• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 5th, 2017, 2:42 pm
    Post #61 - March 5th, 2017, 2:42 pm Post #61 - March 5th, 2017, 2:42 pm
    460 jobs gone across the stores. Damn.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #62 - March 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm
    Post #62 - March 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm Post #62 - March 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm
    Kman wrote:460 jobs gone across the stores. Damn.
    Some of these closings if not all is their own fault. They remodeled their stores,raised their prices,and customers started looking elsewhere to shop.
  • Post #63 - March 6th, 2017, 12:21 am
    Post #63 - March 6th, 2017, 12:21 am Post #63 - March 6th, 2017, 12:21 am
    Artie wrote:
    Kman wrote:460 jobs gone across the stores. Damn.
    Some of these closings if not all is their own fault. They remodeled their stores,raised their prices,and customers started looking elsewhere to shop.

It isn't likely that any high level strategy changes were made by most of the folks losing their jobs. But in any case, assigning blame doesn't make the loss of these jobs any less lamentable.

=R=
    If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said faster horses --Henry Ford

Without wood, barbecue wouldn’t be barbecue -- Aaron Franklin

Freedom demands that those in power allow others to think for themselves.

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider
  • Post #64 - March 6th, 2017, 3:34 pm
    Post #64 - March 6th, 2017, 3:34 pm Post #64 - March 6th, 2017, 3:34 pm
    This is a shame, I liked the Elston store. But I can't imagine they didn't suffer when Mariano's opened a mile away. Where I was located, it was much easier to get to Mariano's than to get to Strack.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #65 - March 20th, 2017, 8:04 pm
    Post #65 - March 20th, 2017, 8:04 pm Post #65 - March 20th, 2017, 8:04 pm
    Bye-Bye.
    As one who lived in Logan Square for many, many years and used to shop there when it was CUB FOODS- I've seen a gradual decline in Stack & VanTil- from it's homogeneous, Jewel-ification, to the watery chicken-parts packages.

"Mike G"- a great hands-on Manager ran the store, quite well for many years, has been gone for 2 years now (took early-retirement to care for his ailing spouse)-
    and due to his absence; IMHO- is part of the reason for the stores decline.

There's just no comparison to the International, multi-cultural, low pricing at Pete's Fresh Market on Western @ Madison-
    my "go-to" store now.
    From fresh curry leaves :lol: to Thai Basil, $2.79lb. Boneless-skinless-Chicken-Thighs,
    to the widest assortment of Indian Basmati Rice this side of Devon Ave......
    Pete's is a chefs dream.
    I - for one- won't miss the closing of Strack and Van Til.
    And - the way they informed their front-end Managers of the news was a lesson in piss-poor-Management.
  • Post #66 - April 18th, 2017, 7:34 pm
    Post #66 - April 18th, 2017, 7:34 pm Post #66 - April 18th, 2017, 7:34 pm
    The death spiral continues. :(

The parent company of Region institution Strack & Van Til, Northwest Indiana's largest locally owned grocery store chain, plans to sell off 22 of its stores and close nine Ultra Foods discount supermarkets, company officials said Tuesday.

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/ ... 15215.html
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more