LTH Home

Fun with Leftovers

Fun with Leftovers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - November 30th, 2018, 4:11 pm
    Post #61 - November 30th, 2018, 4:11 pm Post #61 - November 30th, 2018, 4:11 pm
    2134 N Western. They still had thighs as of Wednesday when I was there, but I make no guarantees. I can't remember the less expensive ones I got for the holiday but I do know they were like $3 a lb. They also had Slagel Farms birds and parts.
  • Post #62 - December 1st, 2018, 8:29 am
    Post #62 - December 1st, 2018, 8:29 am Post #62 - December 1st, 2018, 8:29 am
    tyrus wrote:
    She would pour this mixture into one or two baking pans (large cake pans) and place biscuits over it and bake until the biscuits were done. It would result in warm biscuits over a turkey and gravy mixture.

Growing up in central Illinois, we did this routinely with leftover roast beef. We diced the leftover carrots and potatoes, maybe threw in some peas. Our "meat pie" had more of a broth than a gravy, but had the same biscuits on top. Yummmm
  • Post #63 - December 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am
    Post #63 - December 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am Post #63 - December 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am
    tcdup wrote:tyrus wrote:
    She would pour this mixture into one or two baking pans (large cake pans) and place biscuits over it and bake until the biscuits were done. It would result in warm biscuits over a turkey and gravy mixture.

Growing up in central Illinois, we did this routinely with leftover roast beef. We diced the leftover carrots and potatoes, maybe threw in some peas. Our "meat pie" had more of a broth than a gravy, but had the same biscuits on top. Yummmm

This sounds great as well. I know that it was my favorite part of the "leftover" meals after Thanksgiving. My grandmother used all types of "biscuits/buns" from homemade to Pillsbury tube kind. I think the way I would go with my current options is the "take and bake" buns in the bakery section of my grocer. Sometimes the bottom of the homemade buns don't cook all the way through, so for ease of use - I think a parbaked bun may work best - although I did really like the Pillsbury flaky tube kind.
  • Post #64 - December 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm
    Post #64 - December 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm Post #64 - December 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm
    Hi,

My Dad came home from an event with lots of green beans. I was not in the mood for a green bean casserole. I opted for a Salad Nicoise, which did an excellent job of clearing some odds and ends from the fridge: marinated artichokes, olives, boiled potatoes and a shiitake vinaigrette, plus some other stuff.

I never think of this as a winter dish, though it sure did work out fine.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #65 - October 31st, 2019, 2:55 pm
    Post #65 - October 31st, 2019, 2:55 pm Post #65 - October 31st, 2019, 2:55 pm
    Hi,

Yesterday's roast duck was made into an Asian-flavored stock (star anise, ginger, green onions). Peeled away any skin found to make cracklings.

I boiled several eggs. After they were finished, I added more water to cook some very thin Chinese egg noodles purchased at Woodman's. I salted the water, then learned not to bother next time. These noodles seemed to be already seasoned. They were initially over salty, though a little time spent in fresh water corrected this issue.

When it was time to serve, I placed a generous quantity of noodles into a bowl, then peeled and halved a boiled egg for each serving. I placed a quantity of duck meat on the side, then poured over very hot duck broth. Sprinkled sesame seeds and slivered scallions, then we finally had lunch.

What I really loved about this treatment: it did not feel like we were eating leftovers.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #66 - June 21st, 2020, 10:19 pm
    Post #66 - June 21st, 2020, 10:19 pm Post #66 - June 21st, 2020, 10:19 pm
    HI,

I had some leftover rice, which was on the verge of being a leftover too long.

I had some asparagus, which needed cooking or it was threatening to escape to the mulch pile.

Earlier in the week, I made an asparagus frittata keeping the tips whole, cutting the stalks into 1/4 inch slices to partially cook in oil before being joined by eggs.

For today's fried rice, I again kept the tips whole (except one I sent to the mulch bin), sliced the stalks 1/4 inch, then began frying in some oil. Once partially cooked, I added the rice, oyster sauce, then once almost done swept open the center to cook an egg in sesame oil. Before it hit the table, I added some chopped scallions.

Nobody complained, which is good enough sometimes.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #67 - August 19th, 2020, 9:34 am
    Post #67 - August 19th, 2020, 9:34 am Post #67 - August 19th, 2020, 9:34 am
    For dinner last week, we had those wonderful Oklahoma onion burgers. Each burger is 2.5 ounces or six burgers from a pound with an ounce of meat leftover.

An ounce of meat was not the issue, it was two hamburger buns left from a package of eight. This bag of buns has been getting in the way, especially when I had no real purpose for them.

This morning while searching for a quick breakfast before a meeting, I decided to make breakfast with the buns. I effectively made a breakfast sandwich with an egg fried in a ring to keep it compact. I spread Kewpie mayonnaise on the bread, a put a small layer of cheddar cheese, then plopped the egg on top along with salt and pepper.

A problem I have never had an McDonald's: my yolk squirted on my shirt just before show time. Next time I may just pop the yolk and let it ooze onto my plate, then get some liquid yolk with every bite.

Instead this time, I did the quick change to avoid explaining my attire.

Leftover buns will now likely be breakfast, if not consumed as a sandwich of some type.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #68 - April 5th, 2021, 2:10 pm
    Post #68 - April 5th, 2021, 2:10 pm Post #68 - April 5th, 2021, 2:10 pm
    Yesterdays potato gratin morphed into potato and ham soup. Pineapple gratin was simply reheated as a side. If anyone was still hungry, then it was ham sandwiches.

Cathy2

• Post #69 - January 7th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    Post #69 - January 7th, 2022, 9:59 pm Post #69 - January 7th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    Hi,

It always seems to make no sense to make two loaves of bread. The second one almost always goes stale, then it needs to be repurposed or tossed.

Next week's cookbook club is a Gale Gand book on lunch. When she offers focaccia bread at Elawa Farms in Lake Forest, she often has some leftover. A friend of hers suggested making bread sticks.

My drying Japanese milk bread was easily repurposed into bread sticks: brush with olive oil, roll in Parmesan and black pepper, then bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes turning once.

Now I can make some fresh bread.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #70 - January 8th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Post #70 - January 8th, 2022, 8:00 am Post #70 - January 8th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,
    It always seems to make no sense to make two loaves of bread. The second one almost always goes stale, then it needs to be repurposed or tossed.

I always make bread 2 loaves at a time and slice and freeze both loaves.
  • Post #71 - January 8th, 2022, 8:27 am
    Post #71 - January 8th, 2022, 8:27 am Post #71 - January 8th, 2022, 8:27 am
    lougord99 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I always make bread 2 loaves at a time and slice and freeze both loaves.

Each family has their style of handling things.

Rye bread ends up in the freezer, because it moves slowly.
    Cathy2

• Post #72 - September 26th, 2022, 8:26 pm
    Post #72 - September 26th, 2022, 8:26 pm Post #72 - September 26th, 2022, 8:26 pm
    HI,

Bolognese sauce is a great recycler of leftover meats.

This only occured to me recently, then a friend today talked about grinding up leftover meat from an event for a meat sauce. Great minds think alike or people have been doing this without my notice.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #73 - December 21st, 2022, 3:33 pm
    Post #73 - December 21st, 2022, 3:33 pm Post #73 - December 21st, 2022, 3:33 pm
    Hi,

Chow Fun is a good place to deal with leftover odds and ends:
    - Last bits of Sunday's roast chicken* and smashed potatoes
    - Cabbage from Monday's Corned Beef
    - Last of my frozen Char Siu
    - Stems of asparagus (the tips are for another day)
    - Freshly sliced onion

I used a simple sauce of fermented black beans, soy and oyster sauces.

Everyone liked it and I gained some room in the refrigerator.

Regards,
    Cathy2

*I made congee using chicken and duck frames to flavor the stock.
    Cathy2

• Post #74 - December 21st, 2022, 8:30 pm
    Post #74 - December 21st, 2022, 8:30 pm Post #74 - December 21st, 2022, 8:30 pm
    Working our way through a Costco rotisserie chicken. With reiterative leftovers.

Day 1 we ate one breast, a leg and a wing with salad and homemade biscuits.
    Day 2 I made Japanese curry (packaged curry, potato, carrot, onion, mushroom, leftover roasted squash) with about half of what was left, shredded. Over rice, there was enough left over for three lunches.
    (Day 3 we ate something else)
    Day 4, I pulled out a container of stewed tomatoes, garlic, onions and peppers that were leftover from making ropa vieja, added tomato paste, oregano, red wine, pepper flakes and most of what was left of the chicken, served over linguini...

I've still got a lunch-worth of curry, a cup of sauce, and a cup of shredded chicken.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #75 - December 30th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    Post #75 - December 30th, 2022, 3:06 pm Post #75 - December 30th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    HI,

Not my leftovers. They were someone elses who dropped them off:

- Spinach Artichoke Dip --- Boiled some pasta and this dip with some pasta water added in to thin became the sauce.
    - Tuna fish was dropped off because too much mayo was added and the finished product was not liked. I intend to add breadcrumbs and other stuff to make tunafish cakes.

Now I can go back to dealing with my own inventions.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #76 - February 18th, 2023, 4:47 pm
    Post #76 - February 18th, 2023, 4:47 pm Post #76 - February 18th, 2023, 4:47 pm
    Working through some leftovers and pantry items for today's lunch, with some reuben-inspired kielbasa melts . . .

Kielbasa 'Reuben' Melts
    Toasted ciabatta, homemade sauerkraut, leftover charcoal-grilled kielbasa, leftover grilled onion, yellow mustard, muenster and 'Merikan cheeses.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #77 - January 20th, 2024, 10:07 pm
    Post #77 - January 20th, 2024, 10:07 pm Post #77 - January 20th, 2024, 10:07 pm
    HI,

Due to an unexpected gift of a ham, we had three hams in the house. Heir and spare was fine, but three was just too much. Since it was a spiral cut ham, which I never buy, it was easy to prioritize it's cook.

I made Japanese milk bread to provide a platform for those seeking sandwich. I full intended to make ham salad, but this ham really was eaten fast.

I did make stock from the bone, minced up whatever ham was left (about two cups), added two cups of sauerkraut with juices, and sliced and cooked about half pound mushrooms. I did find the stock a bit weak, so I dropped in Chinese ham and Polish mushroom bouillon cubes. This was a great soup with a Slavic feel, so of course dollops of sour cream were in order.

I always have mushroom bouillon cubes at home. The Chinese ham bouillon was an impulse buy a few years ago.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more