprised. Our dinner here was fantastic, I can't say enough great things about the place. Moderately priced, goods steaks, properly cooked...I ordered a 22 oz. Ribeye (that for $32.95 came with house-made chunky garlic mashed potatoes and salad with a really good creamy-peppercorn dressing) and an appetizer of bacon-wrapped asparagus. All of the food was as good as (most) steakhouses here in Chicago - very impressed. Their house-made dinner rolls were fantastic - worth asking for an extra basket. Only complaint about this place is that the beer selection is weak (and service was a little nervous - but really just young). I was also surprised to see about 50 other diners on a stormy Monday evening, in such a slow, sleepy little downtown.

Did you wear pants?
    Logan: Come on, everybody, wang chung tonight! What? Everybody, wang chung tonight! Wang chung, or I'll kick your ass!
  • Post #22 - July 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm
    Post #22 - July 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm Post #22 - July 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm
    A friend of mine down that way swears by Taqueria Azteca.

Taqueria Azteca
    1910 Shopiere Rd,
    Beloit, WI 53511
  • Post #23 - August 10th, 2014, 7:47 am
    Post #23 - August 10th, 2014, 7:47 am Post #23 - August 10th, 2014, 7:47 am
    Continuing my work on our up-and-coming BBQ Ranch in Rock County - we've sampled a lot of food up here, most of it decent.

We have eaten a few time now at the above-mentioned Taqueria Azteca - and had very inconsistent experiences. First time, it was spot-on - I was singing' the praises of Wisco's reco...2nd time: Just ok, but not bad. 3rd visit: everything was reheated, dry, flavorless. I met the owner, nice guy - eager to please. Very friendly staff. I suppose it's hard to always have fresh food in such a small town.

We have since changed our Mexican takeout to a new(ish) place called "Little Mexico". It's right off the highway, so anyone traveling to Madison (or further) that stops in Beloit as the enter Wisconsin to pick up some New Glaurus for the ride - try this place. Very authentic, tasty, fresh, nice interior - only been once, so take this with a grain of salt - but I really enjoyed my food from here.

"Little Mexico"
    2787 Milwaukee Rd., Beloit, WI 53511

We have also been enjoying the hell out of (aptly named) "Old Fashioned Bakery" on Park ave. Don't know the history of this place, but it's right across from the Fairbanks Morse engine factory - one of the big employers in town - and it looks like they do a pretty good business. We order donuts from here, and they're ~.65 each (or something close to that, I don't have a receipt w/me). This place smells like the bakery I grew up with: the smell of fresh baked bread, donuts, and coffee fill the air inside the Old Fashioned Bakery. We also pick up deli sandwiches from here. They're all made on their fresh, house-made croissants (and really good for about $4.50). This is the kind of place that makes small towns charming: Fresh baked goods without the pretension or high-cost of big cities. I told the counter-gal that donuts are selling for $4 each in Chicago, and she laughed and said "maybe we should re-locate, we could all retire in a year."

Old Fashioned Bakery
    1255 Park Ave
    Beloit, Wisconsin 53511

We've eaten at the steakhouse (Merrill & Houston's) a few more times - and I've gotta say: wow! Our bill (w/tip) has never crossed $100 - and that's steak for 2 w/soup&salad & a couple glasses of wine for my wife. They don't have a dry-aging room or any truffled butter yadayadayada, but it's a fantastic steakhouse at a very reasonable price. The staff is very polite, well-trained, and appropriate for the area. And to answer the question upththread (bnowell724) - no I don't wear pants when I eat here :).

We've also had ice cream from Northwoods Confections in the downtown area - they serve Chocolate Shoppe Ice cream, a Wisconsin (and edge brook) favorite. Really good ice cream, and they keep it at the right temp. They make their own fudge and popcorn, and I've enjoyed that too. They make a strawberry lemonade fudge, which defies what I have always thought of as fudge - but it's damn good. The owner explained to me that fudge isn't always chocolate, which I guess makes sense - it's just how I've always had it.

Northwoods Premium Confections
    314 State street
    Beloit, WI

A few other pics from my journeys in Beloit, a charming little historic steel/river town:

I've yet to cook any of the fish we're catching, but the catfish in the Rock River are very easy to catch. We drop lines in the water at the start of our work day, and check the lines every hour or so - using only simple hooks w/worms - and we catch ~5 fish each day on 2 lines.

Rub's Rock River BBQ Ranch is almost done (the house portion), we're just starting to build the cookers - I'll start a separate thread for that when we get going, as I'm sure many of you will enjoy the process of building brick smokers (we're building 5 cookers - including a cinder-block pit for whole hogs, a coffin-style pit, a standard off-set, and a pizza oven). All in a day's work.
  • Post #24 - August 28th, 2014, 12:01 pm
    Post #24 - August 28th, 2014, 12:01 pm Post #24 - August 28th, 2014, 12:01 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:Continuing my work on our up-and-coming BBQ Ranch in Rock County . . .

Very nice write-up today at DNA Info:

Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse owner Jared Leonard opened a "barbecue bed and breakfast" this summer on the Rock River in Wisconsin.

But it's more meat smokers brimming with brisket, pork shoulder and ribs than a hoity-toity getaway.

Leonard's Rock River BBQ Ranch in Beloit, Wisconsin, soon will be available for overnight stays, day trips and barbecue classes.

Rub's BBQ Bed and Breakfast Is Like a Smoked Meat Camp for Barbecue Lovers

Sounds a helluva lot better than BBQ University! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #25 - April 27th, 2015, 9:41 am
    Post #25 - April 27th, 2015, 9:41 am Post #25 - April 27th, 2015, 9:41 am
    Got clear of the the rain on Sat. by doing the quick 1.45 hour shot up I-39 to the Beloit region. Never really checked out this area right over the border. Spent my time in Janesville, Edgerton, and Hanover - all easy drives from Beloit.

Started out at Milwaukee Grill for an early lunch at the bar.

spotted cow and Beam:

called ahead to make sure they had and offred lake perch at lunch - they did..

nicely done, guessing I chowed more of the hash browns topped with those grilled onions though.

Milwaukee Grill
    2601 Morse St.
    Janesville, WI.

http://milwaukeegrill.com/

Rolled down the road to a Cajun spot - Emigails Roadhouse over on Edgerton.

Roadhouse spot obviously, doing a cajun type menu. Enjoyed a Spotted Cow and a cup of crawfish and corn bisque:

Emigails Roadhouse
    650 WI 59
    Edgerton, WI.

http://www.emigailsroadhouse.com/

Had some time to kill as the girls were at the mall having fun. - rolled almost up to Madison(towns are an easy cruise away in this area) - Wanted to hit a bar by a lake - Green Lantern was the stop - supposedly was an ice house back in the day.

Cold cows and some good people watching was to be had - cool joint They got perch, walleye, etc for supper - I didnt eat as it was too early to get some fish.

Green Lantern Restaurant
    4412 Siggelkow
    McFarland, WI.

http://thegreenlanternrestaurant.com/

Alright - always on the prowl for the oldest - heard Cozy Inn is the oldest Chinese restaurant in Wisco, est. 1922. Had to go:

What a cool spot - Located on the 2nd floor of this building, on top of an Irish Pub. A steep ascent up about 20 stairs takes you to a dark old school dining room. Ill be heading back to eat there - Had to get some eggrolls and fried rice right..?

Eggrolls - good - Shrimp fried rice - top notch. High on my list for a return visit asap.

Cozy Inn
    214 W. Milwaukee St.
    Janesville, WI.

http://www.cozyinnchineserestaurant.com/

Grabbed the girls and headed for dinner - gotta be a supper club - Ding-a-Ling Supper Club in Hanover, WI. was the choice- grabbed a 5pm reservation - recommended.

Did the prime rib - when in Wisco on a Sat. night right..

also one of the nights specials was 1/2 fried bird, dumpling, and mashed -

yeah, I took a frickin nap after getting us halfway home after that dish - chicken was good - not Lasalle County Strong but good. Dumpling was a monster, thought it was gonna be a lead ball but it was tender and light inside - Just a good meal and service all around.

Ding-a-Ling Supper Club
    8215 W. Race
    Edgerton, WI.

http://ding-a-lingsupperclub.com/index.html
  • Post #26 - July 27th, 2016, 5:34 pm
    Post #26 - July 27th, 2016, 5:34 pm Post #26 - July 27th, 2016, 5:34 pm
    We've been open and operating theRock River BBQ Ranch for a couple years now... and recently we had a film crew up to shoot a day of Pig Roasting, pizza cooking, meat grilling, zip lining, tire swinging, fish basting fun... Couple LTHers star in this (laikom, Gwiv) - so I thought it'd be fun to post here...

http://www.vimeo.com/173683529

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events