LTH Home

How to make your rice cooker hop, skip and jump!

How to make your rice cooker hop, skip and jump!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 2:42 pm
    Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 2:42 pm Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 2:42 pm
    HI,

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker, which is often put into service for making oatmeal.

The other morning, I was going through my routine to make oatmeal. I dumped in a cup of oatmeal followed by two cups of milk. I peered in the rice cooker to see the oatmeal not seeped in milk. I then noticed a growing puddle of milk racing across the counter. I realized I did not have the pot in the ricer cooker.

I brought the rice cooker over the the sink to scoop out the oatmeal and rinse out the milk. As much water came out of the bottom as it did from the pot.

I am hoping the design allows for stupid people tricks or the occasional boil over. Hopefully I did not impair any electronics.

If I did kill it, then it is bye-bye rice cooker and hello instant-pot!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #62 - October 6th, 2017, 11:46 am
    Post #62 - October 6th, 2017, 11:46 am Post #62 - October 6th, 2017, 11:46 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker, which is often put into service for making oatmeal.

The other morning, I was going through my routine to make oatmeal. I dumped in a cup of oatmeal followed by two cups of milk. I peered in the rice cooker to see the oatmeal not seeped in milk. I then noticed a growing puddle of milk racing across the counter. I realized I did not have the pot in the ricer cooker.

I brought the rice cooker over the the sink to scoop out the oatmeal and rinse out the milk. As much water came out of the bottom as it did from the pot.

I am hoping the design allows for stupid people tricks or the occasional boil over. Hopefully I did not impair any electronics.

If I did kill it, then it is bye-bye rice cooker and hello instant-pot!

Regards,
    Cathy2

I've done it twice--but never got so far as putting the liquid in. Still shaking rice kernels out of it every once in a while. But it hasn't impeded performance at all. Of course, pouring in the liquid might be a bigger issue. But so long as it dries out before you use it again, I'd bet that its fine.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #63 - October 6th, 2017, 11:50 am
    Post #63 - October 6th, 2017, 11:50 am Post #63 - October 6th, 2017, 11:50 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I am hoping the design allows for stupid people tricks or the occasional boil over. Hopefully I did not impair any electronics.

Ironically, one of the steps technicians take when drying out electronic equipment (phones, etc.) that get dropped in water is to store it in uncooked rice to dry out the electronics.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #64 - October 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm
    Post #64 - October 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm Post #64 - October 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I am hoping the design allows for stupid people tricks or the occasional boil over. Hopefully I did not impair any electronics.

I had a child do the same sort of thing with a bread machine (the instructions we gave were to take the bucket out and put the ingredients in it, but apparently "it"wasn't clear). It took a lot of work but the wet floor got all cleaned out.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #65 - October 9th, 2017, 6:46 am
    Post #65 - October 9th, 2017, 6:46 am Post #65 - October 9th, 2017, 6:46 am
    Hi,

After waiting some days to let it dry out, I poured in a cup of water to see what would happen. It boiled the water away!

I am now cooking oatmeal without further worries!

Yay!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #66 - October 9th, 2017, 10:11 am
    Post #66 - October 9th, 2017, 10:11 am Post #66 - October 9th, 2017, 10:11 am
    Hooray! I love a happy ending.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #67 - April 21st, 2020, 4:38 pm
    Post #67 - April 21st, 2020, 4:38 pm Post #67 - April 21st, 2020, 4:38 pm
    Here's a new one on me from Cook with Mikey via Youtube. He also runs Strictly Dumpling, a fun far ranging food centric channel. Rice cooker chicken and rice using leftover fried chicken. Mikey says it reminds him of Hainanese chicken & rice ~shrug~ though surprisingly tasty all on its own.

I picked up Evanston Chicken Shack yesterday and my (over) order reflected the fact I wanted to try this for lunch today.

I used onion, garlic, celery, potato, cumin, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of Vegetarian No Chicken Base. You can add pretty much anything you want to the rice cooker, long as it includes fried chicken and rice.

One note, rice was a bit under-cooked at the end of the cycle, I added more water and ran it another ten minutes. I think some of the ingredients, mainly potato, absorbed more than their fair share of water. Add extra water to start over the rice cooker directions. The bride ate hers with a little soy/sesame oil. Me, chili oil/sesame oil.

ChickenRiceFriedYoutubeP2.jpg Rice cooker chicken rice w/ leftover fried chicken

ChickenRiceFriedYoutubeP3.jpg Rice cooker chicken rice w/ leftover fried chicken

Rice cooker chicken rice w/ leftover fried chicken, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #68 - April 21st, 2020, 8:02 pm
    Post #68 - April 21st, 2020, 8:02 pm Post #68 - April 21st, 2020, 8:02 pm
    Hi,

Somewhere in my house is a copy of Roger Ebert's book devoted to cooking on standard and fuzzy logic rice cookers. I never really read it, though it may have some creative ideas to exploit.

My Mom wants fried chicken. A purposeful over-order might be fun to try.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #69 - December 2nd, 2020, 10:17 pm
    Post #69 - December 2nd, 2020, 10:17 pm Post #69 - December 2nd, 2020, 10:17 pm
    does anyone have a rice cooker they love?
    our 30 year old one is kicking the bucket; although we own an instant pot my husband is fussy and wants a designated rice cooker replacement. grateful for brand/model recs!
  • Post #70 - December 2nd, 2020, 11:20 pm
    Post #70 - December 2nd, 2020, 11:20 pm Post #70 - December 2nd, 2020, 11:20 pm
    annak wrote:does anyone have a rice cooker they love?
    our 30 year old one is kicking the bucket; although we own an instant pot my husband is fussy and wants a designated rice cooker replacement. grateful for brand/model recs!

We love our Zojirushi 10-cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker (model NS-ZAC18), which is now 15 years old. During those 15 years, it's never failed us, nor have we ever wished we had a different or better rice cooker. I don't think this exact model is made anymore but my guess is that Zojirushi makes a similar one now.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #71 - December 6th, 2020, 7:28 pm
    Post #71 - December 6th, 2020, 7:28 pm Post #71 - December 6th, 2020, 7:28 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

We love our Zojirushi 10-cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker (model NS-ZAC18), which is now 15 years old. During those 15 years, it's never failed us, nor have we ever wished we had a different or better rice cooker. I don't think this exact model is made anymore but my guess is that Zojirushi makes a similar one now.

=R=

Agree! I don't know what Zojirushi we have, and I'm too lazy to check, but we love ours, which is 8-12 years old.
  • Post #72 - December 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm
    Post #72 - December 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm Post #72 - December 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm
    chgoeditor wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Agree! I don't know what Zojirushi we have, and I'm too lazy to check, but we love ours, which is 8-12 years old.

Lol—I was going to post exactly this yesterday—word for word. Still too lazy to go see if there’s anything on it that says what version it is—pretty sure I got it at Costco about 8-9 years ago. It’s my most-used small appliance.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #73 - December 6th, 2020, 11:05 pm
    Post #73 - December 6th, 2020, 11:05 pm Post #73 - December 6th, 2020, 11:05 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    chgoeditor wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Lol—I was going to post exactly this yesterday—word for word. Still too lazy to go see if there’s anything on it that says what version it is—pretty sure I got it at Costco about 8-9 years ago. It’s my most-used small appliance.

LOL, all I did was check my previous Amazon orders to find the model number. Since they make a variety of different tech, I thought it might be useful.

=R=
  • Post #74 - December 7th, 2020, 7:45 pm
    Post #74 - December 7th, 2020, 7:45 pm Post #74 - December 7th, 2020, 7:45 pm
    So, based on everyone's feedback (thank you!) as well as Kenji and a few other sources confirming that Zojirushi is best, we got one (the basic 10cup available these days, somewhat digital but not too newfangled, for $130), and we test drove it today. Somehow the machine thinks regular kokuho rice takes 50 minutes. It came out fine but we would have been sore if we'd started it closer to actual dinner time (we jump started for the thrill of opening the box). Is this...normal? Our kaput one only took 20 minutes.
  • Post #75 - December 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm
    Post #75 - December 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm Post #75 - December 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm
    annak wrote:So, based on everyone's feedback (thank you!) as well as Kenji and a few other sources confirming that Zojirushi is best, we got one (the basic 10cup available these days, somewhat digital but not too newfangled, for $130), and we test drove it today. Somehow the machine thinks regular kokuho rice takes 50 minutes. It came out fine but we would have been sore if we'd started it closer to actual dinner time (we jump started for the thrill of opening the box). Is this...normal? Our kaput one only took 20 minutes.

Yep, 45-50 minutes for most varieties of white rice.

=R=
  • Post #76 - December 7th, 2020, 8:16 pm
    Post #76 - December 7th, 2020, 8:16 pm Post #76 - December 7th, 2020, 8:16 pm
    annak wrote:So, based on everyone's feedback (thank you!) as well as Kenji and a few other sources confirming that Zojirushi is best, we got one (the basic 10cup available these days, somewhat digital but not too newfangled, for $130), and we test drove it today. Somehow the machine thinks regular kokuho rice takes 50 minutes. It came out fine but we would have been sore if we'd started it closer to actual dinner time (we jump started for the thrill of opening the box). Is this...normal? Our kaput one only took 20 minutes.

How much rice did you make? The time needed to boil water varies linearly with the amount, so if you're doing the full 10 cups, 50 minutes doesn't sound crazy. I usually only make 3 cups, which takes maybe 15 minutes.
  • Post #77 - December 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm
    Post #77 - December 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm Post #77 - December 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm
    cilantro wrote:

How much rice did you make? The time needed to boil water varies linearly with the amount, so if you're doing the full 10 cups, 50 minutes doesn't sound crazy. I usually only make 3 cups, which takes maybe 15 minutes.

We usually make 2 cups and that takes 45-50 minutes.

=R=
  • Post #78 - December 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm
    Post #78 - December 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm Post #78 - December 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm
    Wow! I guess my cooker's much older and pretty bare bones. But it's definitely much faster.
  • Post #79 - December 8th, 2020, 12:08 am
    Post #79 - December 8th, 2020, 12:08 am Post #79 - December 8th, 2020, 12:08 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    cilantro wrote:

=R=

Ditto. And since it keeps perfectly all day, I usually just throw the rice and stock/water (I often sub chicken stock for 1/2 the water) into the cooker in the morning when I’m making coffee and leave it all day. Delicious!
  • Post #80 - December 8th, 2020, 6:21 pm
    Post #80 - December 8th, 2020, 6:21 pm Post #80 - December 8th, 2020, 6:21 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    cilantro wrote:

=R=

Ditto. And since it keeps perfectly all day, I usually just throw the rice and stock/water (I often sub chicken stock for 1/2 the water) into the cooker in the morning when I’m making coffee and leave it all day. Delicious!

That's what I love about the rice cooker. While I don't necessarily cook my rice in the morning, I love that I can cook it when I think about it, and know it will be great when I'm ready to eat dinner.
  • Post #81 - October 13th, 2022, 6:31 am
    Post #81 - October 13th, 2022, 6:31 am Post #81 - October 13th, 2022, 6:31 am
    Had a one button Hitachi for 15-years I loved. A pair of Aroma’s after, that I did not love. Am fairly proficient at stove top rice.

But.

Succumbed to the siren song of the Zojirushi. Used it 5-6 times so far. Perfect each time. Held rice yesterday for 5-hours and could hardly tell the difference between fresh made.

Zojirushi, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #82 - October 13th, 2022, 9:01 am
    Post #82 - October 13th, 2022, 9:01 am Post #82 - October 13th, 2022, 9:01 am
    My Z machine is over 10 years old now and I haven't noticed any change --it's a beast :D
  • Post #83 - October 13th, 2022, 7:02 pm
    Post #83 - October 13th, 2022, 7:02 pm Post #83 - October 13th, 2022, 7:02 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:My Z machine is over 10 years old now and I haven't noticed any change --it's a beast :D

Mine was purchased in early 2005 (so, coming up on 18 years) and it's still working as flawlessly as it was on Day 1. I don't know what I'd do without. They're relatively expensive but if our durability stories are typical, they're a great value.

=R=
  • Post #84 - October 14th, 2022, 12:24 pm
    Post #84 - October 14th, 2022, 12:24 pm Post #84 - October 14th, 2022, 12:24 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:My Z machine is over 10 years old now and I haven't noticed any change --it's a beast :D

Mine was purchased in early 2005 (so, coming up on 18 years) and it's still working as flawlessly as it was on Day 1. I don't know what I'd do without. They're relatively expensive but if our durability stories are typical, they're a great value.

=R=

Our Sanyo rice cooker is pushing 30 years old and still works as good as new.
  • Post #85 - October 14th, 2022, 1:00 pm
    Post #85 - October 14th, 2022, 1:00 pm Post #85 - October 14th, 2022, 1:00 pm
    I was shocked when my (ex)wife who grew up in Japan spent over $200 on a Zojirushi many many years ago but I quickly came to appreciate it as a flawless fire-and-forget appliance.
  • Post #86 - October 15th, 2022, 12:11 pm
    Post #86 - October 15th, 2022, 12:11 pm Post #86 - October 15th, 2022, 12:11 pm
    Made a batch of porridge, aka congee, in my new Zojirushi today. Used Nishiki medium grain rice. Perfect. Every grain “exploded “ but not mushy. Clean flavor. Great consistency. Pleased to say the least.

1-1/2 cups of rice. Of the 6-oz cups that come with the rice cooker. Made a boatload of congee.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #87 - November 1st, 2022, 8:02 am
    Post #87 - November 1st, 2022, 8:02 am Post #87 - November 1st, 2022, 8:02 am
    If I feel like eating, I want carbs. I usually want something like mashed potatoes or mac and cheese. Comfort food. I also like some kind of cola, especially if I have a sore throat or an upset stomach.
  • Post #88 - January 6th, 2023, 2:19 pm
    Post #88 - January 6th, 2023, 2:19 pm Post #88 - January 6th, 2023, 2:19 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Made a batch of porridge, aka congee, in my new Zojirushi today. Used Nishiki medium grain rice. Perfect.

Had my Zojirushi 5-6 months now. Use it often. Mainly jasmine or short grain rice. Also congee once a week or so. Eating congee this very moment.

Highly recommend.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #89 - January 6th, 2023, 5:03 pm
    Post #89 - January 6th, 2023, 5:03 pm Post #89 - January 6th, 2023, 5:03 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Had my Zojirushi 5-6 months now. Use it often. Mainly jasmine or short grain rice. Also congee once a week or so. Eating congee this very moment.

There are so many people on this forum who I respect as to their cooking acumen ( obviously including you, Gary ) who sing the praises of rice cookers. I still come down to - it's so easy to cook excellent rice on the stove top - I just don't need another device.
  • Post #90 - January 6th, 2023, 6:47 pm
    Post #90 - January 6th, 2023, 6:47 pm Post #90 - January 6th, 2023, 6:47 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:Had my Zojirushi 5-6 months now. Use it often. Mainly jasmine or short grain rice. Also congee once a week or so. Eating congee this very moment.

There are so many people on this forum who I respect as to their cooking acumen ( obviously including you, Gary ) who sing the praises of rice cookers. I still come down to - it's so easy to cook excellent rice on the stove top - I just don't need another device.

Can’t speak for the others but my rice cooker is going pretty much all day every day. I make a 2-3 cup batch and use about a 1/2 cup of cooked rice in my breakfast each day and with dinner once or twice a week. The warmer function obviously can’t be replicated on the stovetop.

I also never seemed to get my rice the consistency I wanted on the stovetop—the rice maker is foolproof.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more