LTH Home

A post-Thanksgiving challenge: Eat things in your kitchen

A post-Thanksgiving challenge: Eat things in your kitchen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • A post-Thanksgiving challenge: Eat things in your kitchen

- November 26th, 2007, 10:22 am
    - November 26th, 2007, 10:22 am Post #1 - November 26th, 2007, 10:22 am
    Like every other LTH'er, I love food. For me, a trip to the grocery store isn't just about stocking up on necessities...it's entertainment! As a consequence, I end up buying more than I need--a lot more than I need. And, I reluctantly acknowledge, stuff goes to waste.

After Thanksgiving last year, I made a vow: Until Xmas, I'd avoid the grocery store for all except perishable necessities. All of my at-home meals would be made from things already in the house. Not only did I save money, but I discovered that it was a bit of an adventure. I don't use many recipes, so I felt free to improvise with random ingredients in my pantry. I easily saved a couple hundred dollars, had fun doing it, and introduced several new dishes into my regular rotation.

(Disclaimer: This is a bit easier because I'm single and spend the holidays with relatives. And the holiday season may not be the easiest time for everyone to try this, particularly if you do much holiday entertaining, or want to cook dozens of batches of cookies, etc.)

Now that Thanksgiving is over, I'm going to try it again. Between now and Christmas, I'll only go to the grocery store for things like milk and fruits/veggies. Or if I've eaten through most of the major food groups in my kitchen. But off the top of my head, I know that I have a lot of stuff that can be eaten and combined into new dishes. (And I didn't stock up in anticipation of this challenge.) For example:

Protein:
    Frozen shrimp, leftover turkey, turkey coldcuts, canned Costco salmon tuna, peanut and almond butter, eggs, a few boxes of frozen Morningstar thingies, nuts

Dairy:
    Cottage cheese, a couple cheeses bought at WF within the last week, a gallon of milk, some yogurt, ice cream

Grains and breads:
    Pasta and more pasta, rice, quinoa, frozen naan, flour, bread crumbs, loads of boxes of cereal, oats

Fruits:
    Apples, asian pears, several pounds of frozen fruits (strawberries, rasberries and blueberries), lemons and oranges

Veggies:
    Carrots, scallions, beets, olives, frozen spinach, frozen corn, frozen peas, frozen green garbanzos, frozen edamame, frozen mixed green veggies, canned diced tomatoes and tomatillos, canned jalepenos, anned green chiles

Condiments and sauces:
    Everything under the sun, including vinegars, mustards, mayos, olive oils, truffle oils, soy sauces, fresh, frozen and dried spices, etc.

Other canned goods:
    A lot of soups

Anyone else up for the challenge?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events