LTH Home

Things they have at Trader Joe's but not at Whole Foods

Things they have at Trader Joe's but not at Whole Foods
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - July 9th, 2009, 10:57 pm
    Post #91 - July 9th, 2009, 10:57 pm Post #91 - July 9th, 2009, 10:57 pm
    rickster wrote:Just because products are manufacturered at the same plant doesn't mean they are the same formula. This just proves that Lifeway is the supplier for TJs.

There may be minor differences, but it's equally likely it's the same as one of Lifeway's many products, simply under a different label. At any rate, since it's going through the same equipment, and the milk is likely from the same sources, the TJ product will probably be very similar, if not identical, to Lifeway.
  • Post #92 - July 11th, 2009, 3:18 pm
    Post #92 - July 11th, 2009, 3:18 pm Post #92 - July 11th, 2009, 3:18 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    rickster wrote:Just because products are manufacturered at the same plant doesn't mean they are the same formula. This just proves that Lifeway is the supplier for TJs.

There may be minor differences, but it's equally likely it's the same as one of Lifeway's many products, simply under a different label. At any rate, since it's going through the same equipment, and the milk is likely from the same sources, the TJ product will probably be very similar, if not identical, to Lifeway.
    The Lifeway products that I've seen (note this does not cover each and every Lifeway kefir ever made) have added fiber that is clearly described on their label. The TJ's product does not. It's easy enough to check the labels for those who are interested. There may be another store, somewhere, where I could find plain, lowfat, no fiber added Lifeway label kefir, but it's easily available to me at Trader Joe's.
    "things like being careful with your coriander/ that's what makes the gravy grander" - Sondheim
  • Post #93 - July 16th, 2009, 10:05 pm
    Post #93 - July 16th, 2009, 10:05 pm Post #93 - July 16th, 2009, 10:05 pm
    cilantro wrote:The tom yam rice crackers TJ just started selling are extremely tasty! They're topped with whole cashews, kaffir lime zest, and even a bit of spice. Beats the pants off of potato chips, that's for sure. Everybody needs to start buying these so I can be assured of getting my fix.

DISCONTINUED.

:x :x :x

Somebody want to tell me again why I shouldn't go on a shooting spree?
  • Post #94 - July 25th, 2009, 1:59 pm
    Post #94 - July 25th, 2009, 1:59 pm Post #94 - July 25th, 2009, 1:59 pm
    grits wrote:TJ's used to carry King Arthur flour, but now they have a TJs brand of flour...I'll probably hit this bag in a few weeks so I'll report back.
    I'm onto the TJ's white flour now. I had both bags open at the same time and the TJ's flour did not have that nice King Arthur smell to it. Made my fiirst "all TJ's" white bread yesterday. It was fine and I got the same results but it didn't seem to have the depth of flavor that bread made with KA has. However, if it was for brownies or something I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed.

The KA flour is $4.99 at Whole Foods. I don't have the receipt anymore for the TJ's flour but I think it was either the same price or maybe a dollar lower. So my takeaway is that I'd get the TJs flour if it's convenient and I'm out of flour, but otherwise since I make white bread a lot, I'll with KA.

Of course all this had me wondering if I could really pick out loaves of bread made with KA and TJ's flour in a blind taste test. :wink:
    "things like being careful with your coriander/ that's what makes the gravy grander" - Sondheim
  • Post #95 - July 26th, 2009, 6:26 am
    Post #95 - July 26th, 2009, 6:26 am Post #95 - July 26th, 2009, 6:26 am
    Re: King Arthur Flour

The Meijer stores stock a variety of King Arthur flours.
  • Post #96 - August 6th, 2009, 11:43 am
    Post #96 - August 6th, 2009, 11:43 am Post #96 - August 6th, 2009, 11:43 am
    cilantro wrote:
    cilantro wrote:The tom yam rice crackers TJ just started selling are extremely tasty! They're topped with whole cashews, kaffir lime zest, and even a bit of spice. Beats the pants off of potato chips, that's for sure. Everybody needs to start buying these so I can be assured of getting my fix.

DISCONTINUED.

I was pretty tee'd off this weekend to find my shower gel and the Vermont cottage cheese at TJ's gone and replaced by store brand. The shower gel I can get over, but TJ's store brand cottage cheese is not the same as the old Vermont brand. The Vermont cottage cheese was very tangy and dryer than most, and had active cultures in it, and I loved it. Grr.
  • Post #97 - August 6th, 2009, 3:29 pm
    Post #97 - August 6th, 2009, 3:29 pm Post #97 - August 6th, 2009, 3:29 pm
    cilantro wrote:

DISCONTINUED.

Somebody want to tell me again why I shouldn't go on a shooting spree?

Oak Park store just lied to me outright and said "temporarily out of stock." Gone is my favorite office snack.
  • Post #98 - August 6th, 2009, 4:08 pm
    Post #98 - August 6th, 2009, 4:08 pm Post #98 - August 6th, 2009, 4:08 pm
    i'm not sure they lied to you. the TJ's in deerfield told me they were discontinued. but a friend bought them last week on lincoln ave. possibly just the last remaining stock, but you might call around....
  • Post #99 - August 6th, 2009, 8:15 pm
    Post #99 - August 6th, 2009, 8:15 pm Post #99 - August 6th, 2009, 8:15 pm
    No, they've definitely been dropped, as confirmed by managers of two different stores. One offered to find nearby stores that still had some, but I didn't feel like pulling an Elaine Benes.
  • Post #100 - August 10th, 2009, 6:08 pm
    Post #100 - August 10th, 2009, 6:08 pm Post #100 - August 10th, 2009, 6:08 pm
    gleam wrote:The demi baguettes at WF South Loop are just as disgraceful as the full sized baguettes there. Same goes for the River Forest store. It's considerably worse than both the Trader Joe's baguette and the La Briola baguettes.

stevez wrote:
    sarcon wrote:
    at which Whole Foods did you purchase this non-disgraceful half baguette? I have never seen a half baguette at Whole Foods: I have only ever seen full size baguettes with a cottony flavorless crumb, a weak crust and that gross textured chewy bottom.

They sell the half-sized baugettes at the Saugaunash WF, but it's the same "flavorless crumb and weak crust" as the big ones. They'll do in a pinch, but I've got to be getting pinched pretty hard.

Did you ever purchase something at the store and say to yourself, "If I had only spent a couple of minutes on LTHForum, I could have saved myself from spending good money on bad food?" Well, let me join in the mob complaining about the Whole Foods baguette. I initially reached for a loaf of pumpernickel at the Peterson store, but felt someone pulling equally hard from the other end of the bread display. I looked up to find the bakery person looking at me, saying he was grabbing it for another customer. Oh well. I looked around and noticed the baguettes. I touched the outside of the bag and it was warm. Freshly baked bread at 6pm??? I was excited. So I purchased a "demi." It was only mildly crusty, way too soft for a real baguette. And it could not have been any more flavorless, almost Wonder-like. It's hard to be angry when you only spend $1.39 plus tax, but I felt deceived because no baker in his/her right mind would hold this bread out to be a baguette. Live and learn I guess.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more