LTH Home

Where can I buy soy flour?

Where can I buy soy flour?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Where can I buy soy flour?

Post #1 - November 15th, 2017, 5:36 pm
    Post #1 - November 15th, 2017, 5:36 pm Post #1 - November 15th, 2017, 5:36 pm
    Hi- I often use 1 heaping tablespoon of soy flour and 1 tablespoon of water in place of one egg when I am making pancakes. I used to get soy flour in bulk at the WF in South Evanston until they closed last Spring. Neither one of the other WF in Evanston have it in their bulk section. Bob's Red Mill also has it, but when I went to the WF on Green Bay Road last week, I did not see it there. They might have just been out of it though.

Somebody told me that Fresh Thyme had it in bulk, and I stopped in the Deerfield store Monday while I was in the neighborhood, and they did not have any soy flour. I don't see how that store stays in business. I also sent an email ot Hodgson Mills to see if they could tell me what stores carried their bags of it. They emailed me back that they no longer sell soy flour. Does anybody know where I can get it? I know I can order it from Amazon, but I don't want to pay for shipping. Both Jewel and Mariano's used to carry it, but they discontinued it several years ago. I have not checked Valli yet, or the WF in downtown Evanston. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #2 - November 18th, 2017, 10:39 pm
    Post #2 - November 18th, 2017, 10:39 pm Post #2 - November 18th, 2017, 10:39 pm
    Hi- I went to both of the Whole Food stores in Evanston, and neither one of them had soy flour. I stopped into Valli produce today, and I found it. I am not sure how fresh it is. It was packaged in July, and it has a use by date of 7/18. At least I know where to find it though now. Is soy flour not gluten free? I assumed it was and that stores would carry it for that reason. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #3 - November 21st, 2017, 4:30 pm
    Post #3 - November 21st, 2017, 4:30 pm Post #3 - November 21st, 2017, 4:30 pm
    The Mariano's near me (Webster and Ashland) has things come and go. I wouldn't be surprised if they have Bob's Red Mill soy flour on occasion, then not again for weeks. You have to really look there, too, because they put similar things in different sections. I would also try Treasure Island, they have a surprising mix of products.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #4 - November 22nd, 2017, 7:36 am
    Post #4 - November 22nd, 2017, 7:36 am Post #4 - November 22nd, 2017, 7:36 am
    Bob's Red Mill makes it. I find their prices high as a general rule, but their quality is as well...so when I'm stuck, I know I can rely on their stuff. Not sure, but there is a good selection of their stuff at Fresh Farms (both locations). Good luck.

(Now if you can help me find a local source for chestnut flour... :) )
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #5 - November 22nd, 2017, 3:42 pm
    Post #5 - November 22nd, 2017, 3:42 pm Post #5 - November 22nd, 2017, 3:42 pm
    Both Jewel and Mariano's used to carry it, but they both put it on clearance a few years ago, and so I got a few packages for half price. Until they closed their South Evanston store last Spring, I used to buy it in bulk there. That was the cheapest place to buy it. The downtown Evanston store used to have the bags of Bob's, but they no longer do. I found out that it is gluten free, but it has an overpowering taste for many people who use more than a small amount, and that is probably why nobody carries it. Most people do not know about its use as an egg substitute, and plus a lot of people don't make pancakes or bake from scratch.

I did just go on Bob's website, and no they do not have chestnut flour, but they do have a $1 off coupon good for any Bob's product. I am pretty sure though that Valli does not allow you to use any printables. They are worried about counterfeit. I know Big Lots has Bob's products on sale every once in a while, but I am not sure if you can use coupons there.

Bob's has their soy flour and a bunch of other items on sale for 35% off right now, but you have to spend $50 in order to get free shipping. That is a life time supply of soy flour for me. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #6 - November 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm
    Post #6 - November 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm Post #6 - November 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:
    (Now if you can help me find a local source for chestnut flour... :) )

I seem to recall having seen it at Riviera on Harlem. I'm rarely travelling on Harlem Ave. much these days, but maybe one of the Oak Parkers can help you out. Worth checking the Caputo's at Harlem & Grand, too.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #7 - November 23rd, 2017, 7:11 pm
    Post #7 - November 23rd, 2017, 7:11 pm Post #7 - November 23rd, 2017, 7:11 pm
    NFriday wrote:Both Jewel and Mariano's used to carry it, but they both put it on clearance a few years ago, and so I got a few packages for half price. Until they closed their South Evanston store last Spring, I used to buy it in bulk there. That was the cheapest place to buy it. The downtown Evanston store used to have the bags of Bob's, but they no longer do.

Even if you find some acceptable Bob's Red Mill or other stuff, you might consider trying kinako (きなこ) – Japanese roasted soy flour. I have no idea if its physico-chemical properties are similar to unroasted (it might even make a better egg substitute, who knows?). The flavor will be different of course, but its nuttiness could be a good thing in certain recipes. It's not something I've ever looked for, but Mitsuwa would be the first place I'd check. I might try to get some next time I'm there. If you want to learn a lot more about kinako and related products, have a look at this rather amazing book from soy-obsessives William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi, authors of the great The Book of Tofu.

Roasted soy flour is also used in Korean cooking, so you might be able to find it at H-Mart or other Korean markets. Look for bokkeun konggaru (볶은 콩가루). It seems Koreans also use unroasted soy flour – nal konggaru (날 콩가루). If you find the Korean version, I bet it will be significantly cheaper than the Bob's Red Mill stuff.

Soy flour is used in other East Asian cuisines, but I'll leave that research up to you. By the way, my Japanese and Korean is limited to cutting and pasting, so the above might be full of errors.

Giovanna wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:(Now if you can help me find a local source for chestnut flour... :) )

I seem to recall having seen it at Riviera on Harlem. I'm rarely travelling on Harlem Ave. much these days, but maybe one of the Oak Parkers can help you out. Worth checking the Caputo's at Harlem & Grand, too.

I definitely bought farina di castagne somewhere in or around Chicago, but it was ages ago. Riviera and Caputo's both sound like good places to look. That seems like something Eataly would carry (at a steep price), doesn't it?
  • Post #8 - November 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm
    Post #8 - November 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm Post #8 - November 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm
    Hi- Actually I bought a bag at Valli of Bob's, I went to Treasure Island in Wilmette, and they actually had Bob's at least $.50 cheaper, and there was a dollar off coupon there that I could have used. I passed though, because a bag of it lasts me at least three months. They also had a Bob's egg replacer for $9 a bag, and the #1 ingredient was soy flour. I might try hmart the next time I am in the neighborhood too. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #9 - February 12th, 2021, 1:25 am
    Post #9 - February 12th, 2021, 1:25 am Post #9 - February 12th, 2021, 1:25 am
    Hi- I use soy flour as an egg substitute. One heaping tablespoon of soy flour equals one egg. I found out about this trick in the book Tightwad Gazette, which was popular in the 90's. It used to be cheaper to use the soy flour as opposed to buying eggs, and plus it keeps much longer. I used to buy my soy flour a Valli produce in Evanston. They carried bags of Bob's Red Mill soy flour. I was just there a few days ago to get some more, and they did not have it. The had a shelf tag for an egg replacer, but they were out of it, and plus it was over $8. I checked on Bob's Red Mill's website, and they might have quit selling it. Does anybody know where I can get bags of soy flour? Fresh Fields used to carry it, but I am not sure if they still do, and Whole Foods and Jewel used to carry it, but they discontinued it a few years ago. Does anybody know where I can get some.
  • Post #10 - February 12th, 2021, 10:39 am
    Post #10 - February 12th, 2021, 10:39 am Post #10 - February 12th, 2021, 10:39 am
    You couldn't find soy flour at any Asian markets?

Rene G wrote:
    In November 2017 NFriday wrote:Both Jewel and Mariano's used to carry it, but they both put it on clearance a few years ago, and so I got a few packages for half price. Until they closed their South Evanston store last Spring, I used to buy it in bulk there. That was the cheapest place to buy it. The downtown Evanston store used to have the bags of Bob's, but they no longer do.

Even if you find some acceptable Bob's Red Mill or other stuff, you might consider trying kinako (きなこ) – Japanese roasted soy flour. I have no idea if its physico-chemical properties are similar to unroasted (it might even make a better egg substitute, who knows?). The flavor will be different of course, but its nuttiness could be a good thing in certain recipes. It's not something I've ever looked for, but Mitsuwa would be the first place I'd check. I might try to get some next time I'm there. If you want to learn a lot more about kinako and related products, have a look at this rather amazing book from soy-obsessives William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi, authors of the great The Book of Tofu.

Roasted soy flour is also used in Korean cooking, so you might be able to find it at H-Mart or other Korean markets. Look for bokkeun konggaru (볶은 콩가루). It seems Koreans also use unroasted soy flour – nal konggaru (날 콩가루). If you find the Korean version, I bet it will be significantly cheaper than the Bob's Red Mill stuff.
  • Post #11 - February 12th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    Post #11 - February 12th, 2021, 7:18 pm Post #11 - February 12th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    Thanks- I tried to find the request I made a few years ago, and I could not. I never went to any Asian markets because I found it at Valli Produce. There might be a shortage of soy flour anyway. When I looked on Amazon, a lot of the offerings they normally have, were out of stock, including a 50 pound bag of soy flour, which is way more than what I need. I just bought a dozen eggs on Wednesday at Valli, and so I am set for at least another month.
  • Post #12 - March 25th, 2021, 9:26 am
    Post #12 - March 25th, 2021, 9:26 am Post #12 - March 25th, 2021, 9:26 am
    Rene G wrote:Roasted soy flour is also used in Korean cooking, so you might be able to find it at H-Mart or other Korean markets. Look for bokkeun konggaru (볶은 콩가루). It seems Koreans also use unroasted soy flour – nal konggaru (날 콩가루). If you find the Korean version, I bet it will be significantly cheaper than the Bob's Red Mill stuff.

Roasted soy flour is currently on sale at H-Mart for $3.99 (regularly $4.49) per pound.
  • Post #13 - March 25th, 2021, 10:12 am
    Post #13 - March 25th, 2021, 10:12 am Post #13 - March 25th, 2021, 10:12 am
    Thanks- I might go to Menards soon to pick up some gardening stuff, and hmart is not that far.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more