LTH Home

How to reheat

How to reheat
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • How to reheat

Post #1 - August 4th, 2008, 10:53 am
    Post #1 - August 4th, 2008, 10:53 am Post #1 - August 4th, 2008, 10:53 am
    Good morning,

I'm doing some cooking for a suprise party on Saturday. It's a polish style party (I'm Italian so go figure) and I got tasked with making pierogi and latkes. I plan on cooking them all Saturday morning, but the party isn't till 3 or 4. How can I reheat these items so their still crisp?

Regards
    Sandro
  • Post #2 - August 4th, 2008, 11:34 am
    Post #2 - August 4th, 2008, 11:34 am Post #2 - August 4th, 2008, 11:34 am
    Can you par-cook them and panfry them at the last minute? Frying in very hot oil can keep things crispy, even if reheated. Otherwise, I'd suggest a very hot oven - but you'll risk drying them out.
  • Post #3 - August 4th, 2008, 11:48 am
    Post #3 - August 4th, 2008, 11:48 am Post #3 - August 4th, 2008, 11:48 am
    I have a lot of experience reheating latkes.

I suggest you cook them fully in the morning, let them cool to room temperature before wrapping them, and then reheat in a 350-400 degree oven when ready to serve. They won't get too dry and this is much easier than pan frying them just before serving.

Although I don't have any experience making pierogis, I have bought them and reheated at home. I suggest following the same method. Cook fully in the morning. Let cool to room temperature before wrapping. Reheat in a 350 degree oven.

Report back on your method and results.
  • Post #4 - August 4th, 2008, 9:07 pm
    Post #4 - August 4th, 2008, 9:07 pm Post #4 - August 4th, 2008, 9:07 pm
    Are you making placki kartoflane or latkes? The recipes are a little different. Jewish-style potato pancakes do not reheat well. Polish potato pancakes, which typically have a higher percentage of flour, may reheat better through just warming in a hot oven. Latkes typically become heavy and greasy.

This is the method that has worked best for me when making latkes ahead:

Parfry the latkes till they hold together but are not browned. Drain well on paper towels.

To reheat, pour oil to reach about 1/4-inch high in a jellyroll pan set on an oven rack. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. When the oil is sizzling, add your parcooked pancakes in a single layer. Flip them when browned on the bottom and brown the other side. Remove to drain on paper towels. (Leave the oil-filled jellyroll pan to cool in the oven. Do not attempt to remove it while it is still hot.)

Whenever possible, though, I prefer to make the batter ahead and cook the latkes fresh during the party. Latkes are best hot from the pan.
  • Post #5 - August 4th, 2008, 11:20 pm
    Post #5 - August 4th, 2008, 11:20 pm Post #5 - August 4th, 2008, 11:20 pm
    Do you have a recipe for placki kartoflane?
  • Post #6 - August 5th, 2008, 12:03 pm
    Post #6 - August 5th, 2008, 12:03 pm Post #6 - August 5th, 2008, 12:03 pm
    Hi,

I have a friend who is a retired caterer. She said reheated is never quite as good as fresh, though it is what you can do.

If they are to be reheated, she prefers to keep the latkes on the small side, because they are easier to heat through. She recommended draining them very thoroughly with paper towels. When you are ready to reheat, then preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the latkes on one layer on a cookie sheet. No layering. No foil on top. Reheat them until they begin to sizzle, then serve immediately.

Are you planning to simply boil your pierogis or are you pan frying, too? If boiling, then you can precook them at home and drop them in boiling water for a minute or so to reheat. If you are panfrying, then maybe take the same approach as the latkes.

If you have time in advance, you may want to experiment on reheating the pierogis to be on the safe side.

Let us know how it all worked out.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - August 5th, 2008, 2:52 pm
    Post #7 - August 5th, 2008, 2:52 pm Post #7 - August 5th, 2008, 2:52 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the latkes on one layer on a cookie sheet. No layering. No foil on top. Reheat them until they begin to sizzle, then serve immediately.

I have watched my mother ruin more latkes this way then i care to remember. You have to pay very close attention as the oil in the latke's heats up fast and will turn them into little hockey pucks if you are not careful.
  • Post #8 - August 5th, 2008, 7:14 pm
    Post #8 - August 5th, 2008, 7:14 pm Post #8 - August 5th, 2008, 7:14 pm
    spseminara wrote:Do you have a recipe for placki kartoflane?

They are also called placki ziemniaczane and the recipe here looks fairly authentic to me, but I am not Polish. A search of the net offers all kinds of recipes, some of which seem identical to latkes, but when I've been served these pancakes in Polish homes and restaurants, they've always seemed somewhat more "pancake-y" than Jewish latkes.

There is also a version made with mashed potatoes called kotlety ziemniaczane.
  • Post #9 - January 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm
    Post #9 - January 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm Post #9 - January 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm
    Local hero uses CTA heat lamps for best possible use: warming pizza

https://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/r ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #10 - January 17th, 2019, 6:00 pm
    Post #10 - January 17th, 2019, 6:00 pm Post #10 - January 17th, 2019, 6:00 pm
    LOL - I learned from Monica Eng on Facebook that the best way to reheat pizza is a sandwich press - Really! It works! Never going back to the microwave for my pizza reheating needs.
  • Post #11 - January 18th, 2019, 10:55 am
    Post #11 - January 18th, 2019, 10:55 am Post #11 - January 18th, 2019, 10:55 am
    zoid wrote:LOL - I learned from Monica Eng on Facebook that the best way to reheat pizza is a sandwich press - Really! It works! Never going back to the microwave for my pizza reheating needs.

I have two techniques for pizza.

The sandwich press is one of them - put the slices right on the bottom plate and adjust the top so it isn't touching. The crust crisps up and the top gets nice and bubbly again.

The other I invented myself, as far as I know. Prepare a baking sheet with a cooling-type rack on top of it - foiling the bottom is fine if you're worried about cleanup, but the rack should be open to let the bottom of the crust remain exposed. Put it into a COLD oven, and turn it to 425. When the oven comes to temp the pizza is ready. Also crispy crust and bubbly top. Saves half the time since you aren't first waiting for it to preheat. Better approach when you have more pizza than will fit on the panini maker.
    Last edited by chicagojim on January 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #12 - January 18th, 2019, 11:02 am
    Post #12 - January 18th, 2019, 11:02 am Post #12 - January 18th, 2019, 11:02 am
    I generally put a cast iron griddle in the oven while it's preheating at 450. Once it's ready, I'll throw my slices on the griddle for 7 to 10 minutes. Crispy crust and cheese is re-melted nicely.

I know this involves way too much work for leftover pizza, but I want that crispy crust!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more