LTH Home

Does "Good" Frozen Pizza Exist?

Does "Good" Frozen Pizza Exist?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - November 30th, 2018, 10:35 am
    Post #181 - November 30th, 2018, 10:35 am Post #181 - November 30th, 2018, 10:35 am
    Up here in the ole' L'Etoile du Nord territory (Minneapolis), there's a local frozen pizza that locals rave about. Heggie's - http://heggiespizza.com/

It's served in many bars/dives around the Twin Cities and I've often also found them in Northern Wisconsin "cabin country" roadside taverns (think Hayward/Spooner area).

They're pretty good with one noticeable difference from other pizzas - the cheese. They claim to use "real" Wisconsin mozzarella. This produces a creamy cheese that if cooked well, also browns on the edges. People used to chase the delivery trucks around to see where they could buy the pizzas (outside of bars) but recently, I've seen them at our local gas stations and even Costco. I've yet to see them at any grocery store though - just to add to the mystique. If you are up this way, try one out, they're pretty tasty.
  • Post #182 - November 30th, 2018, 2:49 pm
    Post #182 - November 30th, 2018, 2:49 pm Post #182 - November 30th, 2018, 2:49 pm
    Heggie's is great but best enjoyed at a bar that doesn't serve any other food. Those little Heggie's sized pizza ovens are whats up.
  • Post #183 - December 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am
    Post #183 - December 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am Post #183 - December 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am
    MunicipalTruckin wrote:Heggie's is great but best enjoyed at a bar that doesn't serve any other food. Those little Heggie's sized pizza ovens are whats up.

Totally agree. Although I would say that most frozen pizzas are best paired with several cold beverages. For some reason, that pairing works best with frozen pizza :wink:
  • Post #184 - December 3rd, 2018, 1:10 pm
    Post #184 - December 3rd, 2018, 1:10 pm Post #184 - December 3rd, 2018, 1:10 pm
    MunicipalTruckin wrote:Heggie's is great but best enjoyed at a bar that doesn't serve any other food. Those little Heggie's sized pizza ovens are whats up.

That's much like the old-school Tombstone pizzas. Back in the day (35+ years ago) my friends and I used to go camping in Wisconsin and there was a bar in a dinky town near where we camped and where we parked that had the little electric Tombstone oven. The pizzas were better then, but somehow getting it hot from the little oven made it better still.
  • Post #185 - December 3rd, 2018, 4:52 pm
    Post #185 - December 3rd, 2018, 4:52 pm Post #185 - December 3rd, 2018, 4:52 pm
    Kid Charlemagne wrote:Whole Foods has a brand called Table5 that is pretty good. It's not a particularly large pizza, so at its regular price of $7-8 it's a little pricey but it's been on sale a number of times as low as $4.79, and at that price it's about as good as it gets, and I'll pick up a couple anytime I see it at that price point.

It's cornmeal crust, they've got a mushroom, a 4-cheese, and a pepperoni pizza, and it's probably good for one or two people.

I second this, with a caveat. It doesn't resemble any pizza I've ever had in a pizza place. But if you just landed on this planet, and were only judging it on the criterion of "does this taste good, and am I enjoying eating it," it makes the grade.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #186 - December 7th, 2018, 4:05 pm
    Post #186 - December 7th, 2018, 4:05 pm Post #186 - December 7th, 2018, 4:05 pm
    We go through streaks. Our current go to frozen pizza is Palermo's ultra thin "deluxe". We add a bit of extra cheese, some pepperoni if we have some and whatever else the fridge yields up, but the basic pizza had a nice sauce, bakes in about 12 minutes and the crust is indeed thin and crisp.

For a long time we bought the crust and sauce combos from Whole Foods, then they stopped carrying them. They were called something like Mama Mary's. Then we found the crusts and sauce separately at Cost Plus, but then the closed the South Loop store..."

When I just want a pizza on a Friday night I have a hard time buying one from a pizza place for well over 20 bucks and then paying a delivery fee and then waiting forever for something to arrive luke warm and soggy. Palermo's gets the job done.

The mystery is when we walk through our trash room on Monday morning and see a huge pile of Dominoe's boxes in the corner that have accumulated since Friday. In a city with so many options you order Dominoes'?? Sometimes there will be a Little Ceasars's mixed in, which is even more disturbing.
  • Post #187 - December 7th, 2018, 5:37 pm
    Post #187 - December 7th, 2018, 5:37 pm Post #187 - December 7th, 2018, 5:37 pm
    chicagojim wrote:The mystery is when we walk through our trash room on Monday morning and see a huge pile of Dominoe's boxes in the corner that have accumulated since Friday. In a city with so many options you order Dominoes'?? Sometimes there will be a Little Ceasars's mixed in, which is even more disturbing.

For the price, a thin crust pizza from dominos is more than acceptable in my book.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more