LTH Home

Carrots agro dolce recipe (or something similar)?

Carrots agro dolce recipe (or something similar)?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Carrots agro dolce recipe (or something similar)?

Post #1 - November 20th, 2007, 1:29 pm
    Post #1 - November 20th, 2007, 1:29 pm Post #1 - November 20th, 2007, 1:29 pm
    All my cookbooks are in boxes.
    I feel like making something in this line and a search through epicurious and our own recipe index didn't turn up anything really close. (Possibly my search parameters were sub-optimal.)
    In any case, does anyone have anything like that in their repertoire?
    Carrots/endive/parsnips -- any combo like that in a braised sort of sweet/sour treatment (not too sweet) would be great.
    I could fake it, but if someone had something they loved, I'd try it.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #2 - November 20th, 2007, 10:13 pm
    Post #2 - November 20th, 2007, 10:13 pm Post #2 - November 20th, 2007, 10:13 pm
    Carrots in agro dolce

Carrot-and-onion agrodolce

Italian carrots Catarina

Ayurvedic sweet and sour carrots

Sweet and sour carrots North African-style

Lucia's Moroccan sweet and sour carrots

Radicchio variegato all'agrodolce

Zucchini in agrodolce

Caponatina di melanzane in agrodolce

Sicilian sweet and sour vegetables

Carote alla Giudia
    Sweet-and-sour carrots, Italian-Jewish style

Think of this as Italian tzimmes.

1/2 cup pine nuts
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and thickly sliced on the bias
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over low heat, stirring, until lightly golden. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the raisins, vinegar, 4 tablespoons of the oil and the sugar and stir to combine. Season with the salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat the remaining oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add the carrots and saute until they they start to brown and caramelize.

Add the vinegar mixture to the pan. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and parsley. Serve hot. 6 servings.

Suss-saures karotten
    German carrots

This is basically a variation on German potato salad. It works with parsnips and other starchy root vegetables, too.

1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
    Salt
    1/4 pound bacon, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper or to taste

Parcook the carrots in salted boiling water until tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain well.

In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon till crisp over medium-high heat. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the carrots to the hot fat and cook till they begin to brown and caramelize. Add the onion and continue cooking just till they lose their raw look. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.

Stir the vinegar and sugar into the fat in the pan and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the carrots and onions. Add the reserved bacon and toss well. Season with ground white pepper and salt to taste.

Serve hot or at room temperature. 6 servings.
  • Post #3 - November 21st, 2007, 7:58 am
    Post #3 - November 21st, 2007, 7:58 am Post #3 - November 21st, 2007, 7:58 am

I make a variation of this recipe occasionally--so yummy!
  • Post #4 - February 20th, 2018, 5:20 am
    Post #4 - February 20th, 2018, 5:20 am Post #4 - February 20th, 2018, 5:20 am
    mrbarolo wrote:Carrots/endive/parsnips -- any combo like that in a braised sort of sweet/sour treatment (not too sweet) would be great.

Mr. B,
    Timely response on my part. :)

I've been making Alan Lake/Jazzfood's take on Vichy Carrots for years.

Carrots Vichy:
    Alan Lake

Serves 4

2 cups peeled carrots, sliced thin on bias
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    1/2 cup mineral water (Evian, Fuji). this dish originally used Vichy water, hence the name
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    Sliced scallions or chives for garnish

In a large skillet, melt butter on med-high heat
    When butter foam recedes, add carrots and toss
    Add brown sugar, salt & pepper, toss
    Add water and lemon juice, toss, bring to a boil, decrease temp to medium, cover
    Reduce by 100 %, tossing every now and then (but not too often, the idea is to brown/crisp the carrots in the butter) scrape if need be but do not burn.
    Garnish with chopped scallion at end. let them wilt slightly in the pan
    Adjust seasonings and serve
    Note: I increased the amount of lemon juice in original recipe.

VCLTH2.jpg Vichy Carrots

VCLTH1.jpg Vichy carrots plated with T-bone lamb chop and latkes.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - February 21st, 2018, 12:58 pm
    Post #5 - February 21st, 2018, 12:58 pm Post #5 - February 21st, 2018, 12:58 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I've been making Alan Lake/Jazzfood's take on Vichy Carrots for years.

They were awesome last night. I had a shallot, so used some of that, minced and tossed into the cooking pot, instead of the green onions (which would have been nice for color contrast). And I used the juice of 1/2 a lemon, didn't measure that.

Literally just tossed everything into the pot, covered it, stirred once. Removed lid, let it reduce, stirring occasionally so it didn't stick.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more