LTH Home

The Polish Kitchen: Żurek (Sour Rye Soup)

The Polish Kitchen: Żurek (Sour Rye Soup)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Polish Kitchen: Żurek (Sour Rye Soup)

- October 10th, 2008, 12:08 am
    - October 10th, 2008, 12:08 am Post #1 - October 10th, 2008, 12:08 am
    Santander wrote:Excellent walkthrough, cultural context, and images. I'd love to make this. Come to think of it, I'd rather have you come over and make it.

Anyplace out in the restaurant world that serves something the way you like it, if I don't have prep / kidnapping time?

Around here, I like Szalas's zurek (they make it, if I recall correctly, as the recipe above, with bacon as the fat). To be honest, though, I don't really go to Polish restaurants very often, since I could always just go to Mom's for that.

Szalas Restaurant
    5214 S Archer Ave
    Chicago, IL 60632
    (773) 582-0300

I should say, do not be afraid to use the packets of barszcz bialy or zurek if you don't feel like fermenting for the better part of a week. You might also find a bottle of something like this at your local Polish deli. This zakwas is available at Bobak's, but labeled simply as "bialy barszcz."

Also, I should add that Polish red borscht is often made with pickled beets that undergo the same type of fermentation process as the white borscht described above. Instead of rye flour, you use beets cut into thin slices, mix them with water, garlic, and a couple rye bread crusts, and let them sit for about a week in a warm place. Maybe sometime in the winter I'll find the time to do the pickled beet borscht recipe.
    Last edited by Binko on October 10th, 2008, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more