LTH Home

La Shish

La Shish
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • La Shish

Post #1 - May 29th, 2004, 7:21 pm
    Post #1 - May 29th, 2004, 7:21 pm Post #1 - May 29th, 2004, 7:21 pm
    WOW, this was my third time here. La Shish is just outstanding.

From the moment the basket of woodfired mini pitas (hand made on site) is placed on the table, it is ALL good from there.

Today I had Sojok, lamb&beef mini sausages sauteed with spices, lemon and stewed tomatoes.

For the entr
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #2 - May 30th, 2004, 2:52 am
    Post #2 - May 30th, 2004, 2:52 am Post #2 - May 30th, 2004, 2:52 am
    Sweet Willie,

Detroit can support a chain like this, given its large Middle Eastern population, but I suspect its too early for something like this in Chicago. Still, it's an intriguing possibility (hey, franchise opportunities are available; I was half-tempted to fill in the form).

Thanks for the link. Have you ever had the ineptly named Potassium Broth?

David
  • Post #3 - May 31st, 2004, 9:03 pm
    Post #3 - May 31st, 2004, 9:03 pm Post #3 - May 31st, 2004, 9:03 pm
    David Hammond wrote: Have you ever had the ineptly named Potassium Broth?

No, should I have or what did you think of it?
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #4 - June 1st, 2004, 1:49 pm
    Post #4 - June 1st, 2004, 1:49 pm Post #4 - June 1st, 2004, 1:49 pm
    Funny, I was in Detroit this weekend and was really annoyed that I didn't make it to La Shish. I try and go whenever I'm in town; you're right, the fresh bread alone is reason enough to go. I'm not usually so all about chains, but La Shish does it well. The soup, the hommus...it's been a while so I'm forgetting my favorite dishes, but everything I've eaten there has always really impressed me.
  • Post #5 - June 1st, 2004, 2:36 pm
    Post #5 - June 1st, 2004, 2:36 pm Post #5 - June 1st, 2004, 2:36 pm
    j3s wrote:Funny, I was in Detroit this weekend and was really annoyed that I didn't make it to La Shish. I try and go whenever I'm in town; you're right, the fresh bread alone is reason enough to go. I'm not usually so all about chains, but La Shish does it well. The soup, the hommus...it's been a while so I'm forgetting my favorite dishes, but everything I've eaten there has always really impressed me.

You making it to Montreal next week?
    -Pete
  • Post #6 - June 1st, 2004, 3:09 pm
    Post #6 - June 1st, 2004, 3:09 pm Post #6 - June 1st, 2004, 3:09 pm
    Hey Pete, no Mutek Montreal for me, DEMF was enough for a while. Are you going? I didn't see you in Detroit.

To keep this chow-focused, there seems to be a shortage of decent restaurants in Grosse Pointe, where I crashed one of the nights last weekend. Ate some of the worst Thai I've ever experienced at a place called...Sy Thai? or something like that. I did end up at an afterparty at Oslo, Brooke's new sushi restaurant, but didn't have a chance to try the food there. The downstairs was decorated like a giant Jenga game.

Back to La Shish. I rode to Detroit with Jeffrey this weekend, who grew up there, is Lebanese, and hates on La Shish (hence me not getting to eat there). He claims there are tons of really great non-chain middle eastern places that are better than La Shish, but has yet to ever take me to any of them. Perhaps next time, though it looks like it's going to be a while.
  • Post #7 - June 4th, 2004, 7:19 pm
    Post #7 - June 4th, 2004, 7:19 pm Post #7 - June 4th, 2004, 7:19 pm
    j3s wrote:Hey Pete, no Mutek Montreal for me, DEMF was enough for a while. Are you going? I didn't see you in Detroit.

I kept putting off replying until I found some chow-centric response - and, well - I found one! But first, a minor OT threadjack.

I was hoping to do Mutek as a last minute deal, but it's simply not going to happen. (Glazer will probably mock me when he finds out.) You missed me in Detroit because I was hiding - in Chicago. We had our own parties to run that weekend, so I was sorta obligated to stay. (Yay for hands in the air trance? Ok, I didn't think so.)

Have you been to Nikki's in Greektown recently? I've heard it's gone downhill a bit. Then again, my last visit there was after Sammy Dee's birthday party at Panacea. It was 2am, I had strep and a 103 degree fever - and I was so delirious that I merely assumed I was drunk. I somehow managed to choke down a braised lamb shank despite the fact that swallowing water was painful - maybe I was at least a little drunk? It was bland and nothing to write home about, but it certainly wasn't worthy of the horrible protests voiced by the returning DEMF attendees that I directed there.

Anyway, take care. I'll bypass the oh-so-rude threadjacks and just email ya next time.
    -Pete
  • Post #8 - June 8th, 2004, 10:23 am
    Post #8 - June 8th, 2004, 10:23 am Post #8 - June 8th, 2004, 10:23 am
    Hey Pete -

I ate at Nikki's when I was in Detroit for the Festival. It was...as I've always remembered it. Good, but best when you've had a few drinks. Lots of cheese, lots of tomato saucey sauce, thick bready crust. Atom the vegan even ate some pizza, and he wasn't the only one feeling a little ill afterwards. The thing really I don't like about that place is that you can only get slices with pepparoni. If you want plain cheese, you have to pick off the pepparoni, which is UNDER the cheese. So I guess my Nikki's assessment is that it's great while you're eating it, but you might not feel so well later.

Glad to hear you had a good weekend here in Chi; you didn't miss anything about the festival, though the afterparties were a blast. And hey, there's always Carol's Marvin's DEMF that's coming to Soldier Field in August...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more