LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 14 of 14 
  • Post #391 - October 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm
    Post #391 - October 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm Post #391 - October 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm
    blipsman wrote:After repeated issues with that store (and a couple discussions with the manager by email & phone), I started hitting other Mariano's when near them...

Don't waste your time at the Ukrainian Village store at Chicago and Damen. The worst large chain grocery store I have ever been to. Anyone I know who has shopped there, has shared similar feelings.

It sucks since that is our closest grocery store.
  • Post #392 - October 12th, 2017, 1:39 am
    Post #392 - October 12th, 2017, 1:39 am Post #392 - October 12th, 2017, 1:39 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Drover wrote:The last two times we've gone there they had no green onions

At the risk of sounding like a Mariano's apologist Elston had green onions yesterday as I bought some. The three places I tend to grocery shop, not exclusively but in general, are Fresh Farm's Niles, Mariano's Elston and Viet Hoa on Argyle.

I wish the Fresh Farms was closer -- the Elston Mariano's is already kind of out of our way. That plus a floor plan that seems designed to maximize gridlock makes FF a no-go for us unless we're already in the area for something else.
  • Post #393 - October 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Post #393 - October 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm Post #393 - October 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Made a quick run through of the new Bannockburn Marianos.
    This one has a taco counter. I'll try it eventually.

The Todd's bbq is kind of "cramped." They have everything, however, they had a heated case set up and they were placing containers of weighed and priced brisket/ pork, and turkey into the heated case, for people to grab. The case also had prepacked bbq sandwiches - sliced brisket, pulled pork, some monstrous "bbq brisket cheesesteaks," and "fried chicken?"They were happily slicing the meats to order as well. Just had to get their attention behind the counter, and it took a long time. There was not a lot of space back there at all. Next to the Todd's counter, there was a self serve section for sides AND bbq meats. Looked like the ribs were sauced in the self serve section. I grabbed a pre-packed container of the brisket, but also asked for a fresh sliced 2lb container. The prepackaged one was not good. Obviously under the lamp for too long. I'm a fan of Mariano's brisket for the price. It's pretty consistent, since they have a Southern Pride, set and forget, and they will happily entertain request for fatty or lean (or a mix.) Today's Grand Opening special price on brisket was 9 bux a pound.

Smoked spares and smoked b-backs were 8 dollars a slab. I'm not a fan of their rub for the ribs, but I am a fan of their price, and these are smoked and (yaaaaaay!) unsauced. I bought a slab of each. Never tried their b-backs - I'm a spare guy through and through. For 8 bucks a slab, I'll give them a try for dinner tonight

They have a coupon book which I gather you have to ask for upon checkout. The coupon books had a few interesting freebies for upcoming days.

Sorry to the Marianos dissenters, but this changes the entire landscape of work lunches for me. I LOVE having this option for lunch up this way. I don't think Marianos is the greatest store of all time, but I do like the bbq for the price, and their "all butter" cookies are damn good. Not the regular stupid cookies. The ones that say "all butter" on them. Those are a hit.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #394 - December 7th, 2017, 1:03 pm
    Post #394 - December 7th, 2017, 1:03 pm Post #394 - December 7th, 2017, 1:03 pm
    What the heck are they doing to the Lawrence/Ravenswood store?

- Todd's is relegated to pre-made sandwiches and pre-sliced meats (and ribs that are whole slabs, but also under heat lamps). As y'all know, there is is nothing worse than pre-sliced bbq -- it dries out very quickly. If you can get "fresh" BBQ, it certainly isn't obvious.
    - The sushi bar is down to 4 seats. Pre-made sushi is much larger.
    - The oyster bar is gone.
    - One of the fridge/freezer aisles was replaced by shelves. This was the section nearest the candy shop, which usually had tons of chicken parts, and on the other side, the exotic meats, amongst other things.
    - The pre-made sandwiches are now grab-and-go. They used to be stacked behind glass and an employee had to wrap it and hand it to you.
    - They do seem to have added a higher emphasis on truly made to order sandwiches, and have a new made to order salad counter, where an employee mixes your salad for you on a chipotle-style assembly line. I don't get the salad thing, where I could just turn a 180 and grab my own salad from the salad bar from a much bigger selection of ingredients. This is going in the opposite direction of what I would expect.
    - The floral section from downstairs has taken over where the bulk spices used to be, next to the produce.
    - The downstairs area now seems to be, I dunno, a warming station for those wandering the neighborhood? The counter down there didn't have any tap-pulls mounted. It may still serve beer and wine, but it wasn't obvious. Otherwise it's totally unclear what is being sold down there. I can't imagine this area being permanently wasted in this way, but you never know.

In general, it feels like they converted to a model where there is much less personal service. I know that if this isn't a temporary situation I have no reason to go there anymore, and, in fact, my visits are probably down 80% year-over-year. They have removed most of the things that made them unique, while the competition has stepped up their game a touch to blur the differences even more. I'm guessing this is all Kroger homogenizing its chains.
  • Post #395 - December 7th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    Post #395 - December 7th, 2017, 1:06 pm Post #395 - December 7th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    kateem wrote:I'm guessing this is all Kroger homogenizing its chains.

Cutting costs because they've maxed out all meaningful top line growth.

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #396 - December 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm
    Post #396 - December 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm Post #396 - December 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm
    The Foster/Sheridan location has been trash for a long time, basic produce like onions regularly garbage or missing, fish and meats super sad, etc. Just a bad place to shop and I wish it wasn't my closest all purpose.
  • Post #397 - December 7th, 2017, 1:36 pm
    Post #397 - December 7th, 2017, 1:36 pm Post #397 - December 7th, 2017, 1:36 pm
    AlekH wrote:The Foster/Sheridan location has been trash for a long time, basic produce like onions regularly garbage or missing, fish and meats super sad, etc. Just a bad place to shop and I wish it wasn't my closest all purpose.

They still have the piano player! ;-)

As I am equidistant to the Jewel on Broadway at Berwyn and the Edgewater Mariano's, both get visits. I find both to be lacking at times. Mariano's gets the edge for better pricing on organic milk.
    -Mary
  • Post #398 - December 7th, 2017, 3:30 pm
    Post #398 - December 7th, 2017, 3:30 pm Post #398 - December 7th, 2017, 3:30 pm
    When I lived in the burbs, the closest Marianos was a decent option compared to Jewel. Now that I'm on the northside, I'd much rather go to the Edgewater Whole Foods than the Lawrence Marianos. The Marianos doesn't seem better than a Jewel to me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more